GolfSpy Stroker

2020 Official Member Review: Ben Hogan Icon & PTX Pro/Icon Combo Irons

Our Sponsors

I can’t wait to start this review, I’ve got a serious head start on the ptxpro’s, and seriously can’t wait for the Icons. I dearly miss my Mizzy mp5’s, especially the scoring end, which the Icons will replace. And the 4UiHi is so deeply needed. My hybrid has lost my confidence... so sad...

but I will say, ....nah, I better wait... haha.

maybe I can say it’s not a bad idea to buy some a Hogan stock? Is there such a thing?

• Like 9

:ping-small: G400 LSTec driver 10° on Aldila X-Torsion Stiff

:callaway-small: 816 Alpha 3-wood 15° On Aldila Rogue Stiff

:callaway-small: 815 GBB Alpha hybrid 19° On Fujikura Speeder 865 Stiff

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood

:benhogan-small: Ptx Pro 5-P irons on KBS Tour V 110 S

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on recoil 780 Stiff

:mizuno-small: MP5/MP25 combo

Sub70  Wedges 50°, 54°, 58° Raw, on Recoil 760 SmacWrap

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact #3 putter

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

Sketcher shoes

Learning a new edit system during Covid so I cut together a little something.....

@deejaid This is amazing. You just gave me a great idea for my review. I have no talent like you but my wife is a graphic designer and been doing some video editing for our church... Now I just need to convince her to do all the work haha.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
3W:  Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead 2
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50º: Maltby TSW

56º:  Cleveland RTX-2 
60º: Maltby Tour Grind MG
Putter:  Odyssey White Hot RX 2-ball

Ball: Snell MTB X
Other: Game Golf Live
Handicap: 5.9  -  Best Score: 73 (1 over) Bryan Park - Players Course, Greensboro NC -2020

2020 MGS Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

1 hour ago, Sluggo42 said:

I can’t wait to start this review, I’ve got a serious head start on the ptxpro’s, and seriously can’t wait for the Icons. I dearly miss my Mizzy mp5’s, especially the scoring end, which the Icons will replace. And the 4UiHi is so deeply needed. My hybrid has lost my confidence... so sad...

but I will say, ....nah, I better wait... haha.

maybe I can say it’s not a bad idea to buy some a Hogan stock? Is there such a thing?

We are all looking forward to this review!!

Man I love testing season, seeing the thrill of other golfers as they get the new stuff, watching their love for the clubs develop, seeing the honeymoon period wear off and reality hit and the honest reviews. THIS PLACE ROCKS!!!! 😍😍🤩

Sorry, just got a little excited there 😄😎

• Like 5

CobraConnectChallenge3

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3 Hybrid - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 4-PW - True Temper XP95 Reg
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° -True Temper XP95 Reg
Putter:     :rife-putters-1: - LH - Two Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :srixon-small: Zstar

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 for the #cobraconnectchallenge3

Lots of times I enjoy reviews just because I like to see what others do. You guys all amaze this old school guy with your technical skills.

This test is different though. I’m looking forward to hearing how you all do with this particularly as they transition through the set.

I had a great integrated combo iron set for a number of years and have longed for that same set up since I aged out of them. It’s eluded me so far - either the turf interaction differs as the model type changes or the gapping is not right or the visual between model switches is too dramatic - right now I’ve settled for that last one - the jump from a SCOR 48 which is a blade to a GI Ping G30 PW is very tough on the eyes.

Looking forward to it gents - Sluggo I particularly have my eyes on you on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Tour Exotics EX 10 3 wood

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Very nice. Congrats testers. I'm looking forward to reading the results of the test. I'm particularly interested in the combo set. Will that include a UiHi utility iron? 

And not for nothing, I do expect at least one of the testers to be sporting the "signature" Ben Hogan cap. LOL

• Like 2

:taylormade-small: Supreme Hybrid Stand Bag

:ping-small: G400 Max 10.5° set to 9.5° w/ALTA CB R

image.png Gen 1 0341 3 wood 15° w/Project X Even Flow Blue 5.5

:ping-small: G30 Hybrid 3 19° w/TFC 419H R

or

image.png.d8e51f080f79bd1170356e82e2b2d0ed.png Driving Iron 18° w/Mitsubishi Kura Kage Black S

:ping-small: G410 Crossover 4 23° Green Dot Mitsubishi Tensei Blue R 

image.png 0211 irons 5 - GW 2° upright w/True Temper Elevate R 

:callaway-small: MD3 54.12 W Grind and MD3 58.09 S Grind w/True Temper Dynamic Gold

:EVNROLL: ER7 34”

Lots of times I enjoy reviews just because I like to see what others do. You guys all amaze this old school guy with your technical skills.

This test is different though. I’m looking forward to hearing how you all do with this particularly as they transition through the set.

I had a great integrated combo iron set for a number of years and have longed for that same set up since I aged out of them. It’s eluded me so far - either the turf interaction differs as the model type changes or the gapping is not right or the visual between model switches is too dramatic - right now I’ve settled for that last one - the jump from a SCOR 48 which is a blade to a GI Ping G30 PW is very tough on the eyes.

Looking forward to it gents - Sluggo I particularly have my eyes on you on this one.

Gapping between the 4 Utility Iron and the PTx Pro 5-iron and the gap between the PTx Pro 7-iron to the Icon 8-iron are of upmost importance to me and I will surely address it in my review.

I had the Ft. Worth’s a few years ago along with the Ft. Worth Hi utility iron. The gap between the utility and the Ft. Worth was over 20 yards. I felt like I had to carry the 4 Utility iron AND the regular 4-iron to keep my gaps.

I’m also a bit concerned about the transition from the PTx Pro 7-iron into the Icon 8-iron. Given all the talk of consistent 4* club gapping won’t the hollow head 7-iron with it’s hotter face fly much higher and further than the 10-12 yard gap you’d want to your traditional 8-iron?

It will be interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 5

WITB:

Powerbilt 807 woods

Pedersen Exel Stainless irons 3-PW

Wilson 3D Triple Duty wedge

Rife Legend Z Putter

Very nice. Congrats testers. I'm looking forward to reading the results of the test. I'm particularly interested in the combo set. Will that include a UiHi utility iron? 
And not for nothing, I do expect at least one of the testers to be sporting the "signature" Ben Hogan cap. LOL

A few of us will be testing the UiHi Utility 4-iron in our sets.

As for the hat, I usually wear a Kangol 507 which is pretty close to the Hogan hat but just found another skin cancer so it looks like I’ll be switching to a broad brim soon.

Of course I gotta wear the 507 for the review though!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

WITB:

Powerbilt 807 woods

Pedersen Exel Stainless irons 3-PW

Wilson 3D Triple Duty wedge

Rife Legend Z Putter

On 5/22/2020 at 11:04 AM, hartrick11 said:

Congrats gents. The idea of this combo set is so perfect in my mind... can't wait to hear some impressions and if your experiences light a fire in my wallet. I am sooo itching to buy something after paying for nothing but groceries for the last few months... as long as I can stay gainfully employed that is 😐

Your cap indicates a reasonable ability to strike the scoring irons. The one thing I miss about my mizzy mp5’s, was the blades up top. But getting older does make the longer irons harder to hit, especially the 4, and this is where the 4UiHi should shine.

i couldn’t agree more with your assessment... I can hardly wait for these babies to get here. And I play 3-4 days a week at a minimum, so my results will be pouring in quickly...

• Like 3

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

Sketcher shoes

6 hours ago, revkev said:

Haha Rev, yes. I think our games are pretty close, and I was playing the mizzy mp5’s/mp25 combo,  but my break started at the 5. The Hogan’s start at the 7 As you know, so really at the dart throwing range. The visual was stark between them, and I never really liked that. Being well versed now on the v-sole will also be a large topic for me. I’m also moving from steel back to graphite, as my arthritis is returning, old age is cruel to the golfer...

• Like 2

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

Sketcher shoes

18 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

Your cap indicates a reasonable ability to strike the scoring irons. The one thing I miss about my mizzy mp5’s, was the blades up top. But getting older does make the longer irons harder to hit, especially the 4, and this is where the 4UiHi should shine.

i couldn’t agree more with your assessment... I can hardly wait for these babies to get here. And I play 3-4 days a week at a minimum, so my results will be pouring in quickly...

The UiHi is something I'm particularly interested in, especially since you have blades experience. I am steep with my approach and have struggled on shots with other utility irons off the deck in the past. Does the V-sole enable the UiHi to provide extra help while still getting decent turf interaction? I may need to just order a 2 week demo to test along with you guys...

• Like 2

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairway:   :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ 15* w/ Atmos Black 7X 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818H2 19* w/ Tensei White 90  

Irons: :cobra-small: King Forged CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

1 hour ago, hartrick11 said:

The UiHi is something I'm particularly interested in, especially since you have blades experience. I am steep with my approach and have struggled on shots with other utility irons off the deck in the past. Does the V-sole enable the UiHi to provide extra help while still getting decent turf interaction? I may need to just order a 2 week demo to test along with you guys...

I haven’t hit the UiHi yet obviously, but the 5 or 6 iron with the v-sole is pretty sweet. I’ve also worked on shallowing my delivery which helps a bit too. Sometimes a steep AOA comes from a little bit over the top swing. Is your typical hit a fade?

• Like 1

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

Sketcher shoes

@downlowkey, if you put this new set in the bag full-time I'd like a crack at those Adams MB2's lol. Congrats on another great testing opportunity!

Looking forward to what everyone has to say!!!

• Like 2

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Pro S300
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura 6m 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

I haven’t hit the UiHi yet obviously, but the 5 or 6 iron with the v-sole is pretty sweet. I’ve also worked on shallowing my delivery which helps a bit too. Sometimes a steep AOA comes from a little bit over the top swing. Is your typical hit a fade?

My miss is a hook; sometimes overcooked, sometimes the dreaded pull hook... so I have several issues earlier in my swing that I've been working on, initially with lessons and now with videos from Monte Scheinblum. I've been able to shallow the AOA with some level of consistency and my hips don't stall out as much as they used to, but since becoming a dad my range time has taken a hit and old habits die hard!

• Like 1

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairway:   :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ 15* w/ Atmos Black 7X 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818H2 19* w/ Tensei White 90  

Irons: :cobra-small: King Forged CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

Is it just me or does anyone else feel like a kid waiting for Christmas (arrival of Hogan irons)???

Are we there yet??? (Are the irons here yet???)

😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

I am very excited to try out this combo set. I put together my own combo set, and I am excited to see how a for market combo set performs.....and compares to what I cobbled together. 

Is that the UPS TRUCK OUTSIDE?  Lol. 

• Like 8

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex shaft

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB irons 4-6 regular flex

:mizuno-small: JPX 850 7 iron thru Gap Wedge with KBS C taper lite shaft

:mizuno-small: S 5 wedges. 56/16 and 60/06.

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

Right Handed. 

I am very curious to hear your thoughts regarding the two sets. 

• Like 2

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex shaft

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB irons 4-6 regular flex

:mizuno-small: JPX 850 7 iron thru Gap Wedge with KBS C taper lite shaft

:mizuno-small: S 5 wedges. 56/16 and 60/06.

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

Right Handed. 

14 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

@downlowkey, if you put this new set in the bag full-time I'd like a crack at those Adams MB2's lol. Congrats on another great testing opportunity!

Looking forward to what everyone has to say!!!

I’m going into this review with an open mind, but the Icons will have to be pretty special to kick the MB2s out of the bag.

The Hogans look absolutely stunning and I’m very curious to see the affect V-SOLE has on trajectory control and turf interaction.

• Like 9

:ping-small:___________G400 LST 9* - Ping Tour 65 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:adams-small:_Super Proto DHY 21* - Matrix Ozik Altus hX3 S
:adams-small: _Idea MB2 4-PW - Matrix Program 130 6.5
:cleveland-small:_________RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
Bettinardi.png.e7ca0ee7ba785611a4a144e16b6b93ab.png___SS38 Armlock
k_sig.jpg.00b599e7e823c61015277de38ca16982.jpg___'18 4-piece
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

1 hour ago, downlowkey said:

I’m going into this review with an open mind, but the Icons will have to be pretty special to kick the MB2s out of the bag.

The Hogans look absolutely stunning and I’m very curious to see the affect V-SOLE has on trajectory control and turf interaction.

Same here.  The Maltby TS1 set I built is easily one of the top performing sets I have ever owned.  What I can say is that I played the Ft. Worth's with HI irons for two seasons as a 21-24-27 in the HI irons and 31-47 in the blades.  The biggest issue I had with the blades was the sole was narrower than the width of a sheet of paper.  On the days where I was not playing well, I could not fake it.  

While the combo set is only 8-P in the Icon, I still hope that the sole has been addressed and widened slightly to offer some lower CG as well as better turf interaction.  These are being marketed to a better player who can still shoot in the 80's so I would imagine (HOPE) that the 8-P would be slightly wider.  

As far as the UiHi goes, If they improved on the Ft Worth HI iron, this will be the best long iron in the game.  The HI irons were the best long irons I have ever swung, period.  I am really excited to put these irons to the test and see how they fare.  I will be comparing these to a set of Player's Distance irons so I hope that those who are on the fence will see how they compare and contrast.

• Like 8

• PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TS1 4-G Nippon Modus3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Maltby TSW 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide 2020
  • Oncore Elixr

Rochester, NY

4.3 Index

Haha Rev, yes. I think our games are pretty close, and I was playing the mizzy mp5’s/mp25 combo,  but my break started at the 5. The Hogan’s start at the 7 As you know, so really at the dart throwing range. The visual was stark between them, and I never really liked that. Being well versed now on the v-sole will also be a large topic for me. I’m also moving from steel back to graphite, as my arthritis is returning, old age is cruel to the golfer...

I have V soles in my wedges so that’s a non-factor for me - it’s that 7-8 gap that I’m most interested in. I can always tweak lofts at the top end on my own.

• Like 1

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Tour Exotics EX 10 3 wood

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

4 hours ago, revkev said:

I have V soles in my wedges so that’s a non-factor for me - it’s that 7-8 gap that I’m most interested in. I can always tweak lofts at the top end on my own.

Yes, the gap at the blade to modern clubs.. I am also wondering how that will be. But, my PtxPro’s weren’t exactly longer than the old mizzy blades, so hopefully it’s seamless. But, we shall soon find out! But I’ll bet that they have that addressed prior to selling them as a “combo set” from the factory, right?

• Like 4

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

Sketcher shoes

On 5/25/2020 at 12:57 AM, deejaid said:

Learning a new edit system during Covid so I cut together a little something.....

That's awesome!  I love the way you blended/split screen the Hogan footage along with the new irons.  

I just got my set of ICON irons and Equalizer wedges today.  Can't wait to get out this weekend for a spin around the links.

• Like 5