Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Anyone toyed with a single plane swing?  I tinkered with it back in the day when I first read the story on Moe Norman back in the 90’s.  But I am moving back in that direction again.  It just seems to fit me, and it’s so natural.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

I'm pretty sure @Shankster fiddled with it.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Still messing around with it.

Although, I haven’t swung a club in a while.

I found Kirk Junge, and his methods make more sense to me than the other big Single plane dudes.

Plus... if BAD can get 200+mph ball speed with it. The whole thing sounds good to me.

Thinking about some single length clubs...

1 minute ago, HighFade said:

ok, I'll bite.  who's BAD?

Bryson

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

yeah, not a fan of Bryson.  And I could never go to the single length clubs.  I see the logic of consistency, but I can't bring myself to do that. 

But a good wide stance for stability and a single plane to swing on really works for me.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

the one thing I found when I was experimenting is that you need to stand further away from the ball and bend from the hips a lot more than normal. 

That might lift the toe of your club off of the ground but just try it and see if you can get some consistency. Once you find that sweet spot it will feel great!

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I currently play single plane. It has been a serious five year process for me. Been tinkering with it over 15 years. I tried using it in spurts without really understanding the principles and/or putting in the correct practice time necessary to learn the positions. I would alternate between two plane (how I learned) and single plane -- imo --DON'T do that -- commit one way or the other.

Very rewarding experience but to be very honest,  a lot of frustration on the journey as it took me awhile to trust the model. The single plane model I study/train/use is the one Graves Golf teaches. As most know there are many instructors that reference/teach/have their version of what single plane is.

Moe Norman is the signature model for single axis/single plane but many argue how/what he did regarding his swing The same can be seen with how people argue over how Hogan and all the greats actually executed their swings.  Millions of $$ have been made of books/videos, etc regarding the golf swing.

Regardless, I researched and chose the Graves model. It works for me.  I have stuck with it and its second nature to me now. I am sure there are other single plane models/variations that could work for someone as well.  

I did quit a few times but came back. I am in my 50's and I just appreciate the consistency with the single plane model. People have asked me would I have done it 30 years ago. Probably not, I was so much more athletic and much more flexible and just played a different style golf.

Many say well you can't hit it as far using that style, I always say but I am down the middle more with this style swing and yes there are those that play single plane and can hit it far- I am just not one of them. Maybe more information than asked for but I wanted to share my thoughts.