2020 Official Member Review: Ben Hogan Icon & PTX Pro/Icon Combo Irons

Our Sponsors

On 8/2/2020 at 1:12 PM, deejaid said:

Well after my experience with the switch from a heavyweight steel shaft to a lightweight graphite I’d advise against it without a fitting. Even going from a 120+ steel to a 90+ steel is too big of a change, at least for me.

I spent the last week testing shafts at my club that were similar to the Hogan offerings using Cobra Forged Tec and Titleist 620 CB heads. The KBS Tour 90 stiff steel shaft was too light and I kept hitting it thin. When I switched to the KBS $-Taper 120 (closest thing my club had to the KBS Tour-V that Hogan offers) I was hitting it center but I didn’t care for the lower ball flight. Finally, I tried the good ole Dynamic a Gold S300 and X100 and the X100 was perfect. Higher ball flight and more spin than the KBS offerings, at least for me, and the heavy weight got my tempo back.

I think with a Direct-To-Consumer model it is probably more important to stick with a similar weight shaft than focusing strictly on flex.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brother Deejaid, I wondered if you'd tried ProSoft inserts in the past?

Cobra Fly-Z+, Xcaliber Tour 7.5 TS, 44"; Cobra King LTD, HZRDUS Black 75, 6.5, 44.25"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"; TM Stage 2 Tour, SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, DGS300; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram 1980 Tour Grinds, Dynamic S; 2-PW MacGregor Muirfield, Dynamic S; 1-PW Wilson Staff 78 Tour Blades, Dynamic S; 2-PW Ram TG-898, Nippon Super Peening Blue X
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, DGS300; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; Golden Ram TW276, DGS; Golden Ram TW282, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 56*, DGS
LW:  Maltby Design 60*, 1.05 sole, DGS; Maltby Design 60* 1.05 sole, NV105
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34", round no taper grip
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, or Kirkland Signature 3 pc, or TM TP5

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Ben Hogan Company started in 1953. It was well known throughout the company that there was nobody that expected perfection more than Mr. Hogan; to say he was iconic is an understatement. Toda

Learning a new edit system during Covid so I cut together a little something.....    

Hello UIHI.... Is it hot out here or is it just you?

Posted Images

Surveillance Report: Subtle Shot Spectrum

*full volume for full ‘forged effect’

Some ideas explored in the official ICON review dropping next week...

Tradition -or- Progress; Creativity -or- Predictability; Exhilarating -or- Sensible?

“You can’t always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you might find. You get what you need.” - The Rolling Stones

• Like 6
  • Love 2

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

12 minutes ago, downlowkey said:

Tradition -or- Progress; Creativity -or- Predictability; Exhilarating -or- Sensible?

“You can’t always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you might find. You get what you need.” - The Rolling Stones

Those sound so much better than the person hitting next to you. 

• Like 6
1 minute ago, sirchunksalot said:

Those sound so much better than the person hitting next to you. 

I’ve been surprised by the notice these ICONs have received at the range - from nonchalant peeks strolling past the bag, to the more direct “Those sound so quiet - what are they?”

• Like 6

BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS

1 hour ago, downlowkey said:

You can hear each grain of steel.  Those sound extremely smooth.... extremely smooth. 

• Like 7
10 minutes ago, Shankster said:

You can hear each grain of steel.  Those sound extremely smooth.... extremely smooth. 

I think you would thoroughly enjoy carving it up with these wrenches, pards. The misses (speaking from very regular firsthand experience) hurt. But there is something special about successfully navigating the punishing correlation between input and result that blades uniquely present.

I’m sure you experienced it plenty with those tiny Ping BPs, as has @sirchunksalot alluded to the same in his vintage Wilson experiments. Are you punished for your mistakes? Yes. Do you learn from it? Hopefully. Did you earn the result? Unquestionably. Would you like to operate within that reality? Well... things get deeper there.

Also, the KBS Tour V setup is growing on me. Sore elbows be damned. It’s no limit flagstick season and these hawks are stone cold killers.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, downlowkey said:

I think you would thoroughly enjoy carving it up with these wrenches, pards. The misses (speaking from very regular firsthand experience) hurt. But there is something special about successfully navigating the punishing correlation between input and result that blades uniquely present.

I’m sure you experienced it plenty with those tiny Ping BPs, as has @sirchunksalot alluded to the same in his vintage Wilson experiments. Are you punished for your mistakes? Yes. Do you learn from it? Hopefully. Did you earn the result? Unquestionably. Would you like to operate within that reality? Well... things get deeper there.

Also, the KBS Tour V setup is growing on me. Sore elbows be damned. It’s no limit flagstick season and these hawks are stone cold killers.

I can feel a bad shot off the face of my game improvement irons, but the feedback off a forged iron is a completely different beast. I know right away where I hit them and I can imagine these Hogan's perform exactly the same. These irons are some of the most beautiful I've seen. You guys are doing a great job and it sounds like you're having fun doing it. 

• Like 7
On 8/14/2020 at 6:45 PM, sirchunksalot said:

and it sounds like you're having fun doing it. 

You speak the truth...

• Like 5
  • Love 1

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

36 minutes ago, Erik-M said:

Just shot my best round of 18 straight, and my best streak of birdies of my life! Started on the back and 4 holes in this happened!!Screenshot_20200817-191121_TheGrint.jpg.d30983ef3e1b1a6d1568fdaea590b6f7.jpg

I was sticking it close, granted allot had to do with me absolutely smashing my driver and straight! But also hitting greens with irons! Hole 1 to 4 inches on the approach! Made a couple 10 footers and a15 foot ish! You could see when i realized how good the round was, it got less good lol🤔

That birdie steak to end it was amazing! Great round!

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Erik-M said:

Just shot my best round of 18 straight, and my best streak of birdies of my life! Started on the back and 4 holes in this happened!!Screenshot_20200817-191121_TheGrint.jpg.d30983ef3e1b1a6d1568fdaea590b6f7.jpg

I was sticking it close, granted allot had to do with me absolutely smashing my driver and straight! But also hitting greens with irons! Hole 1 to 4 inches on the approach! Made a couple 10 footers and a15 foot ish! You could see when i realized how good the round was, it got less good lol🤔

Dude, 7 straight birds!

<insert polite golf applause here>  😁

• Like 2

Cobra Fly-Z+, Xcaliber Tour 7.5 TS, 44"; Cobra King LTD, HZRDUS Black 75, 6.5, 44.25"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"; TM Stage 2 Tour, SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, DGS300; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram 1980 Tour Grinds, Dynamic S; 2-PW MacGregor Muirfield, Dynamic S; 1-PW Wilson Staff 78 Tour Blades, Dynamic S; 2-PW Ram TG-898, Nippon Super Peening Blue X
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, DGS300; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; Golden Ram TW276, DGS; Golden Ram TW282, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 56*, DGS
LW:  Maltby Design 60*, 1.05 sole, DGS; Maltby Design 60* 1.05 sole, NV105
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34", round no taper grip
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, or Kirkland Signature 3 pc, or TM TP5

1 hour ago, Erik-M said:

Just shot my best round of 18 straight, and my best streak of birdies of my life

Feels good don’t it?

• Like 3

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

I was sticking it close, granted allot had to do with me absolutely smashing my driver and straight! But also hitting greens with irons! Hole 1 to 4 inches on the approach! Made a couple 10 footers and a15 foot ish! You could see when i realized how good the round was, it got less good lol

Wow! In the groove. Congrats on a great round!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

WITB:

Louisville Smart Persimmon Driver

Louisville Niblick Persimmon 3 & 5 woods

Hogan UIHI 4-iron*

Hogan PTx Pro 5-7*

Hogan Icon 8-PW*

KZG 51 gap wedge

KZG 56 sand wedge

Rife Legend Z Putter

*denotes clubs being tested

15 hours ago, Erik-M said:

I guess the obvious question is which putter do you use?!?!

• Like 2

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

15 hours ago, Erik-M said:

these irons aren't going anywhere!!!! Best I've ever used! And 4 iron is absolute money now!

During the 6 hole streak, were you using mostly PW/9 iron???

• Like 2

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

So how are the ICONs to hit? I'd go through the whole thread but that is a lot to read. I am debating those or the combo as i am not the best ball striker in the world but love the sound of more traditional lofts and forged irons.\

Also, those with the combo sets, do you see anything jumpy on some hits like the TXG folks saw on the non pro PTxs?

Edited by rbsiedsc

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with XStiff :Fuji: XLR8 Draw Setup

3W: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with HZRDUS Yellow 6.5 UPRT or PXG 0311X HZRDUS Smoke Black S 2.5* upright

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting

4-AW: PXG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges  54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up  **Testing :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid**

Putter: :odyssey-small: Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab  34"

Ball: :Snell:or KSigs or :taylormade-small: TP5 pix 2.0

:Arccos:

16 hours ago, Erik-M said:

what did your playing partners think? That is quite impressive. I would enjoy a par streak like that, let alone a birdie streak. Nice work!

• Like 4

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with XStiff :Fuji: XLR8 Draw Setup

3W: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with HZRDUS Yellow 6.5 UPRT or PXG 0311X HZRDUS Smoke Black S 2.5* upright

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting

4-AW: PXG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges  54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up  **Testing :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid**

Putter: :odyssey-small: Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab  34"

Ball: :Snell:or KSigs or :taylormade-small: TP5 pix 2.0

:Arccos:

21 hours ago, Erik-M said:

I had a chance at a career round today, but I stumbled on the back nine with a drive OB on a reachable short par 4.  Still put up a 70.  I was feeling pretty Good about myself, until I saw that round you threw up. That is awesome!  Good for you!

• Like 9

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed.