TESTERS WANTED! ×

2020 Official Member Review: Ben Hogan Icon & PTX Pro/Icon Combo Irons

I am here this morning to throw a little love at the Equalizer wedges. I finally have my half wedge shot distances dialed in. Driver didn’t cooperate the other day, and instead of trying hero shots out of a collection of some of the worst lies I have ever seen, I just punched out to 40-50 yards away from the green in the fairway. These wedges are money with the V sole. Tight lies....fluffy lies....sand.....they perform. I was able to get up and down for par multiple times.....you will break a competitors spirit doing that in match play!

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

4 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Great results by everyone, and thanks for keeping the conversation going.

As a teaser for the rest of the forum....we may not be done with Hogan testing yet 😃😄

The drama continues!

Right Handed. 

Its always hard for me to be back out to sea during this time of year. The weather is near perfect and the courses are at peak conditions.
But now the thought of the Hogan's are just making it worse. The feel and control have just borrowed into my head. The lingering memory of a perfectly struck shot. I was just truly getting them dialed in when I had to leave. Every swing seemed to reveal a little more about them. That perfect knock down. A soft controlled draw. A 4 iron that just wants to go forever. A PW that went exactly 125 to leave me a pin high tap in.
I hit a lot of different clubs but these have captured my attention like nothing else. I know part of it is the shafts but I know what the PTMs can do.. these are simply next level.
Don't let the smallish heads intimidate you either. The shorter blade length is surprisingly forgiving once you groove them. These can make a Maltby head seem huge and that was the biggest transition I had in these.
Even though I got these at a big discount for heads only, the retail set is a massive bargain. Playing components exclusively for years makes me allergic to OEM prices. This is 'THE ONLY' OEM club I would consider paying full price for.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

On 9/7/2020 at 5:45 AM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Great results by everyone, and thanks for keeping the conversation going.

As a teaser for the rest of the forum....we may not be done with Hogan testing yet 😃😄

ooohhhh, and the crowd gasps!

And its TRUE! Im getting a PtxPro 4 iron to compete with the 4UiHi, and will have a very thorough battle betwixt the two. I also tried to buy a separate 7 ICON, but was shot down for that nugget of gold.... but todays performance from the PtxPro 7 iron was its way of saying, "you don't need the ICON, I've got your back"!!

Thank you CG2 for the lead in, I was going to have a "breaking News" press release, will now just relax and wait for the club to arrive...

cheers!

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Shot a +1 72 today, and while the Hogans obviously held up their end of the bargain, famously I might add, but the overall star of todays round was the MavriK SZ, wow.

But I have to admit the 6 and 7 PtxPro irons were big today. One of the things I'm loving about the Hogans up and down the whole lineup, is the way the ball soars, and Ive got to assume its partially from the recoils shafts. My old Mizuno's on steel 115 gram shafts were very low trajectories, always. I never got the amazing ball flights the Hogans give. Majestic to say the least. But easy to knock down when needed. But the 7 iron to 150, and the 6 iron to 163ish, were just awesome today, or I should say, as usual...

I’ve been unable to get out to even the range in nearly a week. Between 112* temps Fri-Sunday and ash raining from the sky, getting on the course has been impossible.

Woke to this sky yesterday. This pic was taken from my backyard at 9:00...........am!

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

4 hours ago, deejaid said:

I’ve been unable to get out to even the range in nearly a week. Between 112* temps Fri-Sunday and ash raining from the sky, getting on the course has been impossible.

Woke to this sky yesterday. This pic was taken from my backyard at 9:00...........am!

man, its a polar bear in a snowstorm! 

Got out to the range today as it has cleared up a bit. The Icons are such a delight to hit. The PTx Pro’s are great too but the Icon is on another level. I’d love to have the Icon 6-PW, and the 4-5 be the PTx Pro.

I hope to get out for a round Saturday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

2 hours ago, deejaid said:

Got out to the range today as it has cleared up a bit. The Icons are such a delight to hit. The PTx Pro’s are great too but the Icon is on another level. I’d love to have the Icon 6-PW, and the 4-5 be the PTx Pro.

I hope to get out for a round Saturday.

Agreed. I’m trying to talk them into letting the players choose their split point, but without any luck. I would probably go with the 7 as my cutoff...

but yes, icons are candy

Two more rounds in today. 76 and a 73 in the wind. Anytime I can control my ball the way I want to in the wind I know I am hitting the ball very well. The PW gave me three easy birdies.....drop and stop....short putt. Makes the game look very simple. I encourage everyone to try these clubs if you are in the market. 

Right Handed. 

shot well again today-

Im guessing anyone who plays nearly everyday should shoot well eh?

I love hitting these irons as y'all know, but I wanted to talk about one shot today that I really liked. It was about 175 yds off a wet fairway, about 8 AM. Pin was way in back. If I hit a great 5 iron when its a little warmer it could get there, but the cool morning made me decide to hit the 4UiHi. So, I saddled up to the ball and waggled a bit as I do, and to a nice healthy swat at it. the ball soared up into the sky and dropped onto the green, and rolled past about 6 feet for a easy birdie putt that I missed. But the 4UiHi did its job beautifully. Its a great stick.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2020 at 6:18 PM, Sluggo42 said:

shot well again today-

Im guessing anyone who plays nearly everyday should shoot well eh?

I love hitting these irons as y'all know, but I wanted to talk about one shot today that I really liked. It was about 175 yds off a wet fairway, about 8 AM. Pin was way in back. If I hit a great 5 iron when its a little warmer it could get there, but the cool morning made me decide to hit the 4UiHi. So, I saddled up to the ball and waggled a bit as I do, and to a nice healthy swat at it. the ball soared up into the sky and dropped onto the green, and rolled past about 6 feet for a easy birdie putt that I missed. But the 4UiHi did its job beautifully. Its a great stick.

Have you received your PTX-Pro 4-iron yet? If so, how does it compare to the UiHi?

I'm eager to read how they stack up, because I may pull the trigger on a combo set this year. I'm still gaming my 2000 Ben Hogan Apex Plus irons with Apex S-4 flex shafts, 115 grams, manufactured by Royal Precision. Tyler @ Ben Hogan recommended the KBS-Tour V's, S-flex, for me. I wouldn't mind flighting my mid-irons a little higher, but I like my short-iron trajectories right now.

Maybe I should demo an 8-iron in both ICON and PTX-Pro?

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Blade #2
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

6 hours ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

Have you received your PTX-Pro 4-iron yet? If so, how does it compare to the UiHi?

I'm eager to read how they stack up, because I may pull the trigger on a combo set this year. I'm still gaming my 2000 Ben Hogan Apex Plus irons with Apex S-4 flex shafts, 115 grams, manufactured by Royal Precision. Tyler @ Ben Hogan recommended the KBS-Tour V's, S-flex, for me. I wouldn't mind flighting my mid-irons a little higher, but I like my short-iron trajectories right now.

For the price, I honestly cannot find a better value among any clubs right now.  Top to bottom, this set plays, feels and flights as consistently and as good as anything I have ever bagged.

You really cannot go wrong. Hit up that demo and give it a shot.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

6 hours ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

I haven’t heard yet, but I reached out today, but it’s late Friday, so probably won’t hear anything till next week.

not a bad idea to demo both, you’re right at the index where it’s a toss up on the icons, or a full set of the PTXPro’s.

i had the full set of the PtxPros and absolutely loved them before I got the combo set on the recoils. But I’ve also got years of blades experience and so the Icons in the scoring irons were a no-brainer for me.

now, the 4UiHi is an absolute gem. I’ve never been really able to hit a 4 iron with any amount of confidence until this thing fell I to my bag. It’s so versatile and easy to hit, it’s kinda stoopid. For me, as I’m not a long hitter anymore, it fills the 170-190 gap, and actually depending on what you want to do, like a low bullet under a tree, or like a putter that just needs to go over a few feet of crap then roll out on a green...

I get incredibly majestic soaring flights with my 5 iron, and I’m very curious what the 4 iron will do... I hope that gives you a little help?

It’s been a little over 3 weeks since I have been able to hit the ICONs. My back is slowly getting better but it’s still a tenuous situation.

Anyway, the weather this afternoon was too cherry to resist so I lugged the half set out for 9 holes: 5-7-9 ICON; 3 wood; GW/SW & putter.

6/7 Fwy; 8/9 GIR (-2) with bookend birdies and no blemishes.

Didn’t go hard at a single shot and made it look easy... except for all the gingerly stooping to pick up the Sunday bag, put a peg in the ground, mark my ball, etc. My back feels crummy so I’ll probably shut it down for another couple weeks and focus on rehab. (-5) the last 27 holes with the half set, may be onto something. Frustrated I can’t get out more while the weather is so perfect.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

9 hours ago, downlowkey said:

It’s been a little over 3 weeks since I have been able to hit the ICONs. My back is slowly getting better but it’s still a tenuous situation.

Anyway, the weather this afternoon was too cherry to resist so I lugged the half set out for 9 holes: 5-7-9 ICON; 3 wood; GW/SW & putter.

6/7 Fwy; 8/9 greens (-2) with bookend birdies and no blemishes.

Didn’t go hard at a single shot and made it look easy... except for all the gingerly stooping to pick up the Sunday bag, put a peg in the ground, mark my ball, etc. My back feels crummy so I’ll probably shut it for another couple weeks and focus on rehab. (-5) the last 27 holes with the half set, may be onto something. Frustrated I can’t get out more while the weather is so perfect.

Same dude, same.  Great playing...I like how your'e playing the "Sunday setup"...I'm liking that and thinking its the best way for me to ease back into it.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

21 hours ago, downlowkey said:

6/7 Fwy; 8/9 GIR (-2) with bookend birdies and no blemishes.

Didn’t go hard at a single shot and made it look easy... except for all the gingerly stooping to pick up the Sunday bag, put a peg in the ground, mark my ball, etc. My back feels crummy so I’ll probably shut it for another couple weeks and focus on rehab. (-5) the last 27 holes with the half set, may be onto something. Frustrated I can’t get out more while the weather is so perfect.

12 hours ago, bens197 said:

Same dude, same.  Great playing...I like how your'e playing the "Sunday setup"...I'm liking that and thinking its the best way for me to ease back into it.

wow you two!!! What the heck is going on?

Fortunately, Im not having back issues so I can keep playing everyday. Bought a 4 PtxPro to compare with the 4UiHi, so not sure how soon that will be here.

Playing well though, and still loving the Hogans, especially with the new MavriK driver and the new Cobra 3 wood.

Hope y'all mend up soon and get back out there before the snow starts falling... 

1 hour ago, Sluggo42 said:

wow you two!!! What the heck is going on?

Fortunately, Im not having back issues so I can keep playing everyday. Bought a 4 PtxPro to compare with the 4UiHi, so not sure how soon that will be here.

Playing well though, and still loving the Hogans, especially with the new MavriK driver and the new Cobra 3 wood.

Hope y'all mend up soon and get back out there before the snow starts falling... 

I wish I knew. PT is going really well and I’ve onlY missed a single shift at work. There is a 9 hole executive that’s 2 mins from my house. I’m loving what @downlowkey is doing with the Sunday bag and it’s be a perfect test to see how I feel. 

Glad you’re doing well. You’ve been going LOW lately which is awesome.  

Im confident this thread will have life many months from now 😊

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

17 hours ago, bens197 said:

Thanks pards. I have really enjoyed my experience with the amended set so far. It’s super light and that’s a plus for my hinky back, but it’s also had an impact on my overall expectations, shot selection process and target related decisions.

It’s weird, I’m not expecting to score well but at the same time eager to see what sort of goofy shot selections I’ll face. The limited club options don’t necessarily force me to work it both ways, but when you have entirely too much club in your hands, turning a chippy knockdown fade 7-iron into a flippy pull is an absolute disaster.

So the potential misses are huge and that somehow encourages more decisive swings? I’m still figuring it out...

I’m glad your PT has you on the right track and look forward to hearing your experience with a ‘Sunday setup’.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

On 9/29/2020 at 5:40 PM, bens197 said:

I wish I knew. PT is going really well and I’ve onlY missed a single shift at work. There is a 9 hole executive that’s 2 mins from my house. I’m loving what @downlowkey is doing with the Sunday bag and it’s be a perfect test to see how I feel. 

Glad you’re doing well. You’ve been going LOW lately which is awesome.  

Im confident this thread will have life many months from now 😊

PB today of a -6 , 65...😎

New swing is paying off, but its a simple change, just swinging hands higher on backswing, instead of so flat, ala Ricky.

8 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

PB today of a -6 , 65...😎

New swing is paying off, but its a simple change, just swinging hands higher on backswing, instead of so flat, ala Ricky.

What a year for you. Can you guys play year round or do the courses get a break for cooler temps?

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

Man, it’s great to hear how well you guys are hitting the Hogan’s. I was really enjoying them as well, but it’s now been two weeks since I’ve swung a club. The air here has been so bad from wildfire smoke you can’t stand to be outside for more than a few minutes.

With COVID at least I could get the kids out for a walk or a hike, or even get them on the course. Now we are really trapped in our house.

I’ll be glad when this year is over.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

• 2 weeks later...

FYI, Ben Hogan just announced you can get custom shaft and grips through fairway jockey on all their sets.

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

On 10/1/2020 at 8:14 PM, bens197 said:

What a year for you. Can you guys play year round or do the courses get a break for cooler temps?

yes, all year. I probably have averaged ~220 rounds per year for the last few years. I love winter golf, because I can wear long pants for a few months... A cold winter morning might be 48 degrees, a cold afternoon might be 55-60 degrees.

I'm probably around 70 rounds in now, and would like to make a comment on the Lamkin Z-5 grips. They appear virtually new still. In addition to the ~70 rounds, you could also include endless buckets of balls. I think I've probably got around 3000 strikes with these irons, and still no appreciable wear.

My new MavriK driver has a Dri-tec grip, and Ive already worn a hole in the right thumb spot. Thats in less than a month!

So anyways, it's more of a statement about Hogans decision to use the Z5 grips, rather than another statement about their irons. But I have found that these grips are very, very good. So, just another good decision by the Hogan company..

And lastly, no, I still haven't gotten my 4 PtxPro... dad-gummit!

18 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

yes, all year. I probably have averaged ~220 rounds per year for the last few years. I love winter golf, because I can wear long pants for a few months... A cold winter morning might be 48 degrees, a cold afternoon might be 55-60 degrees.

That's our fall season and to be honest, like you it's also my favorite time to play.  If the rain stays away tomorrow, I may sneak out for 9 and test out my back.  Fingers crossed...

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

On 10/14/2020 at 3:54 PM, Sluggo42 said:

I'm probably around 70 rounds in now, and would like to make a comment on the Lamkin Z-5 grips. They appear virtually new still. In addition to the ~70 rounds, you could also include endless buckets of balls. I think I've probably got around 3000 strikes with these irons, and still no appreciable wear.

The Lamkin Z-5's look a lot like GP's MCC grips, but at a better price. I've got their UTx cord grips in my wedges and they've held up nicely, too. I may switch to Lamkins, moving forward, and save a few bucks on re-gripping.

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Blade #2
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

As mentioned in the review, I plan to swap the KBS Tour V for Nippon Modus 120’s. The ferrules arrived from a SSC / BB&FCo collab so I’m ready to start the process. 

The Tour V’s are going to be re-homed in my 15 year old PING i5’s which I expect will offer them a well deserved new life. 

I’ll share my progress; I’m not going to rip through this but I am excited to keep you all in the loop. 

FE895C9D-151A-4E60-8697-E9680704FDDD.jpeg

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

It was blowing pretty hard today but the Hogans ripped right through it. Extra Iron each way, no problem...

On 10/16/2020 at 6:03 AM, bens197 said:

As mentioned in the review, I plan to swap the KBS Tour V for Nippon Modus 120’s. The ferrules arrived from a SSC / BB&FCo collab so I’m ready to start the process. 

The Tour V’s are going to be re-homed in my 15 year old PING i5’s which I expect will offer them a well deserved new life. 

I’ll share my progress; I’m not going to rip through this but I am excited to keep you all in the loop. 

FE895C9D-151A-4E60-8697-E9680704FDDD.jpeg

Looking forward to hearing about your results with this shaft swap... Wish I had the confidence to try these types of things ...