TESTERS WANTED! ×

2020 Official Member Review: Ben Hogan Icon & PTX Pro/Icon Combo Irons

Just now, Sluggo42 said:

absolutely, they are a forged face. Not Icon butter, because only a mizuno blade will approach that. But solid and crisp is how I like to describe the PtxPro's. I used to get nervous over 170 yd shots with my various other 5 irons, but now feel confident that I'm gunna stick the green now. another way to describe the hit is "clean". Its just a nice satisfying crisp clean hit haha.

Oh, and I keep forgetting to talk about the V-Sole. these clubs just glide thru the strike, as the turf interaction is so.... uhhh... sweet? use your choice of adjective here, as it just gets thru the grass like its not even there.

A little late to this thread, have missed quite a few posts and this may have already been mentioned ... but I’ve seen that the spin numbers on the PtxPros are really good as well. 

Michael Newton’s post on YouTube about these is very impressive. 

Driver: :ping-small: G410 SFT 10.5*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19* & 21*

Irons: image.png.ec9b0a77ef708074b5547162186659f4.png  Forged Tec One Length (5i-GW)

Wedges: image.png.3c33ed301e51199de9e62f474f52b6e0.png T22 55* & 59*

Putter: image.png.f53011d6b358811f2c4cdcc166aeeffa.png  002 Mid-Mallet

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft LS & :Snell: Prime-X

image.png

Just another 5 iron with the Hogan’s. I’ve never felt so confident at 170 yards in the last 15 years. Between the V-Sole, and the Recoil f4 graphite shaft, and the tech they use to make these things, I’m actually looking forward to this shot, rather than dreading it...   missed the dang putt if you’re wondering 

D0E03C27-FC68-49DE-9D8F-17018A111E8E.jpeg.794a7a52c007901681f8923e16c02380.jpeg

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

17 minutes ago, mikeanthony said:

A little late to this thread, have missed quite a few posts and this may have already been mentioned ... but I’ve seen that the spin numbers on the PtxPros are really good as well. 

Michael Newton’s post on YouTube about these is very impressive. 

Great point!!!

They do spin well, and hold well as a result. I also saw Michael Newtons youtube video. Txg just did the Icon's and also mentions very good spin numbers.

My review is up fellas. 

Sluggo put up such a good review, I feel like the ugly stepsister. 

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

Is this an anomaly with @joen's set or are others seeing this issue? Also, these are starting to exhibit a healthy amount of bag dings for a near new set... of course this coming from my years of playing PING's indestructotanium alloy 🙂.  Lastly, would the others agree that these are more a players vs. a players distance club?

large.A6A25300-2C10-41EB-A563-41E2DB16868C.jpeg.ddfcd959138263c1353b9d88adf0a211.jpeg 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Is this an anomaly with [mention=55641]joen[/mention]'s set or are others seeing this issue? Also, these are starting to exhibit a healthy amount of bag dings for a near new set... of course this coming from my years of playing PING's indestructotanium alloy .  Lastly, would the others agree that these are more a players vs. a players distance club?
large.A6A25300-2C10-41EB-A563-41E2DB16868C.jpeg.ddfcd959138263c1353b9d88adf0a211.jpeg 

I love a little bag chatter. It’s one of the benefits of a nice forged iron.

I actually really do like it on them tho. My wedding ring is the same way. I like the character.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Is this an anomaly with @joen's set or are others seeing this issue? Also, these are starting to exhibit a healthy amount of bag dings for a near new set... of course this coming from my years of playing PING's indestructotanium alloy 🙂.  Lastly, would the others agree that these are more a players vs. a players distance club?

I think the dings are going to be pretty common with this set. Nothing feels this soft off the face that won’t take a beating from bag chatter!

Also, is this indestructotanium alloy the same thing Ironmans suit is made out of???  😆 

Right Handed. 

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

I’ve Probably played close to 75 rounds between my two sets of Hogan’s, and haven’t had any cosmetic failure, but I also keep them in “face savers” at all times.

i would agree with your assessment, they are a players club. Not a distance club as they’re very true to their lofts, and very consistent. You don’t ever get the “flyer” which goes 10-20 extra yards out of the blue. And the transformation from the 8 iron “Icon”, to the 7 Iron “PtxPro” is seemless. I would say the “jumpiest” stick is the 4UiHi, but that’s also because you will hit it from so many different situations. From teed up a 1/2”, to a crappy lie on a hard pan fairway, to some sloppy wet rough. So you can get anywhere from 170 to 210. That’s a 40 yard variation, but, it’s also an expected yardage each time. I KNOW it will avg 205 off a tee. I KNOW it’ll go 180-190 off a decent lie, etc. 

Side note, I also believe that “flyers” are more of a symptom of regular inconsistencies in perhaps a higher index players swings. Then they occasionally hit one “pure”, and it goes as far as it’s supposed to go, on a pure hit. But it seems like a “flyer”, because the player isn’t used to the consistent pure strikes. So maybe the “pure sweet-spot” varies from club to club.  So one would need some robot testing to test the “micro-sweet spots”... hmmm does MSG have access to a robot tester?

Absolutely an anomaly.  Mine arrived as clean and shiny as a baby boomers project Camaro.  

They will ding and show wear as they should, tools not toys.  

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

30 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

I’ve Probably played close to 75 rounds between my two sets of Hogan’s, and haven’t had any cosmetic failure, but I also keep them in “face savers” at all times.

i would agree with your assessment, they are a players club. Not a distance club as they’re very true to their lofts, and very consistent. You don’t ever get the “flyer” which goes 10-20 extra yards out of the blue. And the transformation from the 8 iron “Icon”, to the 7 Iron “PtxPro” is seemless. I would say the “jumpiest” stick is the 4UiHi, but that’s also because you will hit it from so many different situations. From teed up a 1/2”, to a crappy lie on a hard pan fairway, to some sloppy wet rough. So you can get anywhere from 170 to 210. That’s a 40 yard variation, but, it’s also an expected yardage each time. I KNOW it will avg 205 off a tee. I KNOW it’ll go 180-190 off a decent lie, etc. 

Side note, I also believe that “flyers” are more of a symptom of regular inconsistencies in perhaps a higher index players swings. Then they occasionally hit one “pure”, and it goes as far as it’s supposed to go, on a pure hit. But it seems like a “flyer”, because the player isn’t used to the consistent pure strikes. So maybe the “pure sweet-spot” varies from club to club.  So one would need some robot testing to test the “micro-sweet spots”... hmmm does MSG have access to a robot tester?

I agree with Sluggos assessment. These are definitely players clubs. Not players distance clubs. I know what yardage all these clubs are going to go with a good hit and my regular mishit. 
The gapping is great between the clubs. The Icons flow nicely to the PTX pro which flows well to the four hybrid.  They did such a good job with the gapping I was considering getting the 5 hybrid to replace the 5 iron since I have difficulty with the 5 iron for some reason. 
And just to be clear, this was not a cosmetic failure after playing. The club arrived with the paint fill missing. 

Right Handed. 

3 hours ago, joen said:

And just to be clear, this was not a cosmetic failure after playing. The club arrived with the paint fill missing.

Oh, I did not catch that... odd they would leave the factory looking like that.

3 hours ago, joen said:

Also, is this indestructotanium alloy the same thing Ironmans suit is made out of???  😆 

After 30+ years of pounding the hell out of my PE2's, I would have to say yes.  Also, while still early in their service life, the G410's seem to be made from a very similar chemistry.

I picked up a set of PTx Pros blacks, heads only to be put into the new Rapid Tapers.
I chose black because the finish is so durable and the clubs will not show bag chatter.
In comparison to my PTM blacks they are quite a bit shorter in blade length and a touch shorter. Also the hosel is longer with the Hogans.
I built these with three different weighted shafts. 95g 85g and 75g. 95 in the pw, 9... 85 in the 6 7, 8 and 75 in the 4 and 5. All S flex.
The 4 iron is an absolute missile. I was playing it at 225 out and actually making the green. With the 75g shaft they get up very quickly but flaten out and Go. Hitting the 5 iron too far was an issue a few times. A smooth easy swing is all that's needed with the 75g shafts.
The 85g don't quite fly as high but they were also giving me distance that matched the PTM irons which are 2° stronger. Spin is really something with these. The ball just dances on the green. I was seeing the ball bounce pretty high on yhe greens and i assumed it was going over.. Even with the 6 iron i was still backing up the ball. Every ball that hit the green was just a few feet from its mark. Almost all backed up. Stopping power is strong!!
The 95s are control freaks. They are low flying and have spin thats one hop and stop. Hitting little checker pitches is a blast with these.
When I first built the set I installed them straight in with no added weight. They all swing weighted to C 9.5 to D0. But i wasn't super crazy with how some of them felt. So I pulled them apart and made them all D2. The hosel has a nice empty 'weight pocket' below where the shaft bottoms out. I filled that with lead powder and a small bit of lead for a tip weight to get them to where I wanted.
Thats when these clubs really came to life. Never felt a club respond so well to swing weight.
These Rapid Tapers really make a huge difference in feel and flight. The 75g shafts go so damn far.
I could go with all one weight but that would be boring. With all three weights its like the set has three distinct personalities, yet blend in very well.
These are certainly a players club with not that much forgiveness. But struck well and they shine. Im just getting used to them but its a very quick learn. I love my Maltby gear but these may stay around for a while. 20200820_123529.jpg20200820_142949.jpg20200820_222816.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Well, that’s 3 reviews in the 90’s now, as well as Popeye’s very cool addition. I’m enjoying reading that I’m not the only one who is really digging the Hogan irons.

Official Ben Hogan Icon Review bumparoo

I could talk about these clubs all day so please fire away with any questions that were not covered in the official review.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

Nice & Fresh & Ready to go...please enjoy 🙂

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

6 hours ago, downlowkey said:

Official Ben Hogan Icon Review bumparoo

I could talk about these clubs all day so please fire away with any questions that were not covered in the official review.

terrific review mate, you have a knack with the english language. well done!

On 8/22/2020 at 8:05 PM, Popeye64 said:

I picked up a set of PTx Pros blacks, heads only to be put into the new Rapid Tapers.
I chose black because the finish is so durable and the clubs will not show bag chatter.
In comparison to my PTM blacks they are quite a bit shorter in blade length and a touch shorter. Also the hosel is longer with the Hogans.
I built these with three different weighted shafts. 95g 85g and 75g. 95 in the pw, 9... 85 in the 6 7, 8 and 75 in the 4 and 5. All S flex.
The 4 iron is an absolute missile. I was playing it at 225 out and actually making the green. With the 75g shaft they get up very quickly but flaten out and Go. Hitting the 5 iron too far was an issue a few times. A smooth easy swing is all that's needed with the 75g shafts.
The 85g don't quite fly as high but they were also giving me distance that matched the PTM irons which are 2° stronger. Spin is really something with these. The ball just dances on the green. I was seeing the ball bounce pretty high on yhe greens and i assumed it was going over.. Even with the 6 iron i was still backing up the ball. Every ball that hit the green was just a few feet from its mark. Almost all backed up. Stopping power is strong!!
The 95s are control freaks. They are low flying and have spin thats one hop and stop. Hitting little checker pitches is a blast with these.
When I first built the set I installed them straight in with no added weight. They all swing weighted to C 9.5 to D0. But i wasn't super crazy with how some of them felt. So I pulled them apart and made them all D2. The hosel has a nice empty 'weight pocket' below where the shaft bottoms out. I filled that with lead powder and a small bit of lead for a tip weight to get them to where I wanted.
Thats when these clubs really came to life. Never felt a club respond so well to swing weight.
These Rapid Tapers really make a huge difference in feel and flight. The 75g shafts go so damn far.
I could go with all one weight but that would be boring. With all three weights its like the set has three distinct personalities, yet blend in very well.
These are certainly a players club with not that much forgiveness. But struck well and they shine. Im just getting used to them but its a very quick learn. I love my Maltby gear but these may stay around for a while. 20200820_123529.jpg20200820_142949.jpg20200820_222816.jpg

What are your thoughts on those ptm forged?I am looking for a set of game improvement clubs for my dad and looking for something that can be built to specs online. 

What are your thoughts on those ptm forged?I am looking for a set of game improvement clubs for my dad and looking for something that can be built to specs online. 
The PTM have been my gamer irons this year and they check off a lot of boxes.
Thinner top line that hides the fact that its a player GI iron.
Wide sole with relieved leading edge that is a turf friendly as any club could be.
Great feel, that didn't hit anything feel that we all love.
Plenty of weight down low that gets the ball up quickly.
Surprisingly forgiving.
Money wise one of the best deals on a forged head anywhere!!!
Tough to go wrong with the PTM.

25 minutes ago, Popeye64 said:

The PTM have been my gamer irons this year and they check off a lot of boxes.
Thinner top line that hides the fact that its a player GI iron.
Wide sole with relieved leading edge that is a turf friendly as any club could be.
Great feel, that didn't hit anything feel that we all love.
Plenty of weight down low that gets the ball up quickly.
Surprisingly forgiving.
Money wise one of the best deals on a forged head anywhere!!!
Tough to go wrong with the PTM.

Thanks!

On 8/22/2020 at 8:05 PM, Popeye64 said:

How did you get a set of heads only from Hogan? I've asked, and they declined to sell only the heads.

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Blade #2
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

How did you get a set of heads only from Hogan? I've asked, and they declined to sell only the heads.
I sent them sample shafts to be tested. So I had an in with Xcaliber. So they gave me the price they sell them to Club Chamo and such... which wasn't actually cheap.
I really wanted the split set but due to inventory they are not splitting the blacks at this time.

1 minute ago, Popeye64 said:

I sent them sample shafts to be tested. So I had an in with Xcaliber. So they gave me the price they sell them to Club Chamo and such... which wasn't actually cheap.
I really wanted the split set but due to inventory they are not splitting the blacks at this time.

Ah...so you work in the golf industry? Nice fringe benefits.

I just think BH's reluctance to sell heads only direct-to-consumer is foolish, since they're already doing so with Club Champion as a middle man. Oh, well. 

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Blade #2
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

Ah...so you work in the golf industry? Nice fringe benefits.
I just think BH's reluctance to sell heads only direct-to-consumer is foolish, since they're already doing so with Club Champion as a middle man. Oh, well. 
I'm the head of testing for Xcaliber shafts. It went from a hobby to a side deal. Really not making any money with it but I get all the free shafts I want.
The new Rapid Taper shafts are a game changer in a lot of ways. 6 months from now they are gonna be making big waves.

28 minutes ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

They’re not a component company. All manufacturers sell heads to CC and TXG. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

shot a -1 70 today, and the star of the day was the 7 iron. I was zoned into the 150-155 yds shots for whatever reason, and the 7 iron kept jumping out of the bag. Needless to say, it was money all day, as I had 5 birdies. Thats a dang good day for me, and If I hadn't made a stupid double on 5 the day would obviously have been terrific . But any day the - sign is in front of my final score is a great day.

The Hogans are a very large part of this trend of good scores I've been on...