TESTERS WANTED! ×

Getting fit?

Kmoney11

I have never been fit for irons. I’m using 10 year old cobra s2 max irons. I’m an 8.5 handicap. For those that have gotten new irons and been fit for them. How much lower have your scores been? Have you truly noticed a big difference? I have kind of believed that I could learn to hit anything but I’d love to hear some people’s actual results from getting fit. 

I would never spend money on a new set of irons without being fit by a competent fitter. It just removes a lot of doubt about your purchase. I know all my specs pretty well now after years of being fit and I would say it probably dropped my handicap about 3 points.

Ping G430 Driver, 19° Hybrid, Ping Anser 23° Hybrid, Mizuno 923 Hot Metal 6-GW, Ping 54°&58° Glides, Scotty Cameron 5.5

I have never been fit for irons. I’m using 10 year old cobra s2 max irons. I’m an 8.5 handicap. For those that have gotten new irons and been fit for them. How much lower have your scores been? Have you truly noticed a big difference? I have kind of believed that I could learn to hit anything but I’d love to hear some people’s actual results from getting fit. 
I am actually the exact same handicap as you and was recently fitted. I think the one piece that I have noticed is my distances are just so much more consistent. If I hit it a little right itll be a little shorter, if I hit it left I'll be a little longer. I unfortunately have not been able to play yet and translate it to my handicap but I expect once I dial in the new distances I will drop. Plus the way I see it, these clubs are an investment for the next 5+ years of my game.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

On 5/18/2020 at 8:01 PM, Kmoney11 said:

My hcp floats between 10 and 12 during the season and I have been fit for every club except my putter.  Fitting did not lower my scores but my scores did not get worse.  As I get older, I am not going to hit the ball farther so I want all the help I can get to maximize what distance, have a good club distance separation and of course forgiveness.  I am like a car that will never go 100 mph so I want to be the best at 50 mph that I can get.  If that makes sense.  Getting fit is the best thing that you can do. 

• Driver _ Ping G400 Max
  • Woods _ Ping G410 3 & 5 | Cleveland Launcher XL HALO 7
  • Hybrid _ Titleist 818 H1 5 
  • Irons _ Titleist T300 6-GW
  • Wedges _ Titleist SM9 52F & 56S
  • Putter _ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife Two Bar Hybrid
  • Distance _ Bushnell Phantom 2 GPS | Precision Pro NX7 Pro
  • Ball _ Titleist Pro V1 yellow
  • GHIN _ HCP floats between 8 & 12

:ping-small:  :cleveland-small: :titelist-small:  :vokey-small:   :odyssey-small:  :rife-putters-1:  :918457628_PrecisionPro:  :sunmountain: :Clicgear:   :footjoy-small:  

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

I was fit for my irons last year and have seen my handicap drop from a 16 to a 14 over the season. 

Getting fit was important for the mental side of trusting my equipment. You still have to put in the work of course management, swing maintenance and improvement. 

Getting fit is a useful tool and I wouldn't purchase clubs without getting properly fit.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

I switch to Cobra F8 one lengths last year so I got them fitted and also my ping G400 sft figured why not. The irons gave me a more consistent shot area and the driver did as well .. I also have a lot more confidence with the driver. After the fitting I put a lot of work in my swing and I am playing a lot better .. Last year I was shooting high 90s low 100s .. I shot under 90 twice already this year. So I dont think it can hurt to get fitted but also depends on if you want to spend the money can get costly. 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

The wife got me gift cards to get myself fitted for christmas.  Never got around to going and getting it done....then Corona happened and now i just stare at the gift cards waiting until i can finally schedule one.  I've been playing since I was 7, and never gotten fitted believe it or not.  I've been using the same nike slingshots that I got as a high school graduation gift (2005). Needless to say, I'm dying to know how much my game improves with a new set of clubs plus the fitting.

WITB 2023

:callaway-small: Driver: Big Bertha 2015 Model - Fubuki shaft (I think its time for an upgrade)

:nike-small: 3-Wood: VRs 15 degree

:taylormade-small:Irons: SIM2 4-AW

Wedges: :nike-small: Victory Red  LW-60/10, :callaway-small: Mack Daddy 4 SW-56/10

Putter: :nike-small: Method Core MC-3i

....I may have loved/still love Nike and miss them making golf clubs💔

IMO unless your iron shots are all over the place or consistently going one direction and you can't fix it with a swing tweak, I don't think fitting matters that much.  We've all hit enough irons and shafts to know generally what we like and hit better. 

But for woods and driver, I do think that's a big deal.  Different heads and shafts could make all the difference.  Driver for me is the biggest variable in the bag since you can really alter the lofts/CG/weighting and it's the most challenging club in the bag (even for pro's).  Also putter if you are struggling a fitting could help too in case you are doing something drastically wrong. 

I love blades.

I played the same Ping E 2s standard loft lie forever. A couple years ago I was a 12 or so, got fitted and ended up half inch over and 2 degrees upright. Dropped into single digits very quick and my lowest was a 5. Generally bouncing around 7 to 8 area.

Last night I was fitted and stayed same length but went back to standatd loft. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Really depends how well you current irons fit you. If they are already a good fit, then I would not expect alot of gains. However if you have some directional, control, or turf interaction issues, then you can see some quick improvements. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

The biggest takeaway I've had from iron fittings is how much the shaft can improve distance, height and accuracy.  The head plays into all as well, but I remember the fitting I had for my Mizunos MP 18 SC's and I knew I wanted a Mizuno, so it was basically down to the shaft at that point. 

Trying all the different shafts - Project X, KBS, to Nippon to Dynamic Gold would show nearly 800 RPM difference in spin and 3-4 degrees of launch difference.  Knowing that your combo gets you into the optimal performance window is a nice feeling (if you can put a good swing on it).

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

10 year old irons that you weren't fit for?  I'm guessing you are looking at a 20 percent drop in your handicap index - from 8 to something closer to 6.

I had a 3.8 index for the longest time until about 15 years ago - I got fit for clubs and started taking lessons (something I hadn't ever done).  I got my index down to where it stayed between .8 and 1.2 for over two years between the ages of 55-57.  I had some health issues and subsequent weight gain that drove it back up to close to 9.  Over the past two to three years I've enrolled in a fitness program and worked hard on my game - my index is back down to a 5.1 which is about as good as I'm going to get it given my age 63, and the limited amount of time that I have to play because of other obligations.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD