TESTERS WANTED! ×

Sound dampening a putter

So far this season, the putter in my bag has been an Odyssey Stroke Lab R-Ball. I love the alignment on it. Even the grip is nice: I can't remember the last time I bought a putter and actually kept the stock grip.

My only complaint: if I wanted a putter that went "ping," I would have bought a PING.

As an experiment, today I tried stuffing the cavities with pool noodles.

pixlr_20200524174523995.jpg

That works, but it's obviously a pretty janky solution. What recommendations do you all have for a material for stuffing the cavities to dampen the sound, without massively altering the head weight and with a high likelihood of being a decent looking finished product?

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

A can of expansion foam might be a good fit? Should fill the negative space entirely and you can sand/trim off the excess once it is set.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

20 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

So far this season, the putter in my bag has been an Odyssey Stroke Lab R-Ball. I love the alignment on it. Even the grip is nice: I can't remember the last time I bought a putter and actually kept the stock grip.

My only complaint: if I wanted a putter that went "ping," I would have bought a PING.

That works, but it's obviously a pretty janky solution. What recommendations do you all have for a material for stuffing the cavities to dampen the sound, without massively altering the head weight and with a high likelihood of being a decent looking finished product?

Expansion foam might work really well. Might be on the right track with the regular foam though if you get a block and cut the generic shape and paint black or if you felt like an accent color?

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Grab a bit of Dynamat. It's used as sound deadening in sound systems of cars and you can stick it to the underside area out of site inside of the putter. It'll remove the sound and you can cut it to fit whatever surface you need to stick it to. 

My bag is a revolving door!

Be careful when painting regular foam products with a test first. I once tried to spray paint foam and it became a misshapen, melted mess!

PXG 0811 XF driver

:ping-small: Serene: 3 wood, 4 & 5 hybrid iron

:taylormade-small: r7 Draw, Flex L: 4, 6 - 9 irons

:cleveland-small: Wedges: RTX Zipcore 46 mid bounce; RTX-3: 52/10 wedge; and Tour Action 900 60* low bounce

:bettinardi-1: Armlock putter or  :edel-golf-1: E-2 Torque custom fit putter

:bridgestone-small: Tour B XS golf ball

:ShotScope:  V3

pull the shaft and stuff some yarn down into the putter. it will muffle the noise. i have done this on drivers before, to add weight and/or change sound. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

So I must admit this thread has my interested. My thoughts may not have any correlation to what the OP is going through but just wanted to share.

Now I have  Ping 1A and Ping n Ping style putters (the one that sounds like a tuning fork/ "Pingggg sound). This Odyssey model (posted in original post) has hollowed out parts (you can see through it) just like the Ping n Ping putter model. Over the years I noticed when certain style putter designs come out they yield either a "very pronounced click and/or PINGGG sound. I think its the design that contributes to the acoustics.... I would think insert putters can mute or dampen the sound/vibrations but some inserts are infused with metallics and/or very thin and not thick enough to alter certain sounds they yield.

I think that is why some people still prefer solid metal putter faces from solid body putter designs. I get the fancy geometry of modern putter head design which are spreading weight and creating the high MOI. Sometimes the acoustics / sound is enough to cause people not to like the design even if the design is creating a good roll. I still go by pure sound/feel with a putter. Probably just because of the era I learned to play in (no inserts). Took me a while to find insert putter that felt right and sounded right. I do have an Odyssey and absolutely love certain Bobby Grace models. So many putter options to try and I am guilty of trying and buying too many. 🙂

• 2 years later...
On 5/24/2020 at 6:56 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

@GolfSpy MPR did you ever find a solution on this? I’m having the exact issue with the same putter. All the solution provided seem like will work, but wanted to know if you solved it before I start trying all of these.