TESTERS WANTED! ×

2020 Official Member Review: Ben Hogan Icon & PTX Pro/Icon Combo Irons

On 8/2/2020 at 1:12 PM, deejaid said:

Well after my experience with the switch from a heavyweight steel shaft to a lightweight graphite I’d advise against it without a fitting. Even going from a 120+ steel to a 90+ steel is too big of a change, at least for me.

I spent the last week testing shafts at my club that were similar to the Hogan offerings using Cobra Forged Tec and Titleist 620 CB heads. The KBS Tour 90 stiff steel shaft was too light and I kept hitting it thin. When I switched to the KBS $-Taper 120 (closest thing my club had to the KBS Tour-V that Hogan offers) I was hitting it center but I didn’t care for the lower ball flight. Finally, I tried the good ole Dynamic a Gold S300 and X100 and the X100 was perfect. Higher ball flight and more spin than the KBS offerings, at least for me, and the heavy weight got my tempo back.

I think with a Direct-To-Consumer model it is probably more important to stick with a similar weight shaft than focusing strictly on flex.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brother Deejaid, I wondered if you'd tried ProSoft inserts in the past?

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

Surveillance Report: Subtle Shot Spectrum

*full volume for full ‘forged effect’

Some ideas explored in the official ICON review dropping next week...

Tradition -or- Progress; Creativity -or- Predictability; Exhilarating -or- Sensible?

“You can’t always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you might find. You get what you need.” - The Rolling Stones

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

12 minutes ago, downlowkey said:

Tradition -or- Progress; Creativity -or- Predictability; Exhilarating -or- Sensible?

“You can’t always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you might find. You get what you need.” - The Rolling Stones

Those sound so much better than the person hitting next to you. 

1 minute ago, sirchunksalot said:

Those sound so much better than the person hitting next to you. 

I’ve been surprised by the notice these ICONs have received at the range - from nonchalant peeks strolling past the bag, to the more direct “Those sound so quiet - what are they?”

BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS

1 hour ago, downlowkey said:

You can hear each grain of steel.  Those sound extremely smooth.... extremely smooth. 

10 minutes ago, Shankster said:

You can hear each grain of steel.  Those sound extremely smooth.... extremely smooth. 

I think you would thoroughly enjoy carving it up with these wrenches, pards. The misses (speaking from very regular firsthand experience) hurt. But there is something special about successfully navigating the punishing correlation between input and result that blades uniquely present.

I’m sure you experienced it plenty with those tiny Ping BPs, as has @sirchunksalot alluded to the same in his vintage Wilson experiments. Are you punished for your mistakes? Yes. Do you learn from it? Hopefully. Did you earn the result? Unquestionably. Would you like to operate within that reality? Well... things get deeper there.

Also, the KBS Tour V setup is growing on me. Sore elbows be damned. It’s no limit flagstick season and these hawks are stone cold killers.

5 minutes ago, downlowkey said:

I think you would thoroughly enjoy carving it up with these wrenches, pards. The misses (speaking from very regular firsthand experience) hurt. But there is something special about successfully navigating the punishing correlation between input and result that blades uniquely present.

I’m sure you experienced it plenty with those tiny Ping BPs, as has @sirchunksalot alluded to the same in his vintage Wilson experiments. Are you punished for your mistakes? Yes. Do you learn from it? Hopefully. Did you earn the result? Unquestionably. Would you like to operate within that reality? Well... things get deeper there.

Also, the KBS Tour V setup is growing on me. Sore elbows be damned. It’s no limit flagstick season and these hawks are stone cold killers.

I can feel a bad shot off the face of my game improvement irons, but the feedback off a forged iron is a completely different beast. I know right away where I hit them and I can imagine these Hogan's perform exactly the same. These irons are some of the most beautiful I've seen. You guys are doing a great job and it sounds like you're having fun doing it. 

On 8/14/2020 at 6:45 PM, sirchunksalot said:

and it sounds like you're having fun doing it. 

You speak the truth...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

36 minutes ago, Erik-M said:

Just shot my best round of 18 straight, and my best streak of birdies of my life! Started on the back and 4 holes in this happened!!Screenshot_20200817-191121_TheGrint.jpg.d30983ef3e1b1a6d1568fdaea590b6f7.jpg

I was sticking it close, granted allot had to do with me absolutely smashing my driver and straight! But also hitting greens with irons! Hole 1 to 4 inches on the approach! Made a couple 10 footers and a15 foot ish! You could see when i realized how good the round was, it got less good lol🤔

That birdie steak to end it was amazing! Great round!

1 hour ago, Erik-M said:

Just shot my best round of 18 straight, and my best streak of birdies of my life! Started on the back and 4 holes in this happened!!Screenshot_20200817-191121_TheGrint.jpg.d30983ef3e1b1a6d1568fdaea590b6f7.jpg

I was sticking it close, granted allot had to do with me absolutely smashing my driver and straight! But also hitting greens with irons! Hole 1 to 4 inches on the approach! Made a couple 10 footers and a15 foot ish! You could see when i realized how good the round was, it got less good lol🤔

Dude, 7 straight birds!

<insert polite golf applause here>  😁

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

1 hour ago, Erik-M said:

Just shot my best round of 18 straight, and my best streak of birdies of my life

Feels good don’t it?

I was sticking it close, granted allot had to do with me absolutely smashing my driver and straight! But also hitting greens with irons! Hole 1 to 4 inches on the approach! Made a couple 10 footers and a15 foot ish! You could see when i realized how good the round was, it got less good lol

Wow! In the groove. Congrats on a great round!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

15 hours ago, Erik-M said:

I guess the obvious question is which putter do you use?!?!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

15 hours ago, Erik-M said:

these irons aren't going anywhere!!!! Best I've ever used! And 4 iron is absolute money now!

During the 6 hole streak, were you using mostly PW/9 iron???

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

So how are the ICONs to hit? I'd go through the whole thread but that is a lot to read. I am debating those or the combo as i am not the best ball striker in the world but love the sound of more traditional lofts and forged irons.\

Also, those with the combo sets, do you see anything jumpy on some hits like the TXG folks saw on the non pro PTxs?

Edited by rbsiedsc

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

16 hours ago, Erik-M said:

what did your playing partners think? That is quite impressive. I would enjoy a par streak like that, let alone a birdie streak. Nice work!

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

My Reviews:

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

21 hours ago, Erik-M said:

I had a chance at a career round today, but I stumbled on the back nine with a drive OB on a reachable short par 4.  Still put up a 70.  I was feeling pretty Good about myself, until I saw that round you threw up. That is awesome!  Good for you!

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

57 minutes ago, downlowkey said:

In a word - buttery.

Without knowing your game, "not the best ball striker" sounds like the combo set might be a better look.

The area on the face of the ICON 4-iron that I would described as 'sweet spot' is uncomfortably small.

And in my experience, the other areas on the face are not particularly useful.

In one word, i am somewhat toey. I strike my short irons consistently and my longer ones less so. I wish there combo set was more customize-able instead of where it splits. Would prefer a 6-pw or 7-pw in the ICONs.

My Reviews:

On 8/14/2020 at 9:14 PM, downlowkey said:

Would love to get 18 in with you somewhere down the line.  Preferably before I need a wheelchair.  Who knows, maybe I’ll be heading back out west next summer.

Good to hear you are having success with the Tour V.  I could not get along with that shaft, but I only had them in wedges.

And yes, the toe of the BP 2 iron is... like hitting an a TopFlite XL2000 at 6am in November with a metal broomstick.  Looking at them tonight, I think I need to get my eyes checked again. I should probably add some sort of magnification lenses to them to make the irons look like SGI irons.  That’s how you build confidence, glasses.

Ok guys, I’ve got my review up. I’ve got the feeling that there will be some academy award reviews to follow, so get it while it’s hot!

3 hours ago, rbsiedsc said:

In one word, i am somewhat toey. I strike my short irons consistently and my longer ones less so. I wish there combo set was more customize-able instead of where it splits. Would prefer a 6-pw or 7-pw in the ICONs.

You are probably in my zone, and the “combo set” is our language. I often think the ability to select your own split point would be nice, but in the end, it’s probably not a bad place to be. Coming from my Mizuno set where the split was after the 6 iron, it’s just fine since the PtxPro’s are so solid.

Played a nice and relaxed round with a group of young men who were all very cool. We shot Blues all day and the hogans were spot on, and good for a +3 74. A sluggish start, but two birdies on the back saved a great round. Best shot was an 8 iron from 141yds to about a foot and a half for the first bird of the day. Seems the 8 iron got a lot of shots perhaps by playing the blues instead of the split tees. And It was up for the task. The 4UiHi also got a great shot in on a 190 yd par 3, but missed the birdie putt.

A large part of making a quality shot is having confidence in your clubs. its good that the Hogans provide that for me... Mark my words, Combo sets will become standard operating procedure in the next few years. And I wouldn't be at all surprised that the lower index guys go that way too....

I have some exciting news to share.  Please tune into my review which will be submitted shortly. I believe this is what they call “The Teaser” in the marketing/advertising business. 😂 

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

On 8/18/2020 at 1:05 PM, rbsiedsc said:

So how are the ICONs to hit? I'd go through the whole thread but that is a lot to read. I am debating those or the combo as i am not the best ball striker in the world but love the sound of more traditional lofts and forged irons.\

Also, those with the combo sets, do you see anything jumpy on some hits like the TXG folks saw on the non pro PTxs?

The Icons feel AS GOOD AS ANY FORGING I have ever hit. There is a short but pure resonance that feels as good as it sounds. I don’t need to say more; they feel solid and smooth. 

There isn’t anything jumpy about the PTx heads. While they don’t have that pure feeling like the Icons, they have a solid and consistent feel that you’d expect from a multi piece forging. I have never seen nor had a concern with trajectory differences between the 5-7 and 8-P. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

16 hours ago, bens197 said:

The Icons feel AS GOOD AS ANY FORGING I have ever hit. There is a short but pure resonance that feels as good as it sounds. I don’t need to say more; they feel solid and smooth. 

There isn’t anything jumpy about the PTx heads. While they don’t have that pure feeling like the Icons, they have a solid and consistent feel that you’d expect from a multi piece forging. I have never seen nor had a concern with trajectory differences between the 5-7 and 8-P. 

do the PTx still have some slight forged softness to them?

My Reviews:

34 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

do the PTx still have some slight forged softness to them?

absolutely, they are a forged face. Not Icon butter, because only a mizuno blade will approach that. But solid and crisp is how I like to describe the PtxPro's. I used to get nervous over 170 yd shots with my various other 5 irons, but now feel confident that I'm gunna stick the green now. another way to describe the hit is "clean". Its just a nice satisfying crisp clean hit haha.

Oh, and I keep forgetting to talk about the V-Sole. these clubs just glide thru the strike, as the turf interaction is so.... uhhh... sweet? use your choice of adjective here, as it just gets thru the grass like its not even there.