TESTERS WANTED! ×

data re. Tony Covey's matte balls claim?

11iron

Tony Covey stated very emphatically on this week's No Putts Given that matte balls lose more spin / launch higher than non-matte balls when wet.  

see 37:54 of   https://mygolfspy.com/warning-are-you-playing-this-golf-ball-noputtsgiven-38/          

Is there any data anywhere to support this?  

I have seen data that all balls lose spin and launch higher when wet.  But specifically matte more so than non-matte?  Opinions and personal observation are great, but actual data would be beneficial to prove or disprove this.  

I have no reason to believe or disbelieve this, but have not seen anything anywhere on this, and would obviously inform future purchases.  

Thanks, 03.  That's probably one of the places I saw data on wet shots, good info for sure.  Also the T X G guys did some testing.  But no data on the difference of matte vs gloss, just wet vs dry.  

I am interested because I've always liked the Maxfli urethane balls, and they now have a matte white version.  If there is any actual quantifiable difference, it may be minimized or eliminated with a urethane cover, and with white (there is data to suggest colored dye also changes performance characteristics). 

So, if someone has a launch monitor, a repeatable swing, some Maxfli Tour (or Tour X) in both gloss and matte white (or any other brand that make both a gloss white and matte white version of the same urethane ball), a spray bottle, and the time to do some statistically significant testing with say a 9-iron, that would be super dope! 

Edited by 11iron

39 minutes ago, 11iron said:

Thanks, 03.  That's probably one of the places I saw data on wet shots, good info for sure.  Also the T X G guys did some testing.  But no data on the difference of matte vs gloss, just wet vs dry.  

I am interested because I've always liked the Maxfli urethane balls, and they now have a matte white version.  If there is any actual quantifiable difference, it may be minimized or eliminated with a urethane cover, and with white (there is data to suggest colored dye also changes performance characteristics). 

So, if someone has a launch monitor, a repeatable swing, some Maxfli Tour (or Tour X) in both gloss and matte white (or any other brand that make both a gloss white and matte white version of the same urethane ball), a spray bottle, and the time to do some statistically significant testing with say a 9-iron, that would be super dope! 

I believe the testing MGS did in 2019, and based on the NPG episode they're seeing it again in 2020. They used a robot, why would someone with a launch monitor and a repeatable swing be better?

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

Looking for data, Middler.  MGS didn't provide any wet matte vs. dry matte data in comparison to wet gloss vs dry gloss.  Agreed data via a robot swing would be super.  

Edited by 11iron

55 minutes ago, 11iron said:

Looking for data, Middler.  MGS didn't provide any wet matte vs. dry matte data in comparison to wet gloss vs dry gloss.  Agreed data via a robot swing would be super.  

No,  they did not provide specific numbers but they provided wet vs dry numbers and then said that matte finish balls were more significantly impacted. 

From this article (https://mygolfspy.com/most-wanted-golf-ball/) :

DID YOU KNOW: A golf ball will perform differently if it is wet vs. when it’s dry. Golfers need to know how much difference there is and why it matters.

WET WEDGE SHOTS:

• Carry increased by approximately 2.5 yards
  • Spin decreased by approximately 2500 RPM
  • Launch angle increased by over 5°
  • Peak height increased by 5 yards

Also, cheaper (2-piece) balls and matte finish balls are affected more significantly by moisture.

Also,  the clubs used would have an impact on specific numbers

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 minutes ago, 11iron said:

Yep, that's the article, csnosil.  No data provided.  Has anyone seen/generated data anywhere to support the matte assertion?  

That is all that has been published.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

6 hours ago, 11iron said:

Yep, that seems to be all that MGS has published.  Hoping if this is really a thing, someone has seen data somewhere...or maybe even has done some measuring on their own.  

I'm guessing when the ball lab testing wraps up, there will be some kind of data published.  From the sound of the podcast any data that exists outside of MGS testing isn't available to the public.  

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

Good question 11iron, I also play the Maxfli Tour balls. Some of them are Matte finish so I bought several dozen and included the matte finish. To my game, I cannot discern any difference, just that you cannot clean the mattes once they have been played.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
Cobra King F8(10.5*) w/ Mitdubishi Tense ck Blue Regular; 3W & 5W Cobra King F8 w/ Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue Regular shafts; Tour Edge CBX119 22* Hybrid w/Project X Evenflo Regular shaft; Wilson Staff D-7 5-PW w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts; Cobra King F8 Gw(50*)SW(54*)LW(58*)all w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts.Putter: Tommy Armour Impact No. 3; Bag: Cobra Ultralight Cart bag, Peaccoat Blue.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I will test the wet matte ball theory tonight on SkyTrak.  I have Wilson Professions in both glossy and matte in stock at home.  Not Maxfli but at least will give everyone an idea of any differences between glossy and matte.  Any suggestions for testing?  I plan to just hit them dry then soak them in water and repeat.  I'm not going thru the entire bag but will hit full wedges.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

55 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

I will test the wet matte ball theory tonight on SkyTrak.  I have Wilson Professions in both glossy and matte in stock at home.  Not Maxfli but at least will give everyone an idea of any differences between glossy and matte.  Any suggestions for testing?  I plan to just hit them dry then soak them in water and repeat.  I'm not going thru the entire bag but will hit full wedges.

Keep us updated, interested in what you find out.

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

Here is what I will do:

1. Dry ball glossy

2. Wet ball glossy

3. Wet ball and wet wedge glossy

4. Dry matte ball 

5. Wet matte ball

6. Wet ball and wet wedge matte

Let me know if more needs to be done?

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

1 hour ago, Wedgie said:

>> Here is what I will do:

Awesome, Wedgie!  

>> Let me know if more needs to be done?

You mentioned soaking in water - the testing I've seen (MSG photo and T X G videos) uses a spray bottle. 

The only other input I would make is to make enough swings to make it statistically significant - it's been a while since my Statistics classes, so won't even try to bust out any formulae - as a wag at least a dozen of each?   If that's too many swings for you, could maybe combine 2 with 3, and 5 with 6, and make your best guess re. moisture amount on a dewy morning - maybe a single spray on both ball and club?  

Definitely don't have to go through full bag - probably one club is enough, even preferable to get more similar swings (sample size) - full swing 9-iron as midway between long irons and short wedges? 

Cool, will be informative as to matte ball performance. 

Edited by 11iron

21 minutes ago, 11iron said:

Awesome, Wedgie!  

>> Let me know if more needs to be done?

You mentioned soaking in water - the testing I've seen (MSG photo and T X G videos) uses a spray bottle. 

The only other input I would make is to make enough swings to make it statistically significant - it's been a while since my Statistics classes, so won't even try to bust out any formulae - as a wag at least a dozen of each?   If that's too many swings for you, could maybe combine 2 with 3, and 5 with 6, and make your best guess re. moisture amount on a dewy morning - maybe a single spray on both ball and club?  

Definitely don't have to go through full bag - probably one club is enough, even preferable to get more similar swings (sample size) - full swing 9-iron as midway between long irons and short wedges? 

Cool, will be informative as to matte ball performance. 

Okay, I will dig up a spray bottle and spray the balls and do a dozen good shots with each and see what I get.  

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Tested the Wilson Duo Professional glossy vs. Wilson Duo Professional matte finish in dry and wet comparison. I hit 12 shots with each scenario using my 9 iron. In the wet conditions I sprayed the ball before each shot with the sprayer then dried after each shot. For wet with club I sprayed the ball and club face then dried both after each shot. I was pretty dialed in and only had to kick out 2 shots and they were 2 of my last 4. Garage golf is more fun when it’s 40 degrees outside than when it is upper 70s so I was pooping out.

Comparing balls on SkyTrak can be difficult so you need to understand the key to each club but remember I only hit the 9 iron:

4 iron = matte ball wet ball and wet club face

5 iron = matte ball wet ball only

6 iron = matte ball dry

7 iron = glossy ball wet ball wet club face

8 iron = glossy ball wet ball only

9 iron = glossy ball dry

It is also important to note that SkyTrak only measures ball speed, launch, back spin and left/right spin. Everything else is a calculation.

IMG_0166.thumb.JPG.60376c65cd157a6891f0c6d27700939a.JPG

Without diving into the data too much at first brush over the matte ball seems more consistent in wet and dry conditions. If it is completely dry then I’d say the glossy finish is the way to go. I’m sure MGS will provide much more in depth info but here is a preview.

Any questions let me know?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Wow Wedgie you are the man, great test, thanks!  

My three takeaways:

- In dry conditions, the matte ball spins >800rpm less and launches ~2 degrees higher than the gloss ball.  This makes the two balls, even though they're both Wilson Duo Professionals, designed and manufactured the same except for the paint coat, in effect two different balls.  One isn't better than the other, depends on what your game needs.  So lets me know the Maxfli Tour (and Tour X, and other balls with both a glossy and matte version) probably differs between its matte and glossy versions as well.  Doesn't affect the validity of wet vs. dry comparison at all, since %s can be used.  

- Your data confirms what MGS and T X G data has previously shown -- in wet conditions, launch increases, spin decreases, distance increases, and apex increases.  

- In wet conditions, the matte cover does exactly the opposite of what Tony Covey stated - the matte cover is less affected by moisture, much less in fact.  Launch (direct SkyTrak measurement) increases 6% (wet ball) and 7% (wet club and ball) for matte, but 14% (both conditions) for glossy (again, %s used since the baselines are different; this is the only way to measure relative effect).  Backspin (the other direct SkyTrak measurement) is even more disparate - matte -22%/-23% vs. glossy -28%/-39%.  So, according to the data, matte urethane balls are much more consistent in wet conditions, and affected by moisture less significantly than glossy. 

Is this the be-all end-all test - no.  But very valuable, thank you Wedgie - and (re)confirms that data is king, and unsupported claims should be questioned and tested.  Of course, now I have to buy some glossy Maxfli Tours and Tour Xs to compare on course with my mattes...