Sign in to follow this  
AH1980MN

Shaft comparison- RIP gamma, Tensei White, Atmos ts Black, others?

Our Sponsors

Well, how would you compare them against each other? Any other notables?

Luckily for starters - they're different colours....

I was hoping you'd chime in, Jasanski. Really though any thoughts?

17 minutes ago, AH1980MN said:

I was hoping you'd chime in, Jasanski. Really though any thoughts?

To answer your question,  you probably need to provide more info.  What do you want to know?  Have you tried them?  have you tried something similar? 

Well - in order to form any sort of comparison between shafts, you have to do it on an objective basis. There has to be some common ground - otherwise there is no comparison at all, if you see what I mean.

Shafts come in all designs, weights, flexes etc. so when comparing at least 3 different models they have to fall within a category that narrows down the options that separate them. In the case of the 3 designs listed by the OP, you could generally put them in the category of low launch. That's the easy part.

Now look at the weight categories available - again generally as the weight goes up the shaft characteristics increase accordingly (ie they get stiffer, with less torque).

Now look at each flex category - again generally each increasing flex class increases the relative shaft characteristic - but this time it is possible to get a heavy regular into the same ballpark flex category as a lighter stiff shaft and the same for each weight.flex category.

Lastly, look at the sum of the total shaft characteristics and how to use that overall profile to benefit the player. That is an objective comparison based on any similar properties.

If however you want a top 3 in no particular order you could do it in other ways - the Tensei White generally feels the smoothest, the Atmos Black generally spins lowest, the RIP Gamma is the easiest swinging because it's counter-balanced. It all depends what you're looking for really and what type of player you are. If I saw a swing video and some launch numbers I might not recommend one them over another or even one of them at all. So any comparison needs to be quantified before you can form any real opinion - even preference in colour...

Edited by jaskanski
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, jaskanski said:

Well - in order to form any sort of comparison between shafts, you have to do it on an objective basis. There has to be some common ground - otherwise there is no comparison at all, if you see what I mean.

Shafts come in all designs, weights, flexes etc. so when comparing at least 3 different models they have to fall within a category that narrows down the options that separate them. In the case of the 3 designs listed by the OP, you could generally put them in the category of low launch. That's the easy part.

Now look at the weight categories available - again generally as the weight goes up the shaft characteristics increase accordingly (ie they get stiffer, with less torque).

Now look at each flex category - again generally each increasing flex class increases the relative shaft characteristic - but this time it is possible to get a heavy regular into the same ballpark flex category as a lighter stiff shaft and the same for each weight.flex category.

Lastly, look at the sum of the total shaft characteristics and how to use that overall profile to benefit the player. That is an objective comparison based any similar properties.

If however you want a top 3 in no particular order you could do it in other ways - the Tensei White generally feels the smoothest, the Atmos Black generally spins lowest, the RIP Gamma is the easiest swinging because it's counter-balanced. It all depends what you're looking for really and what type of player you are. If I saw a swing video and some launch numbers I might not recommend one them over another or even one of them at all. So any comparison needs to be quantified before you can form any real opinion - even preference in colour...

This. And then on top of that, everyone reacts to different feels/flexes/weights uniquely so a shaft that makes one golfer shallow out more could make another golfer come over the top more.