TESTERS WANTED! ×

Pro Golfers Who Fell Off The Map

PMookie

In the last few days I’ve been watching golf from earlier in the 2000s, and even late 90s. Golfers like Geoff Ogilvy, Mike Weir, Luke Donald, etc were names that consistently were toward the top of leaderboards. What happened to those guys? Swing changes? Injuries? Health changes?

Who are some golfers you don’t see much anymore, or even names from the past that kind of disappeared as time went on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I would say age. 90s to early 2000s is 20+ years ago. These players are at least in their 40s and probably don’t play enough or well enough to quality for events.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I would say age. 90s to early 2000s is 20+ years ago. These players are at least in their 40s and probably don’t play enough or well enough to quality for events.

Not saying now, just back then. Donald reached number 1 in the world, then, BOOM. Weir won the Masters, had a good couple years, then, BOOM. Ogilvy won some, then, BOOM. Look at how Ernie, and Phil, even Sergio have all stuck around. Just seems odd that there were golfers that were good for 4-5 years, top 10 ranked, then they disappeared.

In the last few days I’ve been watching golf from earlier in the 2000s, and even late 90s. Golfers like Geoff Ogilvy, Mike Weir, Luke Donald, etc were names that consistently were toward the top of leaderboards. What happened to those guys? Swing changes? Injuries? Health changes?

Who are some golfers you don’t see much anymore, or even names from the past that kind of disappeared as time went on?

I saw Luke Donald was at one of the tour events this year before the shutdown. Not sure if he made it to the weekend.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I saw Luke Donald was at one of the tour events this year before the shutdown. Not sure if he made it to the weekend.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Seems he fell hard. From #1 to nothing. Seems odd.

Weir and Donald can be attributed to injury and being short hitters. Weir tore a ligament in his elbow in 2010 I believe and he's not been the same since. Donald's just gotten off a major medical exemption from a back injury.

Not being long hitters and dealing with chronic pain, not a good recipe for success on the PGA Tour.

Ogilvy, I don't have a clue. His game just sort of disappeared.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

1 hour ago, PMookie said:

Not saying now, just back then. Donald reached number 1 in the world, then, BOOM. Weir won the Masters, had a good couple years, then, BOOM. Ogilvy won some, then, BOOM. Look at how Ernie, and Phil, even Sergio have all stuck around. Just seems odd that there were golfers that were good for 4-5 years, top 10 ranked, then they disappeared.

I think that is the general case.  In my opinion it is rare for golfers to just stick around unless they want to do champions tour.  We could probably look and find players from the past 10 years that played well and then didn't do much.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I mean, you could add someone like Spieth to list as well. It’s just extremely difficult to maintain that level of excellence over a longer period of time.

As we look at people who fell off the “peak”, being a short hitter seems to be a commonality. For these guys it’s a combination of the game evolving to cater to bomb and gouge style, and the need to have such strong short games and putting. Without above average length, you’re kinda behind the 8-ball after every tee shot.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I mean, you could add someone like Spieth to list as well. It’s just extremely difficult to maintain that level of excellence over a longer period of time.
As we look at people who fell off the “peak”, being a short hitter seems to be a commonality. For these guys it’s a combination of the game evolving to cater to bomb and gouge style, and the need to have such strong short games and putting. Without above average length, you’re kinda behind the 8-ball after every tee shot.

Spieth is a good one. In just five years his game has disappeared!

Natural process of aging and injury.

Many of us could limp with injury and aging body ,enjoy a round of casual golf , but to compete on the top level with some of the best golfers in the world is an entirely different story.  The way young kids these days, have to push their physical ability to the limit is no good news.  Going all out with each golf swing will eventually cause injury.  Not in a few decades but more like in a few years.  

I was watching old Master's telecasts and took a step back when I saw Hunter Mahan's name.  He never reached the peak of some of the other names, but was top 10 in the world and #4 for a while.  

WITB

Driver: Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Diamana DF 60 TX

3 Wood: Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Diamana Blueboard or Taylor Made 300 Mini 11.5º w/ Fuji Ventus TR Red

Hybrids: Callaway Super Hybrid 17º w/ Tensei Orange

Titleist 816 H1 21º w/ Diamana Blueboard or Srixon U85 w/ UST Recoil

Irons (6-43º): Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

Wedges: 48º Vokey SM6, 54º SM8, 60º Tour Issued Hand Ground Vokey

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

I was watching old Master's telecasts and took a step back when I saw Hunter Mahan's name.  He never reached the peak of some of the other names, but was top 10 in the world and #4 for a while.  

Yeah, seeing him go from Ryder Cup, to Korn Ferry was crazy!!!! Gotta be mental.

Chris DiMarco, Boo Weekley, and Chad Campbell, Hunter Mahan come to mind. 

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

This is an interesting topic and makes you thinks back doesn't it. To stay in top rankings year after year is a feat. Let along over a decade... or two? I'd guess like most pro sports the list of short-timers would be very long indeed. Spieth is a great example. So much accomplished in a very short period of time. I'm doubtful he'll ever return to the top. His head probably won't allow it.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Lucas Glover comes to mind. Won the 2009 US Open, and not much after...

Dave Duval had a lot of success, then fell off the map.

Trever Immelman, Padroig Harrington.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

17 hours ago, Jwhite86 said:

I always think about this guy, he was such an up and coming and just lost his game ? not sure of injury or what but I think he is on the Korn Ferry ... pretty crazy 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

I also wonder if some of these guys just burn out, mentally, physically.. They been playing golf their whole life and at some point golf prob took a back seat to something else in their lives. Would be a great story if Hunter Mahan could make it back to the PGA tour. 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

Lucas Glover comes to mind. Won the 2009 US Open, and not much after...
Dave Duval had a lot of success, then fell off the map.
Trever Immelman, Padroig Harrington.
Duval had some of the worst injury luck. I think Padrig was already a bit older than most top guys when he broke through with his Open & PGA wins.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Geoff Ogilvy talks about it quite a bit on The Fried Egg.  He just got tired of the constant travel and scaled his life back.  Sold his house in Scottsdale and moved back to Australia.  Guys like Justin Leonard, Corey Pavin and Lee Janzen were hurt by the solid core golf ball.  Luke Donald and Jordan Spieth have hurt themselves chasing distance.  Hunter Mahan and Lucas Glover got distracted in their personal lives.  Mike Weir got stacked and tilted. 

Edit to add; Martin Kaymer has always had larger peaks and valleys than other top players in the world.  But trying to move away from a natural fade to a draw has hurt him a lot too.

There have been many pros who fell off the map due to putting, who've revived their careers with long putters - e.g. Langer, Scott, Simpson.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

3 hours ago, sixcat said:

Geoff Ogilvy talks about it quite a bit on The Fried Egg.  He just got tired of the constant travel and scaled his life back.  Sold his house in Scottsdale and moved back to Australia.  Guys like Justin Leonard, Corey Pavin and Lee Janzen were hurt by the solid core golf ball.  Luke Donald and Jordan Spieth have hurt themselves chasing distance.  Hunter Mahan and Lucas Glover got distracted in their personal lives.  Mike Weir got stacked and tilted. 

Edit to add; Martin Kaymer has always had larger peaks and valleys than other top players in the world.  But trying to move away from a natural fade to a draw has hurt him a lot too.

Explain your solid core golf ball theory.

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

32 minutes ago, Titleist87 said:

Explain your solid core golf ball theory.

The ball doesn't spin anymore like it did with wound balls.  Controlling that spin was vital to posting a score.  The solid core golf ball evens the playing field by bringing more guys into the mix.  It's sort of taking some of the skill and importance out of ball striking.  

Guys like Leonard, Pavin and Janzen used the spin of a wound ball to their advantage.  They controlled the golf ball better than almost everyone else.  It was an advantage for them.  Now, straight up distance is king because guys can lash at the ball without much concern of losing 100 yards in distance and the ball going 100 yards offline.

Here are some articles I remember from way back when on the topic.

https://vault.si.com/vault/2001/04/16/great-balls-of-fire-the-record-low-cut-at-the-masters-was-only-the-latest-example-of-how-a-hot-trend-in-equipment-has-affected-the-tour

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/how-the-titleist-pro-v1-revolu

https://golf.com/gear/golf-balls/tiger-woods-golf-ball-nike/

https://golf.com/gear/golf-balls/mark-omeara-explains-how-he-influenced-tiger-woods-change-to-modern-golf-ball/

When high spin players like Leonard can't change their swing to match up better with a low spin game, they get boat-raced.  The solid core golf ball actually hurts them because they lose distance, control and more importantly, confidence.  

2 hours ago, sixcat said:

The ball doesn't spin anymore like it did with wound balls.  Controlling that spin was vital to posting a score.  The solid core golf ball evens the playing field by bringing more guys into the mix.  It's sort of taking some of the skill and importance out of ball striking.  

Guys like Leonard, Pavin and Janzen used the spin of a wound ball to their advantage.  They controlled the golf ball better than almost everyone else.  It was an advantage for them.  Now, straight up distance is king because guys can lash at the ball without much concern of losing 100 yards in distance and the ball going 100 yards offline.

Not sure this argument holds water.

Leonard finished every major in 2002 in top 20. 8 of his 12 wins came after the ball change. Maybe it helped him? 

Pavin missed 5 of 8 cuts in majors prior to 2000. Which is prior to the ball change. His game was already falling off. 

Janzen never won again after 98 open. If you look at his record nothing changes before or after ball change. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Chris DiMarco, Boo Weekley, and Chad Campbell, Hunter Mahan come to mind. 

Boo! After the Ryder Cup, not much. Great character that is missed!

Yeah, Boo's another one who's career took a nosedive after injury. He's been dealing with tendonitis for quite awhile.

Boo! After the Ryder Cup, not much. Great character that is missed!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

Not sure this argument holds water.

Leonard finished every major in 2002 in top 20. 8 of his 12 wins came after the ball change. Maybe it helped him? 

Pavin missed 5 of 8 cuts in majors prior to 2000. Which is prior to the ball change. His game was already falling off. 

Janzen never won again after 98 open. If you look at his record nothing changes before or after ball change. 

It was never intended to be an “argument” not was it ever presented that way. You’ll have to forgive me if I take Ogilvy’s opinion over yours!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

11 minutes ago, sixcat said:

It was never intended to be an “argument” not was it ever presented that way. You’ll have to forgive me if I take Ogilvy’s opinion over yours!

I didn’t offer my opinion, just the facts. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I don’t want any controversy but this is an interesting thread.
There has to be a ton of players who for some reason fell off the end of the earth.
Quite a few have been mentioned that make sense.
Good job.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list