Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

2020 Official Member Review: Ben Hogan Icon & PTX Pro/Icon Combo Irons

1 hour ago, newballcoach said:

I am refinishing and building a classic set of Hogan Apex's

Pictures, please!

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I was able to play my combo's with the Nippon Modus' install before the season ended.  It was an awesome Western NY Fall day with mid 60's and overcast.  Shot 37 with a bogey, double and two birdies.  4/7 fairways, 6/9 greens and 16 putts.  

I would love to offer some feedback about the shaft differences (Modus V Tour V) but the sample is just too small.  There certainly were highlights; I was pleased with the ball fight and trajectory and there is something magical about how the ball holds its line with these shafts.  Next season if anyone is still following along, I'll gladly share.  

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

22 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Pictures, please!

Don't want to take away from this thread, I'll post one once I get the job done. Might be a few months but I probably should not have said refinishing. It's really just cleaning some rust off of the faces, giving them some polish and re-shafting them.

2 iron to E wedge. Still looking on ebay for the 1 iron Hogan Apex Grind.

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

On 11/10/2020 at 2:36 PM, rbsiedsc said:

with your solid streak of low scores, how much have the Hogan's dropped your cap?

well I think Im around a 3.3 now, from a 4.7, but I can't say that its the hogans alone that have done all the work. I would say that the Mavric has been helpful, and a slight swing change of getting the backswing higher has been very good too, and all that while playing 4-5 times a week as well. There are just so many facets to the game, and iron play is just one of them. I would also add that I think the Recoil stiff shafts are playing a part as well. they really suit my game.

Honestly, I think that Im finally just starting to understand my swing, and just starting to hit some real quality shots. Its like the 10,000 hour rule. whether it be a musical instrument, or an athletic endeavor, or whatever, you finally start getting a real clue after you've got your 10,000 hours in. And oddly it comes and goes in spurts. Many things are working well at the moment, except the driver hasn't been as steady as I would like.

I think the Hogans are just a really solid club that performs well when you're playing well. little things about the club really seem to suit my game like the v-sole, the recoil shafts, the size, the way its built, etc. I think that its just one of a number of really well built  clubs out there today, who knows, maybe had I been on the titles t100s testing group, I might be singing the praises about that stick.

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

On 11/11/2020 at 4:00 PM, bens197 said:

I was able to play my combo's with the Nippon Modus' install before the season ended.  It was an awesome Western NY Fall day with mid 60's and overcast.  Shot 37 with a bogey, double and two birdies.  4/7 fairways, 6/9 greens and 16 putts.  

I would love to offer some feedback about the shaft differences (Modus V Tour V) but the sample is just too small.  There certainly were highlights; I was pleased with the ball fight and trajectory and there is something magical about how the ball holds its line with these shafts.  Next season if anyone is still following along, I'll gladly share.  

Considering we play almost the exact same driver/shaft combo (mine is a 6.0) I'd love to hear about that feedback when you get the chance. Both of those shafts are ones I am hoping to test out, so you have at least one interested party!

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

32 minutes ago, newballcoach said:

Considering we play almost the exact same driver/shaft combo (mine is a 6.0) I'd love to hear about that feedback when you get the chance. Both of those shafts are ones I am hoping to test out, so you have at least one interested party!

Absolutely...one round was affirmation that I made the correct choice but I want a larger sample to offer better feedback.  These iron shafts changed so much for me and my only regret is I didn't switch earlier.

Big fan of the EF Black so far.  I switched from the HZRDUS Yellow, not a 180 but significant enough where the feel is so much better and much more responsive.  I left it at 45.5" and so far no issues.  The missed fairways for me are first cut; the giant misses have been significantly reduced.  

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Icon PW at address...

icon.jpg

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

amazing. then you can teach the rest of us over Zoom. Classes coming to a computer near you.

Driver - :callaway-small: Mavrik w/ Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 60X

3-Wood - :taylormade-small: RocketBallz 3 HL

Hybrid - :callaway-small: Apex 2 w/ Kuro Kage 65g Stiff

Irons - :callaway-small: Steelhead XR's w/ KBS Tour-V 90 - 5-PW, AW - Stiff

Wedges - Kirkland Signature 52*, 56*, 60*

Putter -   default_taylormade-small.jpg.f51b0863b47c9f7d3e2ffc3583a5d3da.jpg  Spider S #1 Platinum/White

Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet Midsize

Ball - Srixon Z-star.....Q-Star in Spring and Fall

Jeremy Booth

Swing easy.

On 11/10/2020 at 9:21 AM, ZMendle10 said:

Great job on the reviews everyone. I have been mulling over testing both the Icons and the PTX Pros for quite some time and after reading the reviews I decided to pull the trigger.

I ordered a demo set of the PTX Pros with KBS Tour V X-Stiff and a set of Demos of the Icons with KBS Tour V Stiff Shafts to test out a potential combo set as well as the shafts. They should be arriving on Thursday and can't come soon enough.

Be interested to know how that goes for you.

Putter -   default_taylormade-small.jpg.f51b0863b47c9f7d3e2ffc3583a5d3da.jpg  Spider S #1 Platinum/White

Jeremy Booth

Swing easy.

1 hour ago, JerBooth said:

Be interested to know how that goes for you.

I've had them for a week so far and have been unable to give them much more practice other than on the range. Looks wise they live up to the hype and then some. I haven't been able to give much on performance lately as I have not been hitting them consistently. This part shaft and part me though as KBS shafts have never worked for me in the past and I tend to tinker with my swing but they were the only shaft close to my curent shaft weight. I will be taking them onto a trackman though in the near future to get distances and really spend time working with them.

However there does not seem to be any likelihood of these getting into my bag as the shaft options are not great for me but I would consider them if i were to get hit at club champion or someplace where I was getting fitted for a different shaft. 

Driver:  :titleist-small: TSR3 8°, set to A1, Graphite Design UB 7X 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small:SIM 3 Wood 15°, Aldila Rouge Silver 7X

3 Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 18°, Ventus Blue 8S

2 Utility: :srixon-small: ZX Utility, LA Golf Tour AXS Blue, (15th club)

4i-AW:  :srixon-small:ZX7, Tour Issue Dynamic Gold 120's S400

56°: :Sub70: TAIII, Dynamic Gold S400

60° :Sub70: TAIII, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :L.A.B.: Mezz1 Max

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour BX

Forum Reviews: 

:Sub70: Official Member Review Sub 70 TAIII Wedges

:Nippon: Official Member Review Zelos 7 Shaft Review

:vokey-small:Unofficial Vokey SM8 and Wedge & Wedge Works Review 

:srixon-small:Unofficial Srixon 2021 ZX7 Iron Review

:titleist-small: Unofficial TSR3 Review

1 hour ago, ZMendle10 said:

I've had them for a week so far and have been unable to give them much more practice other than on the range. Looks wise they live up to the hype and then some. I haven't been able to give much on performance lately as I have not been hitting them consistently. This part shaft and part me though as KBS shafts have never worked for me in the past and I tend to tinker with my swing but they were the only shaft close to my curent shaft weight. I will be taking them onto a trackman though in the near future to get distances and really spend time working with them.

However there does not seem to be any likelihood of these getting into my bag as the shaft options are not great for me but I would consider them if i were to get hit at club champion or someplace where I was getting fitted for a different shaft. 

That sucks about the shafts. Too bad the kbs shafts don't work for you. I'm the opposite, the KBS shafts work well for my swing in my irons. I have the tour V-90 Stiff shafts and my dispersion has tightened up tremendously.

It's too bad you couldn't have them changed out before you hit the Trackman. I wonder if theres a private fitter or a golf galaxy near you that could do something to help. Im sure you've explored that.

Let us know how it goes even if you don't get them switched out and hit the trackman. be curious to see the numbers

Jeremy Booth

Swing easy.

41 minutes ago, JerBooth said:

That sucks about the shafts. Too bad the kbs shafts don't work for you. I'm the opposite, the KBS shafts work well for my swing in my irons. I have the tour V-90 Stiff shafts and my dispersion has tightened up tremendously.

It's too bad you couldn't have them changed out before you hit the Trackman. I wonder if theres a private fitter or a golf galaxy near you that could do something to help. Im sure you've explored that.

Let us know how it goes even if you don't get them switched out and hit the trackman. be curious to see the numbers

It is very unfortunately but I was able to notice the tech in the PTX Pro really does work well in getting the ball up in the air. I have the X flex in the PTX pro and it actually launches much higher than the S flex in the Icons which I found interesting.

I can still add the numbers they would just be a very small sample size of decent shots if interested.

Forum Reviews: 

5 hours ago, ZMendle10 said:

I share your thoughts and installed Nippon Modus 120's last month.  Since then I've played them once and I am pleased with the results.  If they are on your radar, give them a shot if you chose to make it to CC.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

12 hours ago, bens197 said:

I share your thoughts and installed Nippon Modus 120's last month.  Since then I've played them once and I am pleased with the results.  If they are on your radar, give them a shot if you chose to make it to CC.

That's reassuring to hear. I live like an hour away from a CC so these are definitely on the list of irons to try again. Like I said I really want to like them but its hard to give them a fair shake without being fitted and with limited shaft options. 

Forum Reviews: 

7 hours ago, ZMendle10 said:

That's reassuring to hear. I live like an hour away from a CC so these are definitely on the list of irons to try again. Like I said I really want to like them but its hard to give them a fair shake without being fitted and with limited shaft options. 

I said this during my review and stand behind it to this day:

”these clubs are too good to be limited to just four shaft options.”

I am sure there is a fantastic reason why they chose this route but I still disagree with their logic.  Even with a “premium up-charge” they’re still priced well below anything even close to this calibre.  

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

10 minutes ago, bens197 said:

I am sure there is a fantastic reason why they chose this route but I still disagree with their logic.  Even with a “premium up-charge” they’re still priced well below anything even close to this calibre.  

The hope would be that over time they expand upon their shaft options but them being direct to Consumer for a majority of their business who knows.

Forum Reviews: 

1 hour ago, bens197 said:

Good point.  I suspect they were able to develop favorable pricing agreements with the shaft OEM's they offer but, with so many other popular and well liked shafts available now, it seems they have limited the buyer base.  As an example, if someone has a fitting done and a particular shaft stands out on multiple shortlist heads, they might be inclined to buy a single Hogan iron with that shaft for test.  Wait a minute... I think I just described my scenario 😆.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

• 1 month later...

@Erik-M and @downlowkey, how's the black finish holding up on the Icon irons?   

Figured it was worth bumping this thread since it's been a while! 😉

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

1 hour ago, B.Boston said:

@Erik-M and @downlowkey, how's the black finish holding up on the Icon irons?   

Figured it was worth bumping this thread since it's been a while! 😉

The DBM finish is absolutely pristine everywhere but the sweet spot and along the leading edge of the soles. And even in those areas that see the most wear they still look really good. I’d normally include some pics but my gamer bag is currently in TX. Looking forward to being reunited those beauties in the near future.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

26 minutes ago, downlowkey said:

The DBM finish is absolutely pristine everywhere but the sweet spot and along the leading edge of the soles. And even in those areas that see the most wear they still look really good. I’d normally include some pics but my gamer bag is currently in TX. Looking forward to being reunited those beauties in the near future.

Great news. Those irons look great and it’s even better if the finish holds up! A little wear around the sweet spot  never bothered me considering that means I’ve found it more than once! Haha

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

1 hour ago, B.Boston said:

Great news...A little wear around the sweet spot  never bothered me considering that means I’ve found it more than once! Haha

It makes alignment easier 🙂

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

5 minutes ago, bens197 said:

It makes alignment easier 🙂

And it scares people from betting against you. 😂

The PTx Pro is on my radar if I need to make the switch to graphite shafts due to health reasons. I currently play the Apex Edge Pro and love the irons. I could even reshaft the Edge Pros if need be. I figure the transition to the PTx would be seamless; the shaft transition is up in the air.

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

• 2 months later...

“Reunited and it feels so good”... but it can always be better.

0FF63F28-EFB7-4513-A4FF-0097A25A2284.jpeg.2e7ed5f5e532c65a3c8324af76d36b31.jpeg

Now that I’m once again a Texas resident and back in possession of these forged babies, the firm turf is wreaking havoc on my elbows. Enter @PokeForeLyfe last week with a super sweet deal on one of my all time favorite shafts... what a pal! So it will soon be out with the KBS Tour-V 110 steel and in with the mythical Matrix Ozik Program 130 hexadecagonal graphite goodness.

Looking forward to putting this combo through the ringer and reporting the results here in the official review thread. Lemme know if you have any lingering questions about the beautiful buttery Ben Hogan ICONs.

Maxfli___'23 Tour X

• 2 months later...
On 3/22/2021 at 4:08 PM, downlowkey said:

“Reunited and it feels so good”... but it can always be better.

0FF63F28-EFB7-4513-A4FF-0097A25A2284.jpeg.2e7ed5f5e532c65a3c8324af76d36b31.jpeg

Now that I’m once again a Texas resident and back in possession of these forged babies, the firm turf is wreaking havoc on my elbows. Enter @PokeForeLyfe last week with a super sweet deal on one of my all time favorite shafts... what a pal! So it will soon be out with the KBS Tour-V 110 steel and in with the mythical Matrix Ozik Program 130 hexadecagonal graphite goodness.

Looking forward to putting this combo through the ringer and reporting the results here in the official review thread. Lemme know if you have any lingering questions about the beautiful buttery Ben Hogan ICONs.

As I’m still super happy with my hogans I thought I’d re-visit our review. A little swing change today really brought my combo set to life today that was super fun and really satisfying. My stiff recoils really seem to match my swing.

Downlowkey, how are the Ozik shafts in the Icons?

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Still loving these irons. This is the well-shaded first green of the local executive that I grew up on. It receives and rewards well struck irons 😊

5C66E664-D4C2-49EE-A11C-E04F9CEDE661.jpeg

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

On 5/24/2021 at 10:48 PM, Sluggo42 said:

Downlowkey, how are the Ozik shafts in the Icons?

I haven’t had a chance to swap them out yet. Also - the wind is always blowing 20+ mph down here in TX, so the mid-high launch characteristics of the Program 130 may prove to be problematic.

But I’m still absolutely loving the ICON Blacks.

Maxfli___'23 Tour X

I just ordered a set of the new EDGE EX irons. All the reviews I've read have been very positive and they are so similar to the Apex Edge Pros I played for years. I thought about waiting for the demo program, but decided to proceed with my purchase. I got the Recoil graphite shafts as my teacher suggested that would really help with my joint pain. Has anyone out there had a chance to try these? If so, please share your thoughts.

Drive for Show; Putt for Dough

• 1 month later...

Tested a ton of different clubs in the last several weeks (PTxPro, MIM Tour, 639CB, 902 Forged, MODB-1, MP-20 HMB, MP-20 MMC, JPX 919 Forged, JPX 919 Tour) and the PTxPros were the most consistent, for me, on Trackman along with the MODB-1s but the Hogans look much better (haha). Love the look and flight of them and only like the feel (obviously isn't as soft as a one piece forging) but feel is less important than performance. I think they do a very good job of slotting in between a player's distance iron and a player's cavity back. They offer better feel and feedback than a player's distance iron and more forgiveness on mishits than a one piece forged player's cavity back. They look sharp as well!

Would have to adjust a bit to the traditional lofts but surprisingly even though they are 4.5 degrees weaker than my current 7 iron they aren't a full club shorter, probably closer to half a club. And they are more responsive to flighting a ball down. Would highly recommend the demo program for anyone even a little bit curious. I am curious as to what the shorter irons play like since I think the construction changes between the 7 and 8 iron and there is talk about the CG moving up a bit to keep the ball from ballooning. I like the sound of that in theory but wonder if people see that in practice. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

33 minutes ago, vandyland said:

Tested a ton of different clubs in the last several weeks (PTxPro, MIM Tour, 639CB, 902 Forged, MODB-1, MP-20 HMB, MP-20 MMC, JPX 919 Forged, JPX 919 Tour) and the PTxPros were the most consistent, for me, on Trackman along with the MODB-1s but the Hogans look much better (haha). Love the look and flight of them and only like the feel (obviously isn't as soft as a one piece forging) but feel is less important than performance. I think they do a very good job of slotting in between a player's distance iron and a player's cavity back. They offer better feel and feedback than a player's distance iron and more forgiveness on mishits than a one piece forged player's cavity back. They look sharp as well!

Would have to adjust a bit to the traditional lofts but surprisingly even though they are 4.5 degrees weaker than my current 7 iron they aren't a full club shorter, probably closer to half a club. And they are more responsive to flighting a ball down. Would highly recommend the demo program for anyone even a little bit curious. I am curious as to what the shorter irons play like since I think the construction changes between the 7 and 8 iron and there is talk about the CG moving up a bit to keep the ball from ballooning. I like the sound of that in theory but wonder if people see that in practice. 

It's nice to hear you could actually get hands on and have some success with these irons.  

The essence of those who have played the complete PTx set was the shorter irons were a lower and more penetrating flight.  Rather than use tungsten in the sole like they did in long irons, they replaced that with titanium and raised the cg.  So yes, they should fly lower.

If you can, give the Combo set a shot with the Icon's in your short irons to see if they work for your game.

Good luck as you make your way though this process...

• Srixon Z-Star XV