Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

on course attire

Erik-M

I have notice a few things on the course.  There are many different ways of playing this game. There are all sorts of different types of clubs. Mallet putters, bladed putters, cavity back wedges, bladed wedges, hybrid, and long irons.  I'm interested to see everyone's thoughts on clothing on the course.  I know in my neck of the woods it's not uncommon to see a guy wearing overalls. We see our fair share of jeans. I have been known to frequent t shirts and Short sleeve hoodies. I know when I go to different areas and nice courses that there are often dress codes and I respect whatever they are,  but I also find it harder to be comfortable and I play worse hoping my gut doesn't pop out of my shirt.  (It's a fat guy thing) also does anyone know of a good fat guy golf shirt that is longer? So with all that being said why do golf courses have collard short policies? Not to rile anyone up, just am wondering while I have nothing but time to wonder?

My guess is it goes back to being a “gentleman’s game”. If you look at the pics of Old Tom Morris, all the way to Bobby Jones, guys were wearing ties. Women wore dresses/skirts, or at least had their knees covered. As time went on, it got more lax, but has still tried to maintain that “gentleman’s game” dress, to a degree.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

My short time in this game I found it depends on the type of course. I belong to a private club - not stuffy - but they're ok with collarless shirts like the new Nike ones. During the summer jeans are frowned upon as well as sleeveless t shirts, etc. I think part of the rationale is that many end up in the restaurant after. And attire inside our Clubhouse is no different than going into an upscale restaurant. 

Off season, we generally wear jeans only because they're warmer. On public courses I found anything goes and I'm ok with that. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Nicer courses in my area require "proper golf attire", usually collard polo shirts with golf pants or shorts. I am ok with the polo, as long as it is comfortably large (I am a big guy). On the two courses I play the most, however, anything seems to go. As i have frequent problems with skin cancer (see the thread on hats), I have taken to getting the long sleeve 50 UPF fishing shirts at Academy. They look like polos from a distance. I get ones that don't have vivid designs on the front or back. No collar though, so no good at the country club. I am glad that none of the courses have restrictions on hats. Long sleeve moisture-wicking shirt, hat, and sunscreen are how I roll.  

ksted

• driver: Ping G410 plus
  • 3 wood: Ping G400
  • 5 wood: Ping G400
  • hybrid: Cobra F8
  • irons: Ping G400 4-gw
  • wedges: Ping G400 U 50, Cleveland RTX4 56, Zipcore 60
  • putter: Evnroll ER2
  • balls:  Srixon Q Star Tour/Titleist Tour Soft

Dress codes are part of a long tradition for golf and many other pastimes/events, that’s where they come from. Dress codes are far more lax/variable nowadays than they were generations ago. Many golf courses do have dress codes. But not all of them. Many municipal courses do not have dress codes—except, of course, in the sense that you must be dressed! (No shirt, no service.)

Dress codes vary in strictness depending on the policies of the golf course that you are playing. A good indicator of whether there is a dress code is the price of the course you plan to play. The higher the green fees, the more likely there is to be a dress code for golfers.

I don’t much care what others wear. At a minimum I wear collared polo shirts, tucked in to golf shorts/pants (no jeans or cargo shorts) - just because that’s what I grew up with and some people do care. Many people I play with dress the same. OTOH I play with people who are way more casual all the time, doesn’t bother me at all. 

If a course has a dress code you don’t agree with, don’t play there. I’m happy to comply.

If you want to play golf in gym shorts and a tank top, there is probably a golf course in your area where you can do that. Ask your friends who golf or make some calls.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

I pretty much always just wear polo shirt and golf pants/golf shorts depending on the weather.. I know a lot of the public courses I play at don't enforce the dress code which is okay by me I don't pay much mind to what others are wearing. I wouldn't play in jeans because it would be really uncomfortable for me.   

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

Depends on the course but most I've been to require at least a collared shirt. One particular course I went to wouldn't allow my friend to play with his sneakers because it was bright yellow, orange, green and red which I thought was ridiculous. He let us play this time but he said to wear proper golf shoes next time

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

4 minutes ago, Nolan220 said:

I pretty much always just wear polo shirt and golf pants/golf shorts depending on the weather.. I know a lot of the public courses I play at don't enforce the dress code which is okay by me I don't pay much mind to what others are wearing. I wouldn't play in jeans because it would be really uncomfortable for me.   

Agree with this especially on the jeans part.  I just don't find jeans all that comfortable, even casually.

WITB

Driver: Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Diamana DF 60 TX

3 Wood: Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Diamana Blueboard or Taylor Made 300 Mini 11.5º w/ Fuji Ventus TR Red

Hybrids: Callaway Super Hybrid 17º w/ Tensei Orange

Titleist 816 H1 21º w/ Diamana Blueboard or Srixon U85 w/ UST Recoil

Irons (6-43º): Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

Wedges: 48º Vokey SM6, 54º SM8, 60º Tour Issued Hand Ground Vokey

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

It all depends on the course. One by my house has very little course oversight so I've seen guys out there no shirt, no shoes and no problems (other then walking straight lines). Most other courses require a collared shirt. I personally like golf "clothes" so I enjoy wearing it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

23 hours ago, Jwhite86 said:

Agree with this especially on the jeans part.  I just don't find jeans all that comfortable, even casually.

Me either, I couldn't imagine walking a course in jeans.

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

On 5/21/2020 at 9:35 AM, Nolan220 said:

I wouldn't play in jeans because it would be really uncomfortable for me.   

On 5/21/2020 at 9:40 AM, Jwhite86 said:

The only time I’ve worn jeans is Fall or Winter playing a practice round alone. I wouldn’t wear jeans playing with others, or when it’s moderate or warm. But soft old jeans are comfortable then when it’s really brisk out.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

9 hours ago, Middler said:

The only time I’ve worn jeans is Fall or Winter playing a practice round alone. I wouldn’t wear jeans playing with others, or when it’s moderate or warm. But soft old jeans are comfortable then when it’s really brisk out.

Same. I can count on just a few fingers the times that I've golfed in jeans. Courses up here are fine with them in winter, well the munis and semi-privates anyways. I personally wouldn't be comfortable walking the course in jeans once it's over 50, heck I can barely take a 2 mile walk with my wife wearing them. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Whomever says jeans aren't that comfortable aren't wearing the right type of jeans 😃

However, I have never golfed in jeans. I always go conservative, either golf shorts or long pants and a tucked in polo. If it is colder, a golf pullover or golf jacket.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

Something something green is all that matters. Most public courses can't worry about turning a guy away because he's in a t shirt or jeans, or doesn't have full leather, color coordinated saddle shoes. I still dress the part, but I'm used to seeing all kinds. I get playing in jeans, but I've also seen guys in work/ hunting boots. That doesn't seem as comfortable.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Courses I played while getting into the game had a dress code. I'm used to it and that's how I roll. I dont have to think about it. Put on golf shorts, golf shirt, hat and I can stop and play anywhere.  Nothing worse than being asked to leave because you werent dressed properly.  I've seen it happen more than once.

I couldn't play in Jean's, just not comfy on the course.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I've played at a good portion of the best golf clubs in the world and have never had a problem wearing my Nike collarless Golf shirts.  I've been waiting for the day someone calls me out, but honestly it hasn't happened yet.  Since Tiger wears it many people are familiar with the style, so they're letting people get away with it.  

I'd be interested in finding out whether others who have worn non-Nike branded collarless golf shirts get the same treatment.

On 5/30/2020 at 1:02 AM, Jus2Good said:

I've played at a good portion of the best golf clubs in the world and have never had a problem wearing my Nike collarless Golf shirts.  I've been waiting for the day someone calls me out, but honestly it hasn't happened yet.  Since Tiger wears it many people are familiar with the style, so they're letting people get away with it.  

I'd be interested in finding out whether others who have worn non-Nike branded collarless golf shirts get the same treatment.

Since Tiger set the trend, I think all golf courses relaxed the rules a bit. But I know some still look to see if is a colarless golf shirt or a tee shirt. My course does!  The days of black and white leather golf shoes are all but gone. Replaced with sneaker types, collared golf shirts are still popular with 30 and ups, younger guys want the collarless, and pleated pants are replaced with flat front.  The styles change but the game remains the same!

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag