TESTERS WANTED! ×

2020 Official Member Review: Ben Hogan Icon & PTX Pro/Icon Combo Irons

I realize now that I did not go into the depths when mentioning the 4 UiHi iron within the set.  This iron alone deserves some recognition as not just a point and shoot iron but a star within the set.

Its predecessor, the Ft Worth HI was the EASIEST to hit long iron I have ever played.  The only knock I had against it was it would reach the stratosphere regardless of how I swung the club.  The UiHi took that ease and made for a club that doesn't launch too high but is equally easy to hit.

That's really all...I had posted a video of me hitting that club and while I am a high ball hitter, this was a better tool for hitting penetrating shots.  

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

17 minutes ago, bens197 said:

I realize now that I did not go into the depths when mentioning the 4 UiHi iron within the set.  This iron alone deserves some recognition as not just a point and shoot iron but a star within the set.

Its predecessor, the Ft Worth HI was the EASIEST to hit long iron I have ever played.  The only knock I had against it was it would reach the stratosphere regardless of how I swung the club.  The UiHi took that ease and made for a club that doesn't launch too high but is equally easy to hit.

That's really all...I had posted a video of me hitting that club and while I am a high ball hitter, this was a better tool for hitting penetrating shots.  

AGREED

Its a weapon in its own right. It's like a stinger that goes where its aimed and it always seems to go as far as expected. But like any club, you still need to put a swing on it.

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Here’s either a 7 or 8 iron, I can’t quite remember from yesterday’s round. I missed the pin by a mile, but Was able to roll a good putt up for another easy par.

A 6 iron from 170 that I absolutely torched...

pretty good spin to stay put like this. Ive been trying to work a fade into my repertoire and am finding they still go far, and the flight just soars, and they stick like this...

Hogans....

748DAE11-13C1-42B3-A22E-6F407F4CF4B6.jpeg.95df8a0398c0f85fc6160eb798afc43b.jpeg

138 to an elevated green with an 8 iron. Absolutely smoked it. Felt pure as anything. Had two other shots just like this in my 35 tonight. These clubs flat out perform!!!  They feel like I am driving a Ferrari on a VW budget. 

91F63DEB-B61C-4CC3-B7B7-CC2FACAA7BA5.jpeg

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

OK....these clubs are better than I thought. I got hit in the head with a golf ball yesterday waiting on a tee box. No one yelled fore and no one apologized for beaning me.  I am OK.  I am not repeating myself.  I am not repeating myself. Lol. Anyways, I parred out after getting beaned. Clearly there is an autopilot function with these clubs. 

DAEB84BC-CAA5-4746-B591-0316FC66A6BB.png

Right Handed. 

On 8/28/2020 at 5:26 PM, joen said:

138 to an elevated green with an 8 iron. Absolutely smoked it. Felt pure as anything. Had two other shots just like this in my 35 tonight. These clubs flat out perform!!!  They feel like I am driving a Ferrari on a VW budget. 

91F63DEB-B61C-4CC3-B7B7-CC2FACAA7BA5.jpeg

Niiice... thats an avg distance, for a solid hit for me, seems like we must have a similar swing speed. They are as (pure/butter/marshmellow/soft/smooth/breathy/etc) as they get, eh?

15 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

Niiice... thats an avg distance, for a solid hit for me, seems like we must have a similar swing speed. They are as (pure/butter/marshmellow/soft/smooth/breathy/etc) as they get, eh?

I have noticed that about your club selection in your previous posts....that we hit the ball about the same. And yes....there are not enough superlatives to go around about these clubs!

Right Handed. 

On 5/21/2020 at 4:05 PM, downlowkey said:

Ben Hogan ICON Black – Official MGS Forum Review by downlowkey

Intro

My sincere thanks to Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Co. and MyGolfSpy for this wonderful opportunity. It has been a blast getting to know these Ben Hogan ICON Black irons and sharing the experience with the best golf community around.

I'm a Tex-pat residing on the Colorado Front Range, in an idyllic Denver suburb called Louisville (Pleasantville). The air is quite thin up here at 5500 feet. If you have never played at altitude, my advice is don't try it. You'll never enjoy golf at sea level again.

My first experience with a real set of golf clubs was lightly used Hogan EDGEs. I was a High School freshman just trying to make the JV team in a very competitive program. Over the next four years, I absolutely wore the grooves off trying to earn a top spot on the team. My daily routine was pretty straightforward, hit range balls until my hands bled. I learned a great deal about life, the game and myself in the process. More than anything, I developed both a love for competition and the discipline necessary to have success. Over the past 25 years most of my golf revolved around tournament settings (HS, College, Professional, USGA Amateur Champs).

The past few seasons have been plagued by injury, some quite serious. I also turned 40 at the end of last year and my elbows are starting to protest the millions of divots on the swingometer. In addition to the pain of aging, the situation in the World right now has caused me to reassess my golf goals. I don't currently have any competitive aspirations and actually let my official handicap lapse for the first time a couple months ago (last official index +2.2). Nonetheless, I'm currently playing more golf than I have in a very long time. The game feels pretty tidy but my focus has become much more conceptual. Instead of my reality hinging on a number at the end of the day, I simply appreciate the opportunity to be creative, decisive and hopefully graceful. That is truly how I see golf right now - an opportunity.

For those less interested in the esoteric conceptual rhythms, my typical shot shape is a lazy little draw. The flinch is an anti-chunk mentality that comes out a groove or two low, and about a club short. Pertinent 2020 season stats for those considering a full quiver of ICONs: Fwy (68%); GIR (77%) The competitor: Adams IDEA MB2 4-PW w/ Matrix Ozik Program 130 6.5, that I would rate as strong... to very strong.

First Impressions

Let's get this out the way right now - the Ben Hogan ICONs are muscle back blades. None of the wonderful things I subsequently have to say about the way they look or feel is going to change the punishing physics behind these graduated lumps of carbon steel. So if you don't regularly hit it out of the middle and score is the primary metric on which you hang your hat, the rest of this review is not going to be particularly useful.

Modern Meets Classic: Traditional lofts, thin top line, compact head, boxed toe and minimal offset are all hallmarks of traditional blades and characteristics that the ICONs possess in spades. Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Co. has purportedly designed a number of useful features into these otherwise classic heads.

Mind The Gap: With consistent 4 degree loft gapping and variable graduated lengths, the ICONs throw a big blanket over the 4-PW yardage spectrum. This is the standard Mr. Hogan adopted for his own personal equipment and the one on which he consistently staked his reputation as a premiere club maker.

The Holy Mass: The leaned out perimeter running around the back of the ICONs has allowed the engineers more latitude to gradually raise the center of mass as loft increases throughout the set. The goal is optimal launch, spin and dispersion in a seamless progression.

V-SOLE: There are a probably roughly a dozen different specialized wedge grinds on the market. Why wouldn't you want the same versatility in the rest of your irons? In a game where no two lies are identical, Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Co. claims their patented high bounce leading edge and softened trailing edge will help golfers successfully extract their ball from a variety of lies. In this case, "V" stands for versatile.

Well that product rundown from the marketing team certainly reads like my own personal wish list, but the real answers are always waiting in the dirt. Over the past 6 weeks, I have pounded thousands of range balls and played hundreds of holes with the ICONS. To be completely honest, I really wanted to make these clubs work for me and I've worked hard to make that a reality.

My area of the country was buttoned up pretty tight when our review team was asked to submit specs so a proper fitting wasn't really an option. Thankfully I have been fit for all my clubs several times in the past and have a pretty good idea what will and won't work well for me. I moved to graphite shafts a few seasons back but Ben Hogan doesn't offer a suitable graphite build option for me, so I went with a standard/standard stiff KBS Tour V setup. I'm not the kind of player who participates in conversations where we compare 7-iron carry distance. But I will happily chat all day about trajectory control, shot shape, consistency and feel. My current set of gamers adequately check all those boxes and the ICONs will have to outperform them to earn a spot in the bag.

Looks (10 out of 10)

This is the most elegant set of irons I have ever laid eyes on. Full stop. In the past I thought all kinds of clubs 'look good', but these ICONs look good in a more classical sense. They exude beauty in a way that I have never felt about another set of clubs. And I have bagged some real lookers over the years. The DBM finish is flawless and presents absolutely zero face glare. From the gold BH sunburst to the classic white Ben Hogan signature, all of the badges and paint fills seem intentional and understated. These clubs are incredibly tasteful and I am confident that Mr. Hogan would be pleased to have his name adorning them.

Sound & Feel (10 out of 10)

Throughout the review period, I have hinted at the sound and feel of the ICONs with terms like marshmallow, forged wool and stealth tech. The reality is that I have struggled to come up with words to do truly them justice in this scoring category. The feeling of flush contact has been finely tuned with this lineup. The sound of ball impact almost disappears amidst the thrush of V-SOLE carving through the turf. And my God are they soft! I have actually had to stop range session on several occasions due to runaway compounding mirth. You know how your strength seems to leave you when you're laughing? Well my tolerance with these ICONs is about 10 pure shots before I have to rest a beat because I'm on the verge of laughing out loud. Balls a couple grooves high or low along the centerline still feel fine but those groovy feelings fade quickly when shots venture much toward the toe or heel.

Basic Characteristics (19 out of 20 points)

For this category, it seems only fair to score the ICONs relatively against other blades. I believe my prior gamers to be a best-in-class blade design that perfectly fit my game and subsequently feel comfortable comparing the two in categories like accuracy, trajectory, versatility and consistency.

Accuracy: The ICONs are an improvement. I've been on a 6 week flag hunt and bagged way more than my fair share of kick-in birds. And this has invariably been the case with every club from 6-iron to PW.

Trajectory: I think this is one of the categories where V-SOLE has a tangible impact. The bounce on the leading edge makes the club dip through the turf ever so neatly. In the old days, a custom shop could 'kill' the leading edge on a blade and my MB2s do have a touch of that kill grind. The ICON V-SOLE is a kill grind on steroids and makes hitting knockdowns a breeze. For me, trajectory is the foundation of keeping the ball hole high and the ICONs have a noticeable edge in this category.

Versatility: I could go on all day about the creativity that the ICONs allow, so I'll try to wrap up the potential platitudes as succinctly as possible. Can you work the ball with virtually any golf club? Yes - but with a compact design like the ICON it takes so much less effort. I feel like Bob Ross with these clubs in the bag. There is so much mass behind the sweet spot - really punchy. In particular, fades have been easier for me to squeeze out of these slightly heel biased heads. I really enjoy taking on the ideal shot in most approach scenarios I face on the course and the ICONs let me paint any picture I can imagine.

Consistency: This is the category where blades pay dividends for my game. I don't care if my clubs fly the longest, but I do count on them to produce reliable results. Severely penal hazards aside, I believe modern architecture is generally kinder to misses 30 feet short opposed to those 30 feet long. It is disconcerting to fly a ball over the green and not know why it happened. The ICONs don't hold any surprises in this category - the output matches the input. Depending on your skill level, that could be viewed as a terrible bargain. For me, it is a reassuring certainty. And for my typical thin miss, the results are totally adequate and often work out a little better than expected.

On-Course Performance (28 out of 30 points)

My home course doesn't mow fairways every day. No problem for the ICONs. The rough similarly gets pretty gnarly. Also not a problem for the ICONs. I'm confident the compact heads and V-SOLE can handle any lie. I have hit some really nice shots with the 4-iron but it cannot be described as forgiving and I do my best to avoid the butter knife. In general, the 5-iron thru PW do exactly what I ask of them. My short game toolbox covers 56 degree up to 9-iron and I think the bump and run is an area where muscle backs typically have an advantage. The V-SOLE has been a bit of an adjustment on shots around the green. I like to play toe down runners and the 19 degree bounce reacts differently with turf. The toe tends to crank open and leave shots short and right. I've made some adjustments and started getting better results but it has taken some getting used to. In general, the ICONs have held up incredibly well under pressure and I relish every opportunity to carve a divot out of the turf but they have also cost me a few shots around the green.

Miscellaneous (9 out of 10 points)

I had to get pretty nitpicky to come up with reasons to deduct miscellaneous points from Ben Hogan on the ICONs. There was one tiny areas that QC could have been marginally tighter. The acetone cleanup turn on my ferrules wasn't perfect and there are some spots where the gloss finish varies slightly. That's it - they are otherwise faultless. I put them on the loft and lie machine and every club was dead nuts on spec.

Play it or Trade it? (20 out of 20)

Play.All.Day. I'm never getting rid of these beautiful buttery blades. At my skill level, there are no drastic ball striking gains to be realized. But in addition to performing marginally better than my prior gamers, the Ben Hogan ICONs offers less tangible benefits that hit me right in the feels. And good feelings is what I'm all about these days. I am proud to play these clubs and it has nothing to do with them being blades and everything to do with the name etched on the back.

Conclusion

Why do you play golf? What do you want out of golf? What are you willing to put into golf? These are the questions every golfer should ask themselves. But they may hold deeper answers for individuals that have deliberated whether they have the constitution to wield muscle back blades. I have tried to put the cutlery in the closet during a few periods when the launch monitor teased with longer, higher and straighter. But my own answers to those questions have inevitably drawn me back to the bare bones aesthetic. Over the entirety of my life in golf, no clubs have assured me that I was on the correct path more so than the Ben Hogan ICONs.

Final Score (96 out of 100)

I don't know why it has taken me so long to come read your review. Perhaps, COVID and my current job situation have simply caused me to steer clear of anything pertaining to shiny new toys of any kind, but WHAT A READ!!!

Great job on this bud! I don't think I'll have a lot to get poetic about on the CBD review, but this is definitely something I'll have to aspire to next time I have the opportunity to test and review some new gear (whether it be an official MGS test or unofficial review).

Despite being very different in skill, I find that I have very similar expectations for my irons - it's just how I enjoy golf even if it does make it a touch more difficult for me. I'll definitely consider a set of Ben Hogan irons when I eventually get the chance to replace my aging Nikes.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I like to browse the bay often for random golf clubs and whatever floats into my wandering mind.  One item that I cannot find are these irons.  I cannot find them in completed listings and there aren't any currently being sold. 

People who buy these irons are keeping them.  If the reviews aren't enough to pique your interest, let this help support your decision.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Every time I play I hit a few shots with these irons that just make me smile.

like today,

141 8-iron.  155 uphill 6-iron.   166 6-iron baby cut.  184 baby cut 4UiHi. All good birdie opportunities that I missed except one. And so on. Actually been working on the baby cut, and loving the soaring high ball flight.

but the best shot of the day was actually a 3 hybrid from 204 that ended up close, but missed that putt too, haha

These clubs took a lot longer for me to gell with but wow... once i figured out what they like its been amazing.

I cant say enough about the feel. I know its a mix of the Rapid Tapers and the heads, but.. The sound is a low muted click that sends a sensation through the hands and sticks in your mind long after you see the results. You can't wait to experience that feeling again. By lengthening my swing and being more rythmical it just made these clubs come to life.

I was hitting a bunch of knockdowns and they really started to knock the pins down. Just really is surprising how accurate I am with this setup.

The 4 iron is shockingly good.

Yesterday I had an uphill side hill lie to a 40' elevated green. 197 yards but probably was playing 220. Since it was above my feet I played for a sweeping draw the found pin high on the fringe.

This course takes driver out of your hands so the 4 iron was used again and again. Such a pure feeling... its gonna kill me to go back to work and miss two weeks of golf.

Others have gamed these Rapid tapers in the Hogans and they are even more enthusiastic than I am.. that's saying a lot.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Who says Sunday bags are only for Sundays?

7A7D5FDC-6AFB-43B2-8EA4-5C3E93BADBE6.jpeg.67f528b104dd7bd1dd7e2186051059c5.jpeg

Forgot the range was closing early for a clean pick. Only had (6) clubs in the practice bag - Cobra S9-1 Pro D driver; Ben Hogan ICON 5/7 iron; Cleveland 588 49/56 wedges and Bobby Grace NYC Tour. Finished 5 holes before the skies opened up. Hit every fairway/green and had an absolute blast scooting around with the half set. Takeaway - the ICONs are so easy to manipulate and the circa ‘11 Cobra disco stick is still a beast.

6F409FF4-4A45-4102-9AD9-1116208EE854.jpeg.f3de473df9eb7d405e0bf1a701808999.jpeg

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

Fantastic reviews guys, Ben Hogan should be proud to make such beautiful clubs that perform so well for so many!!

Now we just have to convince them to make more lefty clubs....😁😎

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

On 5/21/2020 at 2:07 PM, deejaid said:

1223180373_BenHoganReviewFirstImpressions.png.55e23db75bbf8a7fbaa1243c16792345.png

Medallions. Redlines.  Channelbacks.   These were the clubs I grew up coveting.  Ben Hogan  irons were the pinnacle of forged goodness.  I grew up in the 1980’s beating balls with vintage blades out into the fields of my grandfather's farm in Pennsylvania.   Now in California I can enjoy the game year round and most of my rounds are 9-hole affairs with a set of forged blades and persimmon woods. 

P1110723.jpeg.f7810a22c8a09a3412fccfe0ef399691.jpeg

I don’t carry an official handicap but average 38-43 shots per nine.  Many of my rounds are solo, enjoying the sights, sounds, and smells of manicured nature.  As for my game, I have a medium to quick tempo and a long backswing.  My ball flight is high, which I’ve always liked.  The new low spin era of shafts are not my thing.  My 150 yard club is an 8-iron and my typical miss is low and to the right.  I’ve always  been a pretty strong iron player and when I’m hitting greens I’m scoring well.  I really get in trouble if I miss a GIR and I’d say my chipping and bunker play is my biggest weakness.

Using the online HoganFit software it was recommended I use the KBS Tour V flex.  A recent Trackman fitting recommended a Project X 6.0 stiff shaft.   Since I have some nagging elbow pain, I figured graphite shafts would be the way to go.   Hogan shaft choice is quite limited and the only stiff flex graphite shaft was the Recoil 760.  While the graphite shafts definitely helped with the elbow pain, the light weight and active tip section meant I was hitting the toe constantly and it felt as if I had no control over the club head.   Tyler at Ben Hogan Golf was kind enough to have me send the irons back to be reshafted.   I decided to go with the good old fashioned Dynamic Gold X100’s.  I’d say after my experience only make the switch to graphite if you are fitted into them.  The weight difference and tip section torque are too much of a difference to switch to blindly.

First Impressions

With the Player’s Combo Set Irons, Ben Hogan has tried to build the perfect matched set of irons.   The PTx Pro 5-7 irons utilize a proprietary three-piece, multi-material, multi-step forging process featuring a soft 1025 carbon steel body with a forged MS300 face. Tungsten weight is placed in the toe to promote a straighter ball flight, and higher initial launch angles with more spin. The design retains the look of a better player’s iron while blending seamlessly with the Icon 8-PW, which are classic Hogan musclebacks.  

The Player’s Combo Set includes your choice of 4-iron; the set matching PTx Pro 4-iron, the UIHI 22* long iron replacement, or the VKTR+ hybrid. Opening the box of Hogan’s I was greeted by a familiar looking club. 

P1110670.jpeg.1f1933b09246a36ace32dd03778c22dc.jpeg

Looks  (9 out of 10 Points)

The Icons may be the best looking irons on the market right now.   Upon first glance perhaps easily mistaken for the 1999 Hogan Apex, the Icon small size head and straight leading edge produce a very pleasing look at address. The design of the club is classic, with the Ben Hogan starburst logo and minimal distractions on the back, this is a design that should age well.  

P1110610.jpeg.0e99edaf019377ad6e6a5db3a6ae90ef.jpeg

P1110616.jpeg.6206b1d158aab1a05e66362f270f9a29.jpeg

P1110619.jpeg.057f9473262eb44e275137d478495ea5.jpeg

The PTx Pro’s blend nicely with the Icons with only a slightly wider sole and a hair thicker top line while maintaining a similar overall shape at address.

P1110639.jpeg.8508e4b004f6379454e4c047835161b0.jpeg

P1110635.jpeg.a37f714cb75728fa22d1d02d4b02255d.jpeg

P1110644.jpeg.96c1a9879c6f6977b78a92e5f206af49.jpeg

The back of the club is a little busy though, the line around the perimeter mimicking a cavity back which is unnecessary.  While the Icons will still look fresh in a few years I feel the PTx Pro will look dated more quickly.

P1110625.jpeg.66317d1a7f4e03c51dcc496e8a0fead0.jpeg

The overall look is a more classic look than most clubs on the market which for a traditionalist like myself is definitely a plus.  The look of a shiny set of Hogan’s in the bag is one that never gets old.

P1110506.jpeg.2e7e97e1725944746e972f7322a0ffcd.jpeg

Sound & Feel (9 out of 10 Points)

Again, the Icons shine in the sound and feel department.   The feel off the face is very soft with a muted sound.   I’ve played forgings from Miura to Kyoei to Macgregor, and these Icons feel better than any of them save the Kyoei which they equal in every regard.  Mishits definitely effect feel negatively, but you immediately know where you missed on the face.

The PTx Pro’s were a pleasant surprise.  While they have the look of a hollow-head Player’s Distance iron, they are solid, and with the Tungsten weighting in the toe the feel was crisp and felt much more solid than  hollow head Player’s Distance irons.  Feedback was again superb, but the feel just could not match the high bar set by the Icon. 

Meanwhile, the UIHI has a hollow feel to it, similar to other manufacturers Player’s Distance irons and didn’t feel nearly as gratifying on a perfect strike.

IMG_2570.jpeg.0a25e57c7ebb8d52e2b83a1416c916e1.jpeg

P1110651.jpeg.54a8d60a2fad0e85c190461a819c49f4.jpeg

( UIHI 4-iron on left, PTx Pro 5-iron on right.  Notice the very similar sole width)

P1110662.jpeg.03796ff6a460b0c9cc844a4437e5b4ae.jpeg

(Top line comparison, left to Right- Icon, Ptx Pro, UIHI)

Basic Characteristics (17 out of 20 Points)

If you want to hunt some pins, the Player’s Combo set are your clubs.   The Hogan V-Sole is great from any lie and makes the sole feel more compact than it is. A really nice design that I'm glad they carried over from the Ft. Worth.  

While I was pretty sure I’d get a nice high flight with hop n’ stop landings with the Icons, I was really surprised by the performance of the PTx Pro.   They launch effortlessly with good spin on a nice high trajectory and land softly.   Unsurprisingly, the Icons were very accurate and are just what I am looking for in the clubs covering the 125-155 yard range.  And while I’ll say I definitely added yards to my mid irons with the PTx Pro’s, it was their accuracy that had me smiling the most.  

Mishits with the Icons were as expected with a loss of 10 yards or so and a weak fade.  The PTx Pro’s miss resulted in low shots with a definite loss of spin.   The PTx Pro was also a bit tough to keep low.  They just want to fly high.

As for the UIHI, that is the club that let me down most.   The UIHI kept launching lower than the  PTX Pro 5-iron with much less spin.  I’m not sure if it was the fact that Hogan chooses to gap the long irons at 3/4” instead of 1/2’, but I couldn’t get anywhere near the height achieved with the PTx Pro 5-iron, and I hit more than my fair share fat with the UIHI.   If I had it to do again, I would have ordered the stock PTx Pro 4-iron instead of the UIHI.

On-Course Performance (25 out of 30 Points)

Once on the course, the clubs performed beautifully.   One concern was the transition between the Icon 8-iron and the PTx Pro 7-iron.  Fortunately, the transition is seamless both visually and in performance.  The heads are very similarly shaped with just a slightly thicker top line on the PTx Pro and distance gapping was spot on.  I had complete confidence standing over the ball with the 5-PW in my hand.

P1110760.jpeg.72a6b93723f2ec3739aa930590283ed7.jpeg

P1110761.jpeg.4cb193854e3f9bd3a7b25fbf7d84e2a2.jpeg

The UIHI ,however, was a bit of a crapshoot.  When hit well it is a 215 yard club for me but I could easily replace that yardage with a persimmon 4-wood and get a higher trajectory. 

Miscellaneous (8 out of 10 Points)

One of the concerns with a small direct-to-consumer company is the customer service.  Email communication was a bit slow when I contacted them about some Equalizer wedges.  I’d say this is one of the trade offs of buying from a smaller Direct-to-consumer company.  The pitching wedge in my set also had some sloppy assembly with epoxy on the hosel and a slight gap between the hosel and ferrule, which also showed some damage on arrival.

IMG_2659.jpeg.821ee6951c06dfb4657b9abbe41af692.jpeg

Play It or Trade It (20 out of 20 points)

Once I ditched the graphite shaft experiment, these clubs came alive.   For someone like me that doesn’t keep up on the latest equipment releases, the Player’s Combo Set is the perfect blend of technology and tradition that can stay in the bag for years to come. 

When it comes to value, none of the big names can touch the Ben Hogan Player’s Combo Set.  With a direct to consumer price of $785 these irons come in $200-$500 cheaper than comparable irons from competitors and equal or exceed performance.

P1110541.jpeg.da00ee3e28b8b93b6a7491947ff4e4bc.jpeg

Conclusion

If you are looking for a set of player’s irons, look no further than the Ben Hogan Player’s Combo Set.  In streamlining their business model, the Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Co. has been able to deliver high quality, forged clubs at a significantly lower price than their competitors.

Final Score (88 out of 100 Points)

P1110683.jpeg

P1110676.jpeg

Nice review Deejaid, its interesting that the 4UiHi didn't work for you. But super glad the correct shafts turned into a positive set of Stix! But of course you realize you broke the 90's streak, haha. I wonder about the PtxPro 4 Iron myself, as I hit the 5 iron so well. But Ive never been a good 4 iron hitter, so the UiHi has been a good addition for me. One problem with the Hogan Co is that they won't sell a single 4 iron PtxPro for some reason. hmmmm. Maybe for the sake of the testing, they might sell me one???

Nice review Deejaid, its interesting that the 4UiHi didn't work for you. But super glad the correct shafts turned into a positive set of Stix! But of course you realize you broke the 90's streak, haha. I wonder about the PtxPro 4 Iron myself, as I hit the 5 iron so well. But Ive never been a good 4 iron hitter, so the UiHi has been a good addition for me. One problem with the Hogan Co is that they won't sell a single 4 iron PtxPro for some reason. hmmmm. Maybe for the sake of the testing, they might sell me one???

Yeah, the Dynamic Golds are working out great. I added some Pro Soft inserts down the shafts to dampen vibrations as I am still feeling that elbow pain a bit.

Two decisions I was torn over when we submitted our specs for the clubs was the shaft and the choice of 4-iron. You may recall I messaged the group of testers and asked what everyone was ordering for their 4-iron which for most turned out to be the UIHI. I thought I’d order the regular PTx Pro 4-iron just so we’d have some variety in the review but I gave into the promise of an easier to hit 4-iron replacement. But again, I don’t think the PTx Pro’s even need a 4-iron replacement, they are so easy to launch long and high already.

And yes, I thought of emailing Hogan about buying a a PTx 4-iron too, but didn’t want to hassle them anymore after the reshaft. I’d gladly pay for it though if they sold a single 4-iron.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

44 minutes ago, deejaid said:

And yes, I thought of emailing Hogan about buying a a PTx 4-iron too, but didn’t want to hassle them anymore after the reshaft. I’d gladly pay for it though if they sold a single 4-iron.

I emailed them and asked, and I also asked about a 7 iron icon, as I thought that could be awesome as I love the Icons, and I’m quite sure that would be a better split point for me...

we’ll see what they say...

I emailed them and asked, and I also asked about a 7 iron icon, as I thought that could be awesome as I love the Icons, and I’m quite sure that would be a better split point for me...
we’ll see what they say...

I believe they don’t really offer single clubs, it is all sets, to keep costs down. So I could see them not offering a 7-Iron Icon because that would be part of an Icon set. But the 4-iron is a different story. There should be single PTx Pro 4-irons available as many that have bought the Combo Sets did so without the matching 4-iron but the UIHI or VKTR hybrid in its place.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

Im at the other end of the spectrum. I would like to buy an Icon Black PW. It will take some black magic to get that done though.
It wasnt easy to get heads only.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

well they haven't replied yet, so I don't have a NO yet haha, but no YES either...

Im hitting them so well with now, actually everything. I think it might be my new swing is finally taking roots. I should post a video on what I'm doing for the swing gurus to analyze, but then I might not want to know if I'm doing something wrong, because right now it seems so right! 

Haha, isn't that like a country song or something?

Another day of good Hogan play. I wanted to really hit the 4UiHi a lot today to make sure that I really liked it, as I don't really hit it that often really.

Sooo, yes, I like it. It's a perfect club for longer par 5 second shots, that goes an average of say 180 yards. It puts me into a good scoring iron position most of the time. I find that it seems to be a very soft hit rather than a hard clicker, and its easy to maneuver and flight. I haven't heard from Hogan yet on my email, so still standing by on that....

Got in a full loop with the half set this afternoon. Top-to-bottom: Cobra S9-1 Pro 3-wood; Ben Hogan ICON 5/7/9 irons; Cleveland 588 49*/56*; Bobby Grace NYC Tour.

12/14 Fwy; 16/18 GIR; 32 Putts (-2)

The breakdown on the other 38 shots: Hit the ICON 5-iron (7) times today... (8) counting my second shot on the opening Par-5 that directly smacked the high tension transmission line crossing the fairway and nearly landed at my feet. But I only hit one chippy 7-iron into the breeze from 150. (5) 9-irons all solid and inside 2 feet from 155 on the 18th. (12) 3-woods, all tee balls. (11) wedges all outside 80 yards. Plus one chip and one putt from the fringe.

Pretty even mix of knock downs and high hard ones to cover the gaps and the ICONs performed more than adequately. Only missed GIRs were both stepped on gap wedges and one of those was less than a foot into the collar.

It was interesting having fewer options to consider throughout the round and the setup definitely demanded a more decisive swing in several scenarios. Intentionally worked the 5-iron hard in both directions a few times. Surprised to only have one blemish on the card. Didn’t have any expectations standing on the first tee and it ended up being a stress free day.

The two biggest takeaways: 1. I love these ICONs more and more. 2. Pleasantly surprised how much less energy I expended shouldering the sub-10 pound single strap quiver compared to a fully loaded push cart.

Had you suggested that I could have a below average day on the greens and still notch an easy red number with a half set, I probably would have rolled my eyes. Well... to the contrary, it was an eye (the third one) opening and very satisfying experience.

Perhaps it’s time to upgrade the Sunday bag?

A3FD8DE8-5823-4813-BB56-4F859D9DE270.jpeg.fbba989f53639944894249634b7a58d9.jpeg

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

fired a super solid 68, -3 this morning, with 4 birdies. Icon 8 iron was sick today for some reason and left me 3 kick in birdies. 5 and 6 irons also contributed with some longer shots getting onto the putting surface. First day with the Mav SZ, and it was solid, but really very close in distance to the SIM, maybe 5-10 yards on perfect hits?

Good news from Hogan about my request to get a PtxPro 4 iron to test against the 4UiHi. They said yes, but, Like Deejaid suggested, no 7 iron Icon separately, boo hoo for me. I would've loved for them to make a custom combo as an option so a player could create his own split point from the Icons to the PtxPro's. I think for myself, id have made the split at the 7 iron. But, who knew the Icons were going to be so dang sweet right? 

Anyways, looking forward to adding the 4 PtxPro into the mix to compare with the 4UiHi. That should be a great shootout. The funny thing is that I wouldn't ever have really considered the 4 iron, but who knew the longer irons were going to be so easy to get up into the air? Like the #2 hole this morning. I was 165 out, uphill, cool and wet. Pulled out the 5 iron and just tried to put a solid baby cut smooth swing on it, and the ball just soared and softly landed on the front apron. Almost rolled it in, but happily took the easy par. Even #1 hole was  about 10 feet short, with a deep blue pin way in the back. I chipped with the Icon pw, and sank a 12 footer to save par. I usually bogie the first 3 holes because they're a pretty brutal opening, and getting out even par after them is a blessing. Then 4 (par 5) Icon pw was over the pin and spun back to 6 feet, which got poured in for the first bird of the day, and -1 thru 4, and I knew it was gunna be a good day. and it was...

I love this game

Who knew? But I took a few rolls with it, and it was easy to use... I want to buy it from the guy...

9E7DB84F-BF13-4382-99E1-B882195AF30B.jpeg.887336d4f696649fba27c2ca497909ee.jpeg0AA42340-0EB8-4E07-BDE9-DE498486B707.jpeg.3f8dbb2b6bfc6412225144ae09c44dad.jpeg

Had a 160 yd straight into a stiff 2+ club wind. Pulled out the 4UiHi, and got a great contact swing on it, and got it on the green. Missed the birds putt tho. 
but that’s gotta be the hardest par 5 in the county. Not that long, but dead into a hard wind, and needing to nail a 4 iron for the 3rd shot to get on is crazy.

fired a super solid 68, -3 this morning, with 4 birdies. Icon 8 iron was sick today for some reason and left me 3 kick in birdies. 5 and 6 irons also contributed with some longer shots getting onto the putting surface. First day with the Mav SZ, and it was solid, but really very close in distance to the SIM, maybe 5-10 yards on perfect hits?
Good news from Hogan about my request to get a PtxPro 4 iron to test against the 4UiHi. They said yes, but, Like Deejaid suggested, no 7 iron Icon separately, boo hoo for me. I would've loved for them to make a custom combo as an option so a player could create his own split point from the Icons to the PtxPro's. I think for myself, id have made the split at the 7 iron. But, who knew the Icons were going to be so dang sweet right? 
Anyways, looking forward to adding the 4 PtxPro into the mix to compare with the 4UiHi. That should be a great shootout. The funny thing is that I wouldn't ever have really considered the 4 iron, but who knew the longer irons were going to be so easy to get up into the air? Like the #2 hole this morning. I was 165 out, uphill, cool and wet. Pulled out the 5 iron and just tried to put a solid baby cut smooth swing on it, and the ball just soared and softly landed on the front apron. Almost rolled it in, but happily took the easy par. Even #1 hole was  about 10 feet short, with a deep blue pin way in the back. I chipped with the Icon pw, and sank a 12 footer to save par. I usually bogie the first 3 holes because they're a pretty brutal opening, and getting out even par after them is a blessing. Then 4 (par 5) Icon pw was over the pin and spun back to 6 feet, which got poured in for the first bird of the day, and -1 thru 4, and I knew it was gunna be a good day. and it was...
I love this game

Great round Sluggo and great news about the PTx Pro 4-iron. I am going to have to give them a call about getting on myself.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

Who knew? But I took a few rolls with it, and it was easy to use... I want to buy it from the guy...
9E7DB84F-BF13-4382-99E1-B882195AF30B.jpeg.887336d4f696649fba27c2ca497909ee.jpeg0AA42340-0EB8-4E07-BDE9-DE498486B707.jpeg.3f8dbb2b6bfc6412225144ae09c44dad.jpeg

I remember when those came out in the early 2000’s. I really wanted one as I was playing the Hogan Apex irons and Hogan wedges at the time. Never got one though.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

2 hours ago, deejaid said:

Great round Sluggo and great news about the PTx Pro 4-iron. I am going to have to give them a call about getting on myself.

I asked for an invoice so I could pay them immediately, but was probably too late before the big long weekend. But I sure got a super nice hit with the 4UiHi yesterday... that’ll be a great shoot out

Great results by everyone, and thanks for keeping the conversation going.

As a teaser for the rest of the forum....we may not be done with Hogan testing yet 😃😄

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12