TESTERS WANTED! ×

Finally broke 90!...BUT...

Congrats on the milestone. No reason to feel weird about the course;  no matter what tees you play from, how long, of how difficult you still have to execute the shots and put the ball in the hole.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Congrats on breaking 90.  I play lots of different courses each year with different course ratings. Half the time I dont even look at the ratings unless I am setting up a trip for a group and want to make sure it is playable for everyone. Breaking a mile stone is an accomplishment regardless. You hit the shots to make it happen. 

If you think about it, you played a course your not familiar with and  took out a milestone. Even more impressive than doing on a course you play all the time. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Congratulations on breaking 90... by a lot!!  90% of the game is mental, and now you know that your hard work has paid off.  Every course is different in design and setup, and some courses set up better than others for us.  Breaking a milestone is not an easy feat no matter where you do it.  I would be willing to bet that you will have more confidence and score better very soon on your home course.  

I would like to stress that playing a lot of different courses gives you a better feel for how certain shots react in different environments.  With that knowledge comes better decision making and an improved skill set.  You don't have to play the same old shots from the same old locations that you are used to... mix it up and see what comes.  Enjoy the moment of achieving a goal... now set a new one!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Well done breaking 90!  Course ratings help manage your handicap and keep it on an even keel.  Just because it's a less difficult course, you still broke 90.  Take pride in that feat.  As others said, you still have to execute the shots and get the ball in the hole, whether you're playing a championship resort course or a sandlot local muni.  Again...good job.  Next goal -- breaking 80!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

No matter the course you still have to hit the shots!
This score helps for the confidence!!!
You are on the right path man!!
Big milestone

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G400 9.0 Alta CB 55g stiff

:ping-small: G400 3W Alta CB 65g stiff

:Sub70: Fairway Pro 5W Ust Mamiya V2 black stiff

:Sub70: 839X 4h Kbs TGI80

:Sub70: 639cb 5-PW Kbs TGI80

:Sub70: Forged Wedge  50.7 Kbs TGI80

:callaway-small: MD4 56.8, 60.12

PXG Bat Attack

:Snell: MTB-X

16 hours ago, LeftyRM7 said:

I’ve been playing for 3 years next month, and have been shooting mid 90s for the last year and a half. Playing and practicing on a weekly basis, grinding to get better. Yesterday I played my home course and had a rough day, and shot 99. Today I met a friend of mine at a course neither of us had ever seen before for a round, not expecting much. I ended up shattering 90, shooting 84, 6 better than I ever had before, but I feel weird about it because I feel like I played and easy course to do so.

Here’s the numbers;

Home course: 70.1/126 6028

New course: 68.1/119 5951

The fairways were fairly rough and hard and tee shots would roll out forever. For reference, I hit a 190 club from 230 out and it took a big bounce and rolled through the fringe across the green and stopped about 3 yards off the back of the green. I think I only hit driver 4 times because of how much roll I was getting. Also the par 3s were short, longest being 155, which is the shortest at my home course. The greens on the other hand were slightly slower than I’m used to but very soft. My home courses greens are very hard. I rarely have to repair a ball mark, and I usually play short on approaches to account for the roll out. Today I felt like I could fire away and know it would sit. Also, they used pool noodles on the flagsticks, whereas my course uses pvc in the cup. I say that because the pvc makes it harder to hole a put while the noodle let me fire away feeling like I couldn’t hit it too hard.

All in all, I learned a lot today, not just about different course setups, but about my game. I know I did play well but it still feels weird. Is that normal? Did I cheat the system? Am I playing tougher courses and being too hard on myself? Can anyone relate? Feedback greatly appreciated!

On a side note, I have to thank everyone out there I’ve interacted with on this forum. This place and all of the people that make it up have definitely helped me elevate my game. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sub 90 is a huge milestone and a big 84 is fantastic, maybe a harder course that day would have been 88 still sub 90! Just enjoy it and dont worry about the slope my friend! Your hard work and practice is just paying off thats all that is!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Congrats, don't worry about how hard or easy the course was, just enjoy it. 

My Reviews:

2023 Official review - Rapsodo MLM2Pro!

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

Breaking a certain number is  mental. When you play the same course over and over you get caught up in what you should of had, or how many more strokes you can give up, or how hard certain holes are going to be coming up. Especially when you get close a few times, when you start looking like you might break 90 those thoughts come back in your head about how you are going to blow it this time. 

Sometimes once you break the 90, you let that frustration and anxiety go and just play golf. I wouldn't be surprised if you break 90 on your home course after having just simply got over the hurdle. 

I will tell you, that when I was having a hard time breaking 80, I purposefully played a par 70 course that is 5787 yards from the back tees. Not a bunker on the course. Shot a 78 on an outing where I didnt strike the ball particularly well, and felt like a champion. Next time out on the home course I shot 79 and have broken 80 multiple times since. Just needed the reassurance and confidence. 

image.png.24ec65a549de276781e31850e1a3ee24.png

Edited by scooterhd2

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!
22 hours ago, LeftyRM7 said:

I’ve been playing for 3 years next month, and have been shooting mid 90s for the last year and a half. Playing and practicing on a weekly basis, grinding to get better. Yesterday I played my home course and had a rough day, and shot 99. Today I met a friend of mine at a course neither of us had ever seen before for a round, not expecting much. I ended up shattering 90, shooting 84, 6 better than I ever had before, but I feel weird about it because I feel like I played and easy course to do so.

Here’s the numbers;

Home course: 70.1/126 6028

New course: 68.1/119 5951

The fairways were fairly rough and hard and tee shots would roll out forever. For reference, I hit a 190 club from 230 out and it took a big bounce and rolled through the fringe across the green and stopped about 3 yards off the back of the green. I think I only hit driver 4 times because of how much roll I was getting. Also the par 3s were short, longest being 155, which is the shortest at my home course. The greens on the other hand were slightly slower than I’m used to but very soft. My home courses greens are very hard. I rarely have to repair a ball mark, and I usually play short on approaches to account for the roll out. Today I felt like I could fire away and know it would sit. Also, they used pool noodles on the flagsticks, whereas my course uses pvc in the cup. I say that because the pvc makes it harder to hole a put while the noodle let me fire away feeling like I couldn’t hit it too hard.

All in all, I learned a lot today, not just about different course setups, but about my game. I know I did play well but it still feels weird. Is that normal? Did I cheat the system? Am I playing tougher courses and being too hard on myself? Can anyone relate? Feedback greatly appreciated!

On a side note, I have to thank everyone out there I’ve interacted with on this forum. This place and all of the people that make it up have definitely helped me elevate my game. Thank you!

Great job!   Don't sell it short.    You got the ball in/off the hole,  what's all you can do.

Clay Ballard has a video on youtube on improving scoring, he recommends moving up to the forward set of tees as to have easier approach shots and improved scoring opportunities.  This is really a mental exercise, the idea being getting used to scoring well.  Most of us normal golfers have had a great round going and then we start feeling weird because we are scoring so well.  Then a big whammo happens like a double or a triple and then we get that old familiar feeling of bad.     We get uncomfortable scoring well, and now we are comfortable because our score is more what we are used to.    

I guess what I am trying to convey here is to be comfortable while you are scoring well, even when you are in uncharted waters.  

When I was a member at the Yellowstone Country Club in Billings MT, the assistant pro was a former LPGA player (her father was head pro).  For the life of me, I couldn't break 80, despite numerous near attempts.  I asked Pam "What do I do to break 80 on this course?".  She looked at me, smiled and asked "What are you thinking about on hole 15?" .... My next venture out on the course, I shot a 77.  Yogi Berra’s famous quotes: ‘Baseball is 90 per cent mental. The other half is physical’.  Same thing applies here.  😄  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Breaking a certain number is  mental. When you play the same course over and over you get caught up in what you should of had, or how many more strokes you can give up, or how hard certain holes are going to be coming up. Especially when you get close a few times, when you start looking like you might break 90 those thoughts come back in your head about how you are going to blow it this time. 
Sometimes once you break the 90, you let that frustration and anxiety go and just play golf. I wouldn't be surprised if you break 90 on your home course after having just simply got over the hurdle. 
I will tell you, that when I was having a hard time breaking 80, I purposefully played a par 70 course that is 5787 yards from the back tees. Not a bunker on the course. Shot a 78 on an outing where I didnt strike the ball particularly well, and felt like a champion. Next time out on the home course I shot 79 and have broken 80 multiple times since. Just needed the reassurance and confidence. 

image.png.24ec65a549de276781e31850e1a3ee24.png

Agreed! After a few 90s and 91s at the home course there is definitely some baggage i carry around. I really wanted it to happen there. I have a similar course to the one I played yesterday about 20 minutes from the house but I’ve never played there, partly because I didn’t want to play an easy course to break 90.

I really think me never seeing the place, having no expectations or preconceived ideas just cleared my head and let me just play my game.

I'd be surprised if you didn't break 90 on your home course now.  The mental breakthrough is the key - obviously you're striking the ball well enough to shoot the score!

Congrats!

Handicap 12

Driver:  TaylorMade M3 Fuji Speed Shaft R Flex

3-Wood: TaylorMade M3 Fuji Speed Shaft R Flex

Hybrids:  TaylorMade GAPR Mid, GAPR Hi

Irons:    TaylorMade P-790 5-PW, Oban Shafts, R+ Flex

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 56 Full Grind, Oban shafts, Cleveland RTX 60, Mid Grind, Oban Shaft

Putter:  Odyssey DF-550

Breaking 90 is awesome. Easy course or not you still have to strike the ball and make putts. 

For most golfers breaking 90 comes down to course management and playing to your misses. Most people always overlook things like short sided, hit to the middle not the pin, and where not to miss. A great way to get better at this is play with a bud that is a low handicapper and have him ask you what you are thinking on every shot. 

My best friend is a professional and I am about a 3. Many rounds he “bugs me” and says what are you thinking on this shot and it really goes a long way. 

M5 Taylormade w/Hazrds Yellow (small batch)

Ping G410 Hybrid w/Evenflow protoype

Taylormade 4-PW P-750 w/C-Taper Lite 

Taylormade HiToe 50, 54, 60 w/project-x 

Scotty Squareback or Spyder X 

1 minute ago, alexhofeldt said:

Breaking 90 is awesome. Easy course or not you still have to strike the ball and make putts. 

For most golfers breaking 90 comes down to course management and playing to your misses. Most people always overlook things like short sided, hit to the middle not the pin, and where not to miss. A great way to get better at this is play with a bud that is a low handicapper and have him ask you what you are thinking on every shot. 

My best friend is a professional and I am about a 3. Many rounds he “bugs me” and says what are you thinking on this shot and it really goes a long way. 

This is a great point Alex, course management is huge when you start looking at milestone numbers. For me right now its breaking 80 consistently and it all comes down to my course management. If you need to lay up LAY UP! 1 bad shot is not going to ruin a round and if you can scramble to save a bogie instead of triple you must manage the course.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

1 minute ago, Lacassem said:

This is a great point Alex, course management is huge when you start looking at milestone numbers. For me right now its breaking 80 consistently and it all comes down to my course management. If you need to lay up LAY UP! 1 bad shot is not going to ruin a round and if you can scramble to save a bogie instead of triple you must manage the course.

I'm at a loss for words... I never thought I'd see you write that out.  I'm proud of you.  🤣

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

1 minute ago, Lacassem said:

Yes I think it is even more important for the break 80 milestone. I usually shot 76-82 because of my inconsistency and still having some double/triple holes because of the driver. I have not broken par in years, but I feel like I am getting close.

Do you have a low handicap buddy that could work with you on the course to get you below 80?

M5 Taylormade w/Hazrds Yellow (small batch)

Ping G410 Hybrid w/Evenflow protoype

Taylormade 4-PW P-750 w/C-Taper Lite 

Taylormade HiToe 50, 54, 60 w/project-x 

Scotty Squareback or Spyder X 

4 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

I'm at a loss for words... I never thought I'd see you write that out.  I'm proud of you.  🤣

I dont always do it lol but I have done it more often....Something about saying F it and going at the flag and sticking it is just fun!...when it works....

4 minutes ago, alexhofeldt said:

Yes I think it is even more important for the break 80 milestone. I usually shot 76-82 because of my inconsistency and still having some double/triple holes because of the driver. I have not broken par in years, but I feel like I am getting close.

Do you have a low handicap buddy that could work with you on the course to get you below 80?

So I think this year is my year. Did some good work last year I don't think I had any rounds above 86? @B.Boston and I work a lot together on the course and he has helped me a lot short game wise. My cousin is also close to scratch and he helps a lot. My problem is like I said before screw it I am going at the flag or I can hit over that, its my tin cup mentality.

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

Breaking 90 is breaking 90, my friend! Enjoy it: keep working towards your next goal! Slope and course ratings exist for a reason, no need to feel bad. As you improve you might start to get annoyed you don’t score lower on “easy” courses...

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

Congrats!  It's funny because I recently had basically the opposite occur where out of quarantine, I shot I think a 92 and 93 at my home course.  The following week, played at a different much more difficult course and shot 82.  I typically shoot in the mid 80's.  Like how a lot of people said, after you have the muscle memory for your swing, so much of golf is mental from course management to emotional management.  Enjoy the win but dont just let it end there.  Learn from that experience and apply it to all your future rounds.  Congrats again!