Jump to content

2020 Official Member Review: Ben Hogan Icon & PTX Pro/Icon Combo Irons


Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

57 minutes ago, downlowkey said:

In a word - buttery.

Without knowing your game, "not the best ball striker" sounds like the combo set might be a better look.

The area on the face of the ICON 4-iron that I would described as 'sweet spot' is uncomfortably small.

And in my experience, the other areas on the face are not particularly useful.

In one word, i am somewhat toey. I strike my short irons consistently and my longer ones less so. I wish there combo set was more customize-able instead of where it splits. Would prefer a 6-pw or 7-pw in the ICONs.

  • Like 3

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with XStiff :Fuji:Pro 63. Testing Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.75"

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff (shaft may be swapped at some point) 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting or 2 DI:  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 2.5* upright

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: :odyssey-small: Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab  34"

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

:Arccos:

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Ben Hogan Company started in 1953. It was well known throughout the company that there was nobody that expected perfection more than Mr. Hogan; to say he was iconic is an understatement. Toda

Learning a new edit system during Covid so I cut together a little something.....    

Hello UIHI.... Is it hot out here or is it just you?

Posted Images

On 8/14/2020 at 9:14 PM, downlowkey said:

I think you would thoroughly enjoy carving it up with these wrenches, pards. The misses (speaking from very regular firsthand experience) hurt. But there is something special about successfully navigating the punishing correlation between input and result that blades uniquely present.

I’m sure you experienced it plenty with those tiny Ping BPs, as has @sirchunksalot alluded to the same in his vintage Wilson experiments. Are you punished for your mistakes? Yes. Do you learn from it? Hopefully. Did you earn the result? Unquestionably. Would you like to operate within that reality? Well... things get deeper there.

Also, the KBS Tour V setup is growing on me. Sore elbows be damned. It’s no limit flagstick season and these hawks are stone cold killers.

Would love to get 18 in with you somewhere down the line.  Preferably before I need a wheelchair.  Who knows, maybe I’ll be heading back out west next summer.

Good to hear you are having success with the Tour V.  I could not get along with that shaft, but I only had them in wedges.

And yes, the toe of the BP 2 iron is... like hitting an a TopFlite XL2000 at 6am in November with a metal broomstick.  Looking at them tonight, I think I need to get my eyes checked again. I should probably add some sort of magnification lenses to them to make the irons look like SGI irons.  That’s how you build confidence, glasses.

  • Like 5
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok guys, I’ve got my review up. I’ve got the feeling that there will be some academy award reviews to follow, so get it while it’s hot!

 

  • Like 4

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

 :EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rbsiedsc said:

In one word, i am somewhat toey. I strike my short irons consistently and my longer ones less so. I wish there combo set was more customize-able instead of where it splits. Would prefer a 6-pw or 7-pw in the ICONs.

You are probably in my zone, and the “combo set” is our language. I often think the ability to select your own split point would be nice, but in the end, it’s probably not a bad place to be. Coming from my Mizuno set where the split was after the 6 iron, it’s just fine since the PtxPro’s are so solid.

  • Like 3

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

 :EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Played a nice and relaxed round with a group of young men who were all very cool. We shot Blues all day and the hogans were spot on, and good for a +3 74. A sluggish start, but two birdies on the back saved a great round. Best shot was an 8 iron from 141yds to about a foot and a half for the first bird of the day. Seems the 8 iron got a lot of shots perhaps by playing the blues instead of the split tees. And It was up for the task. The 4UiHi also got a great shot in on a 190 yd par 3, but missed the birdie putt.

A large part of making a quality shot is having confidence in your clubs. its good that the Hogans provide that for me... Mark my words, Combo sets will become standard operating procedure in the next few years. And I wouldn't be at all surprised that the lower index guys go that way too....

  • Like 6

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

 :EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have some exciting news to share.  Please tune into my review which will be submitted shortly. I believe this is what they call “The Teaser” in the marketing/advertising business. 😂 

  • Like 3

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2020 at 1:05 PM, rbsiedsc said:

So how are the ICONs to hit? I'd go through the whole thread but that is a lot to read. I am debating those or the combo as i am not the best ball striker in the world but love the sound of more traditional lofts and forged irons.\

Also, those with the combo sets, do you see anything jumpy on some hits like the TXG folks saw on the non pro PTxs?

The Icons feel AS GOOD AS ANY FORGING I have ever hit. There is a short but pure resonance that feels as good as it sounds. I don’t need to say more; they feel solid and smooth. 
 

There isn’t anything jumpy about the PTx heads. While they don’t have that pure feeling like the Icons, they have a solid and consistent feel that you’d expect from a multi piece forging. I have never seen nor had a concern with trajectory differences between the 5-7 and 8-P. 
 

  • Like 5
  • PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52, 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide
  • Oncore Elixr

 

Western, NY

5.7 Index

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, bens197 said:

The Icons feel AS GOOD AS ANY FORGING I have ever hit. There is a short but pure resonance that feels as good as it sounds. I don’t need to say more; they feel solid and smooth. 
 

There isn’t anything jumpy about the PTx heads. While they don’t have that pure feeling like the Icons, they have a solid and consistent feel that you’d expect from a multi piece forging. I have never seen nor had a concern with trajectory differences between the 5-7 and 8-P. 
 

do the PTx still have some slight forged softness to them?

  • Like 1

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with XStiff :Fuji:Pro 63. Testing Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.75"

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff (shaft may be swapped at some point) 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting or 2 DI:  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 2.5* upright

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: :odyssey-small: Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab  34"

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

:Arccos:

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

do the PTx still have some slight forged softness to them?

absolutely, they are a forged face. Not Icon butter, because only a mizuno blade will approach that. But solid and crisp is how I like to describe the PtxPro's. I used to get nervous over 170 yd shots with my various other 5 irons, but now feel confident that I'm gunna stick the green now. another way to describe the hit is "clean". Its just a nice satisfying crisp clean hit haha.

Oh, and I keep forgetting to talk about the V-Sole. these clubs just glide thru the strike, as the turf interaction is so.... uhhh... sweet? use your choice of adjective here, as it just gets thru the grass like its not even there.

  • Like 4

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

 :EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sluggo42 said:

absolutely, they are a forged face. Not Icon butter, because only a mizuno blade will approach that. But solid and crisp is how I like to describe the PtxPro's. I used to get nervous over 170 yd shots with my various other 5 irons, but now feel confident that I'm gunna stick the green now. another way to describe the hit is "clean". Its just a nice satisfying crisp clean hit haha.

Oh, and I keep forgetting to talk about the V-Sole. these clubs just glide thru the strike, as the turf interaction is so.... uhhh... sweet? use your choice of adjective here, as it just gets thru the grass like its not even there.

A little late to this thread, have missed quite a few posts and this may have already been mentioned ... but I’ve seen that the spin numbers on the PtxPros are really good as well. 

Michael Newton’s post on YouTube about these is very impressive. 

The 🙌🏼

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just another 5 iron with the Hogan’s. I’ve never felt so confident at 170 yards in the last 15 years. Between the V-Sole, and the Recoil f4 graphite shaft, and the tech they use to make these things, I’m actually looking forward to this shot, rather than dreading it...   missed the dang putt if you’re wondering 

D0E03C27-FC68-49DE-9D8F-17018A111E8E.jpeg.794a7a52c007901681f8923e16c02380.jpeg

  • Like 1

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

 :EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, mikeanthony said:

A little late to this thread, have missed quite a few posts and this may have already been mentioned ... but I’ve seen that the spin numbers on the PtxPros are really good as well. 

Michael Newton’s post on YouTube about these is very impressive. 

Great point!!!

They do spin well, and hold well as a result. I also saw Michael Newtons youtube video. Txg just did the Icon's and also mentions very good spin numbers.

 

  • Like 2

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

 :EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My review is up fellas. 
 

Sluggo put up such a good review, I feel like the ugly stepsister. 

  • Like 4

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this an anomaly with @joen's set or are others seeing this issue? Also, these are starting to exhibit a healthy amount of bag dings for a near new set... of course this coming from my years of playing PING's indestructotanium alloy 🙂.  Lastly, would the others agree that these are more a players vs. a players distance club?

large.A6A25300-2C10-41EB-A563-41E2DB16868C.jpeg.ddfcd959138263c1353b9d88adf0a211.jpeg 

  • Like 3

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Is this an anomaly with [mention=55641]joen[/mention]'s set or are others seeing this issue? Also, these are starting to exhibit a healthy amount of bag dings for a near new set... of course this coming from my years of playing PING's indestructotanium alloy .  Lastly, would the others agree that these are more a players vs. a players distance club?
large.A6A25300-2C10-41EB-A563-41E2DB16868C.jpeg.ddfcd959138263c1353b9d88adf0a211.jpeg 

I love a little bag chatter. It’s one of the benefits of a nice forged iron.

I actually really do like it on them tho. My wedding ring is the same way. I like the character.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue 6X

:cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S

:cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - PX LZ 6.5

:cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12 Classic, 56.10 Versatile, 60.04 Widelow - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B

:Snell: MTB-X vs :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

 

#cuetheduckboats

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Is this an anomaly with @joen's set or are others seeing this issue? Also, these are starting to exhibit a healthy amount of bag dings for a near new set... of course this coming from my years of playing PING's indestructotanium alloy 🙂.  Lastly, would the others agree that these are more a players vs. a players distance club?

large.A6A25300-2C10-41EB-A563-41E2DB16868C.jpeg.ddfcd959138263c1353b9d88adf0a211.jpeg 

I think the dings are going to be pretty common with this set. Nothing feels this soft off the face that won’t take a beating from bag chatter!

Also, is this indestructotanium alloy the same thing Ironmans suit is made out of???  😆 

  • Like 5

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Is this an anomaly with @joen's set or are others seeing this issue? Also, these are starting to exhibit a healthy amount of bag dings for a near new set... of course this coming from my years of playing PING's indestructotanium alloy 🙂.  Lastly, would the others agree that these are more a players vs. a players distance club?

large.A6A25300-2C10-41EB-A563-41E2DB16868C.jpeg.ddfcd959138263c1353b9d88adf0a211.jpeg 

I’ve Probably played close to 75 rounds between my two sets of Hogan’s, and haven’t had any cosmetic failure, but I also keep them in “face savers” at all times.

i would agree with your assessment, they are a players club. Not a distance club as they’re very true to their lofts, and very consistent. You don’t ever get the “flyer” which goes 10-20 extra yards out of the blue. And the transformation from the 8 iron “Icon”, to the 7 Iron “PtxPro” is seemless. I would say the “jumpiest” stick is the 4UiHi, but that’s also because you will hit it from so many different situations. From teed up a 1/2”, to a crappy lie on a hard pan fairway, to some sloppy wet rough. So you can get anywhere from 170 to 210. That’s a 40 yard variation, but, it’s also an expected yardage each time. I KNOW it will avg 205 off a tee. I KNOW it’ll go 180-190 off a decent lie, etc. 

Side note, I also believe that “flyers” are more of a symptom of regular inconsistencies in perhaps a higher index players swings. Then they occasionally hit one “pure”, and it goes as far as it’s supposed to go, on a pure hit. But it seems like a “flyer”, because the player isn’t used to the consistent pure strikes. So maybe the “pure sweet-spot” varies from club to club.  So one would need some robot testing to test the “micro-sweet spots”... hmmm does MSG have access to a robot tester?

  • Like 1

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

 :EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely an anomaly.  Mine arrived as clean and shiny as a baby boomers project Camaro.  

 

They will ding and show wear as they should, tools not toys.  

  • Like 2
  • PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52, 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide
  • Oncore Elixr

 

Western, NY

5.7 Index

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

I’ve Probably played close to 75 rounds between my two sets of Hogan’s, and haven’t had any cosmetic failure, but I also keep them in “face savers” at all times.

i would agree with your assessment, they are a players club. Not a distance club as they’re very true to their lofts, and very consistent. You don’t ever get the “flyer” which goes 10-20 extra yards out of the blue. And the transformation from the 8 iron “Icon”, to the 7 Iron “PtxPro” is seemless. I would say the “jumpiest” stick is the 4UiHi, but that’s also because you will hit it from so many different situations. From teed up a 1/2”, to a crappy lie on a hard pan fairway, to some sloppy wet rough. So you can get anywhere from 170 to 210. That’s a 40 yard variation, but, it’s also an expected yardage each time. I KNOW it will avg 205 off a tee. I KNOW it’ll go 180-190 off a decent lie, etc. 

Side note, I also believe that “flyers” are more of a symptom of regular inconsistencies in perhaps a higher index players swings. Then they occasionally hit one “pure”, and it goes as far as it’s supposed to go, on a pure hit. But it seems like a “flyer”, because the player isn’t used to the consistent pure strikes. So maybe the “pure sweet-spot” varies from club to club.  So one would need some robot testing to test the “micro-sweet spots”... hmmm does MSG have access to a robot tester?

I agree with Sluggos assessment. These are definitely players clubs. Not players distance clubs. I know what yardage all these clubs are going to go with a good hit and my regular mishit. 
The gapping is great between the clubs. The Icons flow nicely to the PTX pro which flows well to the four hybrid.  They did such a good job with the gapping I was considering getting the 5 hybrid to replace the 5 iron since I have difficulty with the 5 iron for some reason. 
And just to be clear, this was not a cosmetic failure after playing. The club arrived with the paint fill missing. 

  • Like 6

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...