TESTERS WANTED! ×

Brandon Matthew Putters Experience/Review

beelzeberto

logo-003.png.dc8e00a3355c2a63e61422fef7911c21.png

Brandon Matthew Website

My review of the No 2 from Brandon Matthew Putters/experience with BMP.

I first heard about Brandon Matthews on a different forum and went to his instagram (click me to go) to see what he was about. I liked what I saw and went to the website to check on ordering a custom (Custom Order Form)

The initial process was fairly easy for the most part. You go to the website, click on the custom order tab which takes you to a description of all of the options you can choose along with a drop down menu of what you want.

You then fill in some boxes and give a brief description of what you want, download and fill out a template to submit back to the website.

Brandon initially got back to me within a day as I gave him two options. We exchanged another email, I settled on a design ala Hideki Matsuyama, I got my invoice and paid on 03/24/20. Off to the races we go!

I went with a No2 trisole in a satin mist finish, welded plumbers neck, standard loft and lie, 34”, 345g, with a black shaft and grip, and a more softened look on the lines. Minimal stamping with one black dot on the heel of the face with a bear on the inside, one black dot in the cavity, my initials separated by a lightning bolt, "NOT MADE FOR THE TOUR" on the sole, and a site dot.

I emailed a couple of times after I ordered and got no response, so I messaged his IG on 04/03/20 and got a reply back in 45 mins. So if you’re looking for answers quickly, it is in your best interest to hit up his DM’s on IG. I don’t know why I didn’t do this originally. Derrp.

With his reply on 04/03 he stated turnaround time is generally two weeks from order to completion.  Awesome, I ordered on 03/24 so it shouldn't be that long.

I didn't hear anything after that message, and once I saw he posted a teaser of the sole of my putter on IG on 04/08, I messaged him asking for any progress pics he had (I knew it was my sole because how many people have "not made for the tour" anywhere on their putter). He replied back that he was wrapping up the finish that day and would shoot me some pics. I thought to myself "self, that was a quick turnaround time".

I messaged on 04/10/20 politely asking for some progress pics with the response being it should by wrapped up and paint filled that day and he would take pics after. We confirmed finalized paint colors right after that.

04/13 he sent me a picture of the face with my initials stamped and said he just had to add the branding to the toe for me and it would be out the door and on it's way to me.

04/15 he sent me a picture of his branding on the toe and said he was wrapping it up that day and should ship by the end of that day, west coast time. I asked for finalized pics and he responded back with once the paint cures he would send me some pics. 😂

04/17 he messaged saying he forgot to send me the pics and also to tell me that he didn’t have the matte black shaft I ordered, that he was out of them and the distributor wouldn’t have them in stock until 04/30. He shafted it with a regular shaft and offered to send me a black shaft in two weeks with his hands being tied to the Covid-19 shutdown. Full pics were then sent of the putter with that message.

I said don’t worry about the shaft just refund the difference or get me expedited shipping, he said he would look at the cost of faster shipping and then get back to me.

Putter shipped Saturday 04/18/20.

Putter received Tuesday 04/21/20.

I was stoked to get the putter only to open the box and immediately notice some issues with the putter.

First things first though. The good things about the putter were the welds were tight and looked awesome, the finish was solid minus a sole blemish that I'll get into, the stamping had character to it, and the milling was fantastic (not too deep, not too light).

I'm not a fan of a perfectly stamped putter. There has to be some character to the stamps. Besides what you're telling them to stamp, that character is what makes it truly yours and a custom. At least in my opinion.

Now for the not so good things.

There was goop or adhesive left over from install all up and down the shaft, along with staining on the grip with said adhesive, tape/adhesive sticking out from the grip as well as the grip not being centered/properly aligned. There was also a stain on the sole from where something bled onto it during the shipping process.

It took me a second to gather my thoughts after the initial disappointment, take pics, then shoot Brandon a polite message about the issues. I realize things like these happen with newer companies so I didn’t want to be a complete knobber about it and go off the rails about everything.

He was highly apologetic for what happened and offered to have the putter shipped back to him at his cost to have everything fixed and then expedite shipping back to me. Said it would take two days to get to him, a day for him to fix and then another two days back. As I had already waited this long for the putter I declined and thanked him for his offer.

He stated that the guys who he uses for install of grip and shaft are usually top notch, so he wasn’t sure what happened this time. Brandon also said that I was the second person to have that drip stain on their putter and he figured it had to be the new lubricant he was using. We exchanged a couple more messages about the issue and that was that.

While it was a bummer that these things happened, the grip was immediately changed because I didn't like it, and the shaft cleaned up easy with goo gone and an x-acto knife for the remaining tape. Eventually the stain on the sole came out with some elbow grease. While I shouldn't have had to do this, it was an easy fix.

The putter cost $500 to have made and was over the two week quoted time frame he gave. The two week extra wait wasn't that bad but the repeated messages of "it'll be finished today" or "I'll have you pics soon" was the worst part. His communication isn’t the best and was rather poor considering the communication that other putter makers have and who deal in higher volumes and have a more solid reputation in the industry amongst gear hoes like myself.

BUT, I haven’t seen another person with any issues from Brandon so I guess I was the outlier, which once again is expected with most companies. You can’t knock all of them out of the park.

It sucks that it was me, but given my history of reviewing products in another sport I'm typically pretty level headed in these types of situations and I handle them better than most. His customer service was appropriate for the situation and there was no flaw in the actual important parts of the product. I thought about getting another putter done by him as he released the No 3 which is like a Tyson Lamb Camden/Olson MFG Retro/Cameron #1 shape, but decided not to and will try out another putter maker when the time is right.

I’ve rolled putts with the No 2 for five days a week since I received it on the 21st of April. I've putted outside at the course and on a practice putting mat indoors. I would say there have been at least 100 putts a day on this putter, you do the math with how many strokes that is because I'm terrible at math.

The Brandon Matthew No 2 rolls the ball true and has a fantastic muted sound when you hit the sweet spot, and a louder brash click when you don’t so the feedback is phenominal with this putter. It feels better off the face than an OTR SC (and I've owned quite a few).

All in all I’m glad I purchased the putter even with the issues I had regarding poor communication and the cosmetic blemishes. It's been a solid putter and has become a trusty piece of equipment for me.

Do some more research on your own, check out his IG, ask other people who have a putter from him and see if it’s what you dig or want to take a chance on. He specializes in lefty putters so if you’re heavy left handed and candid, I would say he’s your guy.

I know that was a long read but hope you enjoyed my review of the experience I had with Brandon Matthew Putters. NOW ON WITH THE PICS

4QG3UPSXH5PD.jpeg.54ac880dcb3bfec1fd7b64625488db36.jpeg

UMEVAJJLVHFD.jpeg.3120978f3c2d900426308d1bb6c7f5e2.jpeg

EQGDKTLRSB1D.jpeg.de60ac12a5e984c2364203699a916734.jpeg

4CMOH372G6K8.jpeg.06e2fb90ae23cdfab6ef2e221824b28e.jpeg

GYPNI5WRGKNQ.jpeg.9fed44943a75d8a17feea0d5cffea300.jpeg

PQG1NBTUB47D.jpeg.08babf896a97902127ea75913435ead8.jpeg

1637478768_ScreenShot2020-05-27at4_00_46PM.thumb.png.3694e0d105bbf13c38c501a4d8d889cc.png

1741558165_ScreenShot2020-05-27at4_00_59PM.thumb.png.58561d778125a5b3e3f10430944b56d3.png

1930422516_ScreenShot2020-05-27at4_01_13PM.thumb.png.1ccf2772193c18474e2e4beb3b38f154.png

356329398_ScreenShot2020-05-27at3_59_59PM.thumb.png.d971df9ede471ca7ac3eb13f6299760d.png

Pics of blemishes on the putter

445069719_ScreenShot2020-05-27at4_01_37PM.thumb.png.5cf9ccc10a0ec7e4da778a85ecd0f0e8.png924431371_ScreenShot2020-05-27at4_01_48PM.thumb.png.97725f604b8d239d2fb9af9b2c8b63b4.png1274543147_ScreenShot2020-05-27at4_02_01PM.thumb.png.d3fb980df99bf514f32dab4697431cef.png1476687960_ScreenShot2020-05-27at4_01_26PM.thumb.png.1f6815b2b08348e86088f91fd8da37c6.png

TM.png

Sim / M2 / MG

Z785

Brandon Matthews No2 - Not Made for the Tour
"buy the ticket, take the ride..."

Wow. Thanks for the write up and honest review. Lot of details here.

First, I agree with you that communication is key. And you shouldn't have to hunt someone down or go about all methods of communication. Sounds like emails worked just fine when you were ordering, so no excuse not to answer them later. Glad IG messages worked, but that wouldn't work that well for me. For that price, I am expecting responses to emails. Even if they are just, "view my IG for progress pics." 

Second, the condition the putter shipped in is inexcusable. Don't care who put it together, before it goes in the box it needs to meet certain criteria, especially if you are putting your name on the putter and company. That grip is ruined. And you shouldnt be the one polishing the head and shaft. I'm expecting better quality control from a one off custom anything. Of course, blemishes will happen with practice and gaming the putter, but you should earn those war wounds. 

Finally, I will say the actual putter head looks great. The milling and stamping look really nice. The welding looks great. Some of the paint fill is an A+, other spots are a B+, but all in all is a great looking putter. If you had just showed the finished, cleaned, regripped putter without the backstory we would all drooling over it. Well done. I like your Hideki idea, and it did come to life. It's one of a kind, it's you, it's a story to tell. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

Terrific write up - I saw his work just recently as more time on the computer has allowed me to do more thoughtless golf searches.  I really like the number 3 as well like you mentioned.  Similar to your thoughts, the milling looks ideal to me in terms of the depth.  I hope it works as well for you on the course as it looks. 

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

20 hours ago, scooterhd2 said:

Wow. Thanks for the write up and honest review. Lot of details here.

First, I agree with you that communication is key. And you shouldn't have to hunt someone down or go about all methods of communication. Sounds like emails worked just fine when you were ordering, so no excuse not to answer them later. Glad IG messages worked, but that wouldn't work that well for me. For that price, I am expecting responses to emails. Even if they are just, "view my IG for progress pics." 

Second, the condition the putter shipped in is inexcusable. Don't care who put it together, before it goes in the box it needs to meet certain criteria, especially if you are putting your name on the putter and company. That grip is ruined. And you shouldnt be the one polishing the head and shaft. I'm expecting better quality control from a one off custom anything. Of course, blemishes will happen with practice and gaming the putter, but you should earn those war wounds. 

Finally, I will say the actual putter head looks great. The milling and stamping look really nice. The welding looks great. Some of the paint fill is an A+, other spots are a B+, but all in all is a great looking putter. If you had just showed the finished, cleaned, regripped putter without the backstory we would all drooling over it. Well done. I like your Hideki idea, and it did come to life. It's one of a kind, it's you, it's a story to tell. 

Thanks man, I tried to detail everything as it happened since he was a newer company trying to get a foot in the market. Lots of putter makers popping up these days so it's interesting to see how they all work in regards to customer service and quality.

I'm not exactly sure who shipped the putter, whether it was him or the people who did the shaft/grip install. I don't think he did judging by his response but whoever shipped it definitely should've done some QC checks before packaging and shipping. I'm going to take some photos of the putter now after it's been rolled quite a bit over the past month.

Not a lot has changed so far as I take good care of my putters since they're the most important thing I use.

I am really happy with putter and how it performs/feels though. The actual quality of the head is nice.

TM.png

Sim / M2 / MG

Z785

19 hours ago, juspoole said:

Terrific write up - I saw his work just recently as more time on the computer has allowed me to do more thoughtless golf searches.  I really like the number 3 as well like you mentioned.  Similar to your thoughts, the milling looks ideal to me in terms of the depth.  I hope it works as well for you on the course as it looks. 

He definitely has some great looking putters he's posted. He told me mine got a lot of traction and questions on his IG for the simplicity and looks of it.

That No 3 though, i love that shape.

TM.png

Sim / M2 / MG

Z785

Great bit of writing.  I love the idea and looks of boutique putters like these and their usually very open look into their manufacturing process.  I would say his welding and his machining both get an A+.

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

Great write up and a nice looking putter that should give you years of service.
As far as the communication that’s pretty common. I purchased many custom putters over the years and most of them a One Man shows and run pretty thin. I never had any of them except Xenon be close to promise delivery, have to be patient.
Have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Thanks for the detailed review! And that stick is looking good!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT