Apparel cost!

SuperDave

I know we talked about the cost of equipment to manufacture and to purchase and the difference in between, but what about apparel.

You can purchase polos from the likes of Ben Hogan and PGA Tour for $15 to $20.

Then you have Travis Mathew, Donald Ross, Peter Millar, Greg Norman, William Murray that cost $60 to $90.

Are we really paying $45 to $70 extra for just a name.

And is it worth it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

If it comes down to it, my priorities are clubs and shoes. Gotta have comfortable shoes to walk the course so I will splurge on that aspect. I will only play clubs that feel and look right to me so I will spend the extra money. But I cannot bring myself to spend $75 or more for a golf shirt. I tend to look for sales and discounts from previous years fashions and wait until items go on sale.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 4

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

16 hours ago, SuperDave said:

I know we talked about the cost of equipment to manufacture and to purchase and the difference in between, but what about apparel.

You can purchase polos from the likes of Ben Hogan and PGA Tour for $15 to $20.

Then you have Travis Mathew, Donald Ross, Peter Millar, Greg Norman, William Murray that cost $60 to $90.

Are we really paying $45 to $70 extra for just a name.

And is it worth it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I agree.  Most of the polos I see advertised online are $100 or more.  A friend of mine bought a Callaway polo for $40 on sale at TJ Max last and felt it was a good deal.  I have yet to pay over $30 for one not on sale.  I didn't know until tonight about Ben Hogan apparel when I stumbled across the section at Wal-Mart.  Which brings me to my next point, I stocked up on Hogan shorts for $16.97 a pair which beats the heck out of the $60 and $70 shorts I've seen at Kohl's.  

• Like 3

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

I love Travis Mathew polos. But yes I even feel like Nike, ADIDAS, and UA are getting out of my comfort zone in price range. I’m and a huge clearance vulture. Huge fan of Nordstrom’s Rack App, and Scheels clearance rack. I’m also huge on feel of material, that’s where the premium brands get me. 

• Like 2

What's in the Bag

Bag- Sun Mountian 

Driver - Callaway Rouge 9.5* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow
Fairway wood - Ping G15 3 wood

Hybrid - Tour Edge Exotics XCG6 19* 
Irons - Callaway XR 5-PW
Wedges - Cleveland 588-RTX 52* 56* 60*
Putter - Scotty Cameron Select Newport 3 - SuperStroke Wrist lock Grip

I'm about saving money when it comes to the clothing. It has to fit right for me. Especially the shirts. Not to tight, room in the arm pits. I found many premium brands at discount stores. Found Greg Norman and PGA at Sam's Cub, Under Armour at Ross, Nike at Marshall's.  I pay in the teens for everything and still look like the guy who spent a few hundred. 

• Like 4

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/29/2020 at 4:10 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I'm about saving money when it comes to the clothing. It has to fit right for me. Especially the shirts. Not to tight, room in the arm pits. I found many premium brands at discount stores. Found Greg Norman and PGA at Sam's Cub, Under Armour at Ross, Nike at Marshall's.  I pay in the teens for everything and still look like the guy who spent a few hundred. 

Agreed, I spend a lot of time scouring ebay for shirts and I have been able to save tons of money just with a little time. I never pay full retail for golf shirts and will always see if I can find the shirt I like at a another place for cheap. I have had so many occasions where I almost bought a shirt or shorts from nike, then typed in the item into google and found it $20-40 cheaper somewhere else.

Right Handed

Taylormade sim2 9 degree ventus black 7x ( velecore) 44.5

Callaway epic flash sz 5 wood 17 degree tensi AV blue X

Mizuno CLK 19 degree tensi av blue X

Callaway x forged 16 4-pw Project x 6.0 +.75

Vokey SM7 black 50/54/58 Project x 6.0 flighted +.5 length 

Scotty cameron newport 2.6 34 length

• 2 months later...

I devote money to clubs and shoes, for clothes I usually get the Grand Slam brand from Khols. I feel they are every bit a comfortable and good looking as way bore expensive options.

:ping-small: G410 Plus Driver, Ping Tour 173-65 Regular

:ping-small: G410 5 wood, Ping Tour 173-65 Regular

:ping-small: G410 Crossover 3 Iron, Alta CB 70 Regular

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-LW Project X LZ 5.5

:scotty-small:   Phantom X 12

:titelist-small: Pro V1x Yellow

:Arccos:

I enjoy playing in Peter Millar, Greyson, RLX, G/Fore, Straight Down, etc..... I have several Travis Mathew polos but more for casual wear as the material shows sweat very easily.  

You can find a lot of deals at TJ Maxx or places like that, but I have had great luck with eBay!  You can find new with tag items and if you know your size then you can find unbelievable deals.  It's rare that I pay over $35 - $40 for a polo and we are talking some of the more expensive brands out there.  Just keep an eye out and do a bit more searching around rather than just buying straight from Golf Galaxy or Nordstrom.  Also, tend to buy either Under Armour Vented Short or Adidas 365 shorts and usually find them around $30 to $35.

As for the difference, I find that some of the brands I've mentioned tend to have a bit better materials, styles, but most importantly the fit tends to be a bit more spot on.  I prefer an athletic fit and not something loose through torso and arms.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

3 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Smoke Black RDX

4 Iron - Srixon ZX 23* Recoil F5

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

Yes, in most cases it’s worth it.  I’d rather buy a $50 FJ polo and have it for several years without collars rolling, dealing with Irish pennants or pulls in the material than a shirt that will do the contrary after a few washes. 

• TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

I wait until TGW or World wide golf shops has a sale on (email alerts). I normally buy Nike polo's, they are always bringing out new stuff so the old shirts are always on sale, sometimes $70-80 shirts for $35-40

:ping-small: Driver: G425 Max 10.5*
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:callaway-small: Hybrids: 4 & 5 Epic Flash, 2* lofted up
:callaway-small: Irons:  5 Rogue X, 6 - AW Rogue 
:titelist-small: Wedges:  Vokey SM8 54*S, 58*K
:cameron-small: Putter: 1995 Newport
:titelist-small: Ball: Yellow Titleist VG3
:nike-small: Bag: Nike Air Hybrid Golf Bag

I Love the Art of Putting!

On 6/17/2020 at 2:56 PM, Flip4000 said:

Agreed, I spend a lot of time scouring ebay for shirts and I have been able to save tons of money just with a little time. I never pay full retail for golf shirts and will always see if I can find the shirt I like at a another place for cheap. I have had so many occasions where I almost bought a shirt or shorts from nike, then typed in the item into google and found it $20-40 cheaper somewhere else.

Same here.  I have a bunch of Vineyard Vines polos that I picked up super cheap in auctions.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
GW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :taylormade-small: TP5X Pix
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I thrift, some of my best finds were Peter Millar for $6 each. I can regularly get UA/Adidas/Norman for under $5. Even when I bought new in the past it was sales at TJs and the Izod/Adidas outlets. Very rarely did I pay more than $20 for a shirt. I swear by the Haggar Cool 18 pants though. I will buy those new still, but there's always sales 2/$50 etc.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

I've been playing in Ben Hogan shorts and I have two complaints.  The material of the pockets sticks to golf gloves like crazy.  Which is actually not as much of an issue as at first.  I was keeping a spare tee and ball in my left pocket and when I grabbed them, my pocket would turn inside out.  The other complaint is that one back pocket comes sewn shut for some reason.  It's not really well sewn shut, so it's easy to remove the single thread.  I bought 5 pair and they all came that way.  For $17 a piece, I can't complain too much.  I will get a pair or two of the Ben Hogan pants this winter to see how they are.

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

I've been playing in Ben Hogan shorts and I have two complaints.  The material of the pockets sticks to golf gloves like crazy.  Which is actually not as much of an issue as at first.  I was keeping a spare tee and ball in my left pocket and when I grabbed them, my pocket would turn inside out.  The other complaint is that one back pocket comes sewn shut for some reason.  It's not really well sewn shut, so it's easy to remove the single thread.  I bought 5 pair and they all came that way.  For $17 a piece, I can't complain too much.  I will get a pair or two of the Ben Hogan pants this winter to see how they are.

SWMBO bought me a few pairs of those Ben Hogan shorts. They’ve lasted quite a while and still OK. Since I wear shorts every day (summer change 2x day) they take a lot of abuse.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

SWMBO bought me a few pairs of those Ben Hogan shorts. They’ve lasted quite a while and still OK. Since I wear shorts every day (summer change 2x day) they take a lot of abuse.

Hmmm twice a day? Inquiring minds want to know more.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Hmmm twice a day? Inquiring minds want to know more.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Florida HUMIDITY [emoji12]

• Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

While you certainly do pay a premium for name brands, there is also a quantifiable difference in materials and quality. I too typically look for good deals at Kohl's and have several pairs of Ben Hogan brand shorts from Walmart. They get the job done, there's no doubt about it. I also have a $75 FJ polo that I won in a tournament that is by far the most comfortable and breathable shirt I own as well as an Under Armour shirt and an Oakley shirt that were both given to me by a friend because they no longer fit him. They are both quite comfortable and breathable in comparison to less expensive shirts. The cheaper shirts I own are certainly comfortable at first glance, but as soon as you introduce heat and sweat the differences are quite noticeable. The materials used tend to be a bit thicker (or at least feel that way) and they just can't compete with how they manage moisture.

I will always purchase based based on my budget (which is typically quite small), but when presented the opportunity to get something nicer I most certainly will do that because I have experienced a difference firsthand. 

• Like 1

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Aldila RIP Alpha 60 S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Bridgestone J40 CB (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Premier 4 34"
Ball: Snell MTB-X
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

While you certainly do pay a premium for name brands, there is also a quantifiable difference in materials and quality. I too typically look for good deals at Kohl's and have several pairs of Ben Hogan brand shorts from Walmart. They get the job done, there's no doubt about it. I also have a $75 FJ polo that I won in a tournament that is by far the most comfortable and breathable shirt I own as well as an Under Armour shirt and an Oakley shirt that were both given to me by a friend because they no longer fit him. They are both quite comfortable and breathable in comparison to less expensive shirts. The cheaper shirts I own are certainly comfortable at first glance, but as soon as you introduce heat and sweat the differences are quite noticeable. The materials used tend to be a bit thicker (or at least feel that way) and they just can't compete with how they manage moisture.
I will always purchase based based on my budget (which is typically quite small), but when presented the opportunity to get something nicer I most certainly will do that because I have experienced a difference firsthand. 

Kohl’s shorts on sale are the best I have. The Ben Hogan shirts for me aren’t very good. SWMBO bought me a few and they ended up at Goodwill. Pro Shops here have decent clothing sales every year and can get up to 60% off.

• Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

My local BJ's Wholesale often has Callaway shorts & shirts that I'll pick up for around $15-$20. Shirts for the most part I just stock up every December at the Ahead factory clearance. I'll wait until the last day when everything is marked down to $5 and I'll snag 4-5 shirts at that point. They'll all be overruns from courses & outings so they'll have logos on the chest or the sleeve, but that's fine by me. Those'll last me 2 years easy and whatever I cycle out I'll donate and the shirts will still be in very good to great condition.

• Like 1

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

I don't think you can say quantifiable difference without being able to measure it.

The only difference I have found between a $60 Nike polo and a $15 BCG Polo from the local sporting goods store is the fit. Both are hot in 95* heat with 50%+ humidity. Both dry quickly on the way home, but the Nike is fit for an athletic body, while the BCG is fit for the Dad bods.

• Like 1

Tiger is the GOAT, change my mind.