TESTERS WANTED! ×

Favorite Texas Course?

31 minutes ago, TBT said:

I’m playing “The Quarry” in San Antonio next Monday, last minute trip staying near the course.

Make sure you have a BUNCH of water in the cart when you head to #10. It’s like a sauna on the back 9, but I love it anyway!!!! I wish I still covered San Antonio for work just to meet-up with a few guys I met there after work. Great guys to have a beer with afterwards too.

They have a cool emblem, and always have FJ shirts on-sale….

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

1 hour ago, TBT said:

I’m playing “The Quarry” in San Antonio next Monday, last minute trip staying near the course.

The back 9 is fun...

Driver:   TaylorMade Qi10 MAX - 8.5 with Fujikura Speeder NX TCS 50  (secondary shaft HRDZ Black 6.0 Stiff)
3 -Wood:  Sub70 949x 3 Wood 15 with Hrdz RDX Black Stiff
5-Wood:  Sub70 949x 5 Wood with Hrdz RDX Black stiff
4-Hybrid: Sub70 949x 4 Hybrid with Project X 5.5 Hybrid Stiff
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 - 6-PW , w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges: Sub70 TAIII w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff - 50 ,56, 60
Putter: L.A.B Mezz1, 34 in
Balls: MaxFli Tour X, TaylorMade Tour Response, TaylorMade TPx 
GPS:   Shot Scope X5 with Tracking

TESTED: SUB70 949X 5 Wood
TESTED: NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff.
TESTED: SkyCaddie LX5 GPS Watch
TESTED: Bag Boy ZFT Bag

On 3/27/2021 at 7:58 AM, PMookie said:

I traveled the whole State for work, and I have to say, Houston was very disappointing for quality public golf courses. A couple way out North, but other than Wildcat, which I didn’t care for, there aren’t many South.

BlackHorse Course is a nice one in the Houston area.. North and South

Driver:   TaylorMade Qi10 MAX - 8.5 with Fujikura Speeder NX TCS 50  (secondary shaft HRDZ Black 6.0 Stiff)

On 6/21/2021 at 6:50 PM, TBT said:

The Quarry has one of the best back nines, both in regards to scenery and difficulty, in the state. Good bass in the ponds on the front nine. Absolutely love that course. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

• 1 month later...
On 6/22/2021 at 7:59 AM, MrBandit said:

BlackHorse Course is a nice one in the Houston area.. North and South

Black Horse has quickly joined the ranks of overcrowded Houston golf courses. Paying $90+ for a tee time, and then having to wait for tee boxes and approach shots is pretty frustrating. Not to mention hole 13 on the South Course eats my lunch every time...

I've been fortunate enough to play Houston Oaks (in Big 12 championship condition). It will probably be my favorite course/experience in Texas till I die.

Tiger is the GOAT, change my mind.

1 hour ago, KurtActual said:

Black Horse has quickly joined the ranks of overcrowded Houston golf courses. Paying $90+ for a tee time, and then having to wait for tee boxes and approach shots is pretty frustrating. Not to mention hole 13 on the South Course eats my lunch every time...

I've been fortunate enough to play Houston Oaks (in Big 12 championship condition). It will probably be my favorite course/experience in Texas till I die.

I'm jealous you got to play Houston Oaks. That's on the S. Tex bucket list next to Whispering Pines.

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • Lefty

There is a course with a cliff on one of the bases in San Antonio. It was my first taste of Texas golf for a flatland fL boy. There is a cliff at the turn before a wild uphiller, I mean stories worth of terrain. My Pops was retired Airman. That was b4 TPC in Bastrop with opposing 9s, another in Bastrop w/ a few river holes, and all the glorious terrain found all over Texas. It's been 2 decades, my apologies for absence of names  and to myself for not living in Texas. Say Hi to Salt Lick Grill at Grissmill and the Pappas Bros.!!!

I haven't seen anyone mention this course yet, but I really like Vaaler Creek in Blanco. It is a very fun layout, and it has been in excellent shape all three times I have played it.

Glen

WITB 2023

PING G425 MAX Driver, Srixon ZX 5 wood, PING G410 7 wood, Callaway BIG BERTHA B21 4-hybrid, PING G430 5-Hybrid, Callaway BIG BERTHA B21 6-hybrid, Maltby TS3 7-8 irons, Callaway Apex 19  9-iron, PW, SW, LW, and Mizuno M-Craft 2 Putter

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/24/2021 at 8:16 AM, Golfjopa said:

Vaaler Creek in Blanco

I haven't heard of this course, but I will added to my list of course to visit next time I go down to SA to visit.

Being in DFW, we are blessed to have several great courses to play. I’ve played 75 of the top 100 public courses before joining a private club. These are some of my favs in north Texas!

Tierra Verde, Indian Creek-Creek course, Texas Star, Fossil Creek, Rockwood, Hawks Creek, Waterchase, Sugar Tree, Tempest, Tenison-Highlands course

I also play in a tourney every year at Horseshoe Bay and love Apple and Ram Rock courses. 

WITB:

Driver: PXG 0811 Proto X

3W: Callaway XR

3H/4H: Callaway Epic

Irons: PXG 0211 DC

Wedges: Ben Hogan Equalizers: 52, 58

I live in San Antonio and we have some golf yall!

1.  https://www.buckhorngolfcourse.com/ in comfort Texas you need to play this track

2. https://tpc.com/sanantonio/ north of down town. The Oaks PGA, and the Canyon tour Champions

3. https://www.alamocitygolftrail.com/brackenridge-park-golf-course/ right down town Brackenridge a hometown favorite.

Yall come down we have more tracks then you can play in a weekend and the best breakfast tacos too. 

Trickster, golfer and hole in oner! 

Taylormade Bag

Driver Taylormade Sim 10.5

Fairway Taylormade M2 15.0

hybrid Taylormade GARP 19.0

Irons Taylormade  SIM 4-PW

wedges Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58

Putter Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport tour rat. 

I've been playing some golf in Houston area for a few years, visiting over memorial day:

Golf Club of Houston, Tournament course, reminds me a bit of the inland Spyglass holes, always in great condition

Meadowbrook farms in Katy, decent Greg Norman track

Cypress Lakes, played it  a few times, fun course very good conditions as well

Memorial Park, have not played it after the renovation but the old layout was ok

The TPC course at the Woodlands, it was OK, decent track, enjoyed 

I've just played two courses in Dallas over July 4th, hope to maybe play a few more:

TPC at Las Colinas

Cottonwood Private course

Both were in excellent condition and a decent, fun challenge, I enjoyed the practice facility at the TPC

Driver:  Taylormade SIM2 10.5 OG Motore F3 70x with TP 1.5*  tip - 1 notch to lower

3W: Srixon ZX 15*, HZRDUS Smoke Black HandCrafted 6.0 

5W: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 18* TC serial, HZRDUS Yellow  70g

4i: Srixon ZU85 23*, Recoil F4 95S

5i: Srixon ZU85 26*, Recoil F4 95X

6-PW:  Callaway Apex MB 2021, Project X IO 6.0

Wedges: Vokey SM8 Blk 50-08F, SM8 56-08M (55*), Vokey SM8 WedgeWorks 60 T (61*)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5.5, Pistolini Grip

Ball: 2019 Taylormade TP5X (sometimes Pro-V1x left dash)

Bag:  Titleist Players 4 Stadry

11 minutes ago, SharkyM said:

I've been playing some golf in Houston area for a few years, visiting over memorial day:

Golf Club of Houston, Tournament course, reminds me a bit of the inland Spyglass holes, always in great condition

Meadowbrook farms in Katy, decent Greg Norman track

Cypress Lakes, played it  a few times, fun course very good conditions as well

Memorial Park, have not played it after the renovation but the old layout was ok

The TPC course at the Woodlands, it was OK, decent track, enjoyed 

I've just played two courses in Dallas over July 4th, hope to maybe play a few more:

TPC at Las Colinas

Cottonwood Private course

Both were in excellent condition and a decent, fun challenge, I enjoyed the practice facility at the TPC

My father-in-law and I also played this course in Houston, http://www.guswortham.org/   Gus Wortham, just after they completed a renovation.  It was a lot of fun too

Driver:  Taylormade SIM2 10.5 OG Motore F3 70x with TP 1.5*  tip - 1 notch to lower

3W: Srixon ZX 15*, HZRDUS Smoke Black HandCrafted 6.0 

5W: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 18* TC serial, HZRDUS Yellow  70g

4i: Srixon ZU85 23*, Recoil F4 95S

5i: Srixon ZU85 26*, Recoil F4 95X

6-PW:  Callaway Apex MB 2021, Project X IO 6.0

Wedges: Vokey SM8 Blk 50-08F, SM8 56-08M (55*), Vokey SM8 WedgeWorks 60 T (61*)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5.5, Pistolini Grip

Ball: 2019 Taylormade TP5X (sometimes Pro-V1x left dash)

Bag:  Titleist Players 4 Stadry

I enjoy playing the old municipal courses that are affordable, obtainable, and historical. Brakenridge in San Antonio (oldest in TX), Lions Municipal in Austin, Memorial Park in Houston. 

@prilltx

Golf is challenging, R U doing the work...or hoping 4 different outcomes?

Titleist C16 irons

Vokey 55°, 60° wedges

Cleveland 50°, 46° wedges

Ping Sigma2 41 inch putter

Titleist D2 driver, 904 / 908 3 and 5 wood 

I lived it Texas for 16 years and I played all over the state.  My favorite area is east Texas--Several great courses....Holly Tree in Tyler and The Challenge at Oak Forest Country club.  is also great.  You need to include many of the never mentioned little town courses in out of the way areas.  Some great courses that are inexpensive to play yet great players show up everyday and play them.  Some are 9 hole courses and others are 18 holes but stop while driving through all parts of the state at just play some of them.

Titleist TS 1 Driver Stiff graphite shaft

Titleist  TS2 16.5 degree 3 wood Stiff graphite shaft

Titleist  TS2 18 degree 5 Wood Stiff graphite shaft

Titliest TS2--21 degree Hybrid stiff light weight graphite shafts

Titliest T200 regular multi-material graphite shafts 2 degrees flat 5 thru gap wedge

Titliest Volkey wedges 54 and 58 stiff multi-material graphite shafts 2 degrees flat

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Trillium Te3 32" putter

I need to find my copy, but back in 2003, Jason Stone released the Texas Golf Bible and it had an overview of every course in Texas. It was amazing to see all of the nine hole courses in remote areas. I really wish a new version would come out but I understand how much time and effort it would take to create such a masterpiece. It was one of the thickest books I owned. 

https://www.amazon.com/Texas-Golf-Bible-Jason-Stone/dp/0972470700

• Lefty

• 2 weeks later...

Played Tempest today… I’ll never go back! Absolutely HATED this course!!!

I played Whispering Pines over the weekend and it is all that it's talked up to be...and more. Just pristine conditions. They resurfaced tees, fairways and greens during covid shutdown in the summer of 2020 so the greens didn't have the grain in them as you would expect. Zoysia tees, fairways and rough with bermuda (champions?) greens. Just the attention to detail on the course maintenance is amazing. If you ever get a chance to go, please do so. 

607317C1-D932-43C3-BF4C-4AD45EFD6EE4.png

499FD101-B054-4F4C-AE54-3B2620B9029F.jpeg

524E8D93-F844-4567-8A96-E912B22ABE96.png

• Lefty

18 hours ago, PMookie said:

Played Tempest today… I’ll never go back! Absolutely HATED this course!!!

REALLY! What happened? was it the COURSE, Staff? 

2 hours ago, MrBandit said:

REALLY! What happened? was it the COURSE, Staff? 

Course. Most rinky-dink set-up I’ve played since Palmer Course at La Cantera. Not a single flat lie in a fairway, tons of blind tee shots, fairways that sloped ridiculously and were only 25 yards wide, 40 yard walks uphill to tee boxes, etc, etc. Idiotic design.

First par 5 shows on the cart GPS that there are two breaks in the fairway. I hit 3 hybrid. Next shot from the fairway is blind. There was no first break in the fairway…. Hit PW to be short of the next break, which wasn’t there and couldn’t see the green or anything. Last shot is from 70 yards, on a steep decline to an elevated green. 3 hybrid, wedge, wedge par 5…… Complete joke of a course.

6 hours ago, txgolfjunkie said:

I played Whispering Pines over the weekend and it is all that it's talked up to be...and more. Just pristine conditions. They resurfaced tees, fairways and greens during covid shutdown in the summer of 2020 so the greens didn't have the grain in them as you would expect. Zoysia tees, fairways and rough with bermuda (champions?) greens. Just the attention to detail on the course maintenance is amazing. If you ever get a chance to go, please do so. 

607317C1-D932-43C3-BF4C-4AD45EFD6EE4.png

499FD101-B054-4F4C-AE54-3B2620B9029F.jpeg

524E8D93-F844-4567-8A96-E912B22ABE96.png

Dude I am so jealous of you getting to play there!!! That one is definitely on my bucket list of courses in this area. I got to play both the Carlton Woods courses several years ago.

Since you are in Montgomery know anybody you could kill to get on at Bluejack National? 🤣

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

4 hours ago, PMookie said:

Course. Most rinky-dink set-up I’ve played since Palmer Course at La Cantera. Not a single flat lie in a fairway, tons of blind tee shots, fairways that sloped ridiculously and were only 25 yards wide, 40 yard walks uphill to tee boxes, etc, etc. Idiotic design.

First par 5 shows on the cart GPS that there are two breaks in the fairway. I hit 3 hybrid. Next shot from the fairway is blind. There was no first break in the fairway…. Hit PW to be short of the next break, which wasn’t there and couldn’t see the green or anything. Last shot is from 70 yards, on a steep decline to an elevated green. 3 hybrid, wedge, wedge par 5…… Complete joke of a course.

Am sorry you didn't like the course. 

First time is challenging not know the layout ,but its gets better.. its a challenging course for those reason you mentioned. 

Funny you mention the La Cantera. That is one of my other favorite course.

24 minutes ago, MrBandit said:

Am sorry you didn't like the course. 

First time is challenging not know the layout ,but its gets better.. its a challenging course for those reason you mentioned. 

Funny you mention the La Cantera. That is one of my other favorite course.

I’d have to play Tempest 5 times to know what to do, and then I’d run out of balls for the year, so not worth it! 😂😂😂

The fact that there isn’t a single flat lie in a fairway is what’s most ridiculous. 

10 hours ago, PMookie said:

I’d have to play Tempest 5 times to know what to do, and then I’d run out of balls for the year, so not worth it! 😂😂😂

The fact that there isn’t a single flat lie in a fairway is what’s most ridiculous. 

Cmon man.. you sound like you are a great player..  can't believe you would let uneven lies get you. The views on some of the holes are great. Some are visually intimidating.

I may loose 1 ball a round there mostly because I hit into the forest or the creek trying to go for it.

Last time I played there maybe 2 months ago now, had my best round there. didn't even loose a ball, (i was trying to.. )🤣

I would suggest WolfDancer next, there are alot of flat lies there, but its a challenging course.

Tempest2.jpg

TempestPar3.jpg

tempest1.jpg

tempest5.jpg

6 minutes ago, MrBandit said:

Cmon man.. you sound like you are a great player..  can't believe you would let uneven lies get you. The views on some of the holes are great. Some are visually intimidating.

I may loose 1 ball a round there mostly because I hit into the forest or the creek trying to go for it.

Last time I played there maybe 2 months ago now, had my best round there. didn't even loose a ball, (i was trying to.. )🤣

I would suggest WolfDancer next, there are alot of flat lies there, but its a challenging course.

Tempest2.jpg

TempestPar3.jpg

tempest1.jpg

tempest5.jpg

Nah, Tempest is ridiculous. 

@MrBanditI only cover E TX for work, so Wolfdancer is WAY too far away, around a 7 hour drive for me, so I’ll just keep heading down to Pine Dunes once-a-year. It’s a 90 min drive from Longview, but I love that course. Challenging, but fair.

10 hours ago, PMookie said:

There is a course like this in NH and my co-worker loves it. I mapped it and I see why now. Almost none of the holes have 65 yards wide to take driver without risking the trees, but is long enough that if you are not taking driver get the long irons out. On top of this yes you can be in the fairway with the ball a foot or more above or below your feet. Plenty of times the rough is the flatest place on the course. Of course now that its in my head I fully expect if I ever play it again it won't go well.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3