2020 Official Member Review: Ben Hogan Icon & PTX Pro/Icon Combo Irons

On 10/31/2020 at 10:38 AM, joen said:

JB,

I ordered the wedges when I was selected to test the Ben Hogan combo set. I had played Mizuno wedges for years. Love these wedges!  Great price point!  The V sole is money off any lie you can think of. These have become weapons in my hands this year. I hit beautiful low trajectory mini draws with the wedges that hit and stop. Great out of the sand. Below is a picture of a 78 yard wedge holed for eagle last month. 

B59B2C86-975B-437D-A965-B9443357D469.jpeg

Check out my 95 yd - 54° equalizer shot

CD1D1903-AB68-44C2-9033-F25A776E3DE1.jpeg.ecb8b4af009e8a6ac69c8c4816f877a3.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Love 1

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

So the Hogan combo set continues to get better and better. Yesterday I had a 190 yard 4 iron miss the pin by a foot, and settled down for a 10’ birdie putt that I missed. Multiple good hits. They are such good irons...

• Like 5

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

2 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

Check out my 95 yd - 54° equalizer shot

CD1D1903-AB68-44C2-9033-F25A776E3DE1.jpeg.ecb8b4af009e8a6ac69c8c4816f877a3.jpeg

Sweet. You must be a poker player. Saw my hand and raised!!!!!  😆 

Well done!

• Haha 2

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

yea, I think today seals the deal for me, and I crown the PtxPro 4 iron the winner in my showdown. I have nothing negative to say about the 4UiHi either. I just prefer the feel of the PtxPro, and its a little tighter out of the rough. I think its a little longer, but that doesn't really mean much to me, but I just am throwing that out there. Off the tee, the UiHi seemed to soar a bit higher, and the Ptx seemed to pierce more. You can work the Ptx a little easier too, but, its not like you can't turn the UiHi.
What sealed the deal today was a shot on the #1 hcp hole where the pin was in the back of the green, uphill, 184 yds. Early in the round and chilly. I just tried to put a good swing on it, and it went pin high about 20 feet left of the pin, but the green slopes that way so it really couldn't have gone anywhere else. I just missed the birdie putt for those interested. But having a putt was key.

I really think I’m going to order a PTx Pro 4-iron as well. I agree the PTx Pro feels so much better than the UiHi and I have no trouble hitting the PTx Pro 5-iron nice and high. I like the more compact look too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

1 hour ago, deejaid said:

I really think I’m going to order a PTx Pro 4-iron as well. I agree the PTx Pro feels so much better than the UiHi and I have no trouble hitting the PTx Pro 5-iron nice and high. I like the more compact look too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

my thoughts exactly.

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

I played at a different track yesterday with my friends and was very busy talking smack about my Mavric, and how I was going to murder the ball all day. Well it was quite windy and it kinda psyched me out of big swings, so I ended up with only 2 super solid drives. But I ended up shooting a -2, and it was the Hogans that stole the show. funny thing that 3 of our 4-some was playing the PtxPro's. I was the only one with the combo tho. And the other guy was playing my old p790's.

• Like 3

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

Great job on the reviews everyone. I have been mulling over testing both the Icons and the PTX Pros for quite some time and after reading the reviews I decided to pull the trigger.

I ordered a demo set of the PTX Pros with KBS Tour V X-Stiff and a set of Demos of the Icons with KBS Tour V Stiff Shafts to test out a potential combo set as well as the shafts. They should be arriving on Thursday and can't come soon enough.

• Like 3

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G410 LST 9°, Tensei 1K White (X  Flex)

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 3 Wood 15°, Ventus Black 7S

3 Utility Iron (Alternate Club): :cobra-small: King Utility Iron 18.5°, Project X HZRDUS (S Flex)

3 Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 18°, Tensei Blue 70S

4i-AW: :srixon-small: ZX7, Tour Issue Dynamic Gold 120's S400 (1.5° Upright, Std Length)

56°:  :vokey-small: SM8, Finish: The Best Finish (Slate Blue) Grind: S, Bounce: 10°, Shaft: Dynamic Gold S400 (1.5° Upright, Std Length)

60°: :vokey-small: SM8, Finish: The Best Finish (Slate Blue) Grind: M, Bounce: 8°, Shaft: Dynamic Gold S400 (1.5° Upright, Std Length)

Putter: :ping-small: Scottsdale TR Sanita B 

Shot Tracking: :Arccos: Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour BX

*Depending on the course and conditions I choose between my hybrid and utility iron the day of.

Official Member Review: Nippon Zelos 7 (Here)

Follow My Super Speed Training Progress Below 103mph-112mph and Gaining

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KpCSY2sLk97yCmUyoW-aVzLLs_k4CuPR5708OrVw5gA/edit?usp=sharing

2 hours ago, ZMendle10 said:

Great job on the reviews everyone. I have been mulling over testing both the Icons and the PTX Pros for quite some time and after reading the reviews I decided to pull the trigger.

I ordered a demo set of the PTX Pros with KBS Tour V X-Stiff and a set of Demos of the Icons with KBS Tour V Stiff Shafts to test out a potential combo set as well as the shafts. They should be arriving on Thursday and can't come soon enough.

Good luck with the testing!  Don’t forget to sign up for their mailing list. There is a discount promo circulating and a great way to save some money. 

• Like 2
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

On 11/8/2020 at 5:44 PM, Sluggo42 said:

I played at a different track yesterday with my friends and was very busy talking smack about my Mavric, and how I was going to murder the ball all day. Well it was quite windy and it kinda psyched me out of big swings, so I ended up with only 2 super solid drives. But I ended up shooting a -2, and it was the Hogans that stole the show. funny thing that 3 of our 4-some was playing the PtxPro's. I was the only one with the combo tho. And the other guy was playing my old p790's.

with your solid streak of low scores, how much have the Hogan's dropped your cap?

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS with RDX Blue 70g S 

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: TAII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter 

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X and :OnCore: vero X1 (may dabble in :titelist-small: proV1 at some point)

Thanks for the reviews fellas. I am refinishing and building a classic set of Hogan Apex's and love to hear about these icons if I am looking for something new.

That the clubs are this universally loved by a MGS testers really says something in my opinion. Great work everyone!

• Like 2

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

1 hour ago, newballcoach said:

I am refinishing and building a classic set of Hogan Apex's

Pictures, please!

• Like 2

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
GW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :taylormade-small: TP5X Pix
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I was able to play my combo's with the Nippon Modus' install before the season ended.  It was an awesome Western NY Fall day with mid 60's and overcast.  Shot 37 with a bogey, double and two birdies.  4/7 fairways, 6/9 greens and 16 putts.  

I would love to offer some feedback about the shaft differences (Modus V Tour V) but the sample is just too small.  There certainly were highlights; I was pleased with the ball fight and trajectory and there is something magical about how the ball holds its line with these shafts.  Next season if anyone is still following along, I'll gladly share.  

• Like 3
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

22 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Pictures, please!

Don't want to take away from this thread, I'll post one once I get the job done. Might be a few months but I probably should not have said refinishing. It's really just cleaning some rust off of the faces, giving them some polish and re-shafting them.

2 iron to E wedge. Still looking on ebay for the 1 iron Hogan Apex Grind.

• Like 2

WITB

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

On 11/10/2020 at 2:36 PM, rbsiedsc said:

with your solid streak of low scores, how much have the Hogan's dropped your cap?

well I think Im around a 3.3 now, from a 4.7, but I can't say that its the hogans alone that have done all the work. I would say that the Mavric has been helpful, and a slight swing change of getting the backswing higher has been very good too, and all that while playing 4-5 times a week as well. There are just so many facets to the game, and iron play is just one of them. I would also add that I think the Recoil stiff shafts are playing a part as well. they really suit my game.

Honestly, I think that Im finally just starting to understand my swing, and just starting to hit some real quality shots. Its like the 10,000 hour rule. whether it be a musical instrument, or an athletic endeavor, or whatever, you finally start getting a real clue after you've got your 10,000 hours in. And oddly it comes and goes in spurts. Many things are working well at the moment, except the driver hasn't been as steady as I would like.

I think the Hogans are just a really solid club that performs well when you're playing well. little things about the club really seem to suit my game like the v-sole, the recoil shafts, the size, the way its built, etc. I think that its just one of a number of really well built  clubs out there today, who knows, maybe had I been on the titles t100s testing group, I might be singing the praises about that stick.

• Like 3

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

On 11/11/2020 at 4:00 PM, bens197 said:

I was able to play my combo's with the Nippon Modus' install before the season ended.  It was an awesome Western NY Fall day with mid 60's and overcast.  Shot 37 with a bogey, double and two birdies.  4/7 fairways, 6/9 greens and 16 putts.  

I would love to offer some feedback about the shaft differences (Modus V Tour V) but the sample is just too small.  There certainly were highlights; I was pleased with the ball fight and trajectory and there is something magical about how the ball holds its line with these shafts.  Next season if anyone is still following along, I'll gladly share.  

Considering we play almost the exact same driver/shaft combo (mine is a 6.0) I'd love to hear about that feedback when you get the chance. Both of those shafts are ones I am hoping to test out, so you have at least one interested party!

WITB

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

32 minutes ago, newballcoach said:

Considering we play almost the exact same driver/shaft combo (mine is a 6.0) I'd love to hear about that feedback when you get the chance. Both of those shafts are ones I am hoping to test out, so you have at least one interested party!

Absolutely...one round was affirmation that I made the correct choice but I want a larger sample to offer better feedback.  These iron shafts changed so much for me and my only regret is I didn't switch earlier.

Big fan of the EF Black so far.  I switched from the HZRDUS Yellow, not a 180 but significant enough where the feel is so much better and much more responsive.  I left it at 45.5" and so far no issues.  The missed fairways for me are first cut; the giant misses have been significantly reduced.  

• Like 1
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

Icon PW at address...

icon.jpg

• TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

amazing. then you can teach the rest of us over Zoom. Classes coming to a computer near you.

Driver - :callaway-small: Mavrik w/ Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 60X

3-Wood - :taylormade-small: M5 w/ Tensei Orange Pro 60g

Hybrid - :callaway-small: Apex 2 w/ Kuro Kage 65g

Irons - :callaway-small: Steelhead XR's w/ KBS Tour-V 90 - 5-PW, AW

Wedges - Kirkland Signature 52*, 56*, 60*

Putter -   Odyssey 3-Ball Hot Metal

JerBooth

Swing easy.

On 11/10/2020 at 9:21 AM, ZMendle10 said:

Be interested to know how that goes for you.

Driver - :callaway-small: Mavrik w/ Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 60X

3-Wood - :taylormade-small: M5 w/ Tensei Orange Pro 60g

Hybrid - :callaway-small: Apex 2 w/ Kuro Kage 65g

Irons - :callaway-small: Steelhead XR's w/ KBS Tour-V 90 - 5-PW, AW

Wedges - Kirkland Signature 52*, 56*, 60*

Putter -   Odyssey 3-Ball Hot Metal

JerBooth

Swing easy.

1 hour ago, JerBooth said:

Be interested to know how that goes for you.

I've had them for a week so far and have been unable to give them much more practice other than on the range. Looks wise they live up to the hype and then some. I haven't been able to give much on performance lately as I have not been hitting them consistently. This part shaft and part me though as KBS shafts have never worked for me in the past and I tend to tinker with my swing but they were the only shaft close to my curent shaft weight. I will be taking them onto a trackman though in the near future to get distances and really spend time working with them.

However there does not seem to be any likelihood of these getting into my bag as the shaft options are not great for me but I would consider them if i were to get hit at club champion or someplace where I was getting fitted for a different shaft. 

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G410 LST 9°, Tensei 1K White (X  Flex)

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 3 Wood 15°, Ventus Black 7S

3 Utility Iron (Alternate Club): :cobra-small: King Utility Iron 18.5°, Project X HZRDUS (S Flex)

3 Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 18°, Tensei Blue 70S

4i-AW: :srixon-small: ZX7, Tour Issue Dynamic Gold 120's S400 (1.5° Upright, Std Length)

56°:  :vokey-small: SM8, Finish: The Best Finish (Slate Blue) Grind: S, Bounce: 10°, Shaft: Dynamic Gold S400 (1.5° Upright, Std Length)

60°: :vokey-small: SM8, Finish: The Best Finish (Slate Blue) Grind: M, Bounce: 8°, Shaft: Dynamic Gold S400 (1.5° Upright, Std Length)

Putter: :ping-small: Scottsdale TR Sanita B 

Shot Tracking: :Arccos: Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour BX

*Depending on the course and conditions I choose between my hybrid and utility iron the day of.

Official Member Review: Nippon Zelos 7 (Here)

Follow My Super Speed Training Progress Below 103mph-112mph and Gaining

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KpCSY2sLk97yCmUyoW-aVzLLs_k4CuPR5708OrVw5gA/edit?usp=sharing