TESTERS WANTED! ×

Still chasing the ace...

GregGarner

From Sunday's round -- I was feeling pretty good about this 8-iron from 162 and then it just... stopped. (I think my buddy was just as upset as I was. He thought it was in for sure.)

Anyone else still waiting on their first ace? Got any good stories to share about an 'almost' you've had?

20200524_173458.jpg

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

That's a nice shot.

I have several just a few inches below the cup on par 3s over 4 decades of golfing.   Couple of those close calls were overseas and couple of them locally.

It's no big deal on the gain for a lucky drop in,  get a mentioning in the local publication and some golf club gave a small H-I-O trophy, a few bucks from the bet..... but in some clubs I played, a Hole-In-One will cast the owner quite a bit of silver.  some traditional require the golfer who made the H-I=O to not just tip heavy on all the caddied within his own group, but 3 groups ahead of his group and another 3 behind.  Plus a dinner banquet for the same.   If the H-I-O  happened during a tournament, then everyone in the tournament will be invited to a dinner banquet.  I had heard story of tenth of thousands spent on such dinner banget.    

We were sitting down at the patio seats one day after I complete an 18 at my father's club with his friends, I heard a bell ringing........ Thought a fire had gone off.    It was a hole in one by a group on the back nine.  That club had H-I-O insurance included in the golfer's green fee / monthly due..... to cover a drink for everyone on the golf course when a H-I-O happens.

My special local drink of that day was a 7 Up mixed with a local draft beer ( Anchor Draft Beer ).  It's quite refreshing. 

Edited by release

Waiting on my first ace. Thinking it might not ever happen. Have had a alot of gimme birdie putts.

My best/worse story is probably from a golf trip with 7 other friends to Bandon, Oregon. On the second day we played Pacific Dunes. We were all humbled the day before at Bandon Dunes, but I was playing better today and doing a better job navigating through the the wind. I'm first to hit on #10. Gorgeous 165 yard par 3 with the ocean behind the hole. The wind is howling and is naturally against us and towards to right. One of those shots where you want to keep it low, but you are also hitting from an elevated tee box. My normal shot is a high fade, which is just going to stall and leak right so I have to change my game. Normally a 7 iron distance, I decide to hit a 5 iron. I'm aiming left center of the green and intending to hit a low stinger with a slight draw that hopefully holds its line in the wind.  This is not a shot I practice. And its no surprise I dont pull it off exactly, instead I hit a stinging low cut. Starting well left of where I intended it. But as soon as it started turning back the wind started helping it and all of a sudden it just looked perfect. Like a long putt that you know is in after 10 feet because its just on the right line. As it is about to land I'm thinking this is absolutely stiffed, and we have a decent amount of KP money of this and these guys are going to have no chance to get inside me. Literally, looks like it is landing on the flag. And that is of course when it did land on the flag. Unfortunately, the flag won the battle, and threw my ball 15 yards to the right, into some nasty rough on a severe down slope. Bladed my chip well long, and 2 putted for a bogey on what could have been. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

1 hour ago, release said:

That's a nice shot.

I have several just a few inches below the cup on par 3s over 4 decades of golfing.   Couple of those close calls were overseas and couple of them locally.

It's no big deal on eht gain for a lucky drop in, a mentioning in the local publication and some golf club gave a small H-I-O trophy, a few bucks from the bet..... but in some clubs I played, a Hole-In-One will cast the owner quite a bit of silver.  some traditional require the golfer who made the H-I=O to not just tip heavy on all the caddied within his own group, but 3 groups ahead of his group and another 3 behind.  Plus a dinner banquet for the same.   If the H-I-O  happened during a tournament, then everyone in the tournament will be invited to a dinner banquet.  I had heard story of tenth of thousands spent on such dinner banget.    

We were sitting down at the patio seats one day after I complete an 18 at my father's club with his friends, I heard a bell ringing........ Thought a fire had gone off.    It was a hole in one by a group on the back nine.  That club had H-I-O insurance included in the golfer's green fee / monthly due..... to cover a drink for everyone on the golf course when a H-I-O happens.

