TESTERS WANTED! ×

So... What's really in your bag?

6 hours ago, BNewton51 said:

I can't say I've given it any thought.  The difference in feel between iron sets would throw my game off.  Not a bad thing, obviously, if it works for any specific player.  Just not something I could consider.  Not to mention my OCD would kick in full bore and I'd never be able to get past the differences in two iron styles. 

You're right. I had a problem with the two styles as well. I feel sure when Spring arrives I'll go back to the JPX 850 four, five and six.

How do you like your 919s? I'm thinking it may be time to upgrade my irons in the next year or so.

Drive for Show; Putt for Dough

6 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:

You're right. I had a problem with the two styles as well. I feel sure when Spring arrives I'll go back to the JPX 850 four, five and six.

How do you like your 919s? I'm thinking it may be time to upgrade my irons in the next year or so.

I'm absolutely in love with them frankly!  These provide more feedback that most irons I've played, are softer than anything i've EVER played and they are surprisingly forgiving for a club that is essentially a blade.  I couldn't recommend them enough.  

I did test out the 921.  They do both feel about the same frankly.  However, the spin numbers on the 919's is outrageous.  They are so high that it was frankly a bit unplayable to obtain any sort of distance with them.  Now, the lofts are different that's for sure but it's a huge difference.  At least in my swings and hitting experience.  

BUT, like I always say, each swing is completely different so you may see different results.  I am just saying what I've experienced.  

If you have any other specific questions on them, I'm more than happy to answer them. 

BNewt51

Golf Addict.... Father of 4.  Pennsylvania Golfer 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond - Ventus Red X :callaway-small:

3 Wood:  TS2 14* :titleist-small:

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Irons:  Titleist T-150 4-PW Steel Fiber CW 110 - Stiff  :titleist-small:

Wedges:  Vokey 48-8 Vokey 54-10 Vokey 58-6 all SM9's  :titleist-small:

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

Ball:  Pro-V1x :titleist-small:

Titleist Tour Carry Bag Black and White  :titleist-small:

Bushnell Range Finder (Patriot Pack)  

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

On 12/15/2020 at 2:24 PM, BNewton51 said:

I'm absolutely in love with them frankly!  These provide more feedback that most irons I've played, are softer than anything i've EVER played and they are surprisingly forgiving for a club that is essentially a blade.  I couldn't recommend them enough.  

I did test out the 921.  They do both feel about the same frankly.  However, the spin numbers on the 919's is outrageous.  They are so high that it was frankly a bit unplayable to obtain any sort of distance with them.  Now, the lofts are different that's for sure but it's a huge difference.  At least in my swings and hitting experience.  

BUT, like I always say, each swing is completely different so you may see different results.  I am just saying what I've experienced.  

If you have any other specific questions on them, I'm more than happy to answer them. 

I'll probably look at both. However it may be difficult to find 919s to demo. Our club only offers the current model in demos and fittings.  I'm also interested in looking at Hogan irons too. I played them for years as you might have guessed from my screen name. I think they'll send you a couple of clubs to try since they don't sell through retail or pro shops. 

Anyway, we should get back on topic so as not to hijack this thread. 

Edited by Hoganman1

3 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:

I'll probably look at both. However it may be difficult to find 919s to demo. Our club only offers the current model in demos and fittings.  I'm also interested in looking at Hogan irons too. I played them for years as you might have guessed from my screen name. I think they'll send you a couple of clubs to try since they don't sell through retail or pro shops. 

you wont go wrong with either of those options!  At this point though, the 921's would be the way to go.  Tough finding even a decent used set of 919's.  Most people hold on to them because they are just that good.  But like I said, the 921 is essentially the same club with less toe weighting. (designed moved some of that weight around as compared to the 919's)

BNewt51

Golf Addict.... Father of 4.  Pennsylvania Golfer 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond - Ventus Red X :callaway-small:

3 Wood:  TS2 14* :titleist-small:

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Irons:  Titleist T-150 4-PW Steel Fiber CW 110 - Stiff  :titleist-small:

Wedges:  Vokey 48-8 Vokey 54-10 Vokey 58-6 all SM9's  :titleist-small:

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

Ball:  Pro-V1x :titleist-small:

Titleist Tour Carry Bag Black and White  :titleist-small:

Bushnell Range Finder (Patriot Pack)  

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

On 11/21/2020 at 1:53 PM, Hoganman1 said:

Well, it's almost Winter here in NC. I know you guys in the North have no sympathy for us in the South. However, it's time to go to my "Winter Bag". I'm replacing my Mizuno JPX 850 forged irons (4-GW) with my Taylormade 2017 M2 HL irons (4-AW). Since I'm not playing or practicing as much I find the M2s a little easier to play when it's colder. They don't feel as good as the Mizunos, but the stronger lofts help too. I did this last year and it worked fairly well. I'll play the same driver (Ping G400), fairways (Callaway Mavrik Max 3&5) and sand wedge (Cleveland CG15 56*). I'll also go with the Titleist AVX versus the ProV1. It seems to perform better for me when it's cold. As always my trusty Odyssey White Hot Tour putter will stay right where it's been for a decade.

Just noticed this you live in Charlotte---- I am proud to say I am a genuine born and bred product of North Charlotte and no it was different than NODA is today. I was out on the North 29 end which is Tryon Street now but my bud lived on North Brevard and I spent a lot of time there too. I tell people I am a graduate of UNC--- The University of North Charlotte @ Paradise Valley or Eastwood=== One has to be a native or long time resident of Charlotte to catch the last two

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

3 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Just noticed this you live in Charlotte---- I am proud to say I am a genuine born and bred product of North Charlotte and no it was different than NODA is today. I was out on the North 29 end which is Tryon Street now but my bud lived on North Brevard and I spent a lot of time there too. I tell people I am a graduate of UNC--- The University of North Charlotte @ Paradise Valley or Eastwood=== One has to be a native or long time resident of Charlotte to catch the last two

I remember both Paradise Valley and Eastwood. I played at Crystal Springs back in the late 70s. It's a shame they're all gone as are Larkhaven and Pawtuckett.  We're actually losing many of the newer courses in the area such as Regent Park, Charlotte Golf Links and soon to be gone Ballantyne Resort. The country clubs are still strong, but public courses are giving way to home development. I joined Myers Park back in 1983. It was more affordable back then. Unfortunately, most of the private clubs are very expensive today.

11 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

I remember both Paradise Valley and Eastwood. I played at Crystal Springs back in the late 70s. It's a shame they're all gone as are Larkhaven and Pawtuckett.  We're actually losing many of the newer courses in the area such as Regent Park, Charlotte Golf Links and soon to be gone Ballantyne Resort. The country clubs are still strong, but public courses are giving way to home development. I joined Myers Park back in 1983. It was more affordable back then. Unfortunately, most of the private clubs are very expensive today.

My old man ran Paradise Valley I grew up in the white house when you come up the hill on 9. My friend who grew up on North Brevard is a member at Pine Island. His family were members at Carolina for 3 generations until they screwed up the Ross Design. I think all the old school courses are gone now except Sunset Hills. Hill Crest (we called Hell Crest) Oak Hills are gone too. Old Sharon Golf Club is gone too. Oh another old school course still around Revolution Park now named  Charles Sifford. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 12/19/2020 at 8:41 PM, BIG STU said:

My old man ran Paradise Valley I grew up in the white house when you come up the hill on 9. My friend who grew up on North Brevard is a member at Pine Island. His family were members at Carolina for 3 generations until they screwed up the Ross Design. I think all the old school courses are gone now except Sunset Hills. Hill Crest (we called Hell Crest) Oak Hills are gone too. Old Sharon Golf Club is gone too. Oh another old school course still around Revolution Park now named  Charles Sifford. 

I actually like what they've done at Carolina Golf Club. You're right that some of the changes are not "Ross Like". The second hole's forced carry of the tee isn't something Ross would have done in my opinion. However, the rest of the holes play basically  the same as before except they're longer. Frankly. I think it's better than my course at MPCC. My son-in-law is a member at CGCC and he and his pals love the course. 

24 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:

I actually like what they've done at Carolina Golf Club. You're right that some of the changes are not "Ross Like". The second hole's forced carry of the tee isn't something Ross would have done in my opinion. However, the rest of the holes play basically  the same as before except they're longer. Frankly. I think it's better than my course at MPCC. My son-in-law is a member at CGCC and he and his pals love the course. 

I played it one time since the changes and that was over 10 years ago about the time he went to Pine Island. 

G