TESTERS WANTED! ×

I got a driver fitting—and my mind is blown!

9 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I'd never been fitted for any club in my bag, until yesterday. And I never, ever would have fitted myself into the specs I ended up with. I'm going with the long story version here; skip to the end if you just want to get to the point.

Goals

My hope this year is to replace my driver, for two reasons. The first is that I am a terrible off the tee (so it's gotta be the club, right?). Those who follow my single-digit-handicap thread know that last season, I was getting about 220 off the tee—and that that number represents about a 25 yard gain on the previous year.

The second is that my current driver doesn't fit my current goal in building my bag, which is forgiveness. Ever since my G700 iron test, I've been working to make my club setup as friendly as possible for an average golfer. The Rogue SZ isn't known for being that club. I bought it for two reasons: it showed well in the 2018 Most Wanted testing and it was on sale on Callaway Pre-Owned.

Fitting Attempts

Initially, I had a fitting scheduled at 2nd Swing in the Twin Cities, to coincide with a trip I was taking there. That was canceled the week the world shut down.

When that was canceled, I attempted a bit more formal home fitting. I currently own two Callaway heads:

• a Rogue Sub Zero, 10.5°
  • a Big Bertha Alpha 816 DBD, 9.0°

I also have three Callaway-tipped shafts:

• Project X EvenFlow Blue 65
  • Fujikura Speeder Evolution II TS 665
  • Aldila Tour Blue 85

And then I have multiple Callaway weights. Along with my SkyTrak, I figured I might try a whole bunch of combinations to find something that worked. I spent one Saturday hitting a bunch of balls, but it went terribly. One of the reasons I'm bad at driving is that I have no place to practice. My garage ceiling is too low to swing driver. I fear practicing outside, because pop-up drives are not unknown in my game. I absolutely don't want a drive that goes over the net in the neighborhood I live in.

After hitting a bunch of drives with various combinations, my average looked something like this:

image.png

That's pretty pathetic. I hit all over the face. The spin rates were very high; I was seeing shots in the upper 3000s with regularity. SkyTrak measures no head data, but I figured there was a very high likelihood that I'm hitting down on my drives. This explains the spin rates, the pop up drives, and the high launch angles.

Given how poorly I was striking the driver, though, my inclination was to move from the Rogue SZ to the Mavrik Max. In every way, it looked like it was designed to help a poor schlub like me hit better drives. I was excited when Callaway announced their new distance-fitting program. My hope was to get a shaft recommendation from them.

Given the numbers in my spreadsheet, it looked like my best shaft was the EvenFlow Blue, so I was looking for something similar for the Max. Looking at Callaway's shaft options, I had narrowed my options to about a half-dozen (mostly) mid-spin, mid-launch shafts, including the stock EvenFlow Riptide. After a couple emails back and forth (my local cell tower fritzed out the day of my scheduled call), it was looking likely that I would go with a pretty stock setup.

A Local Fitting!

Then I got an email from a course about an hour west of me: a Callaway fitting day! I called that day and booked a half-hour slot.

The fitting was yesterday. I got to the course and got a couple buckets of balls, so I could warm up and Kirke could keep occupied. [Speaking of, how pretty is this?]

I felt pretty good after my warmup swings. I was still waiting for my time slot, so the fitter built me a stock Max with a regular flex EvenFlow Riptide (I think it was the 50g version).

And I couldn't find the ball. Small panic sets in.

I am not a shaftoid (to use Mark Crossfield's term). I would not be able to tell you what my preferences are in a shaft. But I will say that the stock shaft felt very wobbly to me, and I was struggling mightily to make anything like reasonable contact with the ball.

My biggest disappointment in the fitting was that it was being done with a Swing Caddie, rather than a Trackman or GC Quad. It was outdoors, which was a big plus: I can swing freely. But I was hoping to learn some of the numbers, especially the head data, that I don't get from SkyTrak.

We began with a few swings from my current driver, and the numbers were worse than they were at home on the SkyTrak (I'm guessing a lot of this was due to the difference between a freer outdoor swing versus the cautious, don't-miss-the-net swing). My spin rate was in the upper 3,000s and my launch angle was around 20. My swing speed was just about where I would have guessed: 96-97. But putting all those together, I was carrying the ball just over 200 yards on the good shots. Not ideal, but pretty consistent with my on-course performance.

When we swapped in the Max (he put in a stiff shaft), the spin number went up closer to 4,000, which is what you'd guess going from the SZ to the Max. But that's a totally unplayable spin rate.

This became the mission, then: to lower the launch and the spin rate, to maximize the distance of the admittedly very imperfect swing I have right now. While I was fully expecting to go from Rogue SZ to Mavrik Max, the fitter decided to give me the Mavrik SZ. Eventually, he swapped in the 9.0° version of the SZ rather than the 10.5° I'm currently playing. Because of the roll of a driver face, because I'm hitting nearer the top of the driver, I'm increasing the effective loft. By lofting down, I'm counteracting that.

I did have one shaft on my shortlist in the low spin category, thinking that it might be useful if the Max increased spin: the Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI. So we tried that, and kept seeing progress. The fitter went back into the tent and built up one more version, and that was the winner. I got my spin down from a high of 4,000 down to 2,700. My carry went from 205ish to over 230, with a launch angle around 15 or 16. I dropped my peak height from over 110 feet to a more reasonable 90 or so.

So what was the magic formula in that last driver?

• Mavrik Sub Zero, 9° head geared down to 8°
  • Heavy weight forward
  • Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70g, in X-flex

My jaw dropped when I saw the settings he had given me. I would never, in a million educated guesses, have even begun to think that these specs would work for me. That's a setup for the 115-swing speed crowd, not the middle-of-the-bell-curve hacker like me. But the rationale behind the decisions makes sense in hindsight, and the proof was in the ball flight.

The fitter said he felt comfortable trying the X-flex with me because I have a fairly aggressive transition. That was interesting to hear, only because it wasn't something I had a good reference point to evaluate myself.

This is a hybrid swing, but I can see the point he was making. I'm definitely not a "pause at the top" kind of guy.

So there are plans in the works: I'm hoping to get my hands on this setup sooner rather than later. In the meantime, I'm probably gonna do some tinkering with the clubs I have on hand, seeing what I can do to drop my spin and lower my flight.

Also, I am planning to work on my swing. I've got a Plane Mate coming. So there is a question: if I've got this driver so extremely tweaked to deal with such bad impact conditions, what happens if I get better? Here's my hunch: I think the shaft will remain just fine. If I begin to come into the ball with a neutral or even positive AoA, I should be able to loft the head up and move the weight back. So I'm not terribly worried about that.

For now, I'm just enjoying the feeling of having my mind blown by the fitting. You guys know that I've never been anti-fitting, but just lacked opportunity. I can definitely add myself to the list of those who are now strong advocates of getting fitted if it's possible at all.

@GolfSpy MPR, I saw the ball speed numbers but didn't see swing speed - maybe I missed it? Also curious why you decided to stay with Callaway?

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

3 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

@GolfSpy MPR, I saw the ball speed numbers but didn't see swing speed - maybe I missed it? Also curious why you decided to stay with Callaway?

Swing speed sits right in the 96-97 zone. Need to get back to doing SuperSpeed training again and get that back up over 100.

As for staying with Callaway: it's not something I'm locked into. But there's a level of familiarity and some opportunity there.

Here's what my current stats look like from the rounds I've played this year:

image.png

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Wow! Great stuff now you can go around your regular group flexing those muscles since you’re in an X flex! Haha

How did you like the feel of the Aldila vs the evenflow blue?

Just goes to show you how much of a difference a fitting can make. What was that 15-20 yards of carry? Or total?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Niceeeeeeee

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I loved the feel. It felt very, very stable. I'd almost like to give some of the absurdly stiff shafts (Hulk and similar) a try, just so I have a reference point for what "too stiff" feels like.

The additional yards were carry: the LM he was using was only displaying carry.

Full WITB with pictures

MPR had never been fitted for a driver?! Holy cow!!! Congrats on the successful fitting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

2 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I'd never been fitted for any club in my bag, until yesterday. And I never, ever would have fitted myself into the specs I ended up with. I'm going with the long story version here; skip to the end if you just want to get to the point.

Goals

My hope this year is to replace my driver, for two reasons. The first is that I am a terrible off the tee (so it's gotta be the club, right?). Those who follow my single-digit-handicap thread know that last season, I was getting about 220 off the tee—and that that number represents about a 25 yard gain on the previous year.

The second is that my current driver doesn't fit my current goal in building my bag, which is forgiveness. Ever since my G700 iron test, I've been working to make my club setup as friendly as possible for an average golfer. The Rogue SZ isn't known for being that club. I bought it for two reasons: it showed well in the 2018 Most Wanted testing and it was on sale on Callaway Pre-Owned.

Fitting Attempts

Initially, I had a fitting scheduled at 2nd Swing in the Twin Cities, to coincide with a trip I was taking there. That was canceled the week the world shut down.

When that was canceled, I attempted a bit more formal home fitting. I currently own two Callaway heads:

• a Rogue Sub Zero, 10.5°
  • a Big Bertha Alpha 816 DBD, 9.0°

I also have three Callaway-tipped shafts:

• Project X EvenFlow Blue 65
  • Fujikura Speeder Evolution II TS 665
  • Aldila Tour Blue 85

And then I have multiple Callaway weights. Along with my SkyTrak, I figured I might try a whole bunch of combinations to find something that worked. I spent one Saturday hitting a bunch of balls, but it went terribly. One of the reasons I'm bad at driving is that I have no place to practice. My garage ceiling is too low to swing driver. I fear practicing outside, because pop-up drives are not unknown in my game. I absolutely don't want a drive that goes over the net in the neighborhood I live in.

After hitting a bunch of drives with various combinations, my average looked something like this:

image.png

That's pretty pathetic. I hit all over the face. The spin rates were very high; I was seeing shots in the upper 3000s with regularity. SkyTrak measures no head data, but I figured there was a very high likelihood that I'm hitting down on my drives. This explains the spin rates, the pop up drives, and the high launch angles.

Given how poorly I was striking the driver, though, my inclination was to move from the Rogue SZ to the Mavrik Max. In every way, it looked like it was designed to help a poor schlub like me hit better drives. I was excited when Callaway announced their new distance-fitting program. My hope was to get a shaft recommendation from them.

Given the numbers in my spreadsheet, it looked like my best shaft was the EvenFlow Blue, so I was looking for something similar for the Max. Looking at Callaway's shaft options, I had narrowed my options to about a half-dozen (mostly) mid-spin, mid-launch shafts, including the stock EvenFlow Riptide. After a couple emails back and forth (my local cell tower fritzed out the day of my scheduled call), it was looking likely that I would go with a pretty stock setup.

A Local Fitting!

Then I got an email from a course about an hour west of me: a Callaway fitting day! I called that day and booked a half-hour slot.

The fitting was yesterday. I got to the course and got a couple buckets of balls, so I could warm up and Kirke could keep occupied. [Speaking of, how pretty is this?]

I felt pretty good after my warmup swings. I was still waiting for my time slot, so the fitter built me a stock Max with a regular flex EvenFlow Riptide (I think it was the 50g version).

And I couldn't find the ball. Small panic sets in.

I am not a shaftoid (to use Mark Crossfield's term). I would not be able to tell you what my preferences are in a shaft. But I will say that the stock shaft felt very wobbly to me, and I was struggling mightily to make anything like reasonable contact with the ball.

My biggest disappointment in the fitting was that it was being done with a Swing Caddie, rather than a Trackman or GC Quad. It was outdoors, which was a big plus: I can swing freely. But I was hoping to learn some of the numbers, especially the head data, that I don't get from SkyTrak.

We began with a few swings from my current driver, and the numbers were worse than they were at home on the SkyTrak (I'm guessing a lot of this was due to the difference between a freer outdoor swing versus the cautious, don't-miss-the-net swing). My spin rate was in the upper 3,000s and my launch angle was around 20. My swing speed was just about where I would have guessed: 96-97. But putting all those together, I was carrying the ball just over 200 yards on the good shots. Not ideal, but pretty consistent with my on-course performance.

When we swapped in the Max (he put in a stiff shaft), the spin number went up closer to 4,000, which is what you'd guess going from the SZ to the Max. But that's a totally unplayable spin rate.

This became the mission, then: to lower the launch and the spin rate, to maximize the distance of the admittedly very imperfect swing I have right now. While I was fully expecting to go from Rogue SZ to Mavrik Max, the fitter decided to give me the Mavrik SZ. Eventually, he swapped in the 9.0° version of the SZ rather than the 10.5° I'm currently playing. Because of the roll of a driver face, because I'm hitting nearer the top of the driver, I'm increasing the effective loft. By lofting down, I'm counteracting that.

I did have one shaft on my shortlist in the low spin category, thinking that it might be useful if the Max increased spin: the Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI. So we tried that, and kept seeing progress. The fitter went back into the tent and built up one more version, and that was the winner. I got my spin down from a high of 4,000 down to 2,700. My carry went from 205ish to over 230, with a launch angle around 15 or 16. I dropped my peak height from over 110 feet to a more reasonable 90 or so.

So what was the magic formula in that last driver?

• Mavrik Sub Zero, 9° head geared down to 8°
  • Heavy weight forward
  • Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70g, in X-flex

My jaw dropped when I saw the settings he had given me. I would never, in a million educated guesses, have even begun to think that these specs would work for me. That's a setup for the 115-swing speed crowd, not the middle-of-the-bell-curve hacker like me. But the rationale behind the decisions makes sense in hindsight, and the proof was in the ball flight.

The fitter said he felt comfortable trying the X-flex with me because I have a fairly aggressive transition. That was interesting to hear, only because it wasn't something I had a good reference point to evaluate myself.

This is a hybrid swing, but I can see the point he was making. I'm definitely not a "pause at the top" kind of guy.

So there are plans in the works: I'm hoping to get my hands on this setup sooner rather than later. In the meantime, I'm probably gonna do some tinkering with the clubs I have on hand, seeing what I can do to drop my spin and lower my flight.

Also, I am planning to work on my swing. I've got a Plane Mate coming. So there is a question: if I've got this driver so extremely tweaked to deal with such bad impact conditions, what happens if I get better? Here's my hunch: I think the shaft will remain just fine. If I begin to come into the ball with a neutral or even positive AoA, I should be able to loft the head up and move the weight back. So I'm not terribly worried about that.

For now, I'm just enjoying the feeling of having my mind blown by the fitting. You guys know that I've never been anti-fitting, but just lacked opportunity. I can definitely add myself to the list of those who are now strong advocates of getting fitted if it's possible at all.

Glad this went well for you. The fitters are amazing thats all I can say. That toe drag is amazing! its funny you just dont notice those things until you see video (for me its my John Daly backswing) have you thought of going out for football? Could have some highlight reel toe drags.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Glad you finally got fit. There can be some truly incredible things that a fitter can find and inform you of during a fitting. Yes the specs now match your swing and get improvements but working on lowering your strike and hitting up on the ball really will help your swing.

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

Did you ever try plugging your numbers into the TrueGolfFit site? It would be interesting to see if that had a similar recommendation or if it would be off based on your swing speed.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, 35", Evnroll Tourtac grip
Putter2: :edel-golf-1: Array model?????

Currently testing the Edel Array putter

27 minutes ago, Bucky CC said:

Did you ever try plugging your numbers into the TrueGolfFit site? It would be interesting to see if that had a similar recommendation or if it would be off based on your swing speed.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Great question! I did when it first came out, and I think it recommended me a Taylormade M4. But I'm pretty sure I fed it bad info: I didn't realize how aggressively I hit down and how abrupt my transition really was. I should do it again, now that I have a better grasp of my own swing.

Full WITB with pictures

Just happened to stop the playback loop on your swing right here:

752859521_ScreenShot2020-05-19at3_46_23PM.png.6046fd078582b32e2d2588e3927527c7.png

Gotta say, from down-the-line that looks like a mighty fine position at the top. Get you some lessons to help on the other half of that swing and you'll see a big boost in distance and dispersion.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Just now, TR1PTIK said:

Just happened to stop the playback loop on your swing right here:

752859521_ScreenShot2020-05-19at3_46_23PM.png.6046fd078582b32e2d2588e3927527c7.png

Gotta say, from down-the-line that looks like a mighty fine position at the top. Get you some lessons to help on the other half of that swing and you'll see a big boost in distance and dispersion.

Couldn't agree more, if lessons were available within an hour's drive. But I'm hoping the Plane Mate helps me learn what the shallowing part of the downswing feels like. I know what I need to do; it's getting my body to agree that gives me the trouble 🙂

Full WITB with pictures

17 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Couldn't agree more, if lessons were available within an hour's drive. But I'm hoping the Plane Mate helps me learn what the shallowing part of the downswing feels like. I know what I need to do; it's getting my body to agree that gives me the trouble 🙂

Crossfield had a good drill that helped me out a few years ago (I'll have to dig around to see if I can find it) where he talked about feeling like your hands are trying to get into your right pocket. He did a drill with the driver with the club head cover on where - from the top - he moved down, let the club head drop and then dragged it on the ground has he turned through before picking it up on the other side to promote a feeling of dropping the hands and using the body to turn through. Not sure how much it would help you, but it certainly worked for me when I was struggling.

EDIT: Well... I've probably spent 1-2 hours trying to find the video and I've come to realize exactly two things. One, Mark Crossfield has been doing the YouTube thing for a long time. Two, the man posts a lot of stinking videos!!! Unfortunately, I have not come across the one containing the previously referenced drill. 😞 

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Excellent stuff @GolfSpy MPR, it just goes to show that what we feel like we are doing and what the numbers show can be miles apart! 

On another note, you, my friend, are going to have to work really hard to keep ahead of Kirke. He has a freedom in his swing and a joy for the game that we could all benefit from 😁😎

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

Have you ever given online lessons a shot?

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

5 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I loved the feel. It felt very, very stable. I'd almost like to give some of the absurdly stiff shafts (Hulk and similar) a try, just so I have a reference point for what "too stiff" feels like.

The additional yards were carry: the LM he was using was only displaying carry.

Wolcott to the x- stiff shaft club!

I might need to take a couple cuts on it!

13 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

@GolfSpy MPR send your video in to monte scheinblum while he's running the $50 analysis promo

11 minutes ago, Erik-M said:

I might need to take a couple cuts on it!

put a sky mark on it and you have to buy it!

2 minutes ago, yungkory said:

@GolfSpy MPR send your video in to monte scheinblum while he's running the $50 analysis promo

put a sky mark on it and you have to buy it!

I've been working with Monte for a little while now. I had an in-person lesson with him back in December and then started on the "Improvement Plan" he is offering now. And I have most of his videos as well. He has an uncanny ability to find the true root cause of swing issues. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

1 minute ago, dlow206 said:

I've been working with Monte for a little while now. I had an in-person lesson with him back in December and then started on the "Improvement Plan" he is offering now. And I have most of his videos as well. He has an uncanny ability to find the true root cause of swing issues. 

Yeah, a few years ago he gave me free swing advice and it led me to looking him up on YouTube. I like that he doesn't teach one swing -- any coach that does this is a winner in my books!

3 minutes ago, Popeye64 said:

It's crazy to think he would even reach for that shaft with your swing specs. Welp if it works for you then congratulations.

This is why it is hard to answer the "recommend a shaft for me" question.   The dynamics of how you swing and what helps you find the center of the face is impossible to guess.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

This is why it is hard to answer the "recommend a shaft for me" question.   The dynamics of how you swing and what helps you find the center of the face is impossible to guess.   
I know its working for him but there seems to be a lot going on in his swing. Really hitting down on the ball. Producing a lot of spin, with a quick transition. That's a heavy shaft. Really stiff, turned down to 8°. I think its masking the issues. BUT, it works now.
I hope moving forward its a shaft that will grow with his swing,, but from what I see in the extensive shaft testing and fitting I do.. it doesn't work on paper.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, dlow206 said:

I haven't, though I've considered it. Over the past couple of years, I've had some good online discussions with Adam Young; he'd be my first choice if I went that route.

Full WITB with pictures

Now that I've finally read this, I suspect you and I suffer from similar diseases - I also tend to hit down on the ball, generate too much backspin, and have a pretty harsh transition. While I obviously don't know if your solution would be right for me, it certainly highlights that I need a proper driver fitting.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

4 hours ago, Maccaroni_tiime said:

Anyone here reccomend a good fitter in austin?

No. But one of the best in the state is Keith Chatham in Kerrville. Although he's a Wishon house primarily I'd still call him. I'd assume he'd fit you into whatever. Keith's been applying his trade for 30 years. His fitting (irons) for me transformed my game. (BTW - I also worked hard on improving my swing)

http://www.precisionfitgolf.com/

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

You don't have to be 6'2" and 195 lbs. to swing an X flex.  Anyone with SS close to triple digit could try the X flex in driver ( shorter sticks are a different story ).  Especially you have an aggressive transition and through the golf ball.  The point to watch out for is not the numbers produced off the L/M for a few golf swings.  

The key is, can one swing the flex with the same efficiency 30-50 times in a roll ?  Many of us could muster up and swing an X flex shaft in driver decently; for a couple of times.   The issue is that if you feel that you could not master the flex on the 18th tee, then it could be too stiff a flex in your bag.

I can still swing the drivers I used a few decades ago, but only for a couple of good swings.    

Edited by release