Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Would you use a NON-Conforming Golf Equipment if it gave you a competitive advantage?

Guest Delete

Would you use NON-Conforming equipment if it gave you a competitive advantage?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Would you use a NON-Conforming Golf Ball if it out preformed a tour ball?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would you use a NON-Conforming Golf Club if it gave you more distance and better accuracy?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Would you use a NON-Conforming Golf club that has grooves on it that have you more spin out of the rough?

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. Would you use a NON-Conforming putter that helps you make more putts?

• Yes
    • No

• Guests
Guest Delete

I don't play in tournaments and find that golf is a tough enough game as it is without having restraints on gear. 

This poll is to start the conversation for pushing the envelope and looking for something that is truly innovative. 

I believe that helping people enjoy the game more will be good for the sport. If something NON-Conforming was to be a hit with amateurs then would it eventually make it to the pro level as allowed? You never know. 

I am all for Hot drivers, hot balls, square grooves, and straight up putters so amateurs can have more fun. Elite players don't need the help so let them keep their restrictions. 

What is more interesting is if a non-conforming equipment player was playing in a skins game; would they force that person to use conforming equipment? 

How many strokes would non-conforming equipment really shave off in a round? My guess is maybe 2 solely based on equipment. The player still has to execute the shot. 

I totally agree about the game being about honor and calling strokes on yourself and it being about personal integrity!

But I would disagree that the rules were there from the beginning because the beginning of the game 400 years ago didn't have near as many rules as they do now about the equipment. Modern day advances in technology have changed the game as we know it from wooden sticks with metal heads and leather wrapped balls with feathers inside to a totally different experience.

The USGA rules were put in the fact because they compete and not for the furthering of the game as it was originally designed and implemented hundreds of years ago. The rules today are more about the game today as a competition and not as the romance story that we see in movies.

I would go even further to say that some of the clubs used 150 200 or even 400 years ago would not be conforming to today's standards due to groove rules and the way that they're measured, the size of the ball, and the weight of the ball. We have standards now that were implemented mostly within the last 50 to 80 years and some even more recent than that. I believe this is a place to start a conversation as what could it be instead of no way to change.

My point to bringing it up is to push the envelope on equipment design. Many have spoken that they wish to remain in the box decided on and created by others. This leaves little room for people who want to innovate outside of the box. I find it all fascinating. If there is no market for innovater driven equipment then we will all be stuck where we are. 

I stand by my take that the USGA and RA are cheating all golfers by putting limitations on golf equipment that are making all golf equipment homogenized. 

The origin spirit of golf was equipment made by the golfers themselves, a local craftsman, or on a very small scale. The goal of golf was, and is, to strike a ball with a club in order to get it in a hole in as few strokes as possible. 

I am all for ignoring the USGA and maintaining my integrity because it is me against the course.

If I was ever to compete, in skins or events, then I would submit to the rules of competition (not in my foreseeable future though).

Another non-conforming item I see available is the Polara self correcting golf ball that does not meet the symmetry rule of the USGA. 

https://www.polaragolf.com/collections/all

It boasts being able to reduce slices by up to 75% but you have to line up the arrow at your target on each shot.

Sounds like a fun enhancer for the rec golfer to me. 

After reading the rules of golf in 1900, I found no reference to equipment at all. The entirety of the rules focused on playing and scoring. 

There was no club limit, no groove limitation, no ball regulation, no club Cor limitation or any reference to lie angles or club shape/design.

http://www.ruleshistory.com/usga1900.html

I remain convinced the USGA is limiting equipment for no reason that ought to be recognized by anyone other than the elite PGA players, if that. 

Note: by "competitive advantage" I am using the term as being equal to "statistical improvement" to current equipment that might result in lower strokes. 

Edited by Delete
Added info
  • Guests
Guest Delete

This is an example. It is the Dr. Sandtrap by XFactor aka Jack Hamm. It is a sand/lob wedge that has holes in the face to let the sand through. Holes in the face are non-conforming. (Also known as the S.O.S. Airwedge)

Would you care if your playing partner was beating you because he used this club and got it out of bunkers with ease? 

Or

Would you be happy that person found a way to beat the course?

Screenshot_20200525-090606.png

I personally would never use it.  Likewise, I wouldn't want to use a corked baseball bat, tighter wound baseballs, deflated football (cough), incorrect weight/size boxing gloves or mma gloves, ect.  To me, it's about the integrity of the game.  I honestly feel like the players distance irons are borderline, for lack of a better word, cheater clubs.  I played a round with some when my clubs were being regripped.  I typically hit my irons average to above average distance (7 iron 165-170) but I used a 7 iron for a 192-195 yrd par 3 and reached!  As far as other people using it, that's their business. 

I dont think they will allow pros to use it.  I see that as them using a performance enhancing drug. I wouldn't be surprised if guys not finishing in the money would use those equipment to gain an edge especially if they feel their career is in jeopardy. 

If people are in a competition, I think they should have to use conforming equipment.

Could be a lot of strokes shaved or a little.  I think it depends on if they shoot in the 100's, 90's, 80's.

I wouldn’t, but it depends on what a particular person wants out of the game. If it helps my buddies that can’t break 100, than I’m all for it: but I won’t be betting while we play. As far as players distance irons, aren’t they just de-lofted? I realize that a 7 iron now was a 5 iron 30 years ago, but isn’t it just as hard to hit?

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

14 minutes ago, Micah T said:

I wouldn’t, but it depends on what a particular person wants out of the game. If it helps my buddies that can’t break 100, than I’m all for it: but I won’t be betting while we play. As far as players distance irons, aren’t they just de-lofted? I realize that a 7 iron now was a 5 iron 30 years ago, but isn’t it just as hard to hit?

I'm not sure what you mean by "just as hard to hit".  I could be wrong but I think I used the ping g400 and what I can say from my one experience is that your swing doesn't change but the distance does.  The way I see it is hitting a 7 iron is hitting a 7 iron.  To Timote's point, i dont think players distance clubs and non conforming equipment improve your ability, but it makes it more forgiving.  Still have to put a good swing on it.

• Guests
Guest Delete
21 minutes ago, Micah T said:

I would say there is more tech than just less loft. 

1. Larger face=larger sweet spot
  2. Thinner face=rebounding effect=higher ball speed
  3. Larger sole=change in turf interaction

Basically everything that a 3 wood does has been incorporated into irons now. 

Clubs of old were thick hunks of metal that had thin soles and long shafts to get the club head speed up. 

Nope. Golf was/is supposed to be “a game of honor,” unlike some other sports - that’s part of golfs appeal IMO. You observe all the rules, and even call penalties on yourself that others don’t see. Most of the people I play with, even in league where they’re not regular playing partners, follow all rules including golf etiquette. I’ve seen everything from very minor infractions to outright cheating but I don’t care if others cheat, doesn’t make me want to. If I played for big money I’d probably feel differently, just another reason I don’t care for big wagers on the golf course.

As for non-conforming equipment, I’d be cheating everyone else I play with, so no way.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys
  • Guests
Guest Delete
13 minutes ago, Middler said:

Nope. Golf was/is supposed to be “a game of honor,” unlike some other sports - that’s part of golfs appeal IMO. You observe all the rules, and even call penalties on yourself that others don’t see. Most of the people I play with, even in league where they’re not regular playing partners, follow all rules including golf etiquette. I’ve seen everything from very minor infractions to outright cheating but I don’t care if others cheat, doesn’t make me want to. If I played for big money I’d probably feel differently, just another reason I don’t care for big wagers on the golf course.

As for non-conforming equipment, I’d be cheating everyone else I play with, so no way.

I totally agree about the game being about honor and calling strokes on yourself and it being about personal integrity!

But I would disagree that the rules were there from the beginning because the beginning of the game 400 years ago didn't have near as many rules as they do now about the equipment. Modern day advances in technology have changed the game as we know it from wooden sticks with metal heads and leather wrapped balls with feathers inside to a totally different experience.

The USGA rules were put in the fact because they compete and not for the furthering of the game as it was originally designed and implemented hundreds of years ago. The rules today are more about the game today as a competition and not as the romance story that we see in movies.

I would go even further to say that some of the clubs used 150 200 or even 400 years ago would not be conforming to today's standards due to groove rules and the way that they're measured, the size of the ball, and the weight of the ball. We have standards now that were implemented mostly within the last 50 to 80 years and some even more recent than that. I believe this is a place to start a conversation as what could it be instead of no way to change.

I would not use any nonconforming equipment. 

I see value to nonconforming equipment for people just learning the sport.  When I first learned, my father would have me hit all shots off a tee.  I would tee up my second (and third) shots in the fairway.   It allowed me to enjoy some success while learning the game and developing some skills.  Once I got a bit better, I stopped using the tee, but was told to improve my lie.  After I got a bit better, it was on to playing the ball as it came to rest.  

For players who just want to go out and wack the ball around, I have no problem with them not strictly following the rules.  If that is how they have fun, then go for it.  But I draw the line when a golfer starts keeping a handicap or playing (or betting) with others who do follow the rules.  It should be an even competition at that point.     

I'm a believer we should have 2 sets of rules. Those for pros and those who aren't.
Then I think the rules would be better suited for all.
As for playing non conforming equipment.
Why use it and keep score? If you use it then there is no need to keep an illegal score if you're only playing for fun.
If you do keep a score with this equipment. Then you are cheating yourself and others you may play against.
On another note do you really think non conforming equipment is better than legit equipment? Likely it isn't. Cost really can't be a reason since you can buy quality that's used and still in great shape.
So to me. No I wouldn't use it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

No.  Playing by the same rules as the pros is the only way that we can compare ourselves to them.  IMO, if you arent playing by the rules of golf and are using nonconforming clubs, then you arent really playing golf.

To me, that would be like if I college football they gave them 6 downs instead of the 4 that the pros get.  No thanks.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

2 hours ago, Chizzle said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "just as hard to hit".  I could be wrong but I think I used the ping g400 and what I can say from my one experience is that your swing doesn't change but the distance does.  The way I see it is hitting a 7 iron is hitting a 7 iron.  To Timote's point, i dont think players distance clubs and non conforming equipment improve your ability, but it makes it more forgiving.  Still have to put a good swing on it.

What I mean is,  if a modern 7 iron is really last generations 5 iron, is today’s 7 iron any easier to hit than last generations 5 iron? Good swings are good swings, are you saying besides the loft they’re just easier to hit?

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

2 hours ago, Chizzle said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "just as hard to hit"

Timo te answered my question: I haven’t played that long and I want sure if modern irons were any easier to hit...

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

2 hours ago, TimoTe said:

But I would disagree that the rules were there from the beginning because the beginning of the game 400 years ago didn't have near as many rules as they do now about the equipment. Modern day advances in technology have changed the game as we know it from wooden sticks with metal heads and leather wrapped balls with feathers inside to a totally different experience.

The USGA rules were put in the fact because they compete and not for the furthering of the game as it was originally designed and implemented hundreds of years ago. The rules today are more about the game today as a competition and not as the romance story that we see in movies.

I would go even further to say that some of the clubs used 150 200 or even 400 years ago would not be conforming to today's standards due to groove rules and the way that they're measured, the size of the ball, and the weight of the ball. We have standards now that were implemented mostly within the last 50 to 80 years and some even more recent than that. I believe this is a place to start a conversation as what could it be instead of no way to change.

WTH? YOU specified non-conforming equipment, so 400 years ago or changes over time to USGA rules have nothing to do with it. There is still plenty of golf equipment that is non-conforming, and that would violate USGA rules, honor and personal integrity - simple.

Again I really don't care what anyone else does, some times I find myself playing with guys who cheat - mostly innocent, some not. You follow all the rules applicable for the times you're playing in, or not. It's pretty black & white.

Rule 4 covers the equipment that players may use during a round. Based on the principle that golf is a challenging game in which success should depend on the player’s judgment, skills and abilities, the player:

• Must use conforming clubs and balls,

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
2 hours ago, TimoTe said:

I would go even further to say that some of the clubs used 150 200 or even 400 years ago would not be conforming to today's standards due to groove rules and the way that they're measured, the size of the ball, and the weight of the ball. We have standards now that were implemented mostly within the last 50 to 80 years and some even more recent than that. I believe this is a place to start a conversation as what could it be instead of no way to change

As far as rules from 200 years ago to 50 years or last year, that is the evolution of the game.  That evolution is not only equipment but humans too.  I just recently saw a clip on YouTube about Tiger and how he changed golf.  The part that caught me was more about the physical. Not many tour players before tiger had a fitness regiment.  Case in point-John Daly.  Although he may be a slight outlier,  there werent guys on tour then that look like they do now.  Phil is another point where he is better now but he had to evolve with the game.  This change equaled to more distance and better endurance. The governing bodies of all sports look at this and evaluate equipment and create rules or restrictions.

I also think non conforming equipment for the pros take away the dream.  Say Rory uses a non conforming driber and outdrives everyone, people would just think "well it's because of the equipment" and not his ability.  Because the playing field is level, that is something that stands out from all the great skills he has in this sport. 

But like alfriday101said, I dont care what people use if they're just whacking and hacking at the driving range or wherever but anytime someone takes this sport serious (ie score, lessons, handicap, skins) that just ain't it.

I play with conforming equipment. I've played with conforming equipment which is now non conforming. ( square grooves, Cleveland's zip groves)  They were fine until they were considered non conforming. Then I had to spend money on replacing them. Did it make that much of a difference in my game, no. I actually play better now, but that has nothing to do with illegal grooves or balls. It was hard work, range time and getting more consistency.  

The rules can and always will change. For the average Joe, I dont care what you use. Play in a competition or play for money then you must use conforming equipment. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

5 hours ago, TimoTe said:

This is an example. It is the Dr. Sandtrap by XFactor aka Jack Hamm. It is a sand/lob wedge that has holes in the face to let the sand through. Holes in the face are non-conforming. (Also known as the S.O.S. Airwedge)

Would you care if your playing partner was beating you because he used this club and got it out of bunkers with ease? 

Or

Would you be happy that person found a way to beat the course?

Screenshot_20200525-090606.png

I wouldn't be happy if a member of our league was playing with non-conforming equipment and especially if they're winning money from others that are using conforming equipment - isn't that another form of cheating? . 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

• Guests
Guest Delete
14 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

I wouldn't be happy if a member of our league was playing with non-conforming equipment and especially if they're winning money from others that are using conforming equipment - isn't that another form of cheating? . 

It would be allowed if there was no restriction on equipment for everyone playing. Cheating would only be if it was against the rules and someone used it anyway. It would be possible to setup a league or skins that relaxes USGA limitations on equipment for their game. 

Going the other way, I have heard of leagues that use only wood shafted clubs made before a certain year - like a nostalgia league. 

My point to bringing it up is to push the envelope on equipment design. Many have spoken that they wish to remain in the box decided on and created by others. This leaves little room for people who want to innovate outside of the box. I find it all fascinating. If there is no market for innovater driven equipment then we will all be stuck where we are. 

15 hours ago, TimoTe said:

It would be allowed if there was no restriction on equipment for everyone playing. Cheating would only be if it was against the rules and someone used it anyway. It would be possible to setup a league or skins that relaxes USGA limitations on equipment for their game. 

Going the other way, I have heard of leagues that use only wood shafted clubs made before a certain year - like a nostalgia league. 

My point to bringing it up is to push the envelope on equipment design. Many have spoken that they wish to remain in the box decided on and created by others. This leaves little room for people who want to innovate outside of the box. I find it all fascinating. If there is no market for innovater driven equipment then we will all be stuck where we are. 

I’m done with this thread so FWIW

• Your poll says “WOULD YOU USE NON-CONFORMING EQUIPMENT IF IT GAVE YOU A COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE?  That’s cheating plain and simple.
  • Now you’re saying “It would be allowed if there was no restriction on equipment for everyone playing. Cheating would only be if it was against the rules and someone used it anyway.”

It’s not a “competitive advantage” if “everyone” has non-conforming equipment...

It’s been way more common to hear discussions suggesting the USGA has allowed the industry to “push the envelope” too much in the past few decades (chart below). Few are arguing otherwise, except some who support bifurcation.

There’s no lack of innovation whatsoever. Ball and clubmakers know how to give us way more distance, only the USGA stops them from going crazy with innovation. You can already buy non-conforming balls and clubs, all OEMs know how. And the big name OEMs are in business to make a profit, they would make non-conforming equipment if there was a significant market. There’s not. So far it appears no one except you (15 to 1) would like to see non-conforming equipment allowed.

They may exist, but I’ve never heard of a league that formally allows non-conforming equipment.

879F9E55-A50C-42B8-AA54-543C333FA997.jpeg

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

I personally wouldn't use non-conforming equipment. I play in too many competitions so I wouldn't benefit at all from it. I feel like most of it is gimmicky anyway and doesn't provide much of an advantage. The only one would be the older grooves that could spin like crazy out of rough, that would definitely be an advantage.

In my Vessel-removebg-preview.png.afd31301c874ee24a33a6c5f06f4ab98.png Lux XV Cart Bag:
Driver: image.png.0d0a9c800176ad44335fd0a7facba020.png RADSPEED XB PTC 10.5° Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 VII Stiff
Utility: callaway-golf-vector-logo-removebg-preview.png.1467fda9195e29c96aa5066f048e91b9.png Apex UW 17° and 19° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 70 6.0
4 Hybrid: image.png.0d0a9c800176ad44335fd0a7facba020.png KING LTDx 21° KBS PGI 85 Stiff
Irons: image.png.66179558e8e55b8b35b741c037395846.png ZX5/ZX7 Project X LZ 6.0
Wedges: image.png.620c54f7108fefbf49a94ba169f19081.png 2.0 49°, 53°, 57° Project X LZ 6.0
Putter:  logo-horizontal-black.svg LINK.1 34"
Ball: MaxFli.png.395dd0dca3a12529f636728b3e66a134.png Tour (Thanks MGS for allowing me to test these!)

Check out my Official MGS Reviews Below!
:skycaddie: LX5 Watch - Link Here!

MaxFli.png.395dd0dca3a12529f636728b3e66a134.png Tour and TourX Golf Balls - Link Here!

image.png.28a3be9c497202cfc8176faecf8777ad.png Approach S70 Watch - Link Here!

1 hour ago, Middler said:

• Your poll says “WOULD YOU USE NON-CONFORMING EQUIPMENT IF IT GAVE YOU A COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE?  That’s cheating plain and simple.
  • Now you’re saying “It would be allowed if there was no restriction on equipment for everyone playing. Cheating would only be if it was against the rules and someone used it anyway.”

It’s not a “competitive advantage” if “everyone” has non-conforming equipment...

It’s been way more common to hear discussions suggesting the USGA has allowed the industry to “push the envelope” too much in the past few decades (chart below). Few are arguing otherwise, except some who support bifurcation.

There’s no lack of innovation whatsoever. Ball and clubmakers know how to give us way more distance, only the USGA stops them from going crazy with innovation. You can already buy non-conforming balls and clubs, all OEMs know how. And the big name OEMs are in business to make a profit, they would make non-conforming equipment if there was a significant market. There’s not. So far it appears no one except you (8 to 1) would like to see non-conforming equipment allowed.

They may exist, but I’ve never heard of a league that formally allows non-conforming equipment.

I agree with you! Why start a topic, then talk out of both sides of your mouth?

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

• Guests
Guest Delete

I stand by my take that the USGA and RA are cheating all golfers by putting limitations on golf equipment that are making all golf equipment homogenized. 

The origin spirit of golf was equipment made by the golfers themselves, a local craftsman, or on a very small scale. The goal of golf was, and is, to strike a ball with a club in order to get it in a hole in as few strokes as possible. 

I am all for ignoring the USGA and maintaining my integrity because it is me against the course.

If I was ever to compete, in skins or events, then I would submit to the rules of competition (not in my foreseeable future though).

12 hours ago, TimoTe said:

I am all for ignoring the USGA and maintaining my integrity because it is me against the course.

Now we’re conveniently redefining integrity too. 😁 🤣 😂

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

If the PGA rolls back the ball, I will continue to use current balls that are out. If for some reason they reversed technology and said that graphite shaft, steel shafts, etc. are illegal, I would continue to play them. I’m not a Pro. I would choose to personally bifurcate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

the phrase "competitive advantage" means to me you are competing against players who are using conforming equipment.  the question becomes "Will you cheat"? my answer is no.  do what you want on your own, but if you're competing, play by the rules.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

More and more it sounds like the purpose of this thread is not to "push the envelope" but to validate and push for "the easy way out".  I think we golfers tend to blame everything but ourselves for not being successful in this game whether it be the clubs, wind, balls, etc.  I have a golf buddy that complains about his clubs and he says he needs new clubs.  I often tell him it's not the clubs, especially when the majority of his shots are slices as well as thin and fat shots on his approach and chip shots.

12 hours ago, TimoTe said:

choosing to ignore rules that apply to all honest golfers isn't exactly "integrity", at least in my book.  i read the same excuses from those who choose not to follow the handicap rules, and they dont fly there either.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

the phrase "competitive advantage" means to me you are competing against players who are using conforming equipment.  the question becomes "Will you cheat"? my answer is no.  do what you want on your own, but if you're competing, play by the rules.

100% agree. I was going to say the same thing. If they are just playing for themselves and not in any competition. Or if just playing with friends and they are all doing the same thing then go for it. But once you try to compete with others who are using the correct equipment it becomes cheating and that's just not right. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi4 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White 65gr X shaft set to D-1 Hosel
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: Testing: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: BX, :taylormade-small: TP5x 

Answered no to all.  Golf made easy... really, what's the point? 😉

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

15 hours ago, Middler said:

There’s no lack of innovation whatsoever. Ball and clubmakers know how to give us way more distance, only the USGA stops them from going crazy with innovation. You can already buy non-conforming balls and clubs, all OEMs know how. And the big name OEMs are in business to make a profit, they would make non-conforming equipment if there was a significant market. There’s not. So far it appears no one except you (15 to 1) would like to see non-conforming equipment allowed.

Well my friend you have not been around any of the big money games in Charlotte or Vegas. There anything goes as long as it is agreed on before hand. Some rules like 14 clubs is a normal disregard I seen guys with 30 clubs in a staff bag. If it was agreed on before hand Bandit balls were ok. And of course chap stick or vaselene on the club face is the norm.

Now I voted no on all of the above and do not want to be hypocritical . Technically if you look at my signature list my irons are non conforming and so is my wedge. Now I will concede part of that is the fact that they have not been submitted and tested.My irons are 80s remakes but made off of the original 70 dies. That was long before Ping ever thought of all the funky grooves. My Cleveland wedges do not have the Zip grooves even though they are old in fact they are older than any zip grooved wedges. I have contended before and to the USGA that they were legal on the date of manufacture. I do not play comps and big money matches any more so I play what I want to. For me I could give 2 hoots less what someone else plays. Hey they might out drive me with a illegal ball and driver but can they beat me. None of the groups I play in give 2 hoots what someone else plays either. But FTR IF and I say IF I play comp again or attempt a qualifier I have assembled a conforming set of MP68s and a Cally 56* PM wedge in my old Titleist staff bag. Just throw in my driver fairway and hybrid. But really I do not have any problem with what someone else plays

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G