appletonjim

Playing out of footprints in the sand or moving the ball?

Our Sponsors

No rakes on the course and less than good foot smoothing is leaving some pretty deep dug in footprints.  I get the playing it down part - we do that in fairways and rough.  However if I were in a tire rut it would be ground under repair.  Or should we be leaving 'em in the footprint or moving it to a non-footprint spot?  Obviously don't hit it in the sand is the better plan but...  Hopefully there will be rakes out again soon so this will be a non-issue.  

Golfer in Summer, Curler in Winter

TM M5 Tensei Red Stiff

TM RBZ 3 wood

Wilson Fybred - next on the chopping block

Callaway Apex 4 - P

Vokey 52, 56, 60

Odyssey 2 Ball with Black Line

3 minutes ago, appletonjim said:

No rakes on the course and less than good foot smoothing is leaving some pretty deep dug in footprints.  I get the playing it down part - we do that in fairways and rough.  However if I were in a tire rut it would be ground under repair.  Or should we be leaving 'em in the footprint or moving it to a non-footprint spot?  Obviously don't hit it in the sand is the better plan but...  Hopefully there will be rakes out again soon so this will be a non-issue.  

Tire rut in a bunker, play it as it lies no relief. 

I feel same way about footprints and everything else bunkers. We have been spoiled by maintained bunkers and that is not their intention. I hope rakes don't come back. 

• Like 3

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 9.5* (Ventus Black 6X) 45"

:taylormade-small:             M5 15* (Ventus Black 7x) 43"

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 18* (Tensei AV Blue 70 X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-AW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

:Arccos:

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Courses I've played are doing preferred lies in bunkers. Lift, smooth your lie, and place as close as possible to where it was. Felt like PReed yesterday it was nice!

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

3w/5w: :callaway-small: XR16 Fujikura Speeder Evo 565 S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX 4 50.10 | 54.10 | 60.09 Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5 BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

16 minutes ago, appletonjim said:

To be clear, a rut is not by definition Ground under Repair even in the General Area, although the rut is a good reason for the Committee to mark that area.  I'm on the fence while we have unusual measures to minimize disease transmission, and I'd recommend that each course or Committee make its own decision, and that all of the players play under the same rules.  The USGA has provided significant guidance regarding bunkers during Covid measures here:
https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/rulesarticles/covid-19-rules-and-handicapping-faqs.html

• Like 6
  • Love 1

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

My course removed rakes and added a local rule allowing preferred lies. But even when rakes are readily available, I’ve found myself in plenty of footprints.

So I’m embracing “rub-o-the-green” - because it’s good practice, a nod toward tradition, and I’m not keeping score anyway.

• Like 6

:ping-small:___________G400 LST 9* - Ping Tour 65 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:adams-small:_Super Proto DHY 21* - Matrix Ozik Altus hX3 S
:adams-small: _Idea MB2 4-PW - Matrix Program 130 6.5
:cleveland-small:_________RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
Bettinardi.png.e7ca0ee7ba785611a4a144e16b6b93ab.png___SS38 Armlock
k_sig.jpg.00b599e7e823c61015277de38ca16982.jpg___'18 4-piece
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

Let them be natural or just get rid of bunkers. People are too lazy to rake them or courses don't have the funds to maintain them.

Take Dead Aim

• Like 2

If all golfers understood and used the intended entrance/exit designed into the overwhelming majority of bunkers, a little foot smoothing would probably be adequate cleanup for the majority of beach crime scenes. It’s when people go tumbling down and climbing out of the faces that a long rake is needed to drag the yard of displaced sand back into place.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

:ping-small:___________G400 LST 9* - Ping Tour 65 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:adams-small:_Super Proto DHY 21* - Matrix Ozik Altus hX3 S
:adams-small: _Idea MB2 4-PW - Matrix Program 130 6.5
:cleveland-small:_________RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
Bettinardi.png.e7ca0ee7ba785611a4a144e16b6b93ab.png___SS38 Armlock
k_sig.jpg.00b599e7e823c61015277de38ca16982.jpg___'18 4-piece
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

Move the ball...duh

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(48*) & SW(54*) Cobra King F8 LW(58*)all wedges have Recoil 460 regular shafts Putter: 33" Bellum-Winmore 707 putter Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

Move the ball...duh

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I concur!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 4/5 iron, Z785 6-PW, :Nippon:Modus 120X

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

Our committee has ruled that if the ball lies in a foot print (or other damaged area), it is acceptable to move the ball.  However, this does not mean that you can take it out of the buried lie in the side of the bunker from impact and place it on the flat surface for a perfect lie. 😄 .

• Like 6

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 --- 3 (19 degrees), 4 (22 degrees), and 5 (25 degrees) Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 52*, 56*, 60* wedges.  Stock shafts.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Play it as it lies unless course implements a local rule. If someone forgot to take a bunker when rakes are there you have to play it a it lies, no difference here 

• Like 5

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

In our City Championship two years ago our Pro decided not to “groom” the bunkers before play started, and did not list them as GUR. Guys were complaining all day during round one. The Pro told them, “Bunkers are supposed to be penal. If you don’t like it, don’t hit your ball into them!” All I care is that they’re not rock hard, other than that, it isn’t “supposed” to be manicured, so play it in the bunker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 7

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 4/5 iron, Z785 6-PW, :Nippon:Modus 120X

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

We are playing for money - small money to be sure - so we play 'em down and hole out putts (you would have a scratch handicap if you made all your putts so don't ask for it).  I get rub of the green. You get behind clumps in the rough or in divots in the fairway and you just play it.  I don't need a perfect lie in the sand but if someone digs in their stance the ball can be below the surface of the sand.  Responses are mixed - at this point I am just asking partners if it is OK to move it just like I would in a really bad rut or casual water which happens in the spring here.

Thanks for all your feed back - I hope you (and I) never hit 'em in the sand.

Jim

• Like 1

TM M5 Tensei Red Stiff

TM RBZ 3 wood

Callaway Apex 4 - P

Vokey 52, 56, 60

4 hours ago, appletonjim said:

We are playing for money - small money to be sure - so we play 'em down and hole out putts (you would have a scratch handicap if you made all your putts so don't ask for it).  I get rub of the green. You get behind clumps in the rough or in divots in the fairway and you just play it.  I don't need a perfect lie in the sand but if someone digs in their stance the ball can be below the surface of the sand.  Responses are mixed - at this point I am just asking partners if it is OK to move it just like I would in a really bad rut or casual water which happens in the spring here.

Thanks for all your feed back - I hope you (and I) never hit 'em in the sand.

Jim

This makes sense to me.  Without specific guidance from your club, its appropriate to define your own rules for these odd times.  As long as everyone is playing by the same rules, its fair.  Please also remember, the USGA has decided to allow handicap posting, so unless your club or region says not to, please post your scores.

• Like 2

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I've encountered plenty of bad lies on the golf course and it is extremely rare for me to move the ball. Basically, I have to be having a really bad day and playing by myself or have someone yelling at me to move the ball. Under normal circumstances, I like a challenge and trying to figure out how to play different lies is important to player development. What if you were playing a round that mattered and had no recourse? 

• Like 1

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Pro S300
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura 6m 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

18 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

I've encountered plenty of bad lies on the golf course and it is extremely rare for me to move the ball. Basically, I have to be having a really bad day and playing by myself or have someone yelling at me to move the ball. Under normal circumstances, I like a challenge and trying to figure out how to play different lies is important to player development. What if you were playing a round that mattered and had no recourse? 

If I was playing a tournament and the rule was to play it down no matter what, I would without complaint (or at least without loud complaint).   I like challenges too, but how would you feel if you have a chance to win something in the team game and your playing partner says he can clear that 250 yard water hazard when he hasn't carried one that far all day.  His (and thus my/our) likelihood of success is minimal but if he thought that was a personal challenge he can do it.  He'll be a better golfer if he learns to make that shot but I would hope he learns it during practice.   Anyway it is always an ask situation - never assume anything and move it without checking. 

TM M5 Tensei Red Stiff

TM RBZ 3 wood

Callaway Apex 4 - P

Vokey 52, 56, 60

1 hour ago, appletonjim said:

If I was playing a tournament and the rule was to play it down no matter what, I would without complaint (or at least without loud complaint).   I like challenges too, but how would you feel if you have a chance to win something in the team game and your playing partner says he can clear that 250 yard water hazard when he hasn't carried one that far all day.  His (and thus my/our) likelihood of success is minimal but if he thought that was a personal challenge he can do it.  He'll be a better golfer if he learns to make that shot but I would hope he learns it during practice.   Anyway it is always an ask situation - never assume anything and move it without checking. 

You're talking course management vs. playing from a bad lie. Apples and oranges my friend.

• Like 3

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Pro S300
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura 6m 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Interesting, NCGA sent out info regarding tournament season starting. Here is what they say about bunkers. C922E4CC-8780-4998-BAA9-F985E05BFDDD.thumb.png.75a32eb611751e5ff90199495553149d.png

• Like 3

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 9.5* (Ventus Black 6X) 45"

:taylormade-small:             M5 15* (Ventus Black 7x) 43"

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 18* (Tensei AV Blue 70 X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-AW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

:Arccos:

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

1 hour ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Interesting, NCGA sent out info regarding tournament season starting. Here is what they say about bunkers. C922E4CC-8780-4998-BAA9-F985E05BFDDD.thumb.png.75a32eb611751e5ff90199495553149d.png

In the current state of things, preferred lies in bunkers really makes the most sense to me

• Like 2

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

3w/5w: :callaway-small: XR16 Fujikura Speeder Evo 565 S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX 4 50.10 | 54.10 | 60.09 Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5 BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Given current climate regarding health concerns I would hope local course leadership would clearly communicate guidance related to sand/bunker play.

Outside a tournament or league play in which local club / official USGA rules govern its really the group members playing and agreeing to their own ground rules IMO.

Personally I vote to move the ball in the OP scenario. This is one of those challenges that's either quickly resolved/easy to address or gets very controversial per ones interpretation of how the situation should be addressed.

I usually try to get the issues identified/discussed before teeing off but yeah sometimes the unexpected surfaces.

Sent from my SM-N960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app