TESTERS WANTED! ×

2020 Official Member Review: Ben Hogan Icon & PTX Pro/Icon Combo Irons

This is going to be my only criticism thus far.  I am not convinced that DTC should or could be limited in shaft offerings as a matter of cost.  These irons are SO GOOD that it's worth asking why limit themselves to four shafts including just one graphite offering. 

I agree completely. Under normal circumstances it usually takes them two weeks to fulfill an order. Well, way can’t they have accounts with multiple shaft makers? I mean Hogan doesn’t even need to keep the stock on hand. An order comes in requesting a shaft that is not in stock, Hogan orders the shaft direct from the manufacturer, and they have it within a week with still time to build the clubs in the two week window.

The fact that we both are contemplating swapping out shafts out of a group of 6 testers says to me that the shaft offerings are too limited.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

2 minutes ago, deejaid said:

I agree completely. Under normal circumstances it usually takes them two weeks to fulfill an order. Well, way can’t they have accounts with multiple shaft makers? I mean Hogan doesn’t even need to keep the stock on hand. An order comes in requesting a shaft that is not in stock, Hogan orders the shaft direct from the manufacturer, and they have it within a week with still time to build the clubs in the two week window.

The fact that we both are contemplating swapping out shafts out of a group of 6 testers says to me that the shaft offerings are too limited.

As they expand, it’s inevitable that they’ll have to look at how their offerings reflect the market they’re trying to attract. Twenty years ago I would have said four iron shafts as a stock option would be cutting edge. Today, not so much.

I honestly believe they’re at a tipping point in their business. If they choose to offer more products and expand on a 2-3 year product cycle, they’ll inevitably have to raise their prices and stray away from the luxury of being a low cost DTC product.  It’s just too difficult to maintain a small operation, meet the consumer demands and maintain a profit margin without expanding. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

11 hours ago, deejaid said:

. The variable to me seems to be the Recoil graphite shaft. I mentioned before the testing started that I was concerned about going from a 127g shaft to an 87g shaft with a more active tip section. I’m thinking a shaft swap might be in order.

I guess since I just experienced the same thing, only backwards, I would suggest that rather than banging your head against the wall again and again while expecting it to stop hurting, that perhaps you place a pillow on the wall. That should ease the pain.

youve shaven 40g off your shaft weight, so the centrifugal weight that pulls your club against your muscle memory is way different with the lighter club, thus all the toe hits. My fist experience was opposite, going from 82g to 115g, and I was shanking Literally every shot. The extra weight caused the bottom of the swing to be about 1” further away from me. So I adjust to the difference by setting up with the ball an inch away from the sweet spot of the face ad started to zing them.

i would suggest that you try lining up on the hosel and taking some swings, and see if that doesn’t result in beginning to make solid contact. As more and more shots are hit, you will slowly creep out to your normal setup spot as your body becomes accustomed to the weight difference. Opposite of what I did in order to make contact.

now is this how it should work? It depends on why you chose these shafts in the first place. You tried hitting a different club with a 115 shaft at cobra days and we’re happy with that. Makes sense right? Close to same weight as your current gamers, with all the nice new tech inside and you crush it. Of course! What’s different? Nothing. I would bet that had you ordered the Hogan’s with the VTours you’re be crushing them too. But you didn’t. You chose the 40g lighter recoils, to try to alleviate your elbow pain. But you now talk about pulling the shafts for some heavier steel, which you could have had from the start. Seems counter productive to me. Yes, new heavier shafts will instantly fix “the immediate problem”, but will not fix the real reason you chooses the Recoils. To the point of wouldn’t it be nice if Hogan offered more choices of shafts? Sure it would. And to swap in some custom shafts And present a review of that scenario would be awesome too, as it’s an option that would be really cool to hear about as well.

so I see you having a real conundrum here. Is your review of the combo set about the clubs, or is it about the shafts, or is it elbow pain? And the struggle is real man, it’s real!! Haha 

best of luck with whichever direction you choose to pursue. And your video work is so good....

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I so I see you having a real conundrum here. Is your review of the combo set about the clubs, or is it about the shafts, or is it elbow pain? And the struggle is real man, it’s real!! Haha 

Well, as a storyteller I wanted to try to make the review interesting. Truth be told, most of the reviews here on MGS aren’t very interesting and don’t connect with me. Most guys get a free set of clubs custom to their specs and rave about how good the clubs are without much or any negatives. That’s not to say that the reviewers do a bad job. I think the reviewers do a great job most of the time. But there needs to be some conflict in the review. The second act of the story needs to have some struggle for the final act to resolve with a good ending.

I could have got the Tour V shafts right away and been happy, but would that have helped the guy out there who like me is on the fence about whether or not they should switch to graphite for the first time? Not at all. Hopefully that guy will see the pluses and potential minuses of switching to a much lighter graphite shaft in my review without making a $800 purchase they later regret.

I view these reviews not as a free set of clubs built to my specs for everyone to read how much I love them, but as a way to take some chances at no cost and note both the good and bad so that other MGS Spies can be better informed when making their purchase.

I’ll try your idea of addressing the ball more towards the hosel, maybe that will work. But to me that seems to be a bandaid to use a shaft that doesn’t work instead of fixing the problem with a reshaft.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

On 7/17/2020 at 3:34 PM, Sluggo42 said:

Here’s another view of a difference between 8 irons, in the PtxPro set -vs- the Icon, in the combo set. The PtxPro’s are in my other set... 

27CBCCC5-461C-44A0-8687-3DA3AA9941C5.jpeg.becbebacfc7dce97d5abbff7cabada7d.jpeg

may I add - that the Icons are on the Recoils, and the old PtxPro’s are on the KBS V-tour steel shafts. To say the Icon 8 on the Recoil feeling is like a warm nugget of caramel, that just melts between your teeth, just still doesn’t quite capture the gooey softness... But a puppy does!

860E3189-2784-4D64-A782-CA2E64A01E2E.jpeg.588b6be4cfba4c7de01a094dd6a552eb.jpeg

yet the good old PtxPro 8 iron is also a very satisfying strike- just different is all.

Which 8-iron did you hit better? The PTx-Pro or ICON?

I'm considering a new combo set, too. I'm a 13.4, but don't really have trouble finding the sweet spot with short irons.

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Blade #2
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

2 hours ago, deejaid said:

Well, as a storyteller I wanted to try to make the review interesting. Truth be told, most of the reviews here on MGS aren’t very interesting and don’t connect with me. Most guys get a free set of clubs custom to their specs and rave about how good the clubs are without much or any negatives. That’s not to say that the reviewers do a bad job. I think the reviewers do a great job most of the time. But there needs to be some conflict in the review. The second act of the story needs to have some struggle for the final act to resolve with a good ending.

I could have got the Tour V shafts right away and been happy, but would that have helped the guy out there who like me is on the fence about whether or not they should switch to graphite for the first time? Not at all. Hopefully that guy will see the pluses and potential minuses of switching to a much lighter graphite shaft in my review without making a $800 purchase they later regret.

I view these reviews not as a free set of clubs built to my specs for everyone to read how much I love them, but as a way to take some chances at no cost and note both the good and bad so that other MGS Spies can be better informed when making their purchase.

I’ll try your idea of addressing the ball more towards the hosel, maybe that will work. But to me that seems to be a bandaid to use a shaft that doesn’t work instead of fixing the problem with a reshaft.

agreed Deejaid, I'm with ya 100%. I guess I was just thinking aloud about your situation. Not a knock intended by any means. Your struggle with the light graphites just struck a note with me in the opposite direction is all,

Cheers!

35 minutes ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

Which 8-iron did you hit better? The PTx-Pro or ICON?

I'm considering a new combo set, too. I'm a 13.4, but don't really have trouble finding the sweet spot with short irons.

well good question. I can't say that I hit either one BETTER than the other, and they're virtually identical in length. But I can easily say the Icon FELT better, to ME. But Ive played blades for most of my life. If you've never played blades before they might seem a bit small. But, most wedges are sort of blades, and if you hit those well, you'll probably be fine. AS you say you hit the short irons well so it could be a perfect set for you as the longer irons, PTX Pro's are forgiving and still feel sweet.

I agree with your thoughts on trying something different especially if you know how/ have access to swap shafts. I think its important to get specs that are in the ballpark or appropriate and have a reason for testing that scenario.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

Played my second round yesterday.   81. 8 greens in regulation. One for nine on up and downs. Horrible short game day. The scoring irons in this set 8-PW are fantastic. I love them. They feel pure and hit the ball a consistent distance. I have had at least one tap in a round with them so far. I am really struggling with the 5 iron. I seem to hit a push fade with it. The hybrid portion of the set is the anti left hybrid unicorn that I am always looking to find. More play today. I will update. 

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

On 7/18/2020 at 11:18 AM, bens197 said:

First range day today and I was really pleased.  Anyone who is familiar with the Nippon Modus thread knew that I really really really loved that shaft and how well it has worked for me this season.  Moving back to the KBS Tour-V was an adjustment and honestly, I may end up putting these KBS Tours in an older set of i5's and putting Nippons in my Hogans.  So as you can assume, that would mean I really like these heads.

Here are my takeaways from today.

The PTx head is a forgiving and kind head.  This is exactly the kind of club that I need for my game when I have my meh type of swings.  The ball doesn't balloon and maintains a nice penetrating flight.  Feel is good and as others have posted, the sound is a solid thwack.  

Speaking of balloon, the UiHi...well guess what, it doesn't.  The predecessor to this club the Ft. Worth HI was the EASIEST long iron to play that I have ever swung.  It went up and flew straight but for some golfers, almost too high.  Take the UiHi, add that same easiness to get the ball airborne but add a slightly lower ball flight.  If you were in the market for a head that didn't launch your ball into the stratosphere, this is something worth looking at.  Hogan just added an 18* and 26* to their line to complement the 22*...

More to come...

I had the Nippon Modus 105 stiffs installed in my Taylormade M1 irons and I absolutely love them. They’re just incredibly smooth and feel great ... my game has improved significantly because of them. 

And at the moment, it’s my only compliant about the Ben Hogan site not having the Nippon Modus option. Additionally, they’re one of the few DTC golf companies that won’t sell the heads only. 😕 

Doesn’t surprise me that you’re enjoying the Hogans! 🙌🏼 

Driver: :ping-small: G410 SFT 10.5*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19* & 21*

Irons: image.png.ec9b0a77ef708074b5547162186659f4.png  Forged Tec One Length (5i-GW)

Wedges: image.png.3c33ed301e51199de9e62f474f52b6e0.png T22 55* & 59*

Putter: image.png.f53011d6b358811f2c4cdcc166aeeffa.png  002 Mid-Mallet

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft LS & :Snell: Prime-X

image.png

19 minutes ago, mikeanthony said:

I had the Nippon Modus 105 stiffs installed in my Taylormade M1 irons and I absolutely love them. They’re just incredibly smooth and feel great ... my game has improved significantly because of them. 

And at the moment, it’s my only compliant about the Ben Hogan site not having the Nippon Modus option. Additionally, they’re one of the few DTC golf companies that won’t sell the heads only. 😕 

Doesn’t surprise me that you’re enjoying the Hogans! 🙌🏼 

Modus shafts are the big winner for me this season.  I've said it 100 times and I will leave it at that.  I am glad you're enjoying as well!

Back to Hogans...I really am enjoying these clubs.  I think its absolutely fair to offer these criticisms of what they can do to improve not just as a club and its performance but strategically to improve or augment their business.  This is why I really have a tremendous amount of respect for Ben Hogan golf right now.  Not only are they a continued AND consistent contributor to member testing, they're readily accessible via email and phone.  There are other DTC companies that have earned a LOT of mileage out of MGS posts and haven't been nearly as willing to participate in testing; respect for Hogan.

I don't expect them to receive and implement each criticism but their willingness to seek feedback shows me that they are a mature and adaptable company who truly is in it for the long haul.  

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

9 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Modus shafts are the big winner for me this season.  I've said it 100 times and I will leave it at that.  I am glad you're enjoying as well!

Back to Hogans...I really am enjoying these clubs.  I think its absolutely fair to offer these criticisms of what they can do to improve not just as a club and its performance but strategically to improve or augment their business.  This is why I really have a tremendous amount of respect for Ben Hogan golf right now.  Not only are they a continued AND consistent contributor to member testing, they're readily accessible via email and phone.  There are other DTC companies that have earned a LOT of mileage out of MGS posts and haven't been nearly as willing to participate in testing; respect for Hogan.

I don't expect them to receive and implement each criticism but their willingness to seek feedback shows me that they are a mature and adaptable company who truly is in it for the long haul.  

Well said.

Both we as a consumer and the game of golf, are all the more better off by having a company like Ben Hogan in the mix. 

I’ll also add, that I don’t carry any Hogans within my set at the moment ... but oh my goodness is their carry bag gorgeous! 🤩 

Driver: :ping-small: G410 SFT 10.5*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19* & 21*

Irons: image.png.ec9b0a77ef708074b5547162186659f4.png  Forged Tec One Length (5i-GW)

Wedges: image.png.3c33ed301e51199de9e62f474f52b6e0.png T22 55* & 59*

Putter: image.png.f53011d6b358811f2c4cdcc166aeeffa.png  002 Mid-Mallet

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft LS & :Snell: Prime-X

image.png

21 hours ago, deejaid said:

@deejaid - Been so busy over on #CCC4 that I missed your very awesome video work. Looking great! 

Enjoying this thread a lot now that I've caught up on it again. I agree, it's very telling that several of you have already made changes or are thinking of changes to your setup. One of the things I had noticed about Hogan versus say, Sub70, is that they truly are very limited in available options. I know Hogans are available through Club Champion now, which does greatly add to those shaft and grip options, but working with Club Champion will considerably drive up the cost beyond most major OEMs. Defeats the purpose of DTC, in my mind.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

On 7/20/2020 at 9:16 AM, edingc said:

@deejaid - Been so busy over on #CCC4 that I missed your very awesome video work. Looking great! 

Enjoying this thread a lot now that I've caught up on it again. I agree, it's very telling that several of you have already made changes or are thinking of changes to your setup. One of the things I had noticed about Hogan versus say, Sub70, is that they truly are very limited in available options. I know Hogans are available through Club Champion now, which does greatly add to those shaft and grip options, but working with Club Champion will considerably drive up the cost beyond most major OEMs. Defeats the purpose of DTC, in my mind.

I've asked Hogan about purchasing club heads only - no luck.

Interesting that Hogan is now available at Club Champion, a purveyor of super-premium after market shafts. I've seen a guy get fitted there. Paralysis thru over-analysis and the fitter never did a comparison with his existing set-up. Always talked about incremental gains with their Gucci shaft offerings. Really a turn-off for me.

3 hours ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

I've asked Hogan about purchasing club heads only - no luck.

Interesting that Hogan is now available at Club Champion, a purveyor of super-premium after market shafts. I've seen a guy get fitted there. Paralysis thru over-analysis and the fitter never did a comparison with his existing set-up. Always talked about incremental gains with their Gucci shaft offerings. Really a turn-off for me.

haha Gucci shafts...

image.jpeg.c407f6a1d3c313a36e8c736d010237d2.jpeg

new car right, don’t want anyone to see it...

keep it safe! A secret! Obviously something really special! Must cost a million!

A1DD5376-130C-45CF-8138-1118B9A11016.jpeg.69ec5e056b889ea3839fda01d25d0a60.jpeg

Played a practice round today, no score keeping, playing 3-4 balls at a time, in order to really dig into these clubs on the Recoil f4's. Ive got a lot of things going on with my swing. Ive kind of adopted the Rahm//Finau type of swing. Obviously don't have that type of distance but its basically a shorter backswing, and a strong finish. I'm also about 1.5 months into a new exercise swimming program, which has shaved 10 lbs off so far as well,  to go along with the Recoil f4 graphite shafts. Sooooo, long story short, Im hitting them a little further, but I can't specifically put a finger on exactly why.

That said, todays practice round was really special. I hit some crazy good shots that felt really, really good. The PtxPro's, when hit on the button, have a superbly crisp feel. Solid, firm, and tasty. Very workable too, and good spin. But I already knew this as I'm coming off a set of PtxPro's with the KBS V Tours. But the Recoils....ahhh, the recoils... yum, yum.

As you've heard, the stock shafts aren't for everyone, and its quite true that Hogan offers a very small selection of shafts vs most everyone else, but thats probably one of the cost cutting reasons these clubs are so affordable. Im apparently one of the lucky ones, as the Recoils seem to be a match made in heaven for me. About 3 or 4 sets ago I had some p790's with the Recoil f3's (regular flex), and I just couldn't ever get those to work for me. But the f4's (stiff) are the doggies dinner on the Hogans.

And finally, the Icons. the 8,9, and PW. I was a Mizzy blade guy forever so I know how to churn the butter. The Icons churn. On the Recoils, they churn in overdrive.

Im actually glad Im in the Combo group vs the Straight up Icon group, because where they change from blade to hollow-tech, to UiHi utility is brilliant. I just don't have the horsepower to play a full set of blades anymore at the tender young age of 64, so getting the help for the longer shots is great. And then keeping the knives for the short game is brilliant...

4 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

haha Gucci shafts...

Hogan's customer service reps say their stock shafts "fit 90% of golfers".

But, why'd they partner with Club Champion if that's true?

On 7/20/2020 at 7:55 AM, bens197 said:

There are other DTC companies that have earned a LOT of mileage out of MGS posts and haven't been nearly as willing to participate in testing; respect for Hogan.

Very surprising really.  One would think it to be the closest thing to free advertising there is.  I see Sub70 is in the mix with the 699 testing... hopefully that will motivate some others to follow suit.  Ultimately, getting your product in front of a broad spectrum of players (or even a target group, i.e. XXIO) is key to sales.  I know personally it was stumbling on MGS's product tests that brought me to the forum... and ultimately wrestled those PE2's from my quiver.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I played a tournament last weekend, and the clubs were money! I was hitting greens like crazy, if only I could've got off the tee, Or made a putt! Missed five makeable birdie putts on first day. Same story on day 2☹️ had to go irons off the tee day 2. Only hit a couple drivers and lost a ball on 1, set up on the right side of the tee box and aimed left side of the fairway, and hit it in the trees on the right. was fighting a big cut/ slice with my driver but my irons kept me in it. 

6 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Very surprising really.  One would think it to be the closest thing to free advertising there is.  I see Sub70 is in the mix with the 699 testing... hopefully that will motivate some others to follow suit.  Ultimately, getting your product in front of a broad spectrum of players (or even a target group, i.e. XXIO) is key to sales.  I know personally it was stumbling on MGS's product tests that brought me to the forum... and ultimately wrestled those PE2's from my quiver.

Hogan has offered at least two member testing opportunities per season since I’ve been a member here.  That’s a big commitment to creating a groundswell of support among avid golfers.  Those avid golfers then share their experience with their friends, then it spreads. 

I’ll refrain from further adulation and return to my review.  

Currently at work trying to fall asleep but the fire gods have other plans. 3 calls after 11:30 is not a good sign for a fun night...

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

Golf WRX's "Wedge Guy"and founder of Ben Hogan's relaunch in 2014, Terry Koehler, makes a strong case for combo sets with short iron blades. The goal should be proper trajectory and spin while limiting ballooned approach shots. He contends our misses with short irons are higher on the face.

http://www.golfwrx.com/622586/the-wedge-guy-maybe-its-time-to-rethink-your-short-irons/

Edited by J.B. TexasEx

Surveillance Report: Choose Your Own Trajectory

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

Shot a 2 over today, but from the white tees.

Trying not to gush about these clubs but its hard not to. Really ...

The 4UiHi is a treat. really...

The Icons are sick, lots of examples today, really....

The recoils are Perfect. really...

I hit a couple really short flops today to a foot or two with the equalizer 60. They land soooo soft, its like dropping a bean bag. Its taken me a little while to warm up to the Equalizers, but the more I play them, the more I like em... Really!

So anyways, the Combo set is OK... Really

6 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

Shot a 2 over today, but from the white tees.

Trying not to gush about these clubs but its hard not to. Really ...

The 4UiHi is a treat. really...

The Icons are sick, lots of examples today, really....

The recoils are Perfect. really...

I hit a couple really short flops today to a foot or two with the equalizer 60. They land soooo soft, its like dropping a bean bag. Its taken me a little while to warm up to the Equalizers, but the more I play them, the more I like em... Really!

It really is really OK.  This V Sole design with a wider sole width overall has made turf interaction A-O-K.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

39 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

Its taken me a little while to warm up to the Equalizers, but the more I play them, the more I like em... Really!

Are you getting your desired trajectory and spin with your Equalizers on full shots, Sluggo?

2 hours ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

Are you getting your desired trajectory and spin with your Equalizers on full shots, Sluggo?

Yea JB, I am. These have specific weighting in their build to give you a better control, per loft. They only come in one grind tho, but it seems to be a pretty smooth overall club. my main problem at first was getting used to the V-sole, as I was skulling some shots. but that went away pretty quickly. The spin is excellent, but not over the top. So your shots hold, but won't spin back off the green, but obviously a lot of all this depends on how you strike the ball.

So yesterday I stopped at the Pro Shop and told my pro about the Hogan’s and the toe misses I’m having with them. I explained to him that they are same lie and length as my current irons which I have no problem finding the middle of, but the Hogan’s shafts are graphite Recoil 87g shafts while my current irons are 125g Precision Rifle steel. He agreed that the weight and deflection difference of the two shafts were causing the problem.

Now as someone that is just playing graphite for the first time one of the few things I know about graphite is that most times graphite shafts come 1/2” longer from the factory to keep the swingweight similar to steel shafted clubs of the same model. What I didn’t realize is that added length might also help with toe droop. As my Pro and I were talking, he suggested adding 1/2” extensions to the clubs. The added length should move the strikes to the center of the face. If this is the case, then not only does the added length of graphite add to the swingweight, it also affects to toe droop which can be a remedy to the higher torque and deflection of the tip section of the graphite shafts.

Looking at the specs of the irons on the Ben Hogan website there is no difference in lengths between graphite and steel shafted clubs. While that creates a swingweight difference of 2 points according to their graph between the two, the lack of longer shaft in the graphite doesn’t allow for the correction of toe droop.

So, graphite extensions are en route and hopefully will be the answer to finding the center of the face.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

3 hours ago, deejaid said:

So yesterday I stopped at the Pro Shop and told my pro about the Hogan’s and the toe misses I’m having with them. I explained to him that they are same lie and length as my current irons which I have no problem finding the middle of, but the Hogan’s shafts are graphite Recoil 87g shafts while my current irons are 125g Precision Rifle steel. He agreed that the weight and deflection difference of the two shafts were causing the problem.

Now as someone that is just playing graphite for the first time one of the few things I know about graphite is that most times graphite shafts come 1/2” longer from the factory to keep the swingweight similar to steel shafted clubs of the same model. What I didn’t realize is that added length might also help with toe droop. As my Pro and I were talking, he suggested adding 1/2” extensions to the clubs. The added length should move the strikes to the center of the face. If this is the case, then not only does the added length of graphite add to the swingweight, it also affects to toe droop which can be a remedy to the higher torque and deflection of the tip section of the graphite shafts.

Looking at the specs of the irons on the Ben Hogan website there is no difference in lengths between graphite and steel shafted clubs. While that creates a swingweight difference of 2 points according to their graph between the two, the lack of longer shaft in the graphite doesn’t allow for the correction of toe droop.

So, graphite extensions are en route and hopefully will be the answer to finding the center of the face.

I hope this is the fix good luck!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

6 hours ago, deejaid said:

well there is two things I didn't know.. Steel shafts from Hogan are +1/2", and toe droop. My old PtxPros were 1/2" long, but I thought it was a special order by the original buyer..

And "toe Droop" is actually a phrase Ive never heard before, Ill definitely read up on that one.

So now with a 1/2" extension, your shafts will now be 1" longer overall?