TESTERS WANTED! ×

Are Hireko golf clubs any good?

Guest Delete

• Guests
Guest Delete

Does anyone have any experience with any of the clubs, components, or company found at Hireko golf?

I came across them a couple times online and their prices are very competitive, but are they any good? 

I have tried and love my Maltby gear. Do the clubs from Hireko stand up to Maltby?

I like both Hireko and GolfWorks but for different reasons.  First I will answer the bottom line question "Do the clubs from Hireko stand up to Maltby?" IMO, no they do not. Caveat, I have not built any of their(Hireko) newer models but I have with GolfWorks. I trust GolfWorks regarding their club head model designs/quality and spec tolerances. I buy most of my club making supplies through GolfWorks but I will occasionally purchase golf shafts/grips from Hireko as they have really good closeout sales at times. But not the component club heads. 

• Guests
Guest Delete
On 5/20/2020 at 10:38 PM, aerospace_ray said:

I like both Hireko and GolfWorks but for different reasons.  First I will answer the bottom line question "Do the clubs from Hireko stand up to Maltby?" IMO, no they do not. Caveat, I have not built any of their(Hireko) newer models but I have with GolfWorks. I trust GolfWorks regarding their club head model designs/quality and spec tolerances. I buy most of my club making supplies through GolfWorks but I will occasionally purchase golf shafts/grips from Hireko as they have really good closeout sales at times. But not the component club heads. 

I know Maltby designs their clubs but does Hireko design theirs? Are Acer and Pinhawk owned by Hireko?

Not sure about Pinhawk, think they are their own entity. Regarding Acer, most likely but don't know for sure. I have contacted Hireko customer service in the past and they were very nice/knowledgeable. They might could provide you with design answers/information you might have.

Link to MGS article regarding ACER: 

(circa 2013) https://mygolfspy.com/ultimate-review-acer-xs-driver/ . 

• Guests
Guest Delete
1 hour ago, aerospace_ray said:

Not sure about Pinhawk, think they are their own entity. Regarding Acer, most likely but don't know for sure. I have contacted Hireko customer service in the past and they were very nice/knowledgeable. They might could provide you with design answers/information you might have.

Yup, found that article. Didn't find much else on here, so that's why I started the new thread to explore more. 

I have found lots of Maltby lovers on here. Not so many Hireko/Acer/Pinhawk. I wonder why?

3 minutes ago, TimoTe said:

Yup, found that article. Didn't find much else on here, so that's why I started the new thread to explore more. 

I have found lots of Maltby lovers on here. Not so many Hireko/Acer/Pinhawk. I wonder why?

Maltby has been around since the mid 1970's I believe. I started getting their catalogs in the 80's and buying from them. While I remember the ACER brand back in the  mid 90's, I think Hireko started early 2000's (could be off here). Think Maltby has brand recognition as they have been around much longer and Ralph Maltby club making/repair/fitting schools are well established. I did not hear of Pinhawk until the single length club movement gain in popularity (last ~10 years or so). 

Pinhawks are a separate entity, and they are pretty good. Dave Tutelman preferred pinhawk heads over other single lengths due to their matching of his "progressive gapping" preference. He talks about it in a 3 piece article on his site that's pretty dense w data and analysis (if that's your thing).

I have a dynacraft hollow body driving iron that I got from hireko for $17 (for the head). I paired that up w a recoil pull and I love that club, it's my go-to for tee shots if driver isn't behaving.

What I will say is that I glued together a few of their sets for buddies and lofts, lies and head weights are not spot on. I have a loft lie machine in the basement, so no big deal. Other than that they work.

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

I bought a pickup truck bed worth of components from the estate of a mom/pop club builder. He built mostly dynacraft stuff, so I got a lot of odd components from the 80s. I believe hireko bought out dynacraft the same way that diamond golf bought wishon?

From what I understand Dynacraft was a big name with amateur club builders and both dynacraft and hireko did/do a lot of club building education and seminars. As far as the lower end of components go, the only ones that really deserve the bad rap are the "clones". Quality is really poor.

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

• Guests
Guest Delete
On 5/24/2020 at 9:08 AM, aerospace_ray said:

I called Hireko and spoke to the guy who makes the videos (tech line). He explained that they design the clubs from Acer and most of the brands in their website. They own the other brands in their website by acquiring them over the years. And, as they acquire them they would tweak the designs to what is available today. He mentioned they also had design input on the Pinhawk heads too.

I have to say I am more impressed now to the point of considering buying some components to actually test them. I haven't tried anything of theirs yet, but now I am willing to. 

I called Hireko and spoke to the guy who makes the videos (tech line). He explained that they design the clubs from Acer and most of the brands in their website. They own the other brands in their website by acquiring them over the years. And, as they acquire them they would tweak the designs to what is available today. He mentioned they also had design input on the Pinhawk heads too.
I have to say I am more impressed now to the point of considering buying some components to actually test them. I haven't tried anything of theirs yet, but now I am willing to. 
Thank you for the update. I have been researching single length clubs again and I may just have to order a few Pinhawks to build/test.

Sent from my SM-N960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Guests
Guest Delete
3 hours ago, aerospace_ray said:

Thank you for the update. I have been researching single length clubs again and I may just have to order a few Pinhawks to build/test.

Sent from my SM-N960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I saw they also have a dual length set for people that just don't want to play long 6i length short irons. The long irons are 5i length and the mid and short irons are 8i length. 

https://www.hirekogolf.com/golf-components/clubheads/golf-irons/pinhawk-vertex-dual-length-iron-clubhead.html

5 minutes ago, TimoTe said:

I saw they also have a dual length set for people that just don't want to play long 6i length short irons. The long irons are 5i length and the mid and short irons are 8i length. 

https://www.hirekogolf.com/golf-components/clubheads/golf-irons/pinhawk-vertex-dual-length-iron-clubhead.html

Thank you. Yes this is very good for golfers like me with slower swing speed. I actually built some Wishon/Sterlings (single length collaboration between Tom Wishon/Jacob Bowden) at multiple lengths (i.e. 5,6,7 @ one length and 8-gw @ a shorter length) a year ago. Actually liked the longer length distance gapping in those  but could not dial in shorter length club distance gapping. Probably because I used cheap shafts I already had that were not really to my likening regarding feel/weighting. Pin hawks are much more cost effective in my opinion for testing so I will most likely go that route. Oh and I like their hybrid and fairway wood models. Should be fun as long as my wife does not find out I more clubs on the way 😲 😀 .

Hireko stuff is reasonable, and priced quite well.  You can also get many/most of their components from Value Golf (I'm not affiliated, other than as a customer). 

It would seem Value Golf is where the Pinhawk clubheads originated.

Hireko has existed since 1981 per something I've seen online.  Hireko acquired Dynacraft somewhere in the 2000s, I don't remember exactly when.  Prior to that acquisition, Dynacraft were one of the Big Three component companies, along with Golfsmith and GolfWorks, and were in Ohio. 

Tom Wishon was at Dynacraft before moving to Golfsmith.  Think someone mentioned that here?

I have the Dynacraft CNC forged wedge that's currently for sale on Hireko's site.  It's rather nice, spins decently, good feel.  I'm happy with it.  Wish they had a 58*, but it's just 52/56/60 in that product.  

Built my wife an Acer driver in 14* loft, she loves it.  Her irons are Acer HT, likes them also.

Good stuff, and pretty good value

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

• Guests
Guest Delete
2 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

Hireko stuff is reasonable, and priced quite well.  You can also get many/most of their components from Value Golf (I'm not affiliated, other than as a customer). 

It would seem Value Golf is where the Pinhawk clubheads originated.

Hireko has existed since 1981 per something I've seen online.  Hireko acquired Dynacraft somewhere in the 2000s, I don't remember exactly when.  Prior to that acquisition, Dynacraft were one of the Big Three component companies, along with Golfsmith and GolfWorks, and were in Ohio. 

Tom Wishon was at Dynacraft before moving to Golfsmith.  Think someone mentioned that here?

I have the Dynacraft CNC forged wedge that's currently for sale on Hireko's site.  It's rather nice, spins decently, good feel.  I'm happy with it.  Wish they had a 58*, but it's just 52/56/60 in that product.  

Built my wife an Acer driver in 14* loft, she loves it.  Her irons are Acer HT, likes them also.

Good stuff, and pretty good value

That's great feedback! I think I am going to get some components and try building an over length set.

I'm looking at the Acer XV Pro heads because they have progressive bounce which I have come to really like. 

https://www.hirekogolf.com/golf-components/clubheads/golf-irons/acer-xv-pro-iron-clubhead.html

7 hours ago, TimoTe said:

That's great feedback! I think I am going to get some components and try building an over length set.

I'm looking at the Acer XV Pro heads because they have progressive bounce which I have come to really like. 

https://www.hirekogolf.com/golf-components/clubheads/golf-irons/acer-xv-pro-iron-clubhead.html

One of the guys on WRX built a set of XV Pros a while back, gave them a review.  He also took the shine off them, and even worked the leading edge a bit.  Ultimately decided he needed something more forgiving, but overall was impressed.

I suppose it may have been clever to put that in my first post.  LOL

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

First let me say that I am 88 years old and have been playing Hireko golf clubs, particularly their THRIVER for 8 years. It's a combination driver and fairway wood. I have used this club as my driver.It has a 13 degree face, It have spent way over $1,000 on drivers and never satisfied. Ping, Taylor Made, Callaway, Nike, etc. One day 8 years ago I saw an add from Hireko for their THRIVER. It was promoted as a driver and fairway wood combination. I bought it and it was perfect. I get great loft and distance. I can only hit a drive about 180 anymore and the Thriver gets me there. I have bought several other Hireko clubs and have been totally satisfied. I am now ordering today, shafts, grips and epoxy plus a three wood rescue club from them. They may not be fancy looking and after 8 years playing with them over 150 days each season in Alaska  the paint is scraping off the titanium club head a bit, but that doesn't effect the way it plays. Their price is very reasonable but that doesn't effect the quality. You will get more than your money's worth, in my opinion. I give them 5 stars.

I have made clubs for myself using Hireko  components. They are good components and  last as long as other components, I have bought. Just discovered Golf works and like their components as well. Don't know if one is better than the other, both are good . Enjoyed playing with them.

Tommy Armour TA -1 driver

Adams 2 hy

Adams 3 hy

Tommy Armour 4hy

Adams 5 hy

STi-2 irons 6-GW

Acer 52 & 54 wedges

Pinemeadow SS 400 putter

• 4 weeks later...

I am/was a Dynacraft Class A clubmaker and a member of the old Dynacraft Professional Clubmakers Society.  I ran a small clubmaking and repair business in the late 80's and early 90's and bought from Golfworks, Golfsmith, and Dynacraft.  Each had common components like shafts, grips, and clubmaking supplies but Golfworks had the best rework/refinishing stuff. When it came to heads Golfworks was the best. Dynacraft was next with Golfsmith last.  The original Golfworks KE4 iron heads out around 1990 were I think the first adjustable weight heads you coulg get and the ones I first shot scores in the mid 70's with. Dynacraft were clone heads but had a following.  Golfsmith were, er, well Golfsmith and we'll leave it at that.

Fast forward to now and Dynacraft is Hireko complete with Jeff Summit, a go to guru on club building and perfotmance that worked Dynacraft with Tom Wishon.  I built a set of Pinhawk single length and gave them a good run for a year using two different sets of shafts.  That experiment ended due to never being able to gap the clubs well, especially the short irons and wedges.  Four yard increments makes it hard to play a course.  Might as well play with a half set.  I switched to Dynacraft Prophet cavity backs and have not looked back.  Play like poor mans Taylor Made P790.  Strong lofts with forgiving mishits and incredible feel.  Lots of spin when needed but now that is as much the ball as the club. Note I'm 68 and using A flex but with the right shaft for your game they will play to any flex.  Maybe the new Golfworks KE4 can play like the originals but for cost these keep me in the 80 range on the scorecard.

GPS111

On 1/5/2021 at 12:05 AM, Gary Brown said:

I switched to the Hireko prophet irons. Not the muscle blade. Love them. I had them custom fitted senior flex shafts. My son is custom club maker and said that his best selling iron head.

I'm also playing the Dynacraft CB Prophet irons. Perform as well as anything, I'd say. At $9.99 a head (might be $14.99) they're a deal.

Just as an aside, I am a big fan of pinhawk stuff (particularly their one length hybrids). I have a Cobra SZ one length hybrid that I never use because I can't get the pinhawks out of my bag. They are just very solid and consistent (don't go mega left or nuclear off the clubface). I tried one of their irons and didn't love it but their fairway woods and hybrids are very good for me so far. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832