TESTERS WANTED! ×

SuperSpeed training system - without a launch monitor

Has anyone tried the SuperSpeed training system, not using a launch monitor but just going through the protocol?

I'm curious about results, either perceived or actual.

Thanks

Handicap 12

Driver:  TaylorMade M3 Fuji Speed Shaft R Flex

3-Wood: TaylorMade M3 Fuji Speed Shaft R Flex

Hybrids:  TaylorMade GAPR Mid, GAPR Hi

Irons:    TaylorMade P-790 5-PW, Oban Shafts, R+ Flex

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 56 Full Grind, Oban shafts, Cleveland RTX 60, Mid Grind, Oban Shaft

Putter:  Odyssey DF-550

Welcome to the forums!  I know this has been touched upon in the main SuperSpeed thread from 2018.  But I can't blame you for not seeing it in that massive thread.

I would caution anyone who is using SuperSpeed and not using a radar of some sort for tracking swing speed.  It's almost impossible to feel what is truly faster without seeing the numbers for validation.  One of the best parts of the program so far for me has been seeing what triggers and feels result in the greatest speed for me.  Before this program I would have been in the "Grip it and Rip it" crew on a long drive hole and I've found that those swings are significantly slower than my top speeds which come from smooth swings where my main thought is "finish the backswing."

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

I assumed it had been discussed, and I dug through some of the new review posts, but lots of information on the 2018 thread!!

Thanks for the feedback!

Handicap 12

Driver:  TaylorMade M3 Fuji Speed Shaft R Flex

3-Wood: TaylorMade M3 Fuji Speed Shaft R Flex

Hybrids:  TaylorMade GAPR Mid, GAPR Hi

Irons:    TaylorMade P-790 5-PW, Oban Shafts, R+ Flex

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 56 Full Grind, Oban shafts, Cleveland RTX 60, Mid Grind, Oban Shaft

Putter:  Odyssey DF-550

I assumed it had been discussed, and I dug through some of the new review posts, but lots of information on the 2018 thread!!

Thanks for the feedback!

No worries, I definitely didn’t get all the way back through it. Jump on the 2020 thread, that one isn’t as much of a beast (yet) to get caught up haha.

Like [mention]jlukes [/mention] said, there’s nothing preventing you from doing the workouts, and I’m sure you would still see some gains. I just don’t see how you could be optimizing the workouts without getting the feedback from seeing your speeds as you’re hitting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

I'm only a week and a half into SuperSpeed so not an expert (yet). Can you use the sticks and work the program according to their protocols? Of course - it's fairly simple, at least the first protocol. However, what I found is that I can't tell the speed difference between swings - perhaps others can, so the LM really helps me. The other 'thing' the LM does for me is, it motivates me through data to swing harder on my next swing.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

5 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

I'm only a week and a half into SuperSpeed so not an expert (yet). Can you use the sticks and work the program according to their protocols? Of course - it's fairly simple, at least the first protocol. However, what I found is that I can't tell the speed difference between swings - perhaps others can, so the LM really helps me. The other 'thing' the LM does for me is, it motivates me through data to swing harder on my next swing.

I'm going to have to completely agree. I believe you can do the protocols without a radar, but I don't believe you're going to see the full potential of the program without a way to measure speed. As @B.Boston said, knowing the difference between a perceived fast swing and a true fast swing helps you to learn what you need to do in order to swing faster and not just swing harder. Plus, if you are a competitive person, it's a great motivator to try to be faster on the next swing. 

1 hour ago, sirchunksalot said:

I'm going to have to completely agree. I believe you can do the protocols without a radar, but I don't believe you're going to see the full potential of the program without a way to measure speed. As @B.Boston said, knowing the difference between a perceived fast swing and a true fast swing helps you to learn what you need to do in order to swing faster and not just swing harder. Plus, if you are a competitive person, it's a great motivator to try to be faster on the next swing. 

Oh yeah! I’ve had a few days where you’re grinding for it and want some really fast ones to end it and also days where my First three are already in that upper range and then I’m thinking like hell yeah! Let’s bust some records. Without the radar I wouldn’t be able to get as amped up about it. It would just be a swing workout and honestly I probably would have gotten bored by now. With the radar you get the competitive juices going and it’s a lot more motivating. 

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Ben Larsen said:

Can I ask what LMs you all are using with this?

I'm using the swingspeed radar.

https://www.amazon.com/Sports-Sensors-Swing-Speed-Radar/dp/B00124P7SI/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-p13n1_0?cv_ct_cx=swing+speed+radar&dchild=1&keywords=swing+speed+radar&pd_rd_i=B00124P7SI&pd_rd_r=542c57a3-0b65-4d83-be2f-41b3f1832321&pd_rd_w=o46fn&pd_rd_wg=V90bT&pf_rd_p=1da5beeb-8f71-435c-b5c5-3279a6171294&pf_rd_r=TVEWJS53AZ34D191WECE&psc=1&qid=1591147606&sr=1-1-70f7c15d-07d8-466a-b325-4be35d7258cc

They've started offering a different one on their site which gets a lot more than just the swingspeed.  I'd check out the 2020 testing thread to read their early opinions on it.

I've also heard of other members using the Swing Caddy SC200 or SC300.  Not really sure much about those and the differences.

I'm using the swingspeed radar.
https://www.amazon.com/Sports-Sensors-Swing-Speed-Radar/dp/B00124P7SI/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-p13n1_0?cv_ct_cx=swing+speed+radar&dchild=1&keywords=swing+speed+radar&pd_rd_i=B00124P7SI&pd_rd_r=542c57a3-0b65-4d83-be2f-41b3f1832321&pd_rd_w=o46fn&pd_rd_wg=V90bT&pf_rd_p=1da5beeb-8f71-435c-b5c5-3279a6171294&pf_rd_r=TVEWJS53AZ34D191WECE&psc=1&qid=1591147606&sr=1-1-70f7c15d-07d8-466a-b325-4be35d7258cc
They've started offering a different one on their site which gets a lot more than just the swingspeed.  I'd check out the 2020 testing thread to read their early opinions on it.
I've also heard of other members using the Swing Caddy SC200 or SC300.  Not really sure much about those and the differences.

SuperSpeed recommends the PRGR monitor. Coincidently I had both the PRGR and the SC200 side by side today on the driving range. The swing speed and ball speeds were almost identical, however the big miss on the PRGR monitor was carry. The PRGR was underreporting carry by almost 40 yds.

Keep in mind the SC200 must be used with a ball while the PRGR doesn't need one. There is a new SC200 Plus that will read swing speed without a ball, however it is pricier.

My personal opinion is the the SuperSpeed program without a launch monitor does not make sense.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

15 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

My personal opinion is the the SuperSpeed program without a launch monitor does not make sense.

I'm into week 2, and didn't get a radar and won't...fiscal constraints.

The motivation argument...to me that's personality dependent, right?  If you need to see an increase or a number every workout to bring you back again then maybe you need one.  For me (and this is going to be hard to say/type without sounding arrogant, and by no means do I mean it that way), I've been a first-thing-in-the-morning self-starter on a fitness regimen for probably 20 years now.  I won't have a problem coming back to the next SuperSpeed workout without a monitor, because I trust I'll see my rewards eventually, on the course.  I mean, I'm content, and excited, to simply chase the eureka moment of getting a jump and seeing my drives go where my drives haven't gone before.  Naïve?

Now, the radar as a tool to help you learn HOW to swing fast...that argument does resonate, and bothers me a bit.  But, it seems to me if I'm working hard and focusing on maximum effort, I'm going to get the brain reprogramming this training aid is promising, correct?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

2 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

The motivation argument...to me that's personality dependent, right?  If you need to see an increase or a number every workout to bring you back again then maybe you need one.  For me (and this is going to be hard to say/type without sounding arrogant, and by no means do I mean it that way), I've been a first-thing-in-the-morning self-starter on a fitness regimen for probably 20 years now.  I won't have a problem coming back to the next SuperSpeed workout without a monitor, because I trust I'll see my rewards eventually, on the course.  I mean, I'm content, and excited, to simply chase the eureka moment of getting a jump and seeing my drives go where my drives haven't gone before.  Naïve?

Now, the radar as a tool to help you learn HOW to swing fast...that argument does resonate, and bothers me a bit.  But, it seems to me if I'm working hard and focusing on maximum effort, I'm going to get the brain reprogramming this training aid is promising, correct?

i certainly understand - especially the fiscal constraints. The point I was making is if you're looking for incremental speed changes it's difficult to tell without one. For instance I can't tell the difference between 88 and 91 mph. If I'm looking to make ongoing improvements I need some form of measuring device.On the other hand if you're using this as part of a workout program then your correct you don't need one.

Obviously the ultimate test is on the course - did the ball carry further after utilizing the program. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

The only thing I’d caution is that the Radar is a tool to measure your final output. There are times I swing *hard* and think I’ve swung it fast, only to find live lost speed to my other swings. I think its easy to take a “grip it and rip it” mentality to the swing sticks which may be the way you swing your fastest, but that is not the case for me.

You wouldn’t go into the gym and start lifting weights without knowing how much you were lifting right? Especially if you’re trying to maximize your output. You need something to measure against.

If you do the workouts without a radar I’d recommend really paying attention to the “wooosh” in your swing and not fall into the trap of swinging harder which rarely results in faster.

1 minute ago, B.Boston said:

The only thing I’d caution is that the Radar is a tool to measure your final output. There are times I swing *hard* and think I’ve swung it fast, only to find live lost speed to my other swings. I think its easy to take a “grip it and rip it” mentality to the swing sticks which may be the way you swing your fastest, but that is not the case for me.

You wouldn’t go into the gym and start lifting weights without knowing how much you were lifting right? Especially if you’re trying to maximize your output. You need something to measure against.

If you do the workouts without a radar I’d recommend really paying attention to the “wooosh” in your swing and not fall into the trap of swinging harder which rarely results in faster.

Sound advice, and something I'm mindful of.  I know they're not concerned with technique but I do pay close attention to make sure I start from the ground up, avoid casting, that the "woosh" comes a bit after where impact would be.  My only really point here is that the system can still be effective, just admittedly a little harder to maximize without the radar. 

I know I'm spouting off a lot of opinion here only 2 weeks in...thanks all for humoring me.  I guess I'll see how effective it is on the course in time.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

Sound advice, and something I'm mindful of.  I know they're not concerned with technique but I do pay close attention to make sure I start from the ground up, avoid casting, that the "woosh" comes a bit after where impact would be.  My only really point here is that the system can still be effective, just admittedly a little harder to maximize without the radar. 
I know I'm spouting off a lot of opinion here only 2 weeks in...thanks all for humoring me.  I guess I'll see how effective it is on the course in time.

And I hope I didn’t come across as saying it cant be done without it. It sounds like you’re on the right track and paying attention to the right things for it to be effective. I completely understand those things aren’t cheap for what they do.

Swing fast my friend! IMG_0375.GIF

• 1 month later...

I also have just begun this odyssey of super speed..and in my humble opinion..let the final result be the judge.  Are you hitting the ball further than you were when you started?  If so, then it is working for you.  If you are not hitting it further, then you need to consider other options.  Lets face it..the idea is to hit the little white thing further than when we started. 🙂

M2 Driver Fujikura Regular Flex

Mizuno 921 Tour Irons-- Titleist Wedges

A new Sik Armlock putter

The radar should allow you to monitor and experiment to see if certain swing thoughts help you with speed (loose grip, bigger turn, etc). These could be valuable keys to incorporate into your on course swing to see immediate gains. 

Another benefit will be seeing if your speed is dropping and assessing possible causes - did you just lift weights or play 18 holes, are you hungover after sleeping 4 hours the night before... My back is stiff today, it takes me an extra 5-10 swings to get loose and up to speed. Also, are you seeing your speed drop over the course of the protocol which could indicate too high of reps or training to frequently. Some independent sources are putting out information that you can get the majority of the benefit from SuperSpeed in a fraction of the reps and only use it 1-2X per week. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

Hey everyone!  I’m new here and still getting my bearings, filling out my profile, etc...  I too purchased a Super Swing system without the monitor because the monitor seemed too basic.  If I’m going to plunk down a bunch of money for one, I don’t mind spending a little more for one that does more.  Any suggestions on monitors that can work the SS and give me a little more bang for my buck?  And if this was discussed earlier I apologize in advance.  Thanks 

Hey everyone!  I’m new here and still getting my bearings, filling out my profile, etc...  I too purchased a Super Swing system without the monitor because the monitor seemed too basic.  If I’m going to plunk down a bunch of money for one, I don’t mind spending a little more for one that does more.  Any suggestions on monitors that can work the SS and give me a little more bang for my buck?  And if this was discussed earlier I apologize in advance.  Thanks 

I believe the new SC300 + allows for measurement without hitting a ball. While the PRGR is pretty basic, it still does the job.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

15 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

I believe the new SC300 + allows for measurement without hitting a ball. While the PRGR is pretty basic, it still does the job.

The swingspeed radar (the unit recommended prior to the PRGR) is effective and I have heard can be found inexpensively if you buy used on ebay.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG