Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

The GOAT is not an 8.

I watched the Tiger, Phil, Peyton Manning and “the GOAT” Tom Brady charity match. Great event for an amazing cause. Do you think the cameras, the microphones, playing with the pros, the weather or just golf made Tom play that way?  Is he the 8 handicap that they said he is? In the meantime, Peyton played some amazing golf. Your thought?

Titleist 917D3 Driver

Ping 3 wood

Nickent 3Hybrid

PXG Gen 3 Irons 3-PW

Ping Sigma 2 Blade Putter

ProV1x golf balls

8 handicaps can have a bad rounds and still maintain an 8. 
While he is used to performing on tv and in front of fans he does that in an activity that he is used to where as here he was outside his comfort zone. Pro athletes get nervous before they compete even in their chosen sport so I’m pretty sure he had some nerves going on here, then add in bad weather and most amateurs will have some bad days.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Touring pro's can shoot 84 in a tournament! It happens, its golf and why we love it.

As a 2.3 handicap I could shoot 65 then a week later 81

Now as a 6 I can still shoot below par rarely and well above par consistently.

But I still have fun!

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

3 minutes ago, jlukes said:

I'm a 3.8 and shot 84 on the same course I shot 77 on 4 days earlier. 

It's called golf and golf is hard. 

You don't think it's plausible for an 8 Handicap to go out onto an unfamiliar PGA Tour Level course in the pouring rain, in front of two of the best golfers of all time, and struggle? 

Back in 2013 I was playing off a 5.1 and shot a 90 at a course much harder than what I was used to. After taking the last two years off and going through a swing change my HC is coming back down but man, that round was a nightmare. Definitely can't hold that round against Brady.

In my Vessel-removebg-preview.png.afd31301c874ee24a33a6c5f06f4ab98.png Lux XV Cart Bag:
Driver: image.png.0d0a9c800176ad44335fd0a7facba020.png RADSPEED XB PTC 10.5° Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 VII Stiff
Utility: callaway-golf-vector-logo-removebg-preview.png.1467fda9195e29c96aa5066f048e91b9.png Apex UW 17° and 19° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 70 6.0
4 Hybrid: image.png.0d0a9c800176ad44335fd0a7facba020.png KING LTDx 21° KBS PGI 85 Stiff
Irons: image.png.66179558e8e55b8b35b741c037395846.png ZX5/ZX7 Project X LZ 6.0
Wedges: image.png.620c54f7108fefbf49a94ba169f19081.png 2.0 49°, 53°, 57° Project X LZ 6.0
Putter: L.A.B. DF3 34"/67°
Ball: MaxFli.png.395dd0dca3a12529f636728b3e66a134.png Tour (Thanks MGS for allowing me to test these!)

Check out my Official MGS Reviews Below!
:skycaddie: LX5 Watch - Link Here!

MaxFli.png.395dd0dca3a12529f636728b3e66a134.png Tour and TourX Golf Balls - Link Here!

image.png.28a3be9c497202cfc8176faecf8777ad.png Approach S70 Watch - Link Here!

I fall in that 7-10 range and there are times I get on the course and play like a 20+ even when conditions are good. Course setup, length, conditions all play a factor for in how you play.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

It was just one round. I’m not sure why the media and social media are getting so hyped up. The reality is amateur golfers are neither as good nor as bad as they say they are. It’s the whole “one that got away....” complex.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

First, Tom Brady is not the GOAT. But that's a discussion for a different forum.

Second, definition time: A handicap is a numerical measure of a golfer's potential that is used to enable players of varying abilities to compete against one another. 

TB for sure has the potential to shoot quality golf scores. He also, like all golfers, has the potential to have a bad day. It makes for something to talk about because there is nothing else really to talk about, but in the grand scheme of things, it's a nothing story.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

I can certainly see it both ways here. In my very unprofessional opinion I think his swing looked better than Manning's, but obviously the results weren't great. Would I be shaking uncontrollably if I was golfing with Tiger and Phil on national TV? You betcha!!

That being said, you'd think a single digit handicapper would know how penalty areas work, or might have a few more bright spots in a round, even if there might have been some shaky shots in there. But hey, in the end he's payed to play football not golf, and they ended up raising ballpark $20mil I believe, which ultimately was the goal. Not to mention they ended up having a chance to tie it up towards the back end!

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

46 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

I can certainly see it both ways here. In my very unprofessional opinion I think his swing looked better than Manning's, but obviously the results weren't great. Would I be shaking uncontrollably if I was golfing with Tiger and Phil on national TV? You betcha!!

That being said, you'd think a single digit handicapper would know how penalty areas work, or might have a few more bright spots in a round, even if there might have been some shaky shots in there. But hey, in the end he's payed to play football not golf, and they ended up raising ballpark $20mil I believe, which ultimately was the goal. Not to mention they ended up having a chance to tie it up towards the back end!

How many pros don’t know all the rules? i know low caps that are lacking in rules knowledge while having buddies who are mid-high cap that have a god grasp on the rules. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

48 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

That being said, you'd think a single digit handicapper would know how penalty areas work

You would think but you'd be surprised how many people build their handicap using questionable drops, breakfast balls, and gimmies.  Once you put them in an environment with strict adherence to the rules, the wheels fall off. 

:wilson_staff_small: :taylormade-small: :cobra-small: :touredgeexotics: :cleveland-small: :PXG:               

Cobra SpeedZone 9*
TourEdge EXS 18* 
TourEdge C721 22*H
PXG 0211 DC 6-P + G
Cleveland Zipcore Full Face 52/58*
Wilson Staff Infinite Michigan Ave
Taylormade Tour Response

I've certainly seen 8's have this sort of day.  I've certainly had this sort of day or more accurately I've had some pretty bad days even as a 1 or 2 and they weren't at courses that were nearly as tough as the Medalist.  The QBs were playing from a distance that the FLGA recommends for expert male golfers - 6,800 at Sea Level.  Throw in the conditions, the nerves, the partnerships and anything would be possible.

BTW I have no clue why I can't get this off of italics - that's not normal for me.  I guess when typing handicap will take a hit. 🙂

And just a minute - did someone write that they suspect that Tom Brady may bend the rules a bit when he plays golf.  Really, not a chance. (There may be a touch of sarcasm here)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

10 minutes ago, Shankster said:

The GOAT played well.

His game is very similar to mine. He obviously hates the driver. Started hitting long irons off the tee... money.

Plus that hole out.

I’m around a 8 - 10 I suppose don’t keep. Handicap. I can go post a 100 right now.

Why? Because I’m a mechanic.

Cant agree with this more. I am an 8 and have my off days. Same thing off the tee can be bad so I swap to my hybrids or long irons. I can also post a 72 on any given day and on the opposite end post 100...thats why I am an 8

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

I'm an 8.X and can easily see myself getting into the same trouble that Tommy did.  Some times the swing just isn't there.  And with the rainy conditions they played in, I would probably have been right with him.  

I also found it telling that he wasn't playing with a driver.... He's obviously not comfortable with his long game right now, so it's no surprise he struggled off the tee.  He played better once he settled in, but those first few holes were a nightmare start. 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

nerves. ive seen him play before in other events and he has a decent swing. And of course he did hole out from 150 with a beautiful shot with a little pullback. Dont see alot of 18s doing that. im nervous on the first tee box of a golf tournament. cant imagine playing on national tv. and homie ripped his pants. that is what you have nightmares about. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

Does it really matter? The number is out for the public to see so I can't see him deflating (see what I did) his handicap for all to see. The course, weather, competition, etc., all play into a good or bad day. Just remember one thing, he goes home to Gisele every night.

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

I dont believe he's a legit 8.  I watched him play and Im a 15 and I honestly think that I could beat him.  I just looked at how many tee shots he hit OB and how he just seemed to have absolutely no ability to recover from any bad shot and just dont believe it.

Perhaps he is an 8 at an executive course that he plays all the time where he can bend the rules and no one cares but no way in heck is he a legit 8 when he counts every stroke and actually plays by the rules.  Brady and the Pats have a history of bending the rules in football though, so maybe he does that in golf too.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Great perspectives. I love this place. Everyone gave some great feedback and reasonable conversations. Thanks. 

Titleist 917D3 Driver

Ping 3 wood

Nickent 3Hybrid

PXG Gen 3 Irons 3-PW

Ping Sigma 2 Blade Putter

ProV1x golf balls