Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Bending Iron Lofts Lower Effecting Turf Interaction

I have bent most of my current irons  2 or more degrees lower, and have noticed that my turf interaction in the last few months has not felt great. I know its a general rule that taking loft off effectively lowers bounce, but has anyone experienced something similar? I am a fairly steep player, some more bounce is typically better for me.  Thanks!

It is not a general rule.  Every degree you deloft reduces bounce a degree.  The 2 degree deloft you did reduced bounce 2 degrees. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• Guests
Guest Delete

The leading edge relief on some clubs is sometimes referred to as a pre-worn leading edge. This can help clubs with less bounce to have better turf interaction. 

I start off with that because it can be added by a skilled club builder and a grinder. 

The factory bounce on a club can vary dramatically from club model to model. Some models have only 3 to 5 degrees of bounce in the whole set. Some clubs increase bounce from 3 degrees on the 3 iron to 10 degrees on the pitching wedge - progressive bounce. And some models have lots of bounce higher than 10 degrees in the short irons like Ping G's. 

The bounce changes the impact location on the face. You mentioned being steep so having higher bounce would help to keep impact in the correct vertical orientation on the face and relief from the turf.

My experience is lower bounce makes impact on the face raise a groove or two. Higher face impact launches higher with less efficiency. 

Now this is unless someone has a problem hitting it thin because they come in shallow with a picking swing and little turf interaction. This is the perfect scenario for low bounce and maybe even very little edge relief. Too much bounce and a shallow picker are a recipe for disaster. 

Knowing you decreased the bounce by decreasing the loft you can do 3 things:

1. Put them back to factory specs to get back the bounce and use the clubs as they were intended.
  2. Have the leading edge ground to a worn, rounded leading edge to make the improve turf interaction
  3. Change the turf interaction by changing either your impact position (more forward) or path more shallow to match the change in loft and bounce. Basically, less forward shaft lean at impact (but not none)

It might help to talk about specifics if you tell us what clubs you are taking about?

I have a buddy that plays all cb and mb 2* strong with no issues. 

A steep swing will have the potential to be impacted more than a shallow swing

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

That is an interesting question and good to know. I am thinking about bending 3 iron down to a 2 iron degree since they do not make it in a lefty. Hmm may need to find a good grinder

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Currently what is in the bag:

Driver: Switch between a Callaway XR16 5 degree long drive driver, Titleist TS2 driver, or TaylorMade Mini Burner

Upper end of the back I switch out between:

Titleist U510 1 iron, Mizuno MP20HMB 3 iron bend down to 2 iron loft, Titleist TS2 3 and 5 wood, Callaway Epic 3 and 4 hybrid

Iron are Mizuno MP-20 SEL 3-PW 

Wedges are Vokey SM8's 46, 50, 54, 58, 62

Putter(s): switch between Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 Special or a Odyssey Tank 7 putter that I converted to an armlock putter.

All grips are Jumbo Max XL

Ball switched between ProV1 x, ProV1 left dash, and TP5 X

1 hour ago, mscall said:

That is an interesting question and good to know. I am thinking about bending 3 iron down to a 2 iron degree since they do not make it in a lefty. Hmm may need to find a good grinder

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

If you are bending stronger you don't need a grinder;  you will be reducing bounce.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG