TESTERS WANTED! ×

2020 Official Member Review: Ben Hogan Icon & PTX Pro/Icon Combo Irons

I got my Black Players Combo set 4-7 PTx Pro (no UiHi in black sadly) & 8-PW Icons with Tour-V 120 X in them and I absolutely love them.

Distances are super consistent, love the stopping power even in the lower lofted irons..

Need to play more and work is getting in the way.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Bo Derek of Irons sold them for me!!! lol @joen

Currently playing some 50th Anniversary APEX blades from 2003. Need a little help now in the longer irons, as i'm not playing as much as i did, so will be ordering either the PTx PROs or the Combo set later this month.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, downlowkey said:

🚨 Zombie Thread Alert 🚨

Finally got around to lacing up my spare set of Matrix Ozik Program 130 shafts in the ICONs on Saturday. Assuming that Sunday’s round in blustery conditions was indicative of their enduring utility, I should have dug into this project much sooner. If a smoother loading shaft exists, I’ve never swung it. Great balance, touch higher launch and tight draws. I also personally think the color combo turned out none too shabby.

141A1732-CBB4-409E-9373-71BD7C324EB6.jpeg.0c389be3f3b27eca2948d07c6804dcfb.jpeg

These were originally a set of Adams CMB pullouts that should have covered 4-PW. Upon closer inspection, the tip on the 5-iron looked a smidge overcooked, so I ended up soft stepping the 4-iron shaft and slipping an Adams Super Proto DHY into the 4-iron slot.

Shout out to Grail Golf for the long red collared ferrules and @PokeForeLyfe for a great deal on the shafts. This DIY project was under $130 out the door! With the daylight savings switch around the corner, I’m super stoked about spending more quality time with these beauties!

Those look great. I don’t know much about Ozik’s but I hope they pair nicely. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

• 1 year later...

How's everyone's irons holding up to the test of time? Are they still in the bag and are they looking to be cherished with the company no longer in buisness.

Driver:  :titleist-small: TSR3 8°, set to A1, Graphite Design UB 7X 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small:SIM 3 Wood 15°, Aldila Rouge Silver 7X

3 Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 18°, Ventus Blue 8S

2 Utility: :srixon-small: ZX Utility, LA Golf Tour AXS Blue, (15th club)

4i-AW:  :srixon-small:ZX7, Tour Issue Dynamic Gold 120's S400

56°: :Sub70: TAIII, Dynamic Gold S400

60° :Sub70: TAIII, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :L.A.B.: Mezz1 Max

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour BX

Forum Reviews: 

:Sub70: Official Member Review Sub 70 TAIII Wedges

:Nippon: Official Member Review Zelos 7 Shaft Review

:vokey-small:Unofficial Vokey SM8 and Wedge & Wedge Works Review 

:srixon-small:Unofficial Srixon 2021 ZX7 Iron Review

:titleist-small: Unofficial TSR3 Review

On 6/16/2023 at 7:51 AM, ZMendle10 said:

How's everyone's irons holding up to the test of time? Are they still in the bag and are they looking to be cherished with the company no longer in buisness.

In response to your first question, the ICONs are holding up great to Father Time and sandy TX turf. My aging joints on the other hand, not so much. Which leads me into a somewhat conflicted outlook re: how best to cherish what I think is one of the best sets of blades ever forged.

The timing of your inquiry seems particularly prescient as I was literally staring at these items and genuinely considering kicking off this treatment today.

IMG_1068.jpeg.fd9df908f885a9ca9b914b6f355dc5f5.jpeg

The project has been on my mind for a few months and the first step was finishing a blueprint build of 4-PW Adams CMBs to keep me happy out on the links during any ensuing interim. The CMBs turned out amazing (my WITB deserves a fresh post) so all that remains is whether or not to pull the trigger on what would be an ultra-rare set of raw ICONs.

The 4-iron head pictured above was already loose - figured I could start with that and see how it turned out. But I’m seriously struggling with even that relatively minor decision.

@GolfSpy_APH is this the sort of dilemma we could pose here to the forum in a proper thread poll. Something like…

Should DLK give his precious discontinued Ben Hogan ICON Blacks the raw finish treatment?

Absolutely not - that would be sacrilege, those blades are perfection, put them back in your gamer bag immediately

Oh my, yes - but he damn well better document the entire process on the forum and commit to the best build ever, drown them all in vinegar already

IMG_1069.jpeg.dde6eefa977ee3513917cbe73e209e37.jpeg

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

I am still playing the PTxPros and I love them. I think the only thing that will get them out of the bag is curiosity on my part (I am anxiously awaiting the Maltby TE+ DBM release). They still perform very well and I have now had them in the bag for 3 seasons. Look great, not that difficult to hit and have excellent flight and somewhat traditional lofts. Plus the sole is amazing. 

B5806996-F737-4060-82E7-D4FA2B419798.jpeg

48982562-1061-4BA9-A7EC-A3BBE4A4A629.jpeg

Edited by vandyland

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832