Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Anybody prefer fairway woods with DEEPER FACES

bmcdonald

A Ping G-15 3-wood with a Fujikara shaft has been in the bag for maybe 14 years.  During this time I've probably replaced every other club in my bag 4-5 times.  Twice I've purchased new 3-woods to match my current driver but I dislike the SHALLOW face profile and have gone back to that trusty DEEP FACE Ping.

I love it off the Tee Box and find myself hitting it more than ever these days.  I've gotten much better with my irons and just really need to be in PLAY  off the tee so I'm leaving the Driver in the bag often.

The questions in my head is this.  Why have all the manufactures moved to such a shallow face on their fairway woods ?  Do other people besides me find it easier to hit a deeper faced fairway wood?

I'm actually considering having that old three wood reconditioned by ping because....well she ain't so pretty anymore...

Really depends on how you play your 3 wood. If its mostly used off the tee, then yes, I could see a deeper face being preferred. There are still some new options out there that fit this sort of profile like the Cobra Big Tour. But if you using fairways woods off the fairway, then most people think a shallower face it easier to launch the ball high. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

Agreed.  I just don't have enough speed to hit a deep faced fairway wood off the deck with sufficient launch angle.  Off the tee, a deep face would be better for sure, but off the deck, I need a shallow face.  Since I would primarily play the fairway off the deck, that's where I go.  I'll typically just choke down on the driver if I need more control.  Most of the drivers have such an upright lie angle these days that choking down gets it to a more reasonable lie anyway.  

Loved my Callaway War Bird (USA) 3w. Had a deep face and was stupid easy to hit off the deck and tee. Think I'll put in play next time.

Sent from my SM-A205U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

On 5/18/2020 at 11:51 AM, scooterhd2 said:

Really depends on how you play your 3 wood. If its mostly used off the tee, then yes, I could see a deeper face being preferred. There are still some new options out there that fit this sort of profile like the Cobra Big Tour. But if you using fairways woods off the fairway, then most people think a shallower face it easier to launch the ball high. 

That is helpful.   I find myself wondering if being able the 3-wood off the tee or the fairway is more important. 

On 5/19/2020 at 3:11 PM, bmcdonald said:

That is helpful.   I find myself wondering if being able the 3-wood off the tee or the fairway is more important. 

Agreed, for me it's more of weapon off the tee and I'd really prefer that deeper face. With the tight lies around here it's a non starter for me in the fairway, I take a 2 iron any day over a shallow 3 wood.

Driver: :adams-small: Super Speedline S - 9.5 Diamana XS 60

3W & 3Hy: :adams-small: Super Speedline S - Stiff

Irons: :taylormade-small: RAC OS II - Stiff -  Standard loft/lie

Wedges::callaway-small: MD3 S-Grind 52, 56

Putter: :taylormade-small: TP Ardmore 3 - L Neck

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1X

Bag: :titelist-small: Players 4 Stand Bag

Fort Worth, TX- RH - 10 Handicap

I always struggled with 3w off the deck until I got the TM M2 HL 3W. As others have said, much prefer a deeper face off the tee. 

Ping G400, TM M2 HL 3w, Cobra Baffler Pro 20, Ping S55 4-pw, SM7 50, 54, 60, Odyssey White  Hot 8, Prov1x