I got a driver fitting—and my mind is blown!

1 minute ago, dlow206 said:

I've been working with Monte for a little while now. I had an in-person lesson with him back in December and then started on the "Improvement Plan" he is offering now. And I have most of his videos as well. He has an uncanny ability to find the true root cause of swing issues. 

Yeah, a few years ago he gave me free swing advice and it led me to looking him up on YouTube. I like that he doesn't teach one swing -- any coach that does this is a winner in my books!

• Like 6

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 w/ BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

3 minutes ago, Popeye64 said:

It's crazy to think he would even reach for that shaft with your swing specs. Welp if it works for you then congratulations.

This is why it is hard to answer the "recommend a shaft for me" question.   The dynamics of how you swing and what helps you find the center of the face is impossible to guess.   

• Like 8

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 5-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

This is why it is hard to answer the "recommend a shaft for me" question.   The dynamics of how you swing and what helps you find the center of the face is impossible to guess.   
I know its working for him but there seems to be a lot going on in his swing. Really hitting down on the ball. Producing a lot of spin, with a quick transition. That's a heavy shaft. Really stiff, turned down to 8°. I think its masking the issues. BUT, it works now.
I hope moving forward its a shaft that will grow with his swing,, but from what I see in the extensive shaft testing and fitting I do.. it doesn't work on paper.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Have you ever given online lessons a shot?

I haven't, though I've considered it. Over the past couple of years, I've had some good online discussions with Adam Young; he'd be my first choice if I went that route.

• Like 2

:titelist-small: TS3
:callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero 15°, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 S
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 18.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:callaway-small: XR Pro 20°, Project X 75 Black HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX Iron-Wood 22°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0 85g
:Sub70: 699 Pro, Modus3 105, 6–PW
:Sub70: Forged Black 50°, 54°, and 58°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0
:taylormade-small: TP5x

Full WITB with pictures

Now that I've finally read this, I suspect you and I suffer from similar diseases - I also tend to hit down on the ball, generate too much backspin, and have a pretty harsh transition. While I obviously don't know if your solution would be right for me, it certainly highlights that I need a proper driver fitting.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W: :callaway-small: RAZR Fit TourAD something or other
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 58*
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x Pix
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

4 hours ago, Maccaroni_tiime said:

Anyone here reccomend a good fitter in austin?

No. But one of the best in the state is Keith Chatham in Kerrville. Although he's a Wishon house primarily I'd still call him. I'd assume he'd fit you into whatever. Keith's been applying his trade for 30 years. His fitting (irons) for me transformed my game. (BTW - I also worked hard on improving my swing)

http://www.precisionfitgolf.com/

• Like 1

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

You don't have to be 6'2" and 195 lbs. to swing an X flex.  Anyone with SS close to triple digit could try the X flex in driver ( shorter sticks are a different story ).  Especially you have an aggressive transition and through the golf ball.  The point to watch out for is not the numbers produced off the L/M for a few golf swings.  

The key is, can one swing the flex with the same efficiency 30-50 times in a roll ?  Many of us could muster up and swing an X flex shaft in driver decently; for a couple of times.   The issue is that if you feel that you could not master the flex on the 18th tee, then it could be too stiff a flex in your bag.

I can still swing the drivers I used a few decades ago, but only for a couple of good swings.    

Edited by release
  • Like 2