MarkA

How do I get maximum value on trade-ins?

Our Sponsors

So I have a King Cobra F9 Tour 3W with a Orange Tensei in it. Let’s say I want to be in the market for a new 3W. The trade in value on that 3W is not very high, but obviously the shaft is $250.  Be kind of stupid to trade in the club for $100.  Any idea what is to be done in situations like this? Similarly I bought a G410 with a GD AD BB put in it for quite the upcharge, when it comes time to get a new driver I’d like to be able to get the proper amount of value for the shaft. Hope this makes sense and thank you for any assistance 

• Like 1

Sell it yourself on eBay. You can sell it complete or pull the shaft and sell them separately. When you search on eBay you can filter for sold listings (two links below) to see what people have been paying. I saw one where someone paid  $202 for your club with a tensei orange shaft. 

Cobra f9 tour fairway wood sold listings:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=cobra+f9+tour+fairway+wood&_sacat=0&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1

Just the shaft sold listings:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=tensei+orange+fairway&_trksid=p2334524.m4084.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xtensei+orange+fairway.TRS0&_osacat=0&_odkw=cobra+f9+tour+fairway+wood&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1 

• Like 5

So I have a King Cobra F9 Tour 3W with a Orange Tensei in it. Let’s say I want to be in the market for a new 3W. The trade in value on that 3W is not very high, but obviously the shaft is $250.  Be kind of stupid to trade in the club for $100.  Any idea what is to be done in situations like this? Similarly I bought a G410 with a GD AD BB put in it for quite the upcharge, when it comes time to get a new driver I’d like to be able to get the proper amount of value for the shaft. Hope this makes sense and thank you for any assistance 

I would also say to sell it outright yourself. You can sell it for what you want. Dealers will always give you just enough so they can make a couple dollars on it down the road. That is my opinion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Yeah, what ^^those two guys^^ said ... trade-ins do not give any extra credit for upgraded shafts, it's simply the "book value" (PGA Value Guide +/- a few $).

• Like 1

Personally, I would keep the shaft and buy a replacement head of your choice. I have done that recently on both my driver and 3 wood. You should be able to sell the old head for something if it's in decent shape. I also agree with the others, selling out right is better than trading.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Yeah, what ^^those two guys^^ said ... trade-ins do not give any extra credit for upgraded shafts, it's simply the "book value" (PGA Value Guide +/- a few $).

You’ll get more selling it yourself IF you can find someone else who wants exactly the combination you’re offering - may be difficult to get more than a stock F9 3W. I doubt custom fitted clubs bring much if any more than stock. I’d guess anyone who’d know enough to buy a head with an aftermarket shaft would just go get fit for themselves. Good luck finding that guy...

• Like 1

Find a stock shaft on eBay and trade it with that if you don't want to sell the head separately. Keep the exotic shaft or sell it separately. Either way you're going to lose a ton of money compared to what you paid.

• Like 4

I buy and sell a LOT of golf stuff on ebay mostly.

I buy heads, shafts, and clubs, I might buy a club because I want the shaft. High dollar shafts would be sold for higher prices here or other golf forums where the folks understand what they're buying. Higher cost shafts seldom bring much premium on Ebay unless they are highly desired with low supply.

Components will generally bring a better overall price than whole club but may take longer to sell as shafts can be difficult alone unless highly desired.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

You can always go to “Play it Again Sports” and sell it on consignment.....

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

14 hours ago, fozcycle said:

You can always go to “Play it Again Sports” and sell it on consignment.....

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Honestly, I would never do that. The type of person who is going to be buying a driver with an expensive exotic shaft is never going to step foot into a play-it-again sports to find it. In the meantime, the club is going to get beat to hell in their store.

• Like 2

Like a lot of people said, sell it on eBay. Click completed items and sold items so you know what similar stuff sold for. I’ve had a lot of luck selling things that way. 

• Like 1