Our Sponsors

I’ve recently began to tee off on par 5’s with a 4iron... allows me to go 4 iron, 4 iron, 7-pw into the green. 

Essentially eliminates any eagle 🦅 opportunity but it’s not like I really was having many opportunities at them anyways. It has however kept me in play and my scoring average down. 

Anyone else in this boat?

• Like 7

It’s a good strategy for keeping it in play as if that’s what has been costing you. It will also put a lot of pressure on the third shot that would be about 30-40 yards longer. It should in theory make it so bogey is the worst case scenario. As everything golf, hit the best shot you’re the most comfortable and confident with!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, toshea said:

I think it's a good strategy. My home course is par 70 with 2 par 5's. One on each side. I've learned the best way for me to play every hole on the course. On our front par 5 I always hit driver then either a 4w, 5i, or 4 hb. Just depends on conditions and lie. I'm usually left with a 7-8i approach.

On the back it's almost always my 4w or a 5i off the tee - hard dogleg left - usually dependant on wind direction. Then it's a 5i, 6, 7i layup followed with a 56* or 60* wedge.

• Like 2

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Why aren’t you hitting driver, and how much yardage are you giving up? Is it a dogleg par 5, or can it hold a 2 way miss? In play is important, but if you’re giving up 70+ yards , I’m not sure it’s worth it. Have you played both ways and tracked your scoring average?

I’ve had days where I’ve stopped hitting driver and gone 4 iron, but only when I’m completely out of sorts...

24CC2B3B-0E46-4165-97D1-F1CA4C5041C8.png

I’ve recently began to tee off on par 5’s with a 4iron... allows me to go 4 iron, 4 iron, 7-pw into the green. 

Essentially eliminates any eagle 🦅 opportunity but it’s not like I really was having many opportunities at them anyways. It has however kept me in play and my scoring average down. 

I’ve done this a few times. The whole strategy should be to have a club in-hand on the third shot that you have a ton of confidence in for getting it close.
  • Like 1

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 4/5 iron, Z785 6-PW, :Nippon:Modus 120X

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

20 minutes ago, Micah T said:

Why aren’t you hitting driver, and how much yardage are you giving up? Is it a dogleg par 5, or can it hold a 2 way miss? In play is important, but if you’re giving up 70+ yards , I’m not sure it’s worth it. Have you played both ways and tracked your scoring average?

I’ve had days where I’ve stopped hitting driver and gone 4 iron, but only when I’m completely out of sorts...

My miss on driver can be a two way miss much too often. I’m giving up a good 65 yards from driver to 4 iron... but it also forces my hand on the second shot. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, toshea said:

My miss on driver can be a two way miss much too often. I’m giving up a good 65 yards from driver to 4 iron... but it also forces my hand on the second shot. 

I've been there my friend: putting away the driver got me down to a 7 handicap, and I too suffered from a 2 way miss. It was as simple as eliminating penalties for hitting OB. I've got a new driver, and I'm committed to playing it this year: thankfully its adjustable and I can play a cut/fade with it, but I'm playing to a 10-11 right now...

1 hour ago, Micah T said:

I've been there my friend: putting away the driver got me down to a 7 handicap, and I too suffered from a 2 way miss. It was as simple as eliminating penalties for hitting OB. I've got a new driver, and I'm committed to playing it this year: thankfully its adjustable and I can play a cut/fade with it, but I'm playing to a 10-11 right now...

I’m a victim of the over draw / block miss on my driver. Don’t have those issues when I pull the 4-iron out. Haven’t completely abandoned it, especially on longer par 4’s but it’s costing me probably a good 3-4 shots a round. And I feel that is being optimistic. 

• Like 2

Just curious if you're having trouble controlling your 3 wood as well.  Not sure if you just skipped it or it didnt work out.  Itll definitely help on those par 4s

• Like 1

18 hours ago, toshea said:

Strategizing the way you play the hole to suit your strengths is the smartest way to play golf.

Unfortunately many of us, myself included, want to go for the long drives and try to reach the green in two.

I will be creating game plans this year, so I can try to play for my best score in each round.

• Like 3

2020 Bag Boy Chiller Cart Bag Official tester

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

Driver :titelist-small:  - TS2 10.5*, Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 716 3 Iron, Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 718 4 Iron, Irons:   :titelist-small:  - AP1 714 5 to PW, Wedges  

:vokey-small: SM4 48*, Oil Can 52*, SM5 56* and SM6 58*, Putter   :titelist-small: Deadcenter SP-209, Ball   :titelist-small:  ProV1, :Arccos: Smart Sensors

Shoes:a couple :footjoy-small: A couple of:nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.

Right Handed, Southeast Michigan

Honk If you see these plates around. 

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

I'm always driving around Michigan. 

The Ohio and Pennsylvania turnpike and Maryland. 

Grip it and rip it my friends. 

I think it depends on the layout/design of the hole. I have a par 5 at my club where you can only hit 4 iron or hybrid max off the tee to a landing area. you have a narrow landing area for your second shot due to a large lake down the left side of the fairway. You have to option of hitting 4 iron to 3 wood for your second, leaving anything from 150 yds to 40 yds for 3rd shot. If you want to very very aggressive, you can hit driver off the tee, but you must carry it 250+ and you are still left with 225 to the green with water all along the left. Just paly to your strengths!

• Like 2

Guest Delete
19 hours ago, toshea said:

Yup, been doing it to keep the ball in play in narrow par 5s. My normal is 4 hybrid, 4 hybrid, wedge. Or 4 hybrid, 6 iron, 8 iron. 

There are times when I look at the hole two ways: try to be a hero or play it as it was designed. Usually, the second results in lower scores.

I will say my only eagle on a par 5 wasn't doing this but it was much more open. Cut the corner with a driver, 5w to 4 feet, eagle putt. 

13 hours ago, Chizzle said:

Just curious if you're having trouble controlling your 3 wood as well.  Not sure if you just skipped it or it didnt work out.  Itll definitely help on those par 4s

My 3 wood has yet to leave the garage this year: I don’t see any improvement in accuracy with it, just lost distance

5 minutes ago, Micah T said:

My 3 wood has yet to leave the garage this year: I don’t see any improvement in accuracy with it, just lost distance

It is a pretty tough club to hit off the ground but on a tee could be a different story too.  Not sure what types of results you are getting either but something that helped me with my three wood is hit it like an iron and make sure I'm not pulling my chest away through the downswing, impact, and follow through.  I think our bodies unconsciously pull the chest away from the ball to generate power when that typically leads to topping the ball because I am moving away from the ball instead of through it.  Not trying to convince anyone to use a 3 wood, just wanted to throw my 2 cents in.  Sorry if this isn't the thread for this kind of stuff

• Like 1

What works for you, works for you. Me personally, I am very comfortable with the driver once I got fitted properly. I suggest first get a swing analysis to figure out what your doing wrong. You can have someone video it and get it reviewed or go get a lesson from a local pro then get fitted for the correct driver for you. I wouldn't want to give up all those yards on a regular basis. If you get to travel to play different courses sometime you wind up with forced carries that a 4 iron wont make it across.

• Like 1

Driver, Ping G400 11* SR Flex

3 Wood, TaylorMade SLDR 17*  R Flex

5 Wood, TaylorMade SLDR 19* R Flex

Hybrid, Cobra Amp 24* R Flex

Irons, Sub 70 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

Wedges, Cleveland CBX 56* & 60*

Putter, Odyssey Marksman Fang 35"

On 5/24/2020 at 9:51 PM, Chizzle said:

It’s hit or miss as well. I do have a different grip on my 3 wood than the rest of my clubs. Have a mcc plus 4 on the three wood and regular mcc on everything else. Wanting to change it but have to wait until IL opens up a bit more. 

On 5/24/2020 at 3:19 PM, toshea said:

It is an interesting strategy maybe to use in tournaments, but in my normal rounds (that I always consider practice) I try to always go for the most effective shot ‘if executed’. I think that is the best way to improve and get confidence.

also because sometimes yo7 will be obliged to use a driver maybe because of wind, winter and wet conditions..

:ping-small: G400 9.0 Alta CB 55g stiff

:ping-small: G400 3W Alta CB 65g stiff

:Sub70: Fairway Pro 5W Ust Mamiya V2 black stiff

:Sub70: 839X 4h Kbs TGI80

:Sub70: 639cb 5-PW Kbs TGI80

:Sub70: Forged Wedge  50.7 Kbs TGI80

:callaway-small: MD4 56.8, 60.12

PXG Bat Attack

:Snell: MTB-X

What works for you, works for you. Me personally, I am very comfortable with the driver once I got fitted properly. I suggest first get a swing analysis to figure out what your doing wrong. You can have someone video it and get it reviewed or go get a lesson from a local pro then get fitted for the correct driver for you. I wouldn't want to give up all those yards on a regular basis. If you get to travel to play different courses sometime you wind up with forced carries that a 4 iron wont make it across.

I’ve been hitting my 3 wood while I wait for my custom shaft to arrive( it’s been 5 weeks) and I have improved with it! Using it off the tee has helped me have more confidence with it off the turf; which still only happens 1 -2 times a round. I’ve learned that I tend to cut/fade it, and I can’t use as strong of a grip with it. Bad shots aren’t blocks dead right anymore, instead it’s a 215 yard sky ball, which is what you get when your AOA is negative.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

I've been playing with older players lately who hit their drivers 220 if they hit it on the screws...and they have kicked my butt.  I am learning something from them, don't have to be long to score well.  You have to be long eventually if you want to get a lot of birdies but if you're trying to break 90 or 80....length is only good if it's going where you want it.  You can still get par with a short(er) tee shot, a longer iron to get somewhere around the green and then a decent chip.  Just shows the importance of the short game.  Also why I can't get my score down cause I'll crush the driving range for hours a week but spend 30 min total on chipping. 

You won't make the tour but you'll certainly look good on your home course score wise.

• Like 2

Driver: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M3 Tensei Blue Stiff

3 Wood: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

3 Hybrid: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

4 Hybrid : image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M4 Stock Stiff Shaft

Irons: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg P790 (5I-AW) - 2 deg strong - Nippon Modus3 105 Gram/Stiff 

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 (54,59) - AMT Black/Stiff

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne Putter

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1

Tracked by: :Arccos:

8 minutes ago, den748 said:

I've been playing with older players lately who hit their drivers 220 if they hit it on the screws...and they have kicked my butt.  I am learning something from them, don't have to be long to score well.  You have to be long eventually if you want to get a lot of birdies but if you're trying to break 90 or 80....length is only good if it's going where you want it.  You can still get par with a short(er) tee shot, a longer iron to get somewhere around the green and then a decent chip.  Just shows the importance of the short game.  Also why I can't get my score down cause I'll crush the driving range for hours a week but spend 30 min total on chipping. 

You won't make the tour but you'll certainly look good on your home course score wise.

Length with a little control will always be an asset.  I bet those "older players" would love to get out to 250, and I'm sure they'd score better if they could.  I know because I'm an older player (64), carry my driver something like 230-240, and I'd love to get 20 more yards too, as long as I could retain most of my accuracy.  Good short-game guys might get up and down 30 or maybe 40% of the time.  For every green you miss, you'll score something like 0.6 or 0.7 strokes higher.  Hitting longer tee shots in play means hitting more greens which means fewer bogeys.  And the important thing to remember, for most of us greater length will come from improved mechanics.  Improved mechanics will generally ALSO mean improved accuracy.  Most golfers who improve their swing will get longer AND straighter.  

And specifically for @den748, spending your time working on your strengths isn't going to be a very productive allocation of your practice time.  Work on your weaknesses, you'll see the biggest gains.

• Like 3

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia