TESTERS WANTED! ×

The Post Your Scorecard Thread

Tony Covey MGS

After hitting a few balls this morning, I realized that I was hitting the ball so bad, because I had an extremely weak grip. After making an adjustment, I was back to hitting the ball as normal, so I went out to the same course. Wow, what a difference a day makes. While it goes down as me only hitting 6/14 fairways, I only hit it outside of the first cut twice. I lipped out an eagle on 14 and birdie putts on 3,8, and 15.

Round 2.JPG

• SPY VIP

After hitting a few balls this morning, I realized that I was hitting the ball so bad, because I had an extremely weak grip. After making an adjustment, I was back to hitting the ball as normal, so I went out to the same course. Wow, what a difference a day makes. While it goes down as me only hitting 6/14 fairways, I only hit it outside of the first cut twice. I lipped out an eagle on 14 and birdie putts on 3,8, and 15.

Round 2.JPG

Had to be lots of "Golf Shots" in that one.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Had to be lots of "Golf Shots" in that one.

Oh, there were, starting on the first hole (10). I push a drive right, that hit a tree and kicked farther right; I had 220 into a light breeze and I hit a hybird to 15'. On number 13 I hit it 10' off the fairway and ended up right behind a giant oak tree. I could either hit it straight right, back out to the fairway and try to get up and down from 90yds or I could Tin Cup it. I took a 7i and punched it 20yds between two trees to the cart path and it ran on it all the way to pin high, then I almost chipped it in. That was the shot that really got my round going. There were more, but those were the best two.

• SPY VIP

Things are improving (perhaps GolfSpy Dave inspired me). I'm not worried too much about my swing, instead I'm trying to focus on course management and the mental game (letting go of bad shots).

614.png

1. Way right rough, low punch under branches, robbed by a greenside tree, chip, putt (WAAAAAy long) putt, putt
  2. Golf shot, putt, putt
  3. Fairway, perfect layup, fat wedge, good shot that landed two feet short and didn't roll down, chip on, putt, putt
  4. Missed the green left (rolled down a small hill), chip up, putt
  5. Fairway, right side, chip on, putt, putt
  6. Fairway, more fairway, golf shot, putt putt
  7. Right side rough, just off the back, chip, putt
  8. Fairway, golf shot, putt, putt
  9. Skulled, flubbed, chipped to 15 feet, putt.

No lost balls, no penalties. The triple hurt, and the double is a joke considering where I was in two. Made 4 on 18 though, and I certainly didn't deserve better than 5.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Here's one that killed me. It's a tournament round, but I elected not to pay an extra $20 to enter the NCGA Qualifier and a Skins game that was also concurrent with the club T. I only entered the basic stroke play. Had I entered the Qualifier and the skins game for this event I would have won an all expenses paid trip to the next event in Monterey and the skins would have been $150. I did get some shop credit for the basic event though...

Screen shot 2011-06-15 at 2.48.53 PM.png

Number 6. Miss fairway to the right hit lob wedge from rough to opposite corner of the green. Lagged putt to four feet... then 3 putted from four feet. That hurt.

I spy with my little eye something...

• 2 weeks later...

Just got home from vacation, and am trying to get both scorecards input into Golfshot. Got the first, and I'll share it. 1 bad hole cost me an under par round, first in a looooooong time too. You can see which hole it is I'm sure.

signalhill.jpg

The par 4's where it shows 2 putts(and the eagle on one), I drove the green. It's a fun little course that I play down there, it's short, but the price is right, plus I can show up there at 6:00AM and be first out. Played it once. The bad hole went like this:

Drive left onto a dune (which was marked as a lateral hazard with a sign that said you have to drop outside the dune/staked/roped area because it's a protected habitat or something to that effect and that persons disturbing the dune would be subject to prosecution and to drop where you crossed the hazard. I dropped at the last place I saw it crossing the hazard (which was 50 yards back outside the roped off area, leaving me 223 in according to my GPS) and assessed myself the penalty for the hazard.). So I'd hit my drive there, drop 2, hit 3. 3rd shot went OB right of the green(hitting the new Rescue 11 hybrid I still haven't adjusted all the way, this was the first time hitting it on a course, period). Drop 4, hit 5. 5th went OB right of the green again, drop 6, hit 7. Punched/stinger 7th just short of the green with a 5 iron. Chipped on and it checked quick, 2 putted from 45 feet for the 10 on the hole, and that's how I went from under par to over par.

Oh, and the 1st hole was the 21 degree Rescue 11 hybrid off the tee.

Mind you this course has no range and a putting green that looks like they just mowed the grass down and stuck a few cups up in it. True muni if there ever was one. So I wasn't loose at all when I started, which is why I dumped the first tee ball of the day ob.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

20110626_newton_gc.jpg

My driver and I were not speaking to each other at all until the 18th, when I actually faded the ball like I wanted to. I also collapsed epically on several holes after getting into trouble, should have laid up, but went for it and failed :)

That said, I was pretty happy with my chipping and putting for once, so hopefully I'll break 90 soon.

• 3 weeks later...

20110717_Middleton_Scorecard.jpg

I know it's a par 3, but still my best round to date, especially the back 9 without a single double. What's great about this course is it uses every club in my bag except the driver (longest hole Sunday was #18 at 220 yards uphill == 3w for me). I missed a few birdie opportunities that I hope to capitalize on next time, but I did finish with a bogey save on 18 with a 10 yard putt after my tee shot hit a tree branch and dropped like a rock.

I'm none too proud of missing so many greens, but I definitely improved my swing over the round and feel I can do much better next time.

• SPY VIP

I know it's a par 3, but still my best round to date, especially the back 9 without a single double. What's great about this course is it uses every club in my bag except the driver (longest hole Sunday was #18 at 220 yards uphill == 3w for me). I missed a few birdie opportunities that I hope to capitalize on next time, but I did finish with a bogey save on 18 with a 10 yard putt after my tee shot hit a tree branch and dropped like a rock.

I'm none too proud of missing so many greens, but I definitely improved my swing over the round and feel I can do much better next time.

Nice work :)

Back nine without a double must feel great. I hope to card a double free round at some point...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I played a practice round yesterday, as I have city qualifying this Saturday. This was the result.

Practice Round.JPG

We started on 10 and I decided I was going to do an experiment. I have been hitting my driver horrible this year, so I hit it on the first 9 and my 3W on the second 9; you can see the difference.

Hole 13 was my only bad hole of the day; hit drive right into trees, 2nd stayed in the trees, 3rd punched into green side bunker, 4th onto green, then 3 putted from 30' with 8' of break. In my defense, it is by far the toughest green on the course.

I have a lesson today and we're gonna work on my driver, if that doesn't get it straightened out I'm going to roll with the 3w all day long.

• SPY VIP

Haven't posted a card in a while. This one I call "almost"

card.png

As for the downhill portion:

7 - In a hazard (wooded area) just off the green in 2. Hit a solid pitch, that landed on the wrong side of sloped green and rolled all they way down and off.

8 - Sliced off in to the woods, hit a provisional center of the fairway, but found the 1st. Probably should have taken an unplayable, took me 2 shots to get off of the woods into the heavy rough. Found a green side bunker that I took two more to get out of.

9- Dead center of the fairway, 55 yards from the pin. Shank, shank, shank (but on to the green) 2 putt.

So close...should have been better.

Played the same stretch yesterday - bogeyed 7 (#1 HC), birdied 8, 9 was almost an instant replay of last time (only 1 shank this time)

Here's the best round I've ever played. This past weekend I played a 2 day tournament. The format was a 1 man, 2 day scramble. Shoot a score the first day and the second day and then take the best score from each hole and make a third card. This is the card from the first day. The first day I shot 69! Second day was totally different - I just wanted to clean up the two boogies and possibly make an extra birdie ended up with a 66 under this format. I ended up winning low gross.

The best part was a Moe Norman style drive. 9th hole is a par five that has a creek running straight through the fairway at 280 yards. My drive rolled across the 5' wide bridge in the middle to cross the creek.

Screen shot 2011-07-25 at 2.22.29 PM.png

I spy with my little eye something...

• 1 month later...

20110827_reedy_meadow.jpg

With the tip I got from my GolfTEC swing analysis, I was finally able to drive the ball consistently 270 yards after messing up my drives on the first two holes. My putting and chipping were horribly off and I missed a few birdie putts that should have been gimmes. The course itself is pretty easy and not that well maintained, but they have kids tees, so I can go with my 7 year old son, which is great.

• 5 weeks later...

Didn't realize this thread had been started, now it's my turn... (is it bad that I only started looking to post my score cards cause I had my personal best round today!?)

Finally broke 90 for my first time:

88.jpg

I actually started this round on the back 9, finishing on the front. I normally blow up on my first hole every round, so getting a bogey on 10 was actually a decent start for me. Two things different about this round - normally I take a TON of photos on my iphone while playing (I don't think this changed my scoring, cause the last round I played was almost as good, but I only got through 16 holes that day) the other difference was when I lost my first ball, I didn't go pounding through the brush looking for it, I just took the drop/penalty and kept playing - normally I get all flustered and spend 5 minutes charging through the bushes accomplishing nothing.

I've been thinking about and trying to work on my putting more, and I think that made a difference in today's round, but I also was just striking the ball really really well, had some GREAT drives! (though I drove the green on hole 12 which is GREAT for me, but then managed to 3 putt for par.

Blew up on hole 14 and hole 7, but beyond that, I kept my cool and had some decent holes. Lost two balls - amazingly enough, only one blow up hole included a lost ball.

Can't wait to get out and play another 18 tomorrow!

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't had a chance to put it into my computer, but I had to brag about this one. I shot even with only 21 putts, 5 two putts, 11 one putts, and 2 zero putts (from fringe). It was probably the best round I've ever played. I missed quite a few greens, but only 2 of those weren't on the fringe. I also only missed 2 fairways. On number 11 I hit a 375yd drive (downwind); it went past the group in front of us, as they were hitting their 3rd shots into the green. I'm so stoked, as it's probably the last round Im going to play this year.

• 3 months later...

I had to dig this up after playing one of my best rounds ever. The scorecard says it was playing 7200yds, but it was closer to about 6900, with the tees moved up for winter. Other than the my putting (greens are shaggy and very grainy) and the double bogey (dumped my 2nd shot in the lake about 20yds short/left of the green), it was a very solid round. I don't remember hitting the ball better in my life. That "Always 80" swing thought that I have is really paying off.

My Round.JPG

I had a great ball striking day today. Wore the Smart Glove, and hit all the fairway, 15 GIR and lots of 2 putts. I would post my card but I read that I am not welcomed to do that on this thread. Beats yesterday, where I played the front 9 like I just found those clubs on the side of the road.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Archived