Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

NC golf courses

I live in NC, and try to play as often and as varied courses as possible.  I love my home course, but variety is fun too.

Fairly familiar with the Pinehurst area and the courses available there.   

What other courses would you rate highly in NC?   

Thanks in advance

Handicap 12

Driver:  TaylorMade M3 Fuji Speed Shaft R Flex

3-Wood: TaylorMade M3 Fuji Speed Shaft R Flex

Hybrids:  TaylorMade GAPR Mid, GAPR Hi

Irons:    TaylorMade P-790 5-PW, Oban Shafts, R+ Flex

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 56 Full Grind, Oban shafts, Cleveland RTX 60, Mid Grind, Oban Shaft

Putter:  Odyssey DF-550

In Pinehurst, I love pine needles and mid pines. I've heard that Asheville has some decent courses, like the Omni resort course. In the Raleigh NC area I'd play some of the University courses, like the Duke course and UNC Finley Course. 

:callaway-small: Mavrik Subzero, 9.5*, VA Nemesys 75, Golfpride MCC Align Midsize

:callaway-small: Mavrik Max Fairway Wood, 15*, Stock shaft, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:titelist-small: Titleist U500 21*, Hzrdus Smoke Stiff, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:benhogan-small: 2020 Ben Hogan Icon Irons 8-PW, Project X LZ, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:benhogan-small: 2020 Ben Hogan PTxPro Irons 4-7, Project X LZ, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:titelist-small: Vokey SM8 50*, 54*, 60*, Stock vokey shaft, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:cameron-small: Scotty Cameron California Mid-Mallet

If you have connections with a member, Wade Hampton in Cashiers, NC is an awesome course.  Tough to get on but definitely worth it.  In the same area is an outstanding par 3 course, Headwaters, but once again, you've got to know somebody.  I've played both and enjoyed them a lot.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

Wade Hampton is on the bucket list, but it's tough to get on!

I'm always on the lookout for a connection there.....

Handicap 12

Driver:  TaylorMade M3 Fuji Speed Shaft R Flex

3-Wood: TaylorMade M3 Fuji Speed Shaft R Flex

Hybrids:  TaylorMade GAPR Mid, GAPR Hi

Irons:    TaylorMade P-790 5-PW, Oban Shafts, R+ Flex

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 56 Full Grind, Oban shafts, Cleveland RTX 60, Mid Grind, Oban Shaft

Putter:  Odyssey DF-550

2 hours ago, boat22 said:

In Pinehurst, I love pine needles and mid pines. I've heard that Asheville has some decent courses, like the Omni resort course. In the Raleigh NC area I'd play some of the University courses, like the Duke course and UNC Finley Course. 

Don't forget Lonnie Poole (NCSU). It's my favorite of the three main university courses. YMMV. It is certainly unique in its design compared to the others.

I'm also a fan of Dormie Club (https://www.dormienetwork.com/dormieclub/). Just realized they've moved back to private status, which is a bummer.

Edited by Deuce

What's in My Bag?

Driver: Cobra F6

Fairway: Cobra F6 3/4

Hybrids: Wilson Staff D100ES (4 & 5)

Irons: Wilson Staff C200 (6i to GW)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX (52, 56, and 60°)

Putter: Happy Putter Blade

On 5/20/2020 at 11:58 AM, Deuce said:

Don't forget Lonnie Poole (NCSU). It's my favorite of the three main university courses. YMMV. It is certainly unique in its design compared to the others.

I'm also a fan of Dormie Club (https://www.dormienetwork.com/dormieclub/). Just realized they've moved back to private status, which is a bummer.

I played dormie recently. You can still play, but have to book through their partners. (Talamore and tabacco road, I think).

:callaway-small: Mavrik Subzero, 9.5*, VA Nemesys 75, Golfpride MCC Align Midsize

:callaway-small: Mavrik Max Fairway Wood, 15*, Stock shaft, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:titelist-small: Titleist U500 21*, Hzrdus Smoke Stiff, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:benhogan-small: 2020 Ben Hogan Icon Irons 8-PW, Project X LZ, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:benhogan-small: 2020 Ben Hogan PTxPro Irons 4-7, Project X LZ, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:titelist-small: Vokey SM8 50*, 54*, 60*, Stock vokey shaft, Golfpride MCC Midsize

:cameron-small: Scotty Cameron California Mid-Mallet

20 hours ago, boat22 said:

I played dormie recently. You can still play, but have to book through their partners. (Talamore and tabacco road, I think).

Thanks for this information. I would love to play it again soon (though my game is horrid atm) before/if it's closed to the public.

What's in My Bag?

Driver: Cobra F6

Fairway: Cobra F6 3/4

Hybrids: Wilson Staff D100ES (4 & 5)

Irons: Wilson Staff C200 (6i to GW)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX (52, 56, and 60°)

Putter: Happy Putter Blade

21 hours ago, boat22 said:

Dormie is one of my favorites down there.  I go down every year and have played them all.  Mid South is good too!  Tobacco Road is a must play

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

On 5/20/2020 at 9:34 AM, Shodags said:

I live in NC, and try to play as often and as varied courses as possible.  I love my home course, but variety is fun too.

Fairly familiar with the Pinehurst area and the courses available there.   

What other courses would you rate highly in NC?   

Thanks in advance

Scotch Hall is a *lot* of fun. I drove it as a day trip (about 2.5 hours from you) and snagged a GroupGolfer for it (I think it was $35?) and had an absolute blast. On the complete other side of the state, I had a work trip to Cherokee, so I added a day and played Sequoyah National. Also a fun track and as long as you're accounting for elevation (changes), it's really scorable.

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review