Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Surprised at fitting

Got fitted for some Mizunos and hit a variety of shats and heads. I hit a bunch heads and shafts last September but never looked  at swing speed.

The guy working with me decided to put the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer to use and I was surprised to find myself being fitted for a DG X shaft and several other X shafts. My swing speed was just inside what he considered X so I hit a few different X shafts. I liked them but didnt going that route. He said the optimizer seens to edge to the stiffer side and the fact Im not in my prime so ended up at a KBS 130 shaft.  I do think the dispersion a bit tighter with a couple yards lost in distance.

I ordered some buttery 919 Tours in 5-,pw. Its going to be a ling wait to get them.in my bag. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

S he probably showed you swing speed is only one factor that goes into determining shaft flex.

Like the topic of jacked lofts I’m hoping the notion of swing speed being used to determine shaft flex or shaft characteristics goes away. Not knocking on you, but so many threads across forums asking what shaft to play for a certain swing speed. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, pulledabill said:

Got fitted for some Mizunos and hit a variety of shats and heads. I hit a bunch heads and shafts last September but never looked  at swing speed.

The guy working with me decided to put the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer to use and I was surprised to find myself being fitted for a DG X shaft and several other X shafts. My swing speed was just inside what he considered X so I hit a few different X shafts. I liked them but didnt going that route. He said the optimizer seens to edge to the stiffer side and the fact Im not in my prime so ended up at a KBS 130 shaft.  I do think the dispersion a bit tighter with a couple yards lost in distance.

I ordered some buttery 919 Tours in 5-,pw. Its going to be a ling wait to get them.in my bag. 

Some of the tour players in their prime was not using X flex in their irons ( and they are in their Prime ).  The label on the shafts were not always an accurate indication of what type of shaft was in use.  Most use a heavier shaft forgo the stiffer profile.  TW used to us TTDG X100 but believe he's using the TTDG S400 recently.   So was the story of many of the other pourplayers, that the shaft band really did not indicate the true flex of the iron shaft they use.

I know for a fact some of the Champion Tour players use R flex shafts in their irons but had a shaft band indicating otherwise. 

I'm sure you could handle an X flex in the irons, but would you be comfortable wearing it throughout your round ?   How about if you decided to add another 9 or another 18 after your round ?  Would you still be able to command the X flex shaft in the irons ?    flex in the shorter sticks are quite different than the flex in the longer sticks.

If you could go to the driving range and hit lots of ( 60+ ) of range balls with your 7 irons without losing any steam then, it's the right shaft for you.

16 minutes ago, release said:

Some of the tour players in their prime was not using X flex in their irons ( and they are in their Prime ).  The label on the shafts were not always an accurate indication of what type of shaft was in use.  Most use a heavier shaft forgo the stiffer profile.  TW used to us TTDG X100 but believe he's using the TTDG S400 recently.   So was the story of many of the other pourplayers, that the shaft band really did not indicate the true flex of the iron shaft they use.

I know for a fact some of the Champion Tour players use R flex shafts in their irons but had a shaft band indicating otherwise. 

I'm sure you could handle an X flex in the irons, but would you be comfortable wearing it throughout your round ?   How about if you decided to add another 9 or another 18 after your round ?  Would you still be able to command the X flex shaft in the irons ?    flex in the shorter sticks are quite different than the flex in the longer sticks.

If you could go to the driving range and hit lots of ( 60+ ) of range balls with your 7 irons without losing any steam then, it's the right shaft for you.

He still uses the x100 in his irons. The tour issue s400 is in his wedges. This is typical setup of pros who use x100 in irons 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

9 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

He still uses the x100 in his irons. The tour issue s400 is in his wedges. This is typical setup of pros who use x100 in irons 

I know someone will dispute this, but, it's okay to believe what the media is given you.

Used to be is not always set in stone forever.

I know someone will dispute this, but, it's okay to believe what the media is given you.

What is the source for your information? Do you have access to the Darrell Survey results?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, release said:

Used to be what? There’s no use for be in anything I said. Tiger still plays x100 in his irons. Pros typically play a softer flex in irons, those with x100 play s400. Justin Thomas uses the same setup. 

Feel free to post whatever source you have that shows Tiger isn’t using x100. TaylorMade sells his exact setup.

Edit: Here is confirmation that he’s still using x100 in irons and s400 in wedges

https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/tiger-woods-witb-2020/

2 hours ago, release said:

You mean to look into the player's bag and copy what is on the shaft band ?

You indicated/implied that the media description of Tiger's shafts are incorrect.   What is your source for this information and what makes it more credible than the media?  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

55 minutes ago, cnosil said:

You indicated/implied that the media description of Tiger's shafts are incorrect.   What is your source for this information and what makes it more credible than the media?  

Yeah hard to not trust the guys from golf.com when they report witb from the winners every week on tour or when they do a witb the breakdown on pros bags like this article from the other day Or as mentioned earlier when the brand that makes his clubs are selling his exact specs including the shafts. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/golf.com/gear/tiger-woods-in-the-bag-2020-match-taylormade/amp/

Guys, he can't hear you through the tinfoil hat.

Sorry dude, but there are WAAAYYYY too many reputable sources stating Tiger's current specs to believe anything you say has merit without providing a good source. Besides, do you really think pros care what shaft label is placed on their clubs? They play golf for a living - no need for egos and machismo as far as equipment is concerned.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

On 5/27/2020 at 9:44 AM, pulledabill said:

I could see how the Mizuno Optimizer is programmed to er towards a stiffer profile (safe-guarding against the potential of improved play and increased swing speed with younger players). Good logical decision to stick with the softer profile.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour