2020 Official Member Review: Ben Hogan Icon & PTX Pro/Icon Combo Irons

Our Sponsors

1 hour ago, ZMendle10 said:

I've had them for a week so far and have been unable to give them much more practice other than on the range. Looks wise they live up to the hype and then some. I haven't been able to give much on performance lately as I have not been hitting them consistently. This part shaft and part me though as KBS shafts have never worked for me in the past and I tend to tinker with my swing but they were the only shaft close to my curent shaft weight. I will be taking them onto a trackman though in the near future to get distances and really spend time working with them.

However there does not seem to be any likelihood of these getting into my bag as the shaft options are not great for me but I would consider them if i were to get hit at club champion or someplace where I was getting fitted for a different shaft. 

That sucks about the shafts. Too bad the kbs shafts don't work for you. I'm the opposite, the KBS shafts work well for my swing in my irons. I have the tour V-90 Stiff shafts and my dispersion has tightened up tremendously.

It's too bad you couldn't have them changed out before you hit the Trackman. I wonder if theres a private fitter or a golf galaxy near you that could do something to help. Im sure you've explored that.

Let us know how it goes even if you don't get them switched out and hit the trackman. be curious to see the numbers

Driver - :taylormade-small: SLDR S w/ Fujikara Stiff 60g - Currently set at 9*

3-Wood - Mizuno T_Zoid

Hybrid - :callaway-small: Apex 2

DI -  LYNX   Parallax 2i 

Irons - :callaway-small: Steelhead XR's w/ KBS Tour-V 90 - 5-PW, AW

Wedges - :callaway-small: Vintage X-tour - 52*-56*-60*

Putter - :ping-small: Karsten Anser2 TR

JerBooth

Swing easy.

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Ben Hogan Company started in 1953. It was well known throughout the company that there was nobody that expected perfection more than Mr. Hogan; to say he was iconic is an understatement. Toda

Learning a new edit system during Covid so I cut together a little something.....    

Hello UIHI.... Is it hot out here or is it just you?

Posted Images

41 minutes ago, JerBooth said:

That sucks about the shafts. Too bad the kbs shafts don't work for you. I'm the opposite, the KBS shafts work well for my swing in my irons. I have the tour V-90 Stiff shafts and my dispersion has tightened up tremendously.

It's too bad you couldn't have them changed out before you hit the Trackman. I wonder if theres a private fitter or a golf galaxy near you that could do something to help. Im sure you've explored that.

Let us know how it goes even if you don't get them switched out and hit the trackman. be curious to see the numbers

It is very unfortunately but I was able to notice the tech in the PTX Pro really does work well in getting the ball up in the air. I have the X flex in the PTX pro and it actually launches much higher than the S flex in the Icons which I found interesting.

I can still add the numbers they would just be a very small sample size of decent shots if interested.

• Like 1

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G410 Plus 9° HZRDUS Smoke Yellow (S  Flex)

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 3 Wood 15° Ventus Black 7S

3 Utility Iron: :cobra-small: King Utility Iron 18° Project X HZRDUS (S Flex)

4i-AW: :taylormade-small: 2019 P790 Nippon Zelos 7 (S Flex, Std Lie, +1/2" Length)

56°:  :vokey-small: SM4 56° Loft,  8° Bounce

60°: :macgregor-small: VIP 60°

Putter: :ping-small: Scottsdale TR Sanita B 

Shot Tracking: :Arccos:

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour BX

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite 

5 hours ago, ZMendle10 said:

I've had them for a week so far and have been unable to give them much more practice other than on the range. Looks wise they live up to the hype and then some. I haven't been able to give much on performance lately as I have not been hitting them consistently. This part shaft and part me though as KBS shafts have never worked for me in the past and I tend to tinker with my swing but they were the only shaft close to my curent shaft weight. I will be taking them onto a trackman though in the near future to get distances and really spend time working with them.

However there does not seem to be any likelihood of these getting into my bag as the shaft options are not great for me but I would consider them if i were to get hit at club champion or someplace where I was getting fitted for a different shaft. 

I share your thoughts and installed Nippon Modus 120's last month.  Since then I've played them once and I am pleased with the results.  If they are on your radar, give them a shot if you chose to make it to CC.

• PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52, 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide
  • Oncore Elixr

Western, NY

5.7 Index

12 hours ago, bens197 said:

I share your thoughts and installed Nippon Modus 120's last month.  Since then I've played them once and I am pleased with the results.  If they are on your radar, give them a shot if you chose to make it to CC.

That's reassuring to hear. I live like an hour away from a CC so these are definitely on the list of irons to try again. Like I said I really want to like them but its hard to give them a fair shake without being fitted and with limited shaft options. 

4i-AW: :taylormade-small: 2019 P790 Nippon Zelos 7 (S Flex, Std Lie, +1/2" Length)

7 hours ago, ZMendle10 said:

That's reassuring to hear. I live like an hour away from a CC so these are definitely on the list of irons to try again. Like I said I really want to like them but its hard to give them a fair shake without being fitted and with limited shaft options. 

I said this during my review and stand behind it to this day:

”these clubs are too good to be limited to just four shaft options.”

I am sure there is a fantastic reason why they chose this route but I still disagree with their logic.  Even with a “premium up-charge” they’re still priced well below anything even close to this calibre.  

• Like 2
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide
  • Oncore Elixr

Western, NY

5.7 Index

10 minutes ago, bens197 said:

I am sure there is a fantastic reason why they chose this route but I still disagree with their logic.  Even with a “premium up-charge” they’re still priced well below anything even close to this calibre.  

The hope would be that over time they expand upon their shaft options but them being direct to Consumer for a majority of their business who knows.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bens197 said:

Good point.  I suspect they were able to develop favorable pricing agreements with the shaft OEM's they offer but, with so many other popular and well liked shafts available now, it seems they have limited the buyer base.  As an example, if someone has a fitting done and a particular shaft stands out on multiple shortlist heads, they might be inclined to buy a single Hogan iron with that shaft for test.  Wait a minute... I think I just described my scenario 😆.

• Haha 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

• 1 month later...

@Erik-M and @downlowkey, how's the black finish holding up on the Icon irons?   

Figured it was worth bumping this thread since it's been a while! 😉

• Like 4

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue 6X

:cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S

:cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - PX LZ 6.5

:cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12 Classic, 56.10 Versatile, 60.04 Widelow - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B

:titelist-small: Pro V1x vs :Snell: MTB-X vs :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

#cuetheduckboats

1 hour ago, B.Boston said:

@Erik-M and @downlowkey, how's the black finish holding up on the Icon irons?   

Figured it was worth bumping this thread since it's been a while! 😉

The DBM finish is absolutely pristine everywhere but the sweet spot and along the leading edge of the soles. And even in those areas that see the most wear they still look really good. I’d normally include some pics but my gamer bag is currently in TX. Looking forward to being reunited those beauties in the near future.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

26 minutes ago, downlowkey said:

The DBM finish is absolutely pristine everywhere but the sweet spot and along the leading edge of the soles. And even in those areas that see the most wear they still look really good. I’d normally include some pics but my gamer bag is currently in TX. Looking forward to being reunited those beauties in the near future.

Great news. Those irons look great and it’s even better if the finish holds up! A little wear around the sweet spot  never bothered me considering that means I’ve found it more than once! Haha

• Like 3

:cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12 Classic, 56.10 Versatile, 60.04 Widelow - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

#cuetheduckboats

1 hour ago, B.Boston said:

Great news...A little wear around the sweet spot  never bothered me considering that means I’ve found it more than once! Haha

It makes alignment easier 🙂

• Like 1
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide
  • Oncore Elixr

Western, NY

5.7 Index

5 minutes ago, bens197 said:

It makes alignment easier 🙂

And it scares people from betting against you. 😂

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

#cuetheduckboats

The PTx Pro is on my radar if I need to make the switch to graphite shafts due to health reasons. I currently play the Apex Edge Pro and love the irons. I could even reshaft the Edge Pros if need be. I figure the transition to the PTx would be seamless; the shaft transition is up in the air.

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ Aldila DVS

:macgregor-small: MT 3W Aldila DVS/Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro Apex 4 (5-E)

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S

:titelist-small: Cameron Studio Design #5

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL