Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Outdoor Putting Green

It’s happening! I exchange for making my fiancé a ridiculous fire pit (below is what the end product will look like...hopefully), she’s letting me get a putting green out in the backyard. Anyone have any experience with this? Recommendations?! I want to make sure I get something fun that holds up to the test of time. 

Short game improvements eminent!

93EF4718-D692-4385-98EB-5EB447E92736.jpeg.fe8940b4e4725a5eea26fc2a269e036b.jpeg

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

Are you going to do the green yourself? Putting only? If you are doing a putting only green do your research on green material. Do you want fringe? Then it gets harder to install. You can ask the different manufacturers and they will usually send you a sample. I have installed two over the years. "I Moved" The green material either comes in 12 ' or 15' widths with 12 being the most common. I would stick with a size that you dont have to seam together. Mine is 24 × 32 the seam glue and tape was a pain when doing something that size.

Stay away from the infill types for putting. I put one in to handle 150 yard shots and it is high maintainence. Right now it is trashed and will take me weeks to fix it or I'll trash it. Would not go that route again. I'll stick with putting only.

Make sure you have a good base and good drainage.  Go to your local golf courses and they will probably give you the cups. Golf courses replace them every couple of years and usually hold on to some old ones. I got four from the first place I asked.

Good luck

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Someone posted pictures of his outdoor putting green a year or so ago.  It looked beautiful, but don't remember who it was.  I'm not searching, but you might want to do a search and contact him about what he thinks now.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

3 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Are you going to do the green yourself? Putting only? If you are doing a putting only green do your research on green material. Do you want fringe? Then it gets harder to install. You can ask the different manufacturers and they will usually send you a sample. I have installed two over the years. "I Moved" The green material either comes in 12 ' or 15' widths with 12 being the most common. I would stick with a size that you dont have to seam together. Mine is 24 × 32 the seam glue and tape was a pain when doing something that size.

Stay away from the infill types for putting. I put one in to handle 150 yard shots and it is high maintainence. Right now it is trashed and will take me weeks to fix it or I'll trash it. Would not go that route again. I'll stick with putting only.

Make sure you have a good base and good drainage.  Go to your local golf courses and they will probably give you the cups. Golf courses replace them every couple of years and usually hold on to some old ones. I got four from the first place I asked.

Good luck

We are going to get turf throughout the backyard so I’m getting it done professionally. I’m just trying to see if anyone has found using a company that specializes in greens vs a turf company that also does greens because of demand. There is a little bit of a cost difference, but I don’t want my green to suck! Need to improve that short game!

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

Looking to do the same. Sans bribing my significant other w a fire pit - but will if I need too.

about twenty years ago I did one myself with a kit that required sand on top of the turf. Won’t do that again.  Winters in iowa tend to move the sand, and some frost heave has made for hi and low spots. 

currently debating between a birdie-ball turf that I roll up when done, and a pro putt standard system. Those look like they can be left outside 24-7.   While I’d like it to be permanent w fringe, the winters are just hard on it. 
All I really want it a place to practice short pitched and chips.  Landing a ball in a chipping nets is not quite the same. So I’d love to hear how people have done fringe. 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

Look for a company that uses Mirage Turf for they're putting greens. As some above have mentioned, managing & maintaining in-fill sucks. Mirage is one of the few outdoor turf's that does not require in-fill and it has a 10-year warranty.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

I am also looking to add a little one in my back yard and was going to install myself, I found this on amazon which some asks if it needs infill and they say no infill needed, just not sure if its the best one since I have no experience with outdoor putting greens

https://www.amazon.com/Petgrow-Artificial-5FTX8FT,-Training-Synthetic/dp/B07QK8WL6S/ref=sr_1_16?crid=2MG66I8BUN5CI&dchild=1&keywords=putting%2Bgreen&qid=1590582372&sprefix=putt%2Caps%2C181&sr=8-16&th=1&psc=1

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks awesome, I'm jealous!

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
7 Wood - :PXG: 0341x Gen 4, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 75-S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"