My special local drink of that day was a 7 Up mixed with a local draft beer ( Anchor Draft Beer ).  It's quite refreshing. 

YOWZA. I've heard of buying drinks for your group, but definitely not 3 ahead and 3 behind (let alone the whole clubhouse!). If that's the case, I'd almost certainly rather have an eagle on a par 5! 😄

1 hour ago, tchat07 said:

Had this one happen a few years back. It was at a Fundraiser Tournament and a Hole-in-one here was worth a new car haha. Definitely would have been a great time to make that but still won closest to the pin20200526_115200.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

NICE. I was in a group that had an ace during a charity tournament and the guy won $25k. But before he could collect, the sponsoring company went out of business. At least he still had the ace?

1 hour ago, scooterhd2 said:

Waiting on my first ace. Thinking it might not ever happen. Have had a alot of gimme birdie putts.

My best/worse story is probably from a golf trip with 7 other friends to Bandon, Oregon. On the second day we played Pacific Dunes. We were all humbled the day before at Bandon Dunes, but I was playing better today and doing a better job navigating through the the wind. I'm first to hit on #10. Gorgeous 165 yard par 3 with the ocean behind the hole. The wind is howling and is naturally against us and towards to right. One of those shots where you want to keep it low, but you are also hitting from an elevated tee box. My normal shot is a high fade, which is just going to stall and leak right so I have to change my game. Normally a 7 iron distance, I decide to hit a 5 iron. I'm aiming left center of the green and intending to hit a low stinger with a slight draw that hopefully holds its line in the wind.  This is not a shot I practice. And its no surprise I dont pull it off exactly, instead I hit a stinging low cut. Starting well left of where I intended it. But as soon as it started turning back the wind started helping it and all of a sudden it just looked perfect. Like a long putt that you know is in after 10 feet because its just on the right line. As it is about to land I'm thinking this is absolutely stiffed, and we have a decent amount of KP money of this and these guys are going to have no chance to get inside me. Literally, looks like it is landing on the flag. And that is of course when it did land on the flag. Unfortunately, the flag won the battle, and threw my ball 15 yards to the right, into some nasty rough on a severe down slope. Bladed my chip well long, and 2 putted for a bogey on what could have been. 

Oof. That stings. When I was a junior, I hit a 3 wood that one-hopped, hit the stick, and then came straight back about 20 yards into a water hazard. Sounds like we'd both be on board with flag sticks being a little more forgiving!

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

2 hours ago, greggarner said:

YOWZA. I've heard of buying drinks for your group, but definitely not 3 ahead and 3 behind (let alone the whole clubhouse!). If that's the case, I'd almost certainly rather have an eagle on a par 5! 😄

Back in the days, a packed tee sheet will cost the H-I-O owner a few thousands to buy a drink for everyone on the ground.  That's why there was an extra dollar in the green fee ( for the guests) / dues ( monthly  for the members) to buy the H-I-O insurance.  The drink will be an automatic pay out once verified.

Saw couple of inground brass plaque behind some of the par threes commemorating the H-I-O.  The owner of the H-I-O had to pay some fees to get the plaque custom made.

Locally there was a golf club made of mostly Asian members and over the years they had a few H-I-O during their monthly tournament, and banquets were thrown for those occasions.  I overheard a $12K dinner with drinks were given one time for the members ( 120 +- ) and their immediate family members ( roughly 300+ at the banquet ).  No insurance were available that time....... Crazy !

Edited by release

I'm 53, play golf almost every day, and I've never had one.   I've only seen 3 in person and all of them have taken place in the last 18 months or so. Maybe it means that mine is right around the corner🤪

#1 happened at the club championship and the guy in my foursome refused to take the 9 stroke max limit on holes.  He was rocking a score of about 125 thru 16 before he aced #17.

#2 was in a scramble and the guy bombed a driver into the flag on a par 4 to drop straight into the hole.

#3 was also in a scramble and the guy won a car.  The guy kept crying the rest of the round and the dealership made everyone's life miserable for the next week trying to scare us into recanting even though they had 4 employees on the hole to witness.  Would have been OK with missing this one.

Driver: Titleist 917 10.5*
3 Wood: Titliest 917
Hybrid: Titleist 818

Irons: Mizuno JPX 850 Forged w/ True Temper XP 115

Wedges: Volkey SM5 M Grind 54° & 58°; 8° bounce

Putter: 2016 Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Notchback

Grips: Golf Pride MCCPlus4 midsized

Preferred ball: Bridgestone Tour B-RX, ProV 1X

This is a picture that not many people have who aren't professionals.  This is the 6th hole at Westwood country club.  Nov 2018.  I have had two holes-in-one on this dastardly hole as well as placing more than my share of balls in the lake that guards the front of the green.  Go over the green and you are in the sand trap probably with a downhill lie hitting onto the green that runs away from you.  One foot past the green and it's back to the lake.  Gives me nightmares.   Anyway on this fine day I struck a perfect 6 iron into the wind playing with my wife and our guest.  Now my wife takes pictures of everything and she happens to hop out of the cart unbeknownst to me and snaps this photo.  The ball is is the air on the way to going into the hole!   I drew a little arrow so you can see the ball in the air.  She almost took a video which would have been better.   They both saw it go in but I couldn't really tell so I do have a video of me walking from the tee box to the hole with them screaming the entire time.  Yep, one bounce and in.  They made so much noise that everyone on the course knew I aced it so by the time I got to the clubhouse everyone had used up my entire (insurance) bar tab.  I got a diet coke!  But hey I have a picture of that shot and that is priceless.

holeinone_LI.jpg

41 minutes ago, PDT816 said:

I'm 53, play golf almost every day, and I've never had one.   I've only seen 3 in person and all of them have taken place in the last 18 months or so. Maybe it means that mine is right around the corner🤪

#1 happened at the club championship and the guy in my foursome refused to take the 9 stroke max limit on holes.  He was rocking a score of about 125 thru 16 before he aced #17.

#2 was in a scramble and the guy bombed a driver into the flag on a par 4 to drop straight into the hole.

#3 was also in a scramble and the guy won a car.  The guy kept crying the rest of the round and the dealership made everyone's life miserable for the next week trying to scare us into recanting even though they had 4 employees on the hole to witness.  Would have been OK with missing this one.

I dont know if #1 is giving me hope or is sending me into a deeper depression. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

2 minutes ago, Golfhandds said:

This is a picture that not many people have who aren't professionals.  This is the 6th hole at Westwood country club.  Nov 2018.  I have had two holes-in-one on this dastardly hole as well as placing more than my share of balls in the lake that guards the front of the green.  Go over the green and you are in the sand trap probably with a downhill lie hitting onto the green that runs away from you.  One foot past the green and it's back to the lake.  Gives me nightmares.   Anyway on this fine day I struck a perfect 6 iron into the wind playing with my wife and our guest.  Now my wife takes pictures of everything and she happens to hop out of the cart unbeknownst to me and snaps this photo.  The ball is is the air on the way to going into the hole!   I drew a little arrow so you can see the ball in the air.  She almost took a video which would have been better.   They both saw it go in but I couldn't really tell so I do have a video of me walking from the tee box to the hole with them screaming the entire time.  Yep, one bounce and in.  They made so much noise that everyone on the course knew I aced it so by the time I got to the clubhouse everyone had used up my entire (insurance) bar tab.  I got a diet coke!  But hey I have a picture of that shot and that is priceless.

holeinone_LI.jpg

Incredible! Frame it!

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

52 years old and still chasing the ace. Scared the hole and Ive hit the stick many times. but cant seem to  get er done. Driving me nuts.  Im about ready to play par 3s and executive courses to increase my odds. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

On 5/26/2020 at 10:54 AM, greggarner said:

From Sunday's round -- I was feeling pretty good about this 8-iron from 162 and then it just... stopped. (I think my buddy was just as upset as I was. He thought it was in for sure.)

Anyone else still waiting on their first ace? Got any good stories to share about an 'almost' you've had?

20200524_173458.jpg

Keep hitting them, when you least expect one will go in.

My Reviews:

2023 Official review - Rapsodo MLM2Pro!

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg