Jump to content

2020 Official Member Review: Ben Hogan Icon & PTX Pro/Icon Combo Irons


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Erik-M said:

So, first round in, the sound of these blades are fantastic. They are the dullest amazing sounding irons ever! They were going close to 10 yards further then my ap2s. Nice high straight to 1 yard fades all day! Hit a6 iron from 174 into the wind, hit 3 yards past the pin and stopped on a dime. (Made the putt!) I had a tough time with the 4 iron. Hit out on the toe, the groove less part, and the feel wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but lost a lot of distance.  Need to dial strike in on 4 and 5 irons. With my ap2s my max on a pitching wedge prefectly struck was 140, and would usually pull 9 iron on a140 shot. However with these I had a149 pin and flew it just past on high and pulled it back a few feet, missed that putt however.  So far off the bat very pleased. More to come

How was compression in the hands overall on good and bad strikes? 

  • Like 2

Check out my reviews:

 :ping-small: G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small:  Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ I :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Erik-M said:

So, first round in, the sound of these blades are fantastic. They are the dullest amazing sounding irons ever! They were going close to 10 yards further then my ap2s. Nice high straight to 1 yard fades all day! Hit a6 iron from 174 into the wind, hit 3 yards past the pin and stopped on a dime. (Made the putt!) I had a tough time with the 4 iron. Hit out on the toe, the groove less part, and the feel wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but lost a lot of distance.  Need to dial strike in on 4 and 5 irons. With my ap2s my max on a pitching wedge prefectly struck was 140, and would usually pull 9 iron on a140 shot. However with these I had a149 pin and flew it just past on high and pulled it back a few feet, missed that putt however.  So far off the bat very pleased. More to come

What's the difference in loft between your AP2's and the Hogan's? 

It sounds like you had a good day with them, I saw where @GolfSpy MPR posted you swinging them on Twitter and I do have two more questions for you. Did he try hitting them and how bad did Kirke beat the two of you?

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, first round in, the sound of these blades are fantastic. They are the dullest amazing sounding irons ever! They were going close to 10 yards further then my ap2s. Nice high straight to 1 yard fades all day! Hit a6 iron from 174 into the wind, hit 3 yards past the pin and stopped on a dime. (Made the putt!) I had a tough time with the 4 iron. Hit out on the toe, the groove less part, and the feel wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but lost a lot of distance.  Need to dial strike in on 4 and 5 irons. With my ap2s my max on a pitching wedge prefectly struck was 140, and would usually pull 9 iron on a140 shot. However with these I had a149 pin and flew it just past on high and pulled it back a few feet, missed that putt however.  So far off the bat very pleased. More to come

Wow that’s awesome. I wasn’t expecting to see a distance gain versus the AP2s!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

How was compression in the hands overall on good and bad strikes? 

I couldn't feel much difference except on the 4 iron, felt not good but not as bad as I thought it would

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, B.Boston said:


Wow that’s awesome. I wasn’t expecting to see a distance gain versus the AP2s!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neither was I, they are older second hand ap2s. Plus I got these hogan's a degree flat and it might be from that.  Not sure I've never had a fitting to know if I needed it flattened, just went off my misses left with my ap2s

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

What's the difference in loft between your AP2's and the Hogan's? 

It sounds like you had a good day with them, I saw where @GolfSpy MPR posted you swinging them on Twitter and I do have two more questions for you. Did he try hitting them and how bad did Kirke beat the two of you?

Yeah had a bad first round off the tee, and hit some shots to try out the clubs that I normally wouldn't hit.  Shot 80 on my first 18, and 74 on my second 18, hit the irons even better my second round, and also played more typical shots the second time through, and hit better off the tee. 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Erik-M said:

Yeah had a bad first round off the tee, and hit some shots to try out the clubs that I normally wouldn't hit.  Shot 80 on my first 18, and 74 on my second 18, hit the irons even better my second round, and also played more typical shots the second time through, and hit better off the tee. 

Experimentation is one of the fun things about doing these reviews, so it's good you had a chance to try different things. Those are two pretty good scores and that 5 iron 203 into the wind, impressive. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good start @Erik-M I’ll be joining you guys when my grips arrive...a fair comparison means the same grip.  Sorry if that’s strange to some.

“Maybe he’s born with it, maybe it’s OCD!”

  • Like 4
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

 

Western, NY

5.7 Index

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Good start @Erik-M I’ll be joining you guys when my grips arrive...a fair comparison means the same grip.  Sorry if that’s strange to some.

“Maybe he’s born with it, maybe it’s OCD!”

my utx will be going on soon!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

Wow, so much new info and excitement!!!

I unfortunately cannot play until tomorrow boo hoooo.

but, here is the reason I was unavailable to play yesterday.....

 

36264ADC-DB21-4990-A642-374327FC4F35.jpeg.cd824cc5d19f594b63f5f82b8a559647.jpeg

Congratulations! I know this isn't a golf related question, but what was your winning weight? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

Congratulations! I know this isn't a golf related question, but what was your winning weight? 

21.48

second place was 20.07

then a bunch of 17’s and 18’s

the secret is that when summer days get long and hot, the bass go deeper and deeper. I was getting mine in 30-40 feet on dropshot worms. Had to fizz them all a few times

  • Like 5

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)
 

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

21.48

second place was 20.07

then a bunch of 17’s and 18’s

the secret is that when summer days get long and hot, the bass go deeper and deeper. I was getting mine in 30-40 feet on dropshot worms. Had to fizz them all a few times

That's a pretty good haul! I give you props for being able to catch them deep, I never was good with deep water fishing unless I was fishing for smallmouth in the winter. 

Good luck with the irons tomorrow, hopefully your skill with them will be up there with your fishing prowess. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...