TESTERS WANTED! ×

Ben Hogan

GraceRW

The Ben Hogan golf company and brand must be one of the most exciting prospects this decade to emerge from golf recently (I’m very fond of PXG too, but price point puts them out of reach for the average Joe). Just to confuse things, I game Mizuno and Titleist...

Edited by GraceRW

Yup, they are......have a set of Ptx irons and Tk Wedges. Great clubs, terrific customer service.

BTW, I see you are a newbie......welcome aboard

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• 2 weeks later...

So far I am pleased with my new Icon blades.  I reshafted them from KBS Tour V 110 stiff shafts to Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff shafts.  For me, a HUGE improvement.  The Icons are performing similarly to the 1999 Ben Hogan Apex blades I was playing.  I had adjusted my lofts to: 3 iron - 21 degrees, 4 iron - 24 degrees, 5 iron - 27 degrees, 6 iron 30 degrees, and the rest of the set progressing by 4 degrees loft.  The icons are 4 iron - 22 degrees, 5 iron - 26 degrees, 6 iron - 30 degrees and so on.  The distances for the 4 and 5 irons will have to get used to but the other irons are performing nearly the same in distance and maybe a smidge higher in trajectory.  I love the V sole and how the turf interaction are with the Icons.  I had a tendency to take a decent divot with the '99 Apex blades because of the stronger lofts resulting in a little less bounce.  I am finding that slight mishits don't result in a dramatic distance loss, maybe 1/2 club to a club at the very worst.  This is the same as I found with the '99 Apex blades.  Maybe blades promote better and repeatable swings to play well but I find these fairly easy to hit.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°/ 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW:  Callaway MD5 Jaws 54°, TT DG Tour Issue S200 115g wedge shaft

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

• 1 year later...

I just got a set of PTx Pro 4-PW and the Equalizer II wedges about a month ago.   I must say the feel is amazing and if you are a audiophile the sound they make is beautiful click when striking the ball.   IMO for bang for the buck they cannot be beat.   I am looking forward to the 115°F heat to drop a little here in Phoenix so I can get out and hit them more. 

Keep swinging - JC

Driver: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0811 XF (9°)

Wood(s): th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0341 XF (7w)

Irons:  :Hogan: PTxPro 4-PW

Wedges:   :Hogan: Equalizer II (56°, 60°)

Putter:  :ping-small: Zing Bronze

Ball:  image.png.5e3f3d4f8b31082a6504dff683a91313.png Tour X

Did you test the PTx Pros against any other irons? Understanding that feel is subjective I would like to get your opinion on feel on other clubs if there were others considered.

I am actually struggling with the feel a bit with the Hogans but everything else is good. The numbers on trackman were the best for the Hogan versus the other two irons I tested (Cobra MIM and Sub 70 639) but the "feel" was not soft and not very specific on mishits. But, that may be the point? I think all in all they are probably the most "forgiving" in comparison to the two other irons I tested so maybe that is it?

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/12/2021 at 9:54 AM, vandyland said:

Did you test the PTx Pros against any other irons? Understanding that feel is subjective I would like to get your opinion on feel on other clubs if there were others considered.

I am actually struggling with the feel a bit with the Hogans but everything else is good. The numbers on trackman were the best for the Hogan versus the other two irons I tested (Cobra MIM and Sub 70 639) but the "feel" was not soft and not very specific on mishits. But, that may be the point? I think all in all they are probably the most "forgiving" in comparison to the two other irons I tested so maybe that is it?

This spring I tested the the PTx Pros against the Icons, and the Callaway Apex and Apex Pros. I had similar confusion about the the seeming lack of feel in the PTx Pros. Making the comparison between the Callaway Apex and the PTx Pros, it was much harder to interpret the feedback from the Hogans versus what the Apex provided. I agree with your observation of the sort of hard feeling face, I might describe it as a slapping sensation at times rather than a smooth contact. I also had relatively good numbers for the PTx Pros, they were very competitive with the Apex, but the feel between the two wasn't even close for me.

Ultimately, I ended up going with the Icons specifically because of the excellent feel. With a seemingly softer face that was informative on mishits, but provided plenty of pop and a surprising amount of forgiveness, they gave very similar numbers and had similar feel to the Apex Pros, but at only 60% of the cost. Been playing them for about 1.5 months and nothing but warm and fuzzy feelings so far!

-Ross

WITB: GBB Epic driver 9 deg. Aldila Rogue Max XS; Titleist 915F 3 wood 16.5 deg.; Ben  Hogan Icon 4-P. Vokey wedges 52, 56, 60 deg. Odessey white hot Rossie blade.

What's funny is I ended up buying the PTXpros and I am currently awaiting delivery because the numbers and consistency were too good to ignore. Like, I was trying to find a club that could beat them on performance for my game and my swing and I couldn't. Frankly, after hitting some of the clubs mentioned below I got so in love with feel that I wanted a club to beat the Hogans and for me they didn't. Ultimately I decided I would not be wooed by feel or looks too much (even though the Hogans are good looking to me). To that point, I can safely say these irons "feel" better (in order of "softness" to me, whatever that is worth):

Sub 70 639CB - had some erratic carry distances but dispersion was good. Best feel of the group. Pillow soft on the center.
Mizuno MP-20 MMC - hit these pretty well but had some erratic spin numbers. Nice soft effortless feeling on center contact.
New Level 902 Forged - hit these well but they didn't feel as good as Sub 70s and had similar carry distance flux. Middle of the pack feel-wise.
Cobra MIM King Tour - these were really good, very close to the Hogans performance-wise but just a little hot and could produce some fliers from time to time. Feel very solid and thumpy.
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour - didn't really get along with these like I thought I would. I hit these side by side with the MMCs and a noticeable different in center of the face feel. 

But, probably not a fair comparison with some of those clubs as some are one piece forgings and the Hogan is very much a multi-material/piece club. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/12/2021 at 8:54 AM, vandyland said:

I compared them to BH Icons and also to Ping G425s.   I enjoyed hitting the Icons, but i didnt feel my game was ready for a true blade.  That said the Icons I demoed were more forgiving than i expected and my numbers were were pretty equal to the PTx pros.  The PTx just gave me more confidence,  probably 100% mental but having confidence over the ball matters IMO.  I would put the Pings at a close second.  More like a 1a and 1b.  Most of my playing friends all hit Ping irons and I have sampled there clubs from time to time.  Also being here in Phoenix it seems like someone knows someone that works at Ping that can get you a discount, but with the PTx and 435s being so close it didnt make sense for me to spend the extra $500+ for the Pings.    Save that $$ for new driver.

Glad to see you ordered a set of PTx pros, I have gotten out a bit more and thoroughly enjoy hitting them.  I think you will be happy, I have been so far. 

Keep swinging - JC

Driver: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0811 XF (9°)

Wood(s): th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0341 XF (7w)

Irons:  :Hogan: PTxPro 4-PW

Wedges:   :Hogan: Equalizer II (56°, 60°)

Putter:  :ping-small: Zing Bronze

Ball:  image.png.5e3f3d4f8b31082a6504dff683a91313.png Tour X

• 3 months later...

Does anyone have the Black finish Equalizer (I or II) wedges and, if so, can you show a picture of how they wear over time? I am thinking about pulling the trigger on a Black finish Equalizer II 50*.

28 minutes ago, vandyland said:

Does anyone have the Black finish Equalizer (I or II) wedges and, if so, can you show a picture of how they wear over time? I am thinking about pulling the trigger on a Black finish Equalizer II 50*.

I have the original black equalizers but just got them on clearance and are solid. I researched and found a bunch of posts stating the dark finished held better than any wedge they'd had before. I've only got a couple of rounds on mine and absolutely no discoloration so far, I've played out of course sand and a goat ranch of fairways and happy thus far.

David

:taylormade-small: SIM 9* - Hzdrus RDX Black 70

:taylormade-small: M1-3HL- Hzdrus RDX Blue 70

:callaway-small:     Steelhead 7WD RCH99

:bridgestone-small: J15 CB 4-pw C-Taper Lite

:benhogan-small:Equalizer Wedges 50*-54*-58* V- Tour

:seemore:- M3W