Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

MD3 Groove Life

I got a couple of Callaway MD3's secondhand from Edwin Watt's the other day that looked to have pretty clean/sharp grooves still. However I'm finding they don't have a ton of zip that I would expect. I'm struggling to get above 8500 RPM with the 52 and 56. Any one else have experience with the lifespan on these?

Driver: :adams-small: Super Speedline S - 9.5 Diamana XS 60

3W & 3Hy: :adams-small: Super Speedline S - Stiff

Irons: :taylormade-small: RAC OS II - Stiff -  Standard loft/lie

Wedges::callaway-small: MD3 S-Grind 52, 56

Putter: :taylormade-small: TP Ardmore 3 - L Neck

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1X

Bag: :titelist-small: Players 4 Stand Bag

Fort Worth, TX- RH - 10 Handicap

Lots of information on the web with varying opinions/research. I have read what Vokey recommends(~60 rounds), Callaway has information on their site and also Tube videos. Different companies/experts kinda have similar views but not exact. I think besides the amount of strikes, it may have to do with grove cutting technologies, face roughness, and which metal the wedge is made from.... One common theme I see is that its the "wear" >> from number of times you hit from the sand, bad soil, rock hard range balls, etc that contribute to loss of spin affect the lifespan of the original groove cut. Hopefully your MD3's were not used much. 

Below is Callaway link: 

https://community.callawaygolf.com/t5/Clubs/When-to-replace-your-wedges/m-p/12985#M2530

and another link (PluggedIN): 

https://pluggedingolf.com/long-wedges-last-golf-myths-unplugged/