Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Alternates to Walking (No Motor Carts)

With COVID-19 and the fact that I work in the Oil&Gas industry, I've got a severely limited budget with no room for GOLF.

So I've been looking for ways to play with cut costs. One way of course, is to walk the course. However, since I am also limited, physically, with foot and leg issues, I'm considering adapting my fat tire bike to hold my clubs and ride the course.

Has anyone tried to do this? I'm wondering how agreeable most courses would be to allowing me to ride my bike.

I've come across a bike trailer that would be perfect as a bag cart: https://www.burley.com/product/travoy/

I guess my ideal solution would be: https://www.finnscooters.com, but that's definitely out of the budget.

I would appreciate any other Ideas!

In my  :callaway-small: 2018 Org14 Cart Bag I have:

:callaway-small: Epic Max 10.5°

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Fairway 3W 15° & 5W 18°, Project X Even Flow 65-R

:callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3-H 18° (+2° set to 20°), Steelfiber fc-75

:callaway-small: 2019 Big Bertha 4-PW, UST Mamiya Recoil ZT9 460 Graphite

:callaway-small: 2019 PM Grind Tour Grey 56/14, JAWS MD5 52/10

:odyssey-small: Triple Track DoubleWide, Stroke Lab 32in shaft, SuperStroke WristLock Grip

:callaway-small: Chrome Soft Yellow, Triple Track, Truvis, Supersoft, Kirkland 3-piece

7 minutes ago, digitaltexan said:

I'm wondering how agreeable most courses would be to allowing me to ride my bike.

Most courses would NOT allow you to bring a traditional bicycle on their course, but I am sure there would be exceptions - so you won't know unless you ask some course.

I'll be surprised if you see any of the purpose built 2-wheeled personal golf machines/scooters like the Finn Cycle adopted by many courses. There would be WAY more wipeouts than with a conventional 2 person 4 wheel golf cart, and no course would want the headache of fighting liabilities for them. But we'll see, they make a lot of sense otherwise.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

Taking your own fat tire bike is an interesting idea - don't see why a course would prohibit it (other than to force you to rent their cart), but if they allow it I'd guess it's possible they'd ask you to stay on the cart path? FYI, there is a Golf Bike company, but they ain't cheap either starting at $795; then there's the Golf Board, that you stand on and ride, but they're also $$$.... Good luck with whatever you come up with!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I"d be surprised if most courses would let you take a bicycle on them.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

Most courses allow personal carts but you have to pay a "trail fee" These fees vary by type. One day , full season, storage fees for them to keep it and charge it if you don't live on the course. Unless you lived on the course and played three times a week it wouldn't pay to bring your own type (cart, finn scooter, or the skate board type) The key is to not damage the course turfgrass. You would probably have to show the course the bicycle tires width for approval and probably sign a waiver. Then discuss a trail fee. I did see pictures of someone who modified a bicycle to hold a golf bag on the back behind the rear wheel. 

The finnscooter is way cool. Got to try one at Caladonia in Myrtle Beach. The rental on those was ridiculous. Something like an extra 40 bucks. So I asked to try it before I rented it. Rode it around for a bit as the attendant left for a bathroom run. It's missing a beverage holder! But it was FUN. Those are as expensive as buying a golf cart.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Found it. golfbike.com  was at the PGA show.

• Guests
Guest Delete
5 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Found it. golfbike.com  was at the PGA show.

I think you meant thegolfbike.com 

https://thegolfbike.com/shop-2/ 

Looks interesting. Seems like you could take any fat tire bike, put a rear cargo stand, and make a two sided golf bag to fit on it. 

The bike they chose had a low center of gravity and low step over height to make it easy to get on and off. 

The concern I would have is the stand to keep it from falling over. It would seem to need a large pad to keep it from digging into the turf. I would like to see a two sided support stand like in a moped. This would keep the bike upright and more stable. 

If I was designing something like this it would be an electric power assisted scooter with golf cart tires in front and back

14 hours ago, TimoTe said:

I think you meant thegolfbike.com 

https://thegolfbike.com/shop-2/ 

Looks interesting. Seems like you could take any fat tire bike, put a rear cargo stand, and make a two sided golf bag to fit on it. 

The bike they chose had a low center of gravity and low step over height to make it easy to get on and off. 

The concern I would have is the stand to keep it from falling over. It would seem to need a large pad to keep it from digging into the turf. I would like to see a two sided support stand like in a moped. This would keep the bike upright and more stable. 

If I was designing something like this it would be an electric power assisted scooter with golf cart tires in front and back

Your correct on  "thegolfbike com.

What you described is out on the market as well. It's called the Fat Tire Golf Scooter. As a former motorcycle rider I always seem to be interested in two wheel alternatives for the golf course. Safer than being on the road these days. They just all seem to be more of a pain getting them to and from the course. And boy are they expensive for what they are.

fattiregolfscooter.com

I also saw a golf pull cart type of trailer that you tow behind a bicycle. That might be of interest to the original topic.

• 1 year later...