TESTERS WANTED! ×

2020 Official Member Review: Ben Hogan Icon & PTX Pro/Icon Combo Irons

1 hour ago, deejaid said:

I just wanted to let everyone know my situation with the Hogan’s. Turns out a reshaft is in order and the Ben Hogan Co. has offered to switch them out for me.

I got on the TrackMan yesterday at the Titleist demo day and was able to dial in my proper shafts which to my surprise are Project X 6.0 which are a pretty stout shaft. Most say it is slightly below an X-stiff.

Earlier in the week I hit a combination of the Cobra Forged Tec irons with a variety of KBS shafts and the Titleist 620 CB with Project X LZ and Dynamic Golds. I figure the Forged Tec would approximate the PTx Pro and the Titleist 620 CB would the Icon irons.

The KBS shafts all seem to have a low spin, distance characteristic to them. While some could work, none felt optimal for the trajectory I like. The Project X LZ felt great and had the height and spin I like, but that isn’t a shaft offering of Hogan.

That left me with the good old fashioned Dynamic Gold X100. Great height, great spin. Never even gave that shaft a thought but it flat out flew how I want it.

So it looks like X100’s are going in the Hogan’s. A classic shaft for a classic club brand. That sounds right to me.

Oh, and I’m weak. After seeing the TrackMan numbers of a 167 carry of the Titleist 620 CB 7-iron and 215 carry with the 3, I put it an order. emoji16.png

It’s game on Hogan vs Titleist!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

F1EE38DC-E807-4D52-8758-40EA36FBF6E9.jpeg

I mean...there's customer service and there's above and beyond.  Pretty amazing stuff.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Surveillance Report: Marshmallow Tech

Looks like you need a camera man and co-tester. ️ me.

2013 Callaway X-Forged Raw/Ozik Program 130 stiff shafts
M6 9* driver with Tour AD BB6s
Titleist TS2 15*/stock EvenFlow stiff shaft
Scratch 8620 wedges/KBS HiRev shafts
Swag Savage Too Proto 34” putter

13 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

I have rewatched this swing plenty and I love how you drop the club into the slot on your downswing. 🤘🏼

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Am I the only one have challenges keeping up with all the product testing?  Wow!  Our MGS Staff and the OEM's are KILLING IT!! 👏

Drink from Firehose Blank Template - Imgflip

On 5/30/2020 at 4:40 PM, deejaid said:

I figured since this is a review perhaps my experience going from stiff flex ~120g steel shafts to a lightweight graphite, whether positive or negative, will perhaps help another Spy that is making their first foray into graphite shafts after 30+ years of playing steel.

On behalf of those of us on the fence about making this switch, thank you!  Honestly, I would be hard pressed to commit to such a change on a brand new set of irons. I tried composite shafts during my iron fitting but the numbers were not as good.  In fairness, the fitter had a very limited inventory to choose from. In another thread specific to this discussion, @chisagwas pretty sure there are now enough mfg's and options to fit most players - and produce equivalent performance.  This decision will be at the forefront of any future irons for me. Your comment that your elbow pain has reduced playing these peaks my interest as I'm now wearing a compression band on my left forearm to keep it in check.

To all the testers, awesome job so far - really great status/reviews on the irons!  I'm going out on a limb here and guessing the final scores will be high... but what will really be interesting is how many decide to "play it or trade it?"

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

6 hours ago, bens197 said:

I have rewatched this swing plenty and I love how you drop the club into the slot on your downswing. 🤘🏼

Thank you mate, that’s very kind of you to say., it’s funny because when I see my self swing, I’m always shocked at how fat I’ve gotten in my older age, and I’ve even just lost about 15 lbs!

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Am I the only one have challenges keeping up with all the product testing?  Wow!  Our MGS Staff and the OEM's are KILLING IT!! 👏

Drink from Firehose Blank Template - Imgflip

On behalf of those of us on the fence about making this switch, thank you!  Honestly, I would be hard pressed to commit to such a change on a brand new set of irons. I tried composite shafts during my iron fitting but the numbers were not as good.  In fairness, the fitter had a very limited inventory to choose from. In another thread specific to this discussion, @chisagwas pretty sure there are now enough mfg's and options to fit most players - and produce equivalent performance.  This decision will be at the forefront of any future irons for me. Your comment that your elbow pain has reduced playing these peaks my interest as I'm now wearing a compression band on my left forearm to keep it in check.

To all the testers, awesome job so far - really great status/reviews on the irons!  I'm going out on a limb here and guessing the final scores will be high... but what will really be interesting is how many decide to "play it or trade it?"

“Elbow pain” is reduced for sure. Even the pain in my left hand is coming down. 

Am I the only one have challenges keeping up with all the product testing?  Wow!  Our MGS Staff and the OEM's are KILLING IT!! 
2vd51k.jpg

On behalf of those of us on the fence about making this switch, thank you!  Honestly, I would be hard pressed to commit to such a change on a brand new set of irons. I tried composite shafts during my iron fitting but the numbers were not as good.  In fairness, the fitter had a very limited inventory to choose from. In another thread specific to this discussion, [mention=291]chisag[/mention]was pretty sure there are now enough mfg's and options to fit most players - and produce equivalent performance.  This decision will be at the forefront of any future irons for me. Your comment that your elbow pain has reduced playing these peaks my interest as I'm now wearing a compression band on my left forearm to keep it in check.

Well after my experience with the switch from a heavyweight steel shaft to a lightweight graphite I’d advise against it without a fitting. Even going from a 120+ steel to a 90+ steel is too big of a change, at least for me.

I spent the last week testing shafts at my club that were similar to the Hogan offerings using Cobra Forged Tec and Titleist 620 CB heads. The KBS Tour 90 stiff steel shaft was too light and I kept hitting it thin. When I switched to the KBS $-Taper 120 (closest thing my club had to the KBS Tour-V that Hogan offers) I was hitting it center but I didn’t care for the lower ball flight. Finally, I tried the good ole Dynamic a Gold S300 and X100 and the X100 was perfect. Higher ball flight and more spin than the KBS offerings, at least for me, and the heavy weight got my tempo back.

I think with a Direct-To-Consumer model it is probably more important to stick with a similar weight shaft than focusing strictly on flex.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

3 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

“Elbow pain” is reduced for sure. Even the pain in my left hand is coming down. 

Must have missed it in your gush-fest "they've arrived" post 😁... but you opted for composite shafts too?  Have you played (or currently playing) composite?  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

5 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Must have missed it in your gush-fest "they've arrived" post 😁... but you opted for composite shafts too?  Have you played (or currently playing) composite?  

Yes, I got the Recoil f4 (Stiff) graphite @ 86g coming from the kbs vtour 110 Stiff. A 24g difference. Unlike Deejaid, these shafts are a very good weight for me. But that could just be luck. I have played graphite’s before with different weights, so it wasn’t a total surprise to me. I played some Recoil f3’s at 82g on some TMp790’s, but the reg flex gave me fits.

4UiHi shots on 18, a par 5. Played from grampa tees...

First shot ball was tee’d up 1/2”, and the second shot was slightly uphill off a tight lie. Both balls were hit well. Easy 70 yard chip on and missed the birdie putt...

Im really liking this club’s accuracy... point and shoot

35162958-506C-42AA-A204-D6092B3C9168.jpeg.a0a14d43cd00de882728a929e97d0e08.jpeg

B509968D-1689-4BB1-BABF-59286F40D069.jpeg.f58e239b605cb0d07508c719d3de9d27.jpeg

We knew it wouldn’t be long....

Rick loves them, but he probably needs the combo set...😉

Played again today, seems to be my normal routine of late eh? They were really booked up solid as I got there a little late, so I opted to go out the back 9 and hit multiple shots with different clubs on each hole. I think that when I go out to just goof off and hit multiple balls, something clicks off in my brain and I just go into auto-pilot. I just hit rope after rope, and doubt never gets close to any thought , because it doesn't matter what I do. I suppose its good for iron testing. 

Needless to say I continue to really enjoy these clubs. I suppose I could get some "distance irons" and hit them farther, but I don't feel the need. Im getting a bit more used to the Recoil shafts and have found that I can actually take a shorter and smoother swing and get as good of distance. I can actually feel the shaft kicking the ball at contact when I put a good swing down. 

I grabbed a bucket of balls after I finished, and just started hitting the Icons for a while. Shot after shot, It was like the feeling of the pre-surgery "happy" shot, where you just feel like a million bucks before you slip off into never-never land. Went through the bag and hit a billion balls, and then came back to the PW Icon for the last 30 or so balls. The flag at 117 yards took a beating... When you get into a "range-pro" groove, its fun...

2 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

Rick loves them, but he probably needs the combo set...😉

Same as @Sluggo42 and played today.  While I was going to play for a score I decided that I would gain nothing from this test if I hit driver off the tee of every hole and have a gap wedge in.  So I played a style of golf that I think would benefit me going forward, outside of member testing.  Tee shots that leave me anywhere from 140 - 220 into the green really offers a different view of the course and helps instill some confidence in those clubs we aren't always hitting into greens. 

As the bag goes, the 4 is still my favorite club.  My tee shots have been consistently finding the fairway and it is a forgiving and reliable addition.  For the days where I switch back to my Maltby TS-1's, this club will stay in the bag, no question.

5-7 have had a learning curve.  These weren't necessarily my favorite in the bag from the onset but after some practice, I have learned how to make them work.  As a sweeper and a shallow divot taker, the advantage that the v-sole offers me is shots out of the rough.  Fliers are rare and the club does its thing without any poor misses.

8-9 are the best looking clubs at address.  The boxed look is still something I speak highly of and possibly ad nauseam.  I apologize for that but this design really works for me; they took a classic boxy look that Hogan short irons had in the medallion days and made it work.  Gushing aside, you still need to make good contact, poor swings yield poor results.  They're still a blade folks and even being shorter irons, don't let that trick you into making lazy shots.  

Plenty of photos and video from today that I can share for my final review.  Until then, be good and be safe 🙂  

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

Now from TXG?...

We are still a couple weeks away from dropping our overall official reviews, but after ~1500 range balls and 135 holes, certain aspects of these ICONs are already crystal clear.

They are beautifully refined. I haven’t yet mustered the words to do them justice in the looks and feel department.

E8977DCB-0B89-4529-82B3-0419AB6F6E8C.jpeg.052b7a462a4365195e2a493a01059ac8.jpeg

All indications point to V-Sole having a tangible impact.

57282727-20FF-44BE-B22B-5C0A9584C328.jpeg.9625fbceeceb9acadefc17b2bb6684d4.jpeg

I’m doing my level best to wear the DBM finish off these faces. This 9-iron has seen hundreds of balls (face cleaned after every swing).

EF6F3638-392B-4E79-9DF5-0D14B036B886.jpeg.e86b9fbe5bd75e4d414bfc27812a9fbb.jpeg

The KBS Tour V steel experiment has been interesting and in some ways positive, but my elbows hurt. After we wrap up our official reviews, I’m likely to drop in a brand new Matrix Ozik crate motor that has been collecting dust in the basement.

63412D9F-F3FD-4204-AAC2-F25BE830FB36.jpeg.b20b3552c9d759b42604a5c22c2b831e.jpeg

It has been so much fun getting to know these wonderful clubs over the past 3 weeks. And I am looking forward to hearing impressions from the entire team as we get more track time. Anyway, that’s what I’ve been up to. Feel free to reach out with questions or requests that we can dig into over the next couple weeks.

Question for the entire review team: My short game toolbox extends down to the 9-iron - have you guys spent much time exploring these buttery blades around the green?

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

57 minutes ago, downlowkey said:

Question for the entire review team: My short game toolbox extends down to the 9-iron - have you guys spent much time exploring these buttery blades around the green?

Absolutely. Anything running level that needs to get on the ground quickly is a PW around the green. Anything along the fringe and nearby that makes for a squirrelly putt is a 7iron putting stroke. There are so many reasons why but none more important than “it just works really well.”

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

56 minutes ago, Erik-M said:

So, I'm headed out today to do an 18 hole, 4-pw challenge against @GB13 for the cobra connect challenge.   It will be interesting cause i did a gap test yesterday and I hit my 4 iron so bad that it gapped it between my 6 and 7 irons lol. But I'm convinced that the SkyTrak hates my swing anyway, so I'm not putting much stock into it.  Similar 4 iron strikes going 241 and then 193? Weird, but i digress. Plus I'm a gamer, so I'll let you know how it goes. 

Good luck!! Hitting off of mats always produces funky/terrible numbers for my swing. I’m pretty sure it’s a mental issue for me. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

The black Icons are certainly the most beautiful iron out there IMO. Anxious to read the reviews.

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

17 hours ago, downlowkey said:

I’m likely to drop in a brand new Matrix Ozik crate motor

haha, that one actually made me lol.

Im finding my elbow and left hand are hurting less and less with the switch away from the VTours to the Recoils. But I did like them...

I wish I had a fancy crate engine in my garage...

So the 4-pw plus putter challenge was just that, a challenge!! I missed my wedges more then I ever thought I would! I realized today how much I lean on my long and short game.  For example on a par 5 today I hit a long 4 iron off the tee and had a 3 iron distance left in, then i had to hit p wedge to get another p wedge distance,  when i would either be on in 2 or near the green where i am really comfortable playing an array of different shots.  Plus our greens are super small and there are tons of run offs that make hitting flop p wedges very interesting. Here's the set up of the bag!20200805_134519.jpg.ec99626983946861592c9eaafda10037.jpg

I hit a sticky 5 iron on the 7th from 205, probably 1 of the only highlights of the day!20200805_161029.jpg.32e1b8e79b3a8947ca38d9913e14f8a8.jpg20200805_161046.jpg.1f398558edbad33244a7c1ac9f60bf72.jpg

It was lots of fun though!

oh and on that gap testing I did yesterday, I was supposed to be hitting pw from 126, so my first shot from the fairway today was 137 so I pulled pw to stay just short of the pin and blasted it long.  So I quickly got that gap test outta my mind and went with what I thought they should play! I'm a good 10 yds longer with each club! Then my old set. 

I played to score today instead of endless iron testing, and I shot even from the combo tees. It was kind of the 5 and 6 iron show today, with lots of long iron opportunities. I put seven on the greens today. I actually almost made my first HIO twice with the 6 iron on par 3's. the ball had to have gone within an inch of the cup as it settled past the hole by 3 or 4 feet. Made one and missed one birdie putt. I was almost giggling when I finally got to hit the icons. I guess yesterdays gigantic range session paid some dividends today.

I also think the Recoils are giving me about 5 yds extra on the shorter irons and maybe 10 on the longer irons. It also might be my newer swing. Which is simply a flared front foot, and a closed face backswing. But for some reason, that really creates a nice little snap at the contact point.