TESTERS WANTED! ×

Any intel on Callaway MD5 wedges?

AceBino

Hi everyone....was looking to replace my Callaway MD4 wedges with the MD5s.  I went to the MD4s from Vokeys because I had a great deal on the price, and I really liked them.  That was almost 2 years ago now, and I think its time to replace them; they are starting to lose their bite on pitch shots (30-60 yards) where I once had a good amount.  I was fitted by my buddy (who I used to work with at a now out of business big box golf retailer) and I was at 54*/S and 58*/S.  

Anyone have intel on the MD5s?  Or, if you have had really good success that you want to share with another brand, I'm not "brand-exclusive".  Thanks!

Driver:  :callaway-small: XR16 10.5* (set to 9.5*), MRC KuroKage TiNi Black, S-flex

3 wood:  :ping-small: G410, Alta 65 S-flex

Hybrids:  :ping-small: G400 19* & 22*, Alta CB 70 S-flex

Irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX-900 5-GW, Proj X LZ 6.0

Wedges:  :titelist-small: SM7, 54*/S; :callaway-small: MD4, 58*/S

Putter:  :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Black 2.0 #1

I have 58/C-grind and 64-S-grind degree MD5 wedges. Stock TT steel wedge flex shaft but I had them bent 2 flat. Very nice in address position and stick(spin) just right for me. I am particularly surprised how well or easy they are to chip with. Historically I have gamed wider sole PING (still have the Glide 3.0 in 54 and love it) wedges. The MD5 64 is a fun wedge but I don't carry it in the bag all the time, the 58 is more than versatile enough for me.

23 hours ago, AceBino said:

Hi everyone....was looking to replace my Callaway MD4 wedges with the MD5s.  I went to the MD4s from Vokeys because I had a great deal on the price, and I really liked them.  That was almost 2 years ago now, and I think its time to replace them; they are starting to lose their bite on pitch shots (30-60 yards) where I once had a good amount.  I was fitted by my buddy (who I used to work with at a now out of business big box golf retailer) and I was at 54*/S and 58*/S.  

Anyone have intel on the MD5s?  Or, if you have had really good success that you want to share with another brand, I'm not "brand-exclusive".  Thanks!

Curious, why did you choose the MD4 over the Vokey?

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

17 minutes ago, ballplayer002003 said:

Curious, why did you choose the MD4 over the Vokey?

I carried the Vokeys (I think they were the SM5s at the time?) longer on full swings, but the spin I got from pitch shots and chip shots around the greens was pretty much the same.  Out of the bunkers they also were equal.  It came down to cost, and I got a nice deal on them. 

Driver:  :callaway-small: XR16 10.5* (set to 9.5*), MRC KuroKage TiNi Black, S-flex

4 minutes ago, AceBino said:

I carried the Vokeys (I think they were the SM5s at the time?) longer on full swings, but the spin I got from pitch shots and chip shots around the greens was pretty much the same.  Out of the bunkers they also were equal.  It came down to cost, and I got a nice deal on them. 

Just saw that the new Vokey's are about $200 now, sounds like I need to try another wedge.  It's been a few years since I have switched mine out. 

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

11 minutes ago, ballplayer002003 said:

Just saw that the new Vokey's are about $200 now, sounds like I need to try another wedge.  It's been a few years since I have switched mine out. 

Right....but I think you can get the SM7 for like $120/each now.  I have been reading some really nice reviews on this site on the Maltby M-Series wedges, and for the price point of about $60-70/wedge it might be worth the experiment.

2 hours ago, ballplayer002003 said:

Not sure where you see the vokeys are $200 unless you are looking at the Vokey website and that price is msrp. They retail in stores for $159.99 same as the sm7 and iirc that was the price of the sm6 or about $10 over them

$159.99 same price as md5

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1