Jump to content

2020 Official Member Review: Ben Hogan Icon & PTX Pro/Icon Combo Irons


Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

19 minutes ago, mikeanthony said:

I had the Nippon Modus 105 stiffs installed in my Taylormade M1 irons and I absolutely love them. They’re just incredibly smooth and feel great ... my game has improved significantly because of them. 

And at the moment, it’s my only compliant about the Ben Hogan site not having the Nippon Modus option. Additionally, they’re one of the few DTC golf companies that won’t sell the heads only. 😕 

Doesn’t surprise me that you’re enjoying the Hogans! 🙌🏼 

Modus shafts are the big winner for me this season.  I've said it 100 times and I will leave it at that.  I am glad you're enjoying as well!

Back to Hogans...I really am enjoying these clubs.  I think its absolutely fair to offer these criticisms of what they can do to improve not just as a club and its performance but strategically to improve or augment their business.  This is why I really have a tremendous amount of respect for Ben Hogan golf right now.  Not only are they a continued AND consistent contributor to member testing, they're readily accessible via email and phone.  There are other DTC companies that have earned a LOT of mileage out of MGS posts and haven't been nearly as willing to participate in testing; respect for Hogan.

I don't expect them to receive and implement each criticism but their willingness to seek feedback shows me that they are a mature and adaptable company who truly is in it for the long haul.  

 

 

  • Like 7
  • PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52, 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide
  • Oncore Elixr

 

Rochester, NY

5.6 Index

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Ben Hogan Company started in 1953. It was well known throughout the company that there was nobody that expected perfection more than Mr. Hogan; to say he was iconic is an understatement. Toda

Learning a new edit system during Covid so I cut together a little something.....    

Hello UIHI.... Is it hot out here or is it just you?

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Modus shafts are the big winner for me this season.  I've said it 100 times and I will leave it at that.  I am glad you're enjoying as well!

Back to Hogans...I really am enjoying these clubs.  I think its absolutely fair to offer these criticisms of what they can do to improve not just as a club and its performance but strategically to improve or augment their business.  This is why I really have a tremendous amount of respect for Ben Hogan golf right now.  Not only are they a continued AND consistent contributor to member testing, they're readily accessible via email and phone.  There are other DTC companies that have earned a LOT of mileage out of MGS posts and haven't been nearly as willing to participate in testing; respect for Hogan.

I don't expect them to receive and implement each criticism but their willingness to seek feedback shows me that they are a mature and adaptable company who truly is in it for the long haul.  

 

 

Well said.

Both we as a consumer and the game of golf, are all the more better off by having a company like Ben Hogan in the mix. 

I’ll also add, that I don’t carry any Hogans within my set at the moment ... but oh my goodness is their carry bag gorgeous! 🤩 

  • Like 5

The 🙌🏼

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, deejaid said:

 

 


Well, as a storyteller I wanted to try to make the review interesting. Truth be told, most of the reviews here on MGS aren’t very interesting and don’t connect with me. Most guys get a free set of clubs custom to their specs and rave about how good the clubs are without much or any negatives. That’s not to say that the reviewers do a bad job. I think the reviewers do a great job most of the time. But there needs to be some conflict in the review. The second act of the story needs to have some struggle for the final act to resolve with a good ending.

I could have got the Tour V shafts right away and been happy, but would that have helped the guy out there who like me is on the fence about whether or not they should switch to graphite for the first time? Not at all. Hopefully that guy will see the pluses and potential minuses of switching to a much lighter graphite shaft in my review without making a $800 purchase they later regret.

I view these reviews not as a free set of clubs built to my specs for everyone to read how much I love them, but as a way to take some chances at no cost and note both the good and bad so that other MGS Spies can be better informed when making their purchase.



I’ll try your idea of addressing the ball more towards the hosel, maybe that will work. But to me that seems to be a bandaid to use a shaft that doesn’t work instead of fixing the problem with a reshaft.




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

 

 

@deejaid - Been so busy over on #CCC4 that I missed your very awesome video work. Looking great! 

Enjoying this thread a lot now that I've caught up on it again. I agree, it's very telling that several of you have already made changes or are thinking of changes to your setup. One of the things I had noticed about Hogan versus say, Sub70, is that they truly are very limited in available options. I know Hogans are available through Club Champion now, which does greatly add to those shaft and grip options, but working with Club Champion will considerably drive up the cost beyond most major OEMs. Defeats the purpose of DTC, in my mind.

  • Like 8

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 9.7 (Last Updated Nov. 27, 2020)

Driver: cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to Draw), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 80 Hybrid Stiff
19° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone 4 Iron, 2° Flat, 39.75", X-Caliber Rapid Taper 75g Stiff
22° Hybrid:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING F8, 38.5", Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff
5-GW:  
maltby_logo.png.c889f4bebd3ab94fe9c37e77ba6c0c55.png Maltby PTM Chrome, 1° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" (54°), -1/4" (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3°
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: :Arccos: Arccos / Cobra Connect
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8

2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2020 at 9:16 AM, edingc said:

@deejaid - Been so busy over on #CCC4 that I missed your very awesome video work. Looking great! 

Enjoying this thread a lot now that I've caught up on it again. I agree, it's very telling that several of you have already made changes or are thinking of changes to your setup. One of the things I had noticed about Hogan versus say, Sub70, is that they truly are very limited in available options. I know Hogans are available through Club Champion now, which does greatly add to those shaft and grip options, but working with Club Champion will considerably drive up the cost beyond most major OEMs. Defeats the purpose of DTC, in my mind.

I've asked Hogan about purchasing club heads only - no luck.

Interesting that Hogan is now available at Club Champion, a purveyor of super-premium after market shafts. I've seen a guy get fitted there. Paralysis thru over-analysis and the fitter never did a comparison with his existing set-up. Always talked about incremental gains with their Gucci shaft offerings. Really a turn-off for me.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Blade #2
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

I've asked Hogan about purchasing club heads only - no luck.

Interesting that Hogan is now available at Club Champion, a purveyor of super-premium after market shafts. I've seen a guy get fitted there. Paralysis thru over-analysis and the fitter never did a comparison with his existing set-up. Always talked about incremental gains with their Gucci shaft offerings. Really a turn-off for me.

haha Gucci shafts...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

 :EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

image.jpeg.c407f6a1d3c313a36e8c736d010237d2.jpeg
 

new car right, don’t want anyone to see it...

keep it safe! A secret! Obviously something really special! Must cost a million!

 

A1DD5376-130C-45CF-8138-1118B9A11016.jpeg.69ec5e056b889ea3839fda01d25d0a60.jpeg

 

  • Like 5

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

 :EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Played a practice round today, no score keeping, playing 3-4 balls at a time, in order to really dig into these clubs on the Recoil f4's. Ive got a lot of things going on with my swing. Ive kind of adopted the Rahm//Finau type of swing. Obviously don't have that type of distance but its basically a shorter backswing, and a strong finish. I'm also about 1.5 months into a new exercise swimming program, which has shaved 10 lbs off so far as well,  to go along with the Recoil f4 graphite shafts. Sooooo, long story short, Im hitting them a little further, but I can't specifically put a finger on exactly why.

That said, todays practice round was really special. I hit some crazy good shots that felt really, really good. The PtxPro's, when hit on the button, have a superbly crisp feel. Solid, firm, and tasty. Very workable too, and good spin. But I already knew this as I'm coming off a set of PtxPro's with the KBS V Tours. But the Recoils....ahhh, the recoils... yum, yum.

As you've heard, the stock shafts aren't for everyone, and its quite true that Hogan offers a very small selection of shafts vs most everyone else, but thats probably one of the cost cutting reasons these clubs are so affordable. Im apparently one of the lucky ones, as the Recoils seem to be a match made in heaven for me. About 3 or 4 sets ago I had some p790's with the Recoil f3's (regular flex), and I just couldn't ever get those to work for me. But the f4's (stiff) are the doggies dinner on the Hogans.

And finally, the Icons. the 8,9, and PW. I was a Mizzy blade guy forever so I know how to churn the butter. The Icons churn. On the Recoils, they churn in overdrive.

Im actually glad Im in the Combo group vs the Straight up Icon group, because where they change from blade to hollow-tech, to UiHi utility is brilliant. I just don't have the horsepower to play a full set of blades anymore at the tender young age of 64, so getting the help for the longer shots is great. And then keeping the knives for the short game is brilliant...

  • Like 7

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

 :EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

haha Gucci shafts...

Hogan's customer service reps say their stock shafts "fit 90% of golfers".

But, why'd they partner with Club Champion if that's true?

  • Like 2

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Blade #2
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2020 at 7:55 AM, bens197 said:

There are other DTC companies that have earned a LOT of mileage out of MGS posts and haven't been nearly as willing to participate in testing; respect for Hogan.

Very surprising really.  One would think it to be the closest thing to free advertising there is.  I see Sub70 is in the mix with the 699 testing... hopefully that will motivate some others to follow suit.  Ultimately, getting your product in front of a broad spectrum of players (or even a target group, i.e. XXIO) is key to sales.  I know personally it was stumbling on MGS's product tests that brought me to the forum... and ultimately wrestled those PE2's from my quiver.

  • Like 3

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I played a tournament last weekend, and the clubs were money! I was hitting greens like crazy, if only I could've got off the tee, Or made a putt! Missed five makeable birdie putts on first day. Same story on day 2☹️ had to go irons off the tee day 2. Only hit a couple drivers and lost a ball on 1, set up on the right side of the tee box and aimed left side of the fairway, and hit it in the trees on the right. was fighting a big cut/ slice with my driver but my irons kept me in it. 

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Very surprising really.  One would think it to be the closest thing to free advertising there is.  I see Sub70 is in the mix with the 699 testing... hopefully that will motivate some others to follow suit.  Ultimately, getting your product in front of a broad spectrum of players (or even a target group, i.e. XXIO) is key to sales.  I know personally it was stumbling on MGS's product tests that brought me to the forum... and ultimately wrestled those PE2's from my quiver.

Hogan has offered at least two member testing opportunities per season since I’ve been a member here.  That’s a big commitment to creating a groundswell of support among avid golfers.  Those avid golfers then share their experience with their friends, then it spreads. 
 

I’ll refrain from further adulation and return to my review.  
 

Currently at work trying to fall asleep but the fire gods have other plans. 3 calls after 11:30 is not a good sign for a fun night...

  • Like 3
  • PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52, 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide
  • Oncore Elixr

 

Rochester, NY

5.6 Index

Link to post
Share on other sites

Golf WRX's "Wedge Guy"and founder of Ben Hogan's relaunch in 2014, Terry Koehler, makes a strong case for combo sets with short iron blades. The goal should be proper trajectory and spin while limiting ballooned approach shots. He contends our misses with short irons are higher on the face.

http://www.golfwrx.com/622586/the-wedge-guy-maybe-its-time-to-rethink-your-short-irons/

Edited by J.B. TexasEx
  • Like 3

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Blade #2
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Surveillance Report: Choose Your Own Trajectory

 

  • Like 8

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

Link to post
Share on other sites

Shot a 2 over today, but from the white tees.

Trying not to gush about these clubs but its hard not to. Really ...

The 4UiHi is a treat. really...

The Icons are sick, lots of examples today, really....

The recoils are Perfect. really...

I hit a couple really short flops today to a foot or two with the equalizer 60. They land soooo soft, its like dropping a bean bag. Its taken me a little while to warm up to the Equalizers, but the more I play them, the more I like em... Really!

So anyways, the Combo set is OK... Really

  • Like 9

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

 :EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

Shot a 2 over today, but from the white tees.

Trying not to gush about these clubs but its hard not to. Really ...

The 4UiHi is a treat. really...

The Icons are sick, lots of examples today, really....

The recoils are Perfect. really...

I hit a couple really short flops today to a foot or two with the equalizer 60. They land soooo soft, its like dropping a bean bag. Its taken me a little while to warm up to the Equalizers, but the more I play them, the more I like em... Really!

So anyways, the Combo set is OK... Really

It really is really OK.  This V Sole design with a wider sole width overall has made turf interaction A-O-K.

  • Like 5
  • PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52, 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide
  • Oncore Elixr

 

Rochester, NY

5.6 Index

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

Its taken me a little while to warm up to the Equalizers, but the more I play them, the more I like em... Really!

So anyways, the Combo set is OK... Really

Are you getting your desired trajectory and spin with your Equalizers on full shots, Sluggo?

  • Like 2

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Blade #2
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

Are you getting your desired trajectory and spin with your Equalizers on full shots, Sluggo?

Yea JB, I am. These have specific weighting in their build to give you a better control, per loft. They only come in one grind tho, but it seems to be a pretty smooth overall club. my main problem at first was getting used to the V-sole, as I was skulling some shots. but that went away pretty quickly. The spin is excellent, but not over the top. So your shots hold, but won't spin back off the green, but obviously a lot of all this depends on how you strike the ball.

  • Like 4

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

 :EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So yesterday I stopped at the Pro Shop and told my pro about the Hogan’s and the toe misses I’m having with them. I explained to him that they are same lie and length as my current irons which I have no problem finding the middle of, but the Hogan’s shafts are graphite Recoil 87g shafts while my current irons are 125g Precision Rifle steel. He agreed that the weight and deflection difference of the two shafts were causing the problem.

 

Now as someone that is just playing graphite for the first time one of the few things I know about graphite is that most times graphite shafts come 1/2” longer from the factory to keep the swingweight similar to steel shafted clubs of the same model. What I didn’t realize is that added length might also help with toe droop. As my Pro and I were talking, he suggested adding 1/2” extensions to the clubs. The added length should move the strikes to the center of the face. If this is the case, then not only does the added length of graphite add to the swingweight, it also affects to toe droop which can be a remedy to the higher torque and deflection of the tip section of the graphite shafts.

 

Looking at the specs of the irons on the Ben Hogan website there is no difference in lengths between graphite and steel shafted clubs. While that creates a swingweight difference of 2 points according to their graph between the two, the lack of longer shaft in the graphite doesn’t allow for the correction of toe droop.

 

 

 

 

 

 

So, graphite extensions are en route and hopefully will be the answer to finding the center of the face.

 

 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  • Like 5

WITB:

Louisville Smart Persimmon Driver

Louisville Niblick Persimmon 3 & 5 woods

Hogan UIHI 4-iron*

Hogan PTx Pro 5-7*

Hogan Icon 8-PW*

KZG 51 gap wedge

KZG 56 sand wedge

Rife Legend Z Putter

 

*denotes clubs being tested

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, deejaid said:

So yesterday I stopped at the Pro Shop and told my pro about the Hogan’s and the toe misses I’m having with them. I explained to him that they are same lie and length as my current irons which I have no problem finding the middle of, but the Hogan’s shafts are graphite Recoil 87g shafts while my current irons are 125g Precision Rifle steel. He agreed that the weight and deflection difference of the two shafts were causing the problem.

 

Now as someone that is just playing graphite for the first time one of the few things I know about graphite is that most times graphite shafts come 1/2” longer from the factory to keep the swingweight similar to steel shafted clubs of the same model. What I didn’t realize is that added length might also help with toe droop. As my Pro and I were talking, he suggested adding 1/2” extensions to the clubs. The added length should move the strikes to the center of the face. If this is the case, then not only does the added length of graphite add to the swingweight, it also affects to toe droop which can be a remedy to the higher torque and deflection of the tip section of the graphite shafts.

 

Looking at the specs of the irons on the Ben Hogan website there is no difference in lengths between graphite and steel shafted clubs. While that creates a swingweight difference of 2 points according to their graph between the two, the lack of longer shaft in the graphite doesn’t allow for the correction of toe droop.

 

 

 

 

 

 

So, graphite extensions are en route and hopefully will be the answer to finding the center of the face.

 

 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hope this is the fix good luck!

  • Like 2

Follow my overall Vegan transition here

Check out my reviews

 :ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

 :taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke VS Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:adams-small: 2H VST - Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, deejaid said:

So yesterday I stopped at the Pro Shop and told my pro about the Hogan’s and the toe misses I’m having with them. I explained to him that they are same lie and length as my current irons which I have no problem finding the middle of, but the Hogan’s shafts are graphite Recoil 87g shafts while my current irons are 125g Precision Rifle steel. He agreed that the weight and deflection difference of the two shafts were causing the problem.

 

Now as someone that is just playing graphite for the first time one of the few things I know about graphite is that most times graphite shafts come 1/2” longer from the factory to keep the swingweight similar to steel shafted clubs of the same model. What I didn’t realize is that added length might also help with toe droop. As my Pro and I were talking, he suggested adding 1/2” extensions to the clubs. The added length should move the strikes to the center of the face. If this is the case, then not only does the added length of graphite add to the swingweight, it also affects to toe droop which can be a remedy to the higher torque and deflection of the tip section of the graphite shafts.

 

Looking at the specs of the irons on the Ben Hogan website there is no difference in lengths between graphite and steel shafted clubs. While that creates a swingweight difference of 2 points according to their graph between the two, the lack of longer shaft in the graphite doesn’t allow for the correction of toe droop.

 

 

 

 

 

 

So, graphite extensions are en route and hopefully will be the answer to finding the center of the face.

 

 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

well there is two things I didn't know.. Steel shafts from Hogan are +1/2", and toe droop. My old PtxPros were 1/2" long, but I thought it was a special order by the original buyer..

And "toe Droop" is actually a phrase Ive never heard before, Ill definitely read up on that one.

So now with a 1/2" extension, your shafts will now be 1" longer overall?

  • Like 2

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

 :EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...