Sluggo’s DIY Simulator

Our Sponsors

Ok, the first look at the simulator- still have some bugs to work out, but this will give you the idea...

• Like 7

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

Optishot does not like dark colored heads. When you add in the thicker turf it gets worse due to the increased distance from the turf to the sensors. The recommended fix is a white electrical tape strip on the sole of the club face along the edge.  Once I did this I had no issues with the driver. I also have a mevo set up behind me. I could then adjust the settings in Optishot for each club to get it all dialed in. I can play a round of golf and be very close to on course performance. 

Do you have a small light directly above the sensors?  I put up a can light with a fluorescent bulb and a 1 foot piece of drain tube that fit inside the can light to make it a focused light tunnel down to the sensors. This helped as well.  I'll take a picture if you want.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

• 2 weeks later...

That’s a nice setup but who makes that building you are in? That looks substantial

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion Heavy 10.5 closed face setting

Callaway Razor Fit 3 wood

Nickent 3 Hybrid

XR-OS 4i - 9i factory steel stiff 2 up +1

Ben Hogan 44,48,52,56

Nickent PP-01

Maxfli Tour Center of Gravity model

• 7 months later...
On 5/18/2020 at 12:40 PM, pozzit said:

1869458240_15737812205043.jpeg.52aefd56802e1f84e8112ab2e2092b81.jpeg

Well you went much nicer then my setup. I made this setup just before winter of 2016 and have had all but the JagmanJoe turf since then. I only hit foam balls so it makes it much simpler. I have an old(2012) laptop but i basically DIYed everything about it.

Optishot (Ebay)... $230

Optishot JagmanJoe Turf (bought 2019).... $65

Mat (construction foam & cheap grass carpet) ... $40?

Net (conduit, zipties & white durible fabric) ......$50

Projector...$89

Total ... $465ish 

Like i said a lot of random DIY. The stance mat i made is basically shot foam broke down where I stand. I did get a few moving blankets to add to the back in case I wanted to try real balls but my wife is way to concerned of me putting a hole in the wall, car, or anything else. 

As for the Optishot itself, I have really enjoyed it I use it only in the winters to keep swinging. As mentioned before I only use foam balls and only use it with my irons since its more headache then its worth with the woods. Although I haven't take the best care of it leaving it in the garage all winter & summer but its lasted and have seen no performance or durability issues. 

My mindset with the Optishot is like playing imaginary golf on the range. you get to hit balls, change clubs, play around, and have fun with some practice. Is it a Launch Monitor NO and it doesn't advertise this, but its a heck of a lot of fun and if you plug in your distances it can be just as good as any range session. 

Can you elaborate on your white durable fabric, used optishot on the way, cheap hitting mat, and may look at diy’ing the joe optishot turf since its 4-8 weeks backorder and imo expensive! I dont want to spend 150-200+ for a screen. Thank you all for all of your info and setups! 

Can you elaborate on your white durable fabric, used optishot on the way, cheap hitting mat, and may look at diy’ing the joe optishot turf since its 4-8 weeks backorder and imo expensive! I dont want to spend 150-200+ for a screen. Thank you all for all of your info and setups! 
So for the fabric I stopped at Joannes fabric and just looked for "projector like" screen that looked and felt durable since I was only going to hit foam balls into it. I searched until I found something at least 60" wide and went from there. Then added some eyeloop rivets and zip tied it to the frame.20210121_072140.jpg

As for the Mat I have adjusted it over the years since the height of the mat with Jagmanjoe changed and I wore out a spot on the lead foot. I started with a basic Styrofoam boards to get the height and bought the cheap green outdoor carpet from menards enough to cover the surface have since replaced the Styrofoam of the stance area with some random dense material laying around the house (in my case Tile backer board) and a few layers of the foam excercise mat.
20210121_072201.jpg

As for the Jagmanjoe Diy this is more tricky and why I just decided to buy it (I remember long lead time 4ish weeks but I bought it in sept/October) you will need 1/2" of soft grass(this accepts tees) and then they used a rubber like undermaterial for cushion and protection of the unit. Like national before Jacmanjoe is not required but after a year of slamming hard plastic is highly encouraged.
JPEG_20210121_072726_5324689609493896705.jpgJPEG_20210121_072634_1484906210492612958.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
3W:  Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead 2
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50º: Maltby TSW

56º:  Cleveland RTX-2 
60º: Maltby Tour Grind MG
Putter:  Odyssey White Hot RX 2-ball

Ball: Snell MTB X
Other: Arccos (first year lets see how it goes)
Handicap: 5.9  -  Best Score: 73 (1 over) Bryan Park - Players Course, Greensboro NC -2020

2020 MGS Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

5 hours ago, pozzit said:

So for the fabric I stopped at Joannes fabric and just looked for "projector like" screen that looked and felt durable since I was only going to hit foam balls into it. I searched until I found something at least 60" wide and went from there. Then added some eyeloop rivets and zip tied it to the frame.20210121_072140.jpg

As for the Mat I have adjusted it over the years since the height of the mat with Jagmanjoe changed and I wore out a spot on the lead foot. I started with a basic Styrofoam boards to get the height and bought the cheap green outdoor carpet from menards enough to cover the surface have since replaced the Styrofoam of the stance area with some random dense material laying around the house (in my case Tile backer board) and a few layers of the foam excercise mat.
20210121_072201.jpg

As for the Jagmanjoe Diy this is more tricky and why I just decided to buy it (I remember long lead time 4ish weeks but I bought it in sept/October) you will need 1/2" of soft grass(this accepts tees) and then they used a rubber like undermaterial for cushion and protection of the unit. Like national before Jacmanjoe is not required but after a year of slamming hard plastic is highly encouraged.
JPEG_20210121_072726_5324689609493896705.jpgJPEG_20210121_072634_1484906210492612958.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks! I was trying to figure out if I could use a commercial grade adhesive with some rubber backing and maybe 3d print something that would hold up but yeah after all that it would be better to just wait it out lol