TESTERS WANTED! ×

2020 Golf: what’s your experience/stories/courses

Ig: @gram_golf

2020 Golf: what’s different, better/worse?
Interested in other people’s experiences as this season kicks off in many places
Any local rule changes?
Weird or cool first rounds stories?

Changes to your game? 

How pumped are you for golf (finally!)?

I live in SE Michigan and we’ve got strongly-suggested walk, minimal golf carts, and raised cups. Was hoping to test my putting practice out, but speed is still off. 

SUPER excited to get back on the course: so much so that I froze my ass off in early May in 25 wind-chill weather. Not smart, but...

The most noticeable change for me is the increased pace of play, with everyone in a 2 ball at most.

The course is in great condition (it's not had me taking chunks out of it for weeks).  The green keepers are still playing catch up with trimming the rough and 'fine tuning' the greens, but they have done great so far.

Really has been business as usual here in Arizona. For a while there the rounds were quicker as groups were being spaced out 15 minutes, which was really nice but obviously not sustainable for the courses.

Right now I am really stoked about my game. Have really been improving lately, and have identified where else I should be able to make quick improvements. Been practicing several times a week, especially on the short game. So I'm just pumped to get out. Usually only play 3 times a month, but am playing this sunday and monday. 

Funny story, sort of. I go out to play Verrado Victory Golf Course, which is pretty far out of town up against the mountains. The course is gorgeous and I'm taking it all in, as the marshall is giving us his speel. You get the normal, take you club out in the desert talk as there could be snakes. The guy I am playing with is a snowbird from Canada but interjects, "i've played 300 rounds around Phoenix and never seen a snake once." The marshall says, "Yeah, well they like to hang out around on 15." So we head out for a beautiful day despite my 3 putt from 18ft on #1.

Sure as the sun is hot, we roll up to the teebox at 15, and there is a 5 foot long, 0 footed friend there to greet us. He was headed to the whites. I've never been happier to hit from the blues. 

image.png.52ce4cab4a0aa5cd8fc674c588961d6a.png

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

Never been to Arizona - definitely on the short list for golf destinations!
I have been told about the snakes and spiders, but glad to know the stories are true... may have to bring some extra sleeves of balls. This dude is NOT interested in meeting either in the bushes. 

What local courses do you suggest? And should I go Scottsdale or check out other cities?

1. New golf rules combined with COVID-19 golf rules has definitely increased the pace of play in my area.

2. Looks like a lot of first timers hitting the links in an effort to get out of the house.

3. Decreased number of rounds has improved the golf course conditions. Greens are in the best shape I’ve seen in years.

4. Afternoon golf is a have it your way feast. I’ve played several rounds where I was all by my lonesome.

5. Old at risk dudes hanging out in the parking lot after their round. The need for social interaction on the course has found its way to the parking lot.

6. Spring weather has been a great balance of rain and sunshine.

7. No new equipment this season. I’m actually trying to clear out the old.

8. I’m closing on a new (new to me) home next month. It’s located just off the # 4 green at Cobblestone Golf Club here in Columbia, SC.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Ig: @gram_golf

2020 Golf: what’s different, better/worse?
Interested in other people’s experiences as this season kicks off in many places
Any local rule changes?
Weird or cool first rounds stories?
Changes to your game? 

How pumped are you for golf (finally!)?

I live in SE Michigan and we’ve got strongly-suggested walk, minimal golf carts, and raised cups. Was hoping to test my putting practice out, but speed is still off. 

SUPER excited to get back on the course: so much so that I froze my ass off in early May in 25 wind-chill weather. Not smart, but...

Where in SE Michigan? I grew-up in Ypsilanti/Ann Arbor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

7 hours ago, dgoober said:

Never been to Arizona - definitely on the short list for golf destinations!
I have been told about the snakes and spiders, but glad to know the stories are true... may have to bring some extra sleeves of balls. This dude is NOT interested in meeting either in the bushes. 

What local courses do you suggest? And should I go Scottsdale or check out other cities?

Haven't had any real run-ins with spiders. Haven't seen a scorpion yet either. Just that one rattlesnake. You do always take a club with you when you are ball hunting just in case. 

Scottsdale is a fantastic area to visit. If I was on a shorter trip, I would just stay in the area. Plenty of great golf courses like Grayhawk, Troon North, TPC Scottsdale, Boulders, etc., a lot of day time attractions, and plenty of night life. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

Started the year in March with a trip to Phoenix to start getting ready for US Open qualifying and had a good few days in the desert. Well now that qualifying is cancelled and it is the US Invitational I am back to just playing golf to play golf. Rounds at my club are at a better pace of play but not being able to socialize after the round again makes it just golf for the sake of golf which is a bit refreshing but also makes club golf a bit stale. So far 2020 golf is just ho hum, nice to be out there but not a lot to motivate me to practice or improve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS 9* SHAFT TBD...

:taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

:taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

:taylormade-small: Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

:callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

:callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

:callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Ive actually been very disappointed in my home course and feel like they are being to precautionary. Driving range closed, pro shop 2 people max. Show up 15 minutes before time so by the time you check in you basically cant warm up , even putt. Online booking not aloud , all leagues and tournaments cancelled already for the entire year.. I am actually asking for my money back and thinking Ill switch clubs

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

I’ve had mixed experiences down here in Alabama. Some of the public golf courses only closed for a couple weeks max. The main course I usually play had their range and pro shop shut down along with 1 person per cart which is still the case with the carts. A lot of the courses are in great shape, but the courses are packed with people. It seems way worse than normal. If you are not one of the early tee times, expect a long round. To me, it’s hard to get in a groove when you got 3 groups consistently waiting on Par 4/5s.

Cobra Connect 5 participant 

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

:cobra-small: Big Tour 3 wood/ 5 wood w/ Fujikura X F3 60S shaft

:cobra-small: 4 Hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 80S shaft

:cobra-small: Copper MIM Tour Irons w/ KBS $ Taper Balck 120S shaft

:cobra-small: Snakebite 50, 54, and 58 wedges w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S shaft

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

Nothing interesting here for me but I want to see some GATOR pictures lol. Wheres my southern gator wranglers at?!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!