Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Improving Consistency and Keeping a Level Head When Inconsistency Strikes

After having a horrendous practice session yesterday (hit maybe three good shots before beginning to lose my cool) I thought I would come on here to see if you guys have any advice as far as improving consistency, and tips for maintaining a positive outlook even when nothing goes your way. Currently I am struggling with an in to out club path and excessive grip roll (due to an ever changing grip for whatever reason) which can begin to be aggravating at times. So I suppose this would be the second part of my question as far as swing thoughts and feels I could utilize to help me form a neutral club path that is repeatable.

Thank you all for any and all advice you might have and I hope everyone is staying safe during these times. 

Most Recent Testing: :Sub70: 949x PRO Hybrid 

In my  :callaway-small: 2019 X-Cart Bag :  

:taylormade-small: M3 10.5* (TENSEI Blue 6R)

:benhogan-small: GS53 3W 14* (Review)

:mizuno-small: CLK 2017 4H 22* 

:taylormade-small: M6 Irons 4-PW (KBS MAX 85g Stiff Steel Shafts, Std Length & Lie)

AW, SW: :Sub70: Forged Satin 48*, 54* 

LW::vokey-small: SM6 60*

:wilson_staff_small:  Infinite Putter Michigan Ave 34"

:bridgestone-small: e6  

Current Tech:

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Rangefinder

:skycaddie: LX5 GPS Smartwatch (Review)

4 minutes ago, AGutierrez7 said:

After having a horrendous practice session yesterday (hit maybe three good shots before beginning to lose my cool) I thought I would come on here to see if you guys have any advice as far as improving consistency, and tips for maintaining a positive outlook even when nothing goes your way. Currently I am struggling with an in to out club path and excessive grip roll (due to an ever changing grip for whatever reason) which can begin to be aggravating at times. So I suppose this would be the second part of my question as far as swing thoughts and feels I could utilize to help me form a neutral club path that is repeatable.

Thank you all for any and all advice you might have and I hope everyone is staying safe during these times. 

Without video and even with I am not sure you want our swing advice.

On the mental side it is cliche but it is the truth also. Manage your expectations and worry about the things you can control. If/when you hit a bad shot, forget it and move on focusing on the next. 

There are plenty of tricks out there to help fool the mind. 

One of the things that I have learned/relearned lately is that your mind doesn't differentiate between real and fantasy. So you can use that to help when struggling. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

16 minutes ago, AGutierrez7 said:

@THEZIPR23 is absolutely correct, anyone who gives you advice without actually seeing you swing should be ignored completely.  The ones who watch your video and give advice, 90% of them should also be ignored.  Find someone who can help you to diagnose your issue(s), and who can help you to make the most important single change.  Then work diligently to make that change before you move on to the next most important change.

Having said that, I'll give you some advice, but its not really swing advice.  Your grip changes all the time for no apparent reason?  Just stop it!  You're the one gripping the club, make a decision to do it the same way every single time.  The grip is one of the easiest things to get right, there are no moving parts when you take your grip, so do it right, and do it the same all the time.

Part of the instruction I hope you get should be drills to help you learn and ingrain the changes you'll need to make.  You can't go from your current full swing to a different full swing all at once, you need to learn.  If you have those drills, you can go back to those drills when things start to go off the rails a bit.  Having that kind of basic tool to get you back to doing the right stuff can be really helpful.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

You might try doing an “if/then” practice session on occasion, especially when what you are working on becomes frustrating.

In an “if/then“ session, you do not judge results as good or bad.  You just observe what happens.  If I do X, then Y happens.  Again though, don’t judge as good or bad.  It’s cause and effect only.  Be curious and playful, not judgmental.

For example:  you are working on your swing path.  Take a normal swing and see how it feels.  Then try exaggerating the move.  If I try to swing way over the top and exaggerate the out to in path this happens.  How did that feel different from the regular swing?  Then exaggerate the opposite, swing way inside and feel like you are swinging down the first base line.  If I swing way inside, this happens.  How did that feel different?  Then do your regular swing again.  How did it feel compared to the other swings?

I agree completely with Dave regarding the grip.  Learn to grip the club consistently.  If you want to test out different grips, fine.  But do it systematically.  If I grip the club this way, A happens.  If I grip it another way, B happens.  It will make you more aware of your grip and should help you find the grip that best suits your swing.  Once you find it, practice it every session until you do it automatically.  Then keep practicing it.