Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

2020 Official Member Review: Ben Hogan Icon & PTX Pro/Icon Combo Irons

@downlowkey, if you put this new set in the bag full-time I'd like a crack at those Adams MB2's lol. Congrats on another great testing opportunity!

Looking forward to what everyone has to say!!!

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

1 hour ago, Sluggo42 said:

I haven’t hit the UiHi yet obviously, but the 5 or 6 iron with the v-sole is pretty sweet. I’ve also worked on shallowing my delivery which helps a bit too. Sometimes a steep AOA comes from a little bit over the top swing. Is your typical hit a fade?

My miss is a hook; sometimes overcooked, sometimes the dreaded pull hook... so I have several issues earlier in my swing that I've been working on, initially with lessons and now with videos from Monte Scheinblum. I've been able to shallow the AOA with some level of consistency and my hips don't stall out as much as they used to, but since becoming a dad my range time has taken a hit and old habits die hard!

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

Is it just me or does anyone else feel like a kid waiting for Christmas (arrival of Hogan irons)???

Are we there yet??? (Are the irons here yet???)

😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

I am very excited to try out this combo set. I put together my own combo set, and I am excited to see how a for market combo set performs.....and compares to what I cobbled together. 

Is that the UPS TRUCK OUTSIDE?  Lol. 

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

1 hour ago, Sluggo42 said:

I haven’t hit the UiHi yet obviously, but the 5 or 6 iron with the v-sole is pretty sweet. I’ve also worked on shallowing my delivery which helps a bit too. Sometimes a steep AOA comes from a little bit over the top swing. Is your typical hit a fade?

I am very curious to hear your thoughts regarding the two sets. 

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

14 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

@downlowkey, if you put this new set in the bag full-time I'd like a crack at those Adams MB2's lol. Congrats on another great testing opportunity!

Looking forward to what everyone has to say!!!

I’m going into this review with an open mind, but the Icons will have to be pretty special to kick the MB2s out of the bag.

The Hogans look absolutely stunning and I’m very curious to see the affect V-SOLE has on trajectory control and turf interaction.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

1 hour ago, downlowkey said:

I’m going into this review with an open mind, but the Icons will have to be pretty special to kick the MB2s out of the bag.

The Hogans look absolutely stunning and I’m very curious to see the affect V-SOLE has on trajectory control and turf interaction.

Same here.  The Maltby TS1 set I built is easily one of the top performing sets I have ever owned.  What I can say is that I played the Ft. Worth's with HI irons for two seasons as a 21-24-27 in the HI irons and 31-47 in the blades.  The biggest issue I had with the blades was the sole was narrower than the width of a sheet of paper.  On the days where I was not playing well, I could not fake it.  

While the combo set is only 8-P in the Icon, I still hope that the sole has been addressed and widened slightly to offer some lower CG as well as better turf interaction.  These are being marketed to a better player who can still shoot in the 80's so I would imagine (HOPE) that the 8-P would be slightly wider.  

As far as the UiHi goes, If they improved on the Ft Worth HI iron, this will be the best long iron in the game.  The HI irons were the best long irons I have ever swung, period.  I am really excited to put these irons to the test and see how they fare.  I will be comparing these to a set of Player's Distance irons so I hope that those who are on the fence will see how they compare and contrast.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Haha Rev, yes. I think our games are pretty close, and I was playing the mizzy mp5’s/mp25 combo,  but my break started at the 5. The Hogan’s start at the 7 As you know, so really at the dart throwing range. The visual was stark between them, and I never really liked that. Being well versed now on the v-sole will also be a large topic for me. I’m also moving from steel back to graphite, as my arthritis is returning, old age is cruel to the golfer...

I have V soles in my wedges so that’s a non-factor for me - it’s that 7-8 gap that I’m most interested in. I can always tweak lofts at the top end on my own.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

4 hours ago, revkev said:

I have V soles in my wedges so that’s a non-factor for me - it’s that 7-8 gap that I’m most interested in. I can always tweak lofts at the top end on my own.

Yes, the gap at the blade to modern clubs.. I am also wondering how that will be. But, my PtxPro’s weren’t exactly longer than the old mizzy blades, so hopefully it’s seamless. But, we shall soon find out! But I’ll bet that they have that addressed prior to selling them as a “combo set” from the factory, right?

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

On 5/25/2020 at 12:57 AM, deejaid said:

Learning a new edit system during Covid so I cut together a little something.....

That's awesome!  I love the way you blended/split screen the Hogan footage along with the new irons.  

I just got my set of ICON irons and Equalizer wedges today.  Can't wait to get out this weekend for a spin around the links.

Can't wait to see the photos of these coming in 😍

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

On 5/29/2020 at 7:38 AM, downlowkey said:

I hear ya, all of a sudden I'm hitting my ap2s pure and long lol

I’m hitting my current irons really well right now also. They have Steelfiber FC115 shafts and they seem to be the perfect shaft to transition to from 120g steel shafts as it’s my first time playing graphite shafts. I’m really unsure how the Recoil 86g graphite shafts are going to work out but that was the only graphite option.

We shall see. Gonna be tough to knock the current gamers out of the bag though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

57 minutes ago, deejaid said:

I’m hitting my current irons really well right now also. They have Steelfiber FC115 shafts and they seem to be the perfect shaft to transition to from 120g steel shafts as it’s my first time playing graphite shafts. I’m really unsure how the Recoil 86g graphite shafts are going to work out but that was the only graphite option.

We shall see. Gonna be tough to knock the current gamers out of the bag though.

I would have preferred a suitable graphite option for my achey elbows but I know the available Recoils are wayyy too light and not a great profile for me.

My Adams MB2s are laced up with the mythical Matrix Program 130 6.5 - easily the smoothest loading shaft I have ever felt, stupid low torque numbers and mid/high launch.

After considerable deliberation, I ordered my Icons strapped to KBS Tour V steel. I went back and forth between Stiff and X-Stiff, but I’m not getting any younger and the KBS will probably launch a bit lower than my Matrix telephone poles.

The Stiff version of the KBS Tour V weigh in ~15 grams less than my Matrix setup. So I’m hopeful the marginally lighter weight will offer an extended window for me to effectively game them, without feeling like I’m swinging an alignment stick. Phil Mickelson also had a hand in designing the Tour V line and he has arthritic issues, so maybe they won’t beat up my old joints too bad?

It’s certainly going to be an interesting review and possibly a little painful. Fingers crossed it is turns out to be a “hurt so good” situation.

Maxfli___'23 Tour X

I would have preferred a suitable graphite option for my achey elbows but I know the available Recoils are wayyy too light and not a great profile for me.
My Adams MB2s are laced up with the mythical Matrix Program 130 6.5 - easily the smoothest loading shaft I have ever felt, stupid low torque numbers and mid/high launch.
After considerable deliberation, I ordered my Icons strapped to KBS Tour V steel. I went back and forth between Stiff and X-Stiff, but I’m not getting any younger and the KBS will probably launch a bit lower than my Matrix telephone poles.
The Stiff version of the KBS Tour V weigh in ~15 grams less than my Matrix setup. So I’m hopeful the marginally lighter weight will offer an extended window for me to effectively game them, without feeling like I’m swinging an alignment stick. Phil Mickelson also had a hand in designing the Tour V line and he has arthritic issues, so maybe they won’t beat up my old joints too bad?
It’s certainly going to be an interesting review and possibly a little painful. Fingers crossed it is turns out to be a “hurt so good” situation.

Yeah, the left elbow, forearm pain has really been minimized with the Steelfiber shafts. I think the KBS steel shafts would have been a better fit performance wise but after playing these Steelfibers I don’t think I want to go back to a steel shaft.

I figured since this is a review perhaps my experience going from stiff flex ~120g steel shafts to a lightweight graphite, whether positive or negative, will perhaps help another Spy that is making their first foray into graphite shafts after 30+ years of playing steel.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

On 5/30/2020 at 3:24 PM, Erik-M said:

I'm interested in the shaft option, I play rifle 7.0 in my ap2s and I'm interested to see the stiffness in the kbs v-x stiff? Anyone know if they are comparable?

Somehow I missed this. 

The PX as it is has a far more stout profile than the V-X. Now factor in that it’s a 7.0 and you may find it a difficult transition. What I can say is that they’ll be different. 

I went with the Tour V as well but I am contemplating yanking then and putting in Modus 120’s in the set. I’ll have to give it a full ride with the factory setup but if they are as good as they should be, elective surgery may be sooner than later. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

46 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Somehow I missed this. 

The PX as it is has a far more stout profile than the V-X. Now factor in that it’s a 7.0 and you may find it a difficult transition. What I can say is that they’ll be different. 

I went with the Tour V as well but I am contemplating yanking then and putting in Modus 120’s in the set. I’ll have to give it a full ride with the factory setup but if they are as good as they should be, elective surgery may be sooner than later. 

I hear ya, I love the rifle 7.0 might have to think hard, but I'm gonna try them out first to see what I'm getting into, give em a chance ya know!

1 hour ago, Erik-M said:

I hear ya, I love the rifle 7.0 might have to think hard, but I'm gonna try them out first to see what I'm getting into, give em a chance ya know!

That’s exactly what I’m thinking. It’s like telling a chef “hey, your specials sounds good and all but can you leave this, this and that out and add ketchup, K thanks!” 😉

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

So it sounds like some of you guys have placed your order already?  Did you talk to anyone for a fitting, go to a fitting, or go off your own ideas?  

Any idea when you'll get them in if you have ordered so you can post pictures and make us all drool?

Looking forward to seeing if you guys have what it takes to play those beautiful blades!

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Caught up on this thread and this is going to be a good one. They are gorgeous.

Will love to hear your feedback on the v-soles. My PTMs have similar soles and I absolutely love them.

Also can't wait to hear comparison to TS-1s from @bens197

Enjoy the review, all!

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

33 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

So it sounds like some of you guys have placed your order already?  Did you talk to anyone for a fitting, go to a fitting, or go off your own ideas?  

Any idea when you'll get them in if you have ordered so you can post pictures and make us all drool?

Looking forward to seeing if you guys have what it takes to play those beautiful blades!

Orders are in and in process. Personally, I used my current specs and built them off of what I’m familiar with. I’m a vanilla TourV with a stiff at +1/2 and std lie. Hopefully within the next two weeks depending on how they come together. 

28 minutes ago, edingc said:

Caught up on this thread and this is going to be a good one. They are gorgeous.

Will love to hear your feedback on the v-soles. My PTMs have similar soles and I absolutely love them.

Also can't wait to hear comparison to TS-1s from @bens197

Enjoy the review, all!

I can’t either.  I’m guessing the PTx Pro will be the most fair comparison. 

Up until this year, I played Ft Worth’s for two years and while the good shots were AOK, they were just outside the limit for my skill. I’m hoping the Icon has a wider sole than the predecessor. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

Didn’t get a new fitting for these. I went with my current iron specs and since there was only one graphite shaft option it wasn’t too difficult of a choice.

I literally just began playing graphite shafts in my irons in the last month. I switched to non-tapered jumbo arthritic grips last year for my wrist pain and they have really helped so I had been contemplating graphite shafts for the less shock to the elbow/forearm area as well and finally made the switch.

I’m excited about the Hogan’s for sure as I love a classic forged iron, but it’s going to be tough to knock my current irons out of the bag. I hope the Hogan’s can do it as they are a drop dead sexy set of irons that will look great in the bag with my persimmon woods. But they can’t be just a pretty face, they gotta perform too.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

10 hours ago, B.Boston said:

Yeah order has been placed, I also went off my current playing specs. I never have been fit in the past, but I'm pretty good at adapting to the clubs I choose to buy second hand.  I did go a degree flat because my tendancy is too dig the heel in the ground and miss left when I do.  Trial and error on all my club situations.  I also live at least 2 hours from any place that would do a fitting ☹ 

I’m neither a social media maven nor a video editor, but I’m trying to grind them both out of the dirt. Because it’s what MyGolfSpy and Mr. Hogan deserve.

ICON Black review coming soon...

708E0DF6-BAFD-434C-B677-2493B8BE1480.jpeg.f6167bc43a548bfe75cd6dd01efae1be.jpeg
*note: I have yet to take possession of this gorgeous forged goodness 😉

Maxfli___'23 Tour X

I’m neither a social media maven nor a video editor, but I’m trying to grind them both out of the dirt. Because it’s what MyGolfSpy and Mr. Hogan deserve.
ICON Black review coming soon...

Nicely done! Looking forward to your review!

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

This week could be the week. I’m not into hype but I really am excited to get going 😊

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

Yeah order has been placed, I also went off my current playing specs. I never have been fit in the past, but I'm pretty good at adapting to the clubs I choose to buy second hand.  I did go a degree flat because my tendancy is too dig the heel in the ground and miss left when I do.  Trial and error on all my club situations.  I also live at least 2 hours from any place that would do a fitting  

Wise move, if your tendency is to pull it left it is often an indicator that you need a flatter lie.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